Whats Happened To 'this Man'

Guest melandthensome

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

unsure.gif This man on Wand.......whats happened to him :lol:

I saw Wally Cox performing as a backing singer for Paul Anka at Ceasar's palace in Las Vegas in 1980 .....

If the guy of the photograph / record sleeve is the same Wally Cox , he must have had a block booking at his local sun bed parlour before I saw him , as he had one hell of a tan ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I saw Wally Cox performing as a backing singer for Paul Anka at Ceasar's palace in Las Vegas in 1980 .....

If the guy of the photograph / record sleeve is the same Wally Cox , he must have had a block booking at his local sun bed parlour before I saw him , as he had one hell of a tan ......

Malc Burton

Surely you can remember this Malc ?

The Adventures Of Hiram HollidayUSA, NBC (California National Productions), Sitcom, B/W, 1956Starring: Wally Cox, Ainslie PryorA charming sitcom based on the short stories by Paul Gallico (published in 1939) about a bespectacled, meek, mild-mannered newspaperman with amazing powers. No, not Superman but plain old Hiram Holliday who, while working as a proof-reader for a New York newspaper, has accrued amazing skills in a huge variety of areas, from swordfencing to scuba-diving. When Hiram corrects a potentially damaging error in his newspaper, the relieved proprietor rewards him with an around-the-world trip to indulge all of his startling technical powers. Holliday is accompanied by a reporter, Joel Smith, to record the resulting adventures. Our self-effacing hero, who lives only to help others, saves the day for many of those that cross his path.

The part of Hiram Holliday was played by night-club comedian Wally Cox, who had already scored a notable TV success with his portrayal of a bespectacled, meek, mild-mannered science teacher in Mr Peepers (NBC, 1952-55), not screened in Britain.

Note. The Adventures Of Hiram Holliday was the first sitcom to be 'stripped' on British television - a TV term meaning that it was screened in the same slot on consecutive days, the BBC showing it Mondays through Fridays around 7pm when its current affairs programme Tonight was taking seasonal breaks. BBC1 repeated 13 episodes from 22 February to 24 May 1966 under the abbreviated title Hiram Holliday.

The Adventures Of Hiram HollidayUSA, NBC (California National Productions), Sitcom, B/W, 1956Starring: Wally Cox, Ainslie PryorA charming sitcom based on the short stories by Paul Gallico (published in 1939) about a bespectacled, meek, mild-mannered newspaperman with amazing powers. No, not Superman but plain old Hiram Holliday who, while working as a proof-reader for a New York newspaper, has accrued amazing skills in a huge variety of areas, from swordfencing to scuba-diving. When Hiram corrects a potentially damaging error in his newspaper, the relieved proprietor rewards him with an around-the-world trip to indulge all of his startling technical powers. Holliday is accompanied by a reporter, Joel Smith, to record the resulting adventures. Our self-effacing hero, who lives only to help others, saves the day for many of those that cross his path.

The part of Hiram Holliday was played by night-club comedian Wally Cox, who had already scored a notable TV success with his portrayal of a bespectacled, meek, mild-mannered science teacher in Mr Peepers (NBC, 1952-55), not screened in Britain.

Note. The Adventures Of Hiram Holliday was the first sitcom to be 'stripped' on British television - a TV term meaning that it was screened in the same slot on consecutive days, the BBC showing it Mondays through Fridays around 7pm when its current affairs programme Tonight was taking seasonal breaks. BBC1 repeated 13 episodes from 22 February to 24 May 1966 under the abbreviated title Hiram Holliday.

Social source share

Surely you can remember this Malc ?

Hi Steve .....

Yes I can remember the programme ...... not the original 1956 U.S. one , but the episodes transmitted on the BBC in 1966 .

The star of " Hiram Holliday " - the white Wally Cox - was definately not the chap who recorded " This Man " on / for Wand ..... as I stated in my earlier post , the Wally Cox who recorded that opus that I saw backing Paul Anka in Las Vegas , had one hell of a tan ..... and a 'fro .

I will attempt to dig out the programme stating WC's name , from the Paul Anka show at Cesaer's Palace , from one of the files containing memorabilia that are under the stairs at Chez Burton , and post it up ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

oh man this is intresting, got the single but not on wand mine is on pye either re-issue or could be UK release

Social source share

Hi Steve .....

Yes I can remember the programme ...... not the original 1956 U.S. one , but the episodes transmitted on the BBC in 1966 .

The star of " Hiram Holliday " - the white Wally Cox - was definately not the chap who recorded " This Man " on / for Wand ..... as I stated in my earlier post , the Wally Cox who recorded that opus that I saw backing Paul Anka in Las Vegas , had one hell of a tan ..... and a 'fro .

I will attempt to dig out the programme stating WC's name , from the Paul Anka show at Cesaer's Palace , from one of the files containing memorabilia that are under the stairs at Chez Burton , and post it up ....

Malc Burton

What a Wally Cox - Up .....

This is where I hang my head in shame and admit ..... I was wrong .

Further to the above post last night , I decided to do more delving in relation to Mr Cox , in order to find out the correct details as to the man who recorded " This Man " / " I've Had Enough " for Wand .

The extensive searches that I did - in over thirty web sites - revealed the same thing ; the Wally Cox who starred in the U.S. shows " Mr Peepers " and " The Adventures Of Hiram Holliday " , that they stated he did have a recording career besides acting , and that he had recordings ( albums and 45s ) released on two labels - Arvee and George ; there is no mention in respect of him recording for RCA ( the label of the 45 shown in the first post of this subject ) . It was only when I thought that was that , I looked at one further web site , which listed that he had recorded for , and released recordings on three ...... and that third label was Wand , not RCA .

Lo and behold , that recording for Wand was " This Man / " I've Had Enough " , stated as being recorded in 1961 .

It goes to prove that you cannot judge a book by its' cover ...... If someone had told me that the weedy looking guy pictured below had made " This Man " , I would have scoffed .

As to the Wally Cox who I saw backing Paul Anka in 1980 ..... Further web delvings revealed that this WC turns out to be a session singer , who has sang back up vocals on many recordings , notably the

" Let's Get It On " recordings for Marvin Gaye .

Malc Burton

post-5097-1173726392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I am totaly stuned to find out this guy sung, This man :) love the song :(
What a Wally Cox - Up .....

This is where I hang my head in shame and admit ..... I was wrong .

Further to the above post last night , I decided to do more delving in relation to Mr Cox , in order to find out the correct details as to the man who recorded " This Man " / " I've Had Enough " for Wand .

The extensive searches that I did - in over thirty web sites - revealed the same thing ; the Wally Cox who starred in the U.S. shows " Mr Peepers " and " The Adventures Of Hiram Holliday " , that they stated he did have a recording career besides acting , and that he had recordings ( albums and 45s ) released on two labels - Arvee and George ; there is no mention in respect of him recording for RCA ( the label of the 45 shown in the first post of this subject ) . It was only when I thought that was that , I looked at one further web site , which listed that he had recorded for , and released recordings on three ...... and that third label was Wand , not RCA .

Lo and behold , that recording for Wand was " This Man / " I've Had Enough " , stated as being recorded in 1961 .

It goes to prove that you cannot judge a book by its' cover ...... If someone had told me that the weedy looking guy pictured below had made " This Man " , I would have scoffed .

As to the Wally Cox who I saw backing Paul Anka in 1980 ..... Further web delvings revealed that this WC turns out to be a session singer , who has sang back up vocals on many recordings , notably the

" Let's Get It On " recordings for Marvin Gaye .

Malc Burton

post-5097-1173726392.jpg

Amazing shades.gif

This Man - Wally Cox - Wand -

8753 refosoul Wand_WND-11233-A_DJ.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I am totaly stuned to find out this guy sung, This man ohmy.gif love the song :(

People once again It is NOT the same fcuking guy - whatever websites you folks are sourcing this from I don't believe they are accurate.

I interviewed Gene Chandler a few years ago and asked him about wally cox - a guy who came in off the street --deffo NOT a bespectacled geek either!

Social source share

People once again It is NOT the same fcuking guy - whatever websites you folks are sourcing this from I don't believe they are accurate.

I interviewed Gene Chandler a few years ago and asked him about wally cox - a guy who came in off the street --deffo NOT a bespectacled geek either!

:rolleyes:

stars-5-0.gifTake off your shoes and dance, December 28, 2006

Reviewer:Annie Van Auken (South Florida) - See all my reviews

c7y_badge_rn_1.gif ARVEE was located in Los Angeles, and was started in 1958 by Richard Vaughn, who also owned lounge music label HI-FI records. ARVEE specialized in recordings for teens, with heavy emphasis on dance music, thus this album's title, WEST COAST SOCK HOP. The sound quality throughout the 30 tracks of this collection is nothing less than superb. Many of the original 45s of these songs sell for hundreds of dollars each, that is, if you can find them.

The Olympics, The Marathons, The Tramps and the Robins all recorded for ARVEE. Johnny "Guitar" Watson was an ARVEE artist. I had his 45 of Untouchable/Johnny Guitar when I was very young (I wonder what it would be worth these days?). Wally Cox recorded for ARVEE-- no, not the voice of Underdog and star of Hollywood Squares-- this is a different Wally Cox, a soul singer. "El Pizza" by Dudley is a humorous parody of Marty Robbins' hit, "El Paso." The Marathons, who remind me of the Hollywood Argyles, tell the story of a reluctant astronaut on "Chicken Spaceman." They also do "Peanut Butter," which got a lot of airplay in its day.

I do have one small complaint: This album's four page foldout liner notes-- the print is practically microscopic, and a challenge to the most acute eyesight. Other than that, this is a terrific package.

WEST COAST SOCK HOP will help Baby Boomers recall the dances of their youth: the Shimmy Shimmy, the Hully Gully, the Stomp, and others. And for those too young to remember, or collectors who may not have 600 bucks to shell out for one single 45, this is a great opportunity to sample a unique and prolific teen label from rock & roll's late golden age.

The other article I've seen saying it is him, is basically quoting a fan, who has put 2 + 2 together and got about 165. Listen to Hirams voice and you'll know its not him on "This Man".

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Wally Cox also cut a great later version of This Man for Modern via Leo Kulka's Golden State Producers out of SF, there are several unissued cuts including I think the BGP 45 Malc put up. The black guy backing Paul Anka in Vegas was probably him, he's a West Coast charachter (mainly SF) but I don't think he's been seen around for a while.

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

IT WAS A TOTAL WIND UP :D

Never thought it would go like this...... :thumbsup:

Now then who remembers the carry on star KEN WILLIAMS

who recorded for OKEH RECORDS......... :rolleyes:

regards

mel unsure.gif

Social source share

Wally Cox also cut a great later version of This Man for Modern via Leo Kulka's Golden State Producers out of SF, there are several unissued cuts including I think the BGP 45 Malc put up. The black guy backing Paul Anka in Vegas was probably him, he's a West Coast charachter (mainly SF) but I don't think he's been seen around for a while.

Thank god ..... I did not want to believe Wally " Hiram Holliday " was Wally " This Man " Cox .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Or me :thumbsup:

One last post from me on the Wally Cox saga ....

The information stating WC the actor had recorded for George , Arvee and released " This Man " on Wand , was the renowned website IMDb - the earth's biggest movie database .

I thought the release date stated - 1961 - was very early ..... I thought " TM " was from 1965 ...

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 14 years later...
On 14/03/2007 at 00:04, Ady Croasdell said:

On 13/03/2007 at 23:56, Sean Hampsey said:

Can't believe anyone would think that Wally Cox of "This Man" 'fame' is the Hiram Holliday charachter (who I remember well as a kid walking a Tightrope).

As Steve suggests, ignore the 'web sources' that state this and use your ears!

THIS MAN is a SOUL SINGER!

Sean

He has now (sorry I missed this thread)

Wally.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1300 Boulevard Way, Walnut Creek
Walnut Creek is now a very upscale Bay Area suburb--Stephen Curry lives there, for example--but it was not always so. I can recall when there were actually walnut groves. Walnut Creek doesn't really have much of a 60s rock history. Interestingly, however, it all revolves around one place--1300 Boulevard Way.

February 23, 1963 Walnut Creek Hall, Walnut Creek, CA: Bobby Freeman/Wally Cox/The Untouchables
Correspondent Kent found this ancient "boxing-style" poster, for what very well may be Walnut Creek's very first rock show. It was held at The Walnut Creek Hall, at 1300 Boulevard Way. Bobby Freeman had had a huge hit with "Do You Wanna Dance" (no, Jerry Garcia did not play on it, whatever you may have read). The Wally Cox was not the actor, but a singer.

A5A6B1AA-8BED-48D6-8808-6E5EF1A9B859.jpeg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!