Do You Know What I Find Really Annoying?

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Guest Lynsey_Wez

well..............

its that much of the music currently being played is midtempo, or oldies ive been hearing since i first got into soul, which to be quite frank im sick of hearing now.........what i want to hear is danceable uptempo good soul music. whether its 60s, 70s, funky or R&B really doesnt matter - BUT it has to be something different to the same old tracks, something fresh. me & my other half are actually that sick of hearing the same stuff now that we have stopped going out every weekend like we have done for the last 6 years. just cant face another night of the same im afraid!

im not saying 100mph stormers all night - nobody can take that amount of abuse :yes:

but what would be wrong with this:

at the moment we hear mostly midtempo tracks allnight........then inbetween the mid tempo comes the dreadful slow paced leg cramp music. instead of doing this, why not keep the night going (instead of killing it stone dead) by playing uptempo tracks where the slow ones are normally played?

that way you are catering for the midpaced dancers & the uptempo dancers & people dont get bored!

ive been moaning & complaining about this to people eveywhere: promoters/djs/punters for about 3 years now. (as many of them will know :thumbsup: )

i think the soul scene over the last few years has gone really stale & is going downhill in general. whats happened to the all fresh sounds lately? why are the few tunes that go big & start get played allover being *absolutely flogged to death without mercy* instead of djs just starting to play something else after a while?

thousands of different good uptempo soul tracks are out there - what i want to know is: why arent alot of dj's actually playing them? why must alot of djs just follow current dancefloor trends that other people have set..........all the time? if they had the nerve to play something - just one song that they know is GOOD & not played everywhere people will pick up on it & respect it.

the only answer i seem to get is that they are catering for the majority. i find that strange because 99% of the people i chat with - the customers that are paying to get in & funding the whole night/nighter DO WANT to hear something other than the standard monotonous set.

i want to know why promoters & djs arent listening to what people *do want* & why at many venues we are force fed the same 'famous' spot that i seem to hear everywhere, allover, all the time wicked.gif ANSWERS PLEASE ANYONE?

by the way: yes i do know there are at least a few promoters actually trying to play something different & are actually having the nerve to carry it through. unfortunately that seems to be the minority.

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

well..............

its that much of the music currently being played is midtempo, or oldies ive been hearing since i first got into soul, which to be quite frank im sick of hearing now.........what i want to hear is danceable uptempo good soul music. whether its 60s, 70s, funky or R&B really doesnt matter - BUT it has to be something different to the same old tracks, something fresh. me & my other half are actually that sick of hearing the same stuff now that we have stopped going out every weekend like we have done for the last 6 years. just cant face another night of the same im afraid!

im not saying 100mph stormers all night - nobody can take that amount of abuse :yes:

at the moment we hear mostly midtempo tracks allnight........then inbetween the mid tempo comes the dreadful slow paced leg cramp music. instead of doing this, why not keep the night going (instead of killing it stone dead) by playing uptempo tracks where the slow ones are normally played?

that way you are catering for the midpaced dancers & the uptempo dancers & people dont get bored!

ive been moaning & complaining about this to people eveywhere: promoters/djs/punters for about 3 years now. (as many of them will know :thumbsup: )

i think the soul scene over the last few years has gone really stale & is going downhill in general. whats happened to the all fresh sounds lately? why are the few tunes that go big & start get played allover being *absolutely flogged to death without mercy* instead of djs just starting to play something else after a while?

thousands of different good uptempo soul tracks are out there - what i want to know is: why arent alot of dj's actually playing them? why must alot of djs just follow current dancefloor trends that other people have set..........all the time? if they had the nerve to play something - just one song that they know is GOOD & not played everywhere people will pick up on it & respect it.

the only answer i seem to get is that they are catering for the majority. i find that strange because 99% of the people i chat with - the customers that are paying to get in & funding the whole night/nighter DO WANT to hear something other than the standard monotonous set.

i want to know why promoters & djs arent listening to what people *do want* & why at many venues we are force fed the same 'famous' spot that i seem to hear everywhere, allover, all the time wicked.gifANSWERS PLEASE ANYONE?

by the way: yes i do know there are at least a few promoters actually trying to play something different & are actually having the nerve to carry it through. unfortunately that seems to be the minority.

With all due respect Lynsey/Wez when did you last try Pilsley/Attic/Back room at Bentinck/ Annesley to name a few gigs local to you? Listening to what people say to you is not as good as actual trying places for yourself. Times do change and music policies evolve which we at Pilsley have taken into account as we like yourselves were sick and tired of listening to the same top/pop sounds.

The Attic plays a great mix of stuff that you may not know at all (not all slow or mid tempo) Annesley has always been known for giving lesser known stuff an airing and Bentinck again has incorporated another room to cater for what you are asking for.

Instead of going on what you heard when you went to these places, how ever long ago that was why not give them another chance? I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris and Sharon

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

I have to say... i've never been anywhere that plays predominately mid tempo tunes... & believe me i'd remember... being an uptempo kind of gal.

Where do you live.. if you don't mind me asking?

in chesterfield

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

With all due respect Lynsey/Wez when did you last try Pilsley/Attic/Back room at Bentinck/ Annesley to name a few gigs local to you? Listening to what people say to you is not as good as actual trying places for yourself. Times do change and music policies evolve which we at Pilsley have taken into account as we like yourselves were sick and tired of listening to the same top/pop sounds.

The Attic plays a great mix of stuff that you may not know at all (not all slow or mid tempo) Annesley has always been known for giving lesser known stuff an airing and Bentinck again has incorporated another room to cater for what you are asking for.

Instead of going on what you heard when you went to these places, how ever long ago that was why not give them another chance? I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris and Sharon

hallo, we dont seem to have been out locally for ages, really because of what i have described above!

we have been to all the nights you mentioned except the one in mansfield at the attic. i have heard some good reviews about that night, so we will be trying that at some point.

i think the thing is as regards to local nights..........we went out allover locally - somewhere every weekend, but as we got tired of going to the same places & hearing nothing much new, we stopped going & found other nights/nighters to attend! you might be right, hopefully they have changed for the better.......but i find that once a venue has gone downhill & youve stopped going because you felt let down by it, its very hard to get yourself there again!

Social source share

If you really want to hear what you are asking for definately try us for our anniversary in April with Nige Brown and Mark Bicknell (Try him currently on Solar radio) I can guarantee you;ll hear some stuff on there that is up tempo and unknown to you and also will be played at our anniversary. You missed him at Christmas as I can't recall seeing you at Pilsley.

The impression is that most gigs here in North Notts/North Derbyshire play the same tired old tunes which is really an unfair slant on what is happening in some places in this area.

Social source share

hallo, we dont seem to have been out locally for ages, really because of what i have described above!

we have been to all the nights you mentioned except the one in mansfield at the attic. i have heard some good reviews about that night, so we will be trying that at some point.

i think the thing is as regards to local nights..........we went out allover locally - somewhere every weekend, but as we got tired of going to the same places & hearing nothing much new, we stopped going & found other nights/nighters to attend! you might be right, hopefully they have changed for the better.......but i find that once a venue has gone downhill & youve stopped going because you felt let down by it, its very hard to get yourself there again!

'Downhill' is of course your opinion (Not so to others) and also 'let down by it' is again very subjective. The point is you pay your money... you make your choice.. But please try not to give an overall impression that North Notts/North Derbyshire is full of gigs with promoters without imagination and also who like us (who have been around the scene for the past 35+ years) also have seen and felt a need to move on and not remain static (in a time warp some might say!)

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

If you really want to hear what you are asking for definately try us for our anniversary in April with Nige Brown and Mark Bicknell (Try him currently on Solar radio) I can guarantee you;ll hear some stuff on there that is up tempo and unknown to you and also will be played at our anniversary. You missed him at Christmas as I can't recall seeing you at Pilsley.

The impression is that most gigs here in North Notts/North Derbyshire play the same tired old tunes which is really an unfair slant on what is happening in some places in this area.

yes of course we do, thats why ive posted this topic!!! :thumbsup:

your right, we havent been to pilsley for ages......sounds quite odd doesnt it, considering we actually only live at pilsley. if i remember correctly - more often than not pilsley falls on the same night as a nighter were going to. nothing personal!

to be fair: i didnt actually say that *every single local night* was the same - i did say some were trying to promote new sounds, standing their ground & actually doing it. which i think is great

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Times do change and music policies evolve which we at Pilsley have taken into account as we like yourselves were sick and tired of listening to the same top/pop sounds.

from reading the above quote: it seems you do acknowledge & agree that what ive described has been happening!

Social source share

well..............

i want to know why promoters & djs arent listening to what people *do want* & why at many venues we are force fed the same 'famous' spot that i seem to hear everywhere, allover, all the time wicked.gifANSWERS PLEASE ANYONE?

EMBANKMENT CLUB WELLINGBOROUGH 13TH ANNIVERSARY - FRIDAY 6TH APRIL - FINAL NIGHT!!!

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

'Downhill' is of course your opinion (Not so to others) and also 'let down by it' is again very subjective. The point is you pay your money... you make your choice.. But please try not to give an overall impression that North Notts/North Derbyshire is full of gigs with promoters without imagination and also who like us (who have been around the scene for the past 35+ years) also have seen and felt a need to move on and not remain static (in a time warp some might say!)

look, i never actually mentioned a particular area or venue. i know promoters work hard to keep a soul night alive & i respect the amount of work & personal time they put into doing so........i was simply asking 'why dont more venue promoters & djs listen to what people want, instead of ignoring it & doing what they think is best?' im not having a dig at any particular person here!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Apart from the quality of Soul records played of course, I always regarded a good DJ as someone who knew how to adjust the pace of the evening. When to lift the room up and when to slow it down a little by playing the perfect records to do so. I'm afraid I haven't heard anyone able to do that for a long time. Though the records may be fine, I don't find many sets particularly UPLIFTING, not like I used to that is. (But that may be just me getting older!)

However, this could also be because:

a) There may be several DJ on in quick succession, all keen to play their "set" (set in stone?) and each pushing their own favoured records, whatever has been played previously.

cool.gif Perhaps there are too many collectors now spinning records without the background in deejaying required to know HOW to achieve a proper balance to a set and how to adjust the mood of the dancefloor. (This observation is based on Seventies sets mainly)

c) The new records around at any given time are simply not numerous enough to do this, or again they are really collectors who favour a particular tempo, rather than seasoned entertainers.

d) They are frightened of losing their coveted place behind the decks, so play a tried and trusted mix of tunes everyone will know - and continue to play the same records for years, and years...

I'm sure the same criteria would apply to DJs in any musical genre. It requires a DJ to comment really, but who would dare go out on a limb and criticise another DJ?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Apart from the quality of Soul records played of course, I always regarded a good DJ as someone who knew how to adjust the pace of the evening. When to lift the room up and when to slow it down a little by playing the perfect records to do so. I'm afraid I haven't heard anyone able to do that for a long time. Though the records may be fine, I don't find many sets particularly UPLIFTING, not like I used to that is. (But that may be just me getting older!)

a) There may be several DJ on in quick succession, all keen to play their "set" (set in stone?) and each pushing their own favoured records, whatever has been played previously.

cool.gif Perhaps there are too many collectors now spinning records without the background in deejaying required to know HOW to achieve a proper balance to a set and how to adjust the mood of the dancefloor. (This observation is based on Seventies sets mainly)

c) The new records around at any given time are simply not numerous enough to do this, or again they are really collectors who favour a particular tempo, rather than seasoned entertainers.

d) They are frightened of losing their coveted place behind the decks, so play a tried and trusted mix of tunes everyone will know - and continue to play the same records for years, and years...

I'm sure the same criteria would apply to DJs in any musical genre. It requires a DJ to comment really, but who would dare go out on a limb and criticise another DJ?? :thumbsup:

good point, but i dont think a dj wouldnt have to criticise another dj to answer the question. a personal point of view about this from a dj would be good to hear though!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

good point, but i dont think a dj wouldnt have to criticise another dj to answer the question. a personal point of view about this from a dj would be good to hear though!

Well I was just trying to be tactful with that bit...! :shades:

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Oh FFS, stop the self promotion

Dave,

You have got it wrong yet again, unusual for someone of obvious high intelligence. Joan is just trying to say that the DDA room (2nd room) at Lowton which she organises along with Paul Sadot and Karl Rhodes, do play something different (you would know that if you had ever been - it is currently one of the best nights on the soul scene, try it for yourself if you don't believe me, I guarentee you will not be disappointed, I will even refund your door tax if not satisfied. The sprireite couple want something different, they will get this at the DDA room at Lowton, or the Wilton, or Lifeline at Barmby Moor, or Burnley or Middleton, try any of these, I'm sure you will not be disapointed.

Paul

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I'm sure the same criteria would apply to DJs in any musical genre. It requires a DJ to comment really, but who would dare go out on a limb and criticise another DJ?? :shades:

I've only been using this forum for about a month and I have yet to disagree with anything Mel Brat has ever posted up ! Always intelligent and well constructed comments, and the above has my seal of approval.

What is the point in one hour DJ spots, I never take on less than two hours, even if they are two x one hour spots. Think about it, a DJ who is only on for one hour in one night can afford to lump on a load of tired played out tracks in the knowledge that he'll be off the TT's in a short space of time anyhow. But then when the next DJ uses the same principals, that's it, the night is completely ruined by two consecutive hours of "lazy and unimaginative presentation".

Secondly and here's why the scene is dying. Suppose I had a girlfriend or wife that was only familiar with the basic hit soul/disco tracks such as Shalamar, Sister Sledge, Chic, DTrain, and also liked a lot of the recent soulful house/pop crossover tracks, such as Freemasons, Michael Gray Borderline, Shapeshifters, Modjo, Soul Searcher etc. Now read on carefully.

If a club that was playing a mixture of modern soul obscurities, eighties boogies known/obscure, seventies disco, and soulful house existed and stuck to those principals then theres a high chance she'd want to go, and go again, as although (here's the important part) she'd know very few of the tracks, at least they would identify with what she did already know and liked, thereby being acceptable and from a spread of 30 years with lots of different styles.

However, would she want to go to a club containing forty beer gutted blokes in their fifties listening to nothing but 70's soul records of the same tempo all sounding the same to the untrained ear for hours on end ? The answer is no, and count me out for that purpose as well.

The most important word is "variety" and until promoters can accept that they have a duty to provide such if they want new punters on the scene, then their events will attract low turn outs.

Tired DJ's equals tired gigs equals tired clientel equals no new faces.

Martin Snow

Social source share

well think yourself lucky that you have so many do's to choose from cos down here in the deepest darkest southwest everywhere is a long drive...and i will admit dissapointment after driving so far just to hear the same choons...but alas being a dj myself its incredibly difficult to please everyone all the time especially when you get requests for the same old same old...its my policy to always play a request ( if i have it ) but its a matter of watching the floor for me before you go on to do your set you cant arrive with a pre conceived idea of what you will play as it doesnt suit every venue...i am not going to name names but some dj's you can actually list the order of their playlists...maybe as was mentioned before they are scared of losing their superstar status or stepping out of the boundaries.....maybe you should choose venues that have several rooms like middleton to guarantee different sounds...or lifeline...or lowton...or ponds forge...etc etc where people dare to be different...and i have to agree with joan i dont recall having been to any venue with a mainly mid tempo sound :shades: ..its all about the mix....

cookie :shades:

Social source share

Well if you like it uptempo (with a bit of mid as well) get yourself to Clowne on the 31st :shades: (yes, I'm a shameless self promoter :shades: )

Social source share

hello lnysey and wez.if you are talking about the local scene that forget it.ive banged on about it for ages myself.no one listens.at the end of the day no one is going to do anything different they are all too scared.seen it a 1000 times.a dj will try a couple of tunes thats not the norm if half the people stand there looking fed up or they start walking off the dance BANG right back to the same old stuff.i went to BIDDS alnighter the other week and i tell you its a different world,totally blew me away.ive also noticed that these local dos it seems that with the djs its "you come to my do then you can do a dj spot and if come to yours ill do a spot there" i'll scratch your back you scratch mine.thats why you hear the same old stuff.i cant understand why a group of people would sooner dance shite like tribute to f$%^ing betty and all that other none soul crap,which is what it is,then have a good solid dancable 60s 70s proper soul record.over the last few years ive seen great soul records clear dance floors and its very sad.ive said this before as well,the appreciation has all gone and the handbag night has took over im affraid.im like you dont go to many local dos anymore.maybe i should to see if owts changed but it looks like you going to have to look futher afield to get what you want.now if any local promoter is reading this im not having a go.just stating facts,you know its true.ive been told by one or two people that run dos its the way its got to be,they have to play the same old stuff to keep people happy.before i go to anyone who knows me its not about rare soul,RnB,which is what i get tagged with only liking,its about good honest soul music.get it played!!

Social source share

just to add,my now girlfriend :shades: gave me a cd bout 4-5 years ago,had a track on it called promise by mer-lyn.i had never heard it but instantly liked it and wanted one.i got one played it at skeg weekender.my good mates pete n steve from annesley now have copies and are playing it.on the other hand mr steve brown played a tune on saturday that i had not heard and again i instantly wanted one.so it shows that there is good tunes out there crying out to be played.

Social source share

and another point.local people have tried to put nights on over the years where something from the same old stuff ALL night is played but were just called for doing so ie,the early days of awsworth,the union,the boat and horses in beston,these all got slatted off for doing what they did.little that some people know that the tunes that they are now throwing themselves about the dance floor to are in fact the tunes that where played at these dos.people say to me now when a certain record is played.."wow great record"..it well might be but the same record was played at the above dos.it seems a good record is only good till certain people say so and then it might get a spin,then it gets played over and over again,everyone goes out to get a copy,so every dj from here to the moon has got one and then it becomes very very borin.its been a very long time LOCALLY,apart from the odd place, that a dj has stood behind the decks and said "hears a great tune (oldie 70s rnb whatever) see what you think".the only thing its going to harm is reputations and egos.thats why it dont happen.

Social source share

and another point.local people have tried to put nights on over the years where something from the same old stuff ALL night is played but were just called for doing so ie,the early days of awsworth,the union,the boat and horses in beston,these all got slatted off for doing what they did.little that some people know that the tunes that they are now throwing themselves about the dance floor to are in fact the tunes that where played at these dos.people say to me now when a certain record is played.."wow great record"..it well might be but the same record was played at the above dos.it seems a good record is only good till certain people say so and then it might get a spin,then it gets played over and over again,everyone goes out to get a copy,so every dj from here to the moon has got one and then it becomes very very borin.its been a very long time LOCALLY,apart from the odd place, that a dj has stood behind the decks and said "hears a great tune (oldie 70s rnb whatever) see what you think".the only thing its going to harm is reputations and egos.thats why it dont happen.

HERE I GO AGAIN, biting like the fish i am :shades: ..Some clubs don't play to the crowd,but you've got to bear in mind they've paid to come in.

Some players of records(i was going to say dj's),play what they want ,up to a certain point(don't want the nite to be too self indulgent do we?).

If certain sounds are spun by a nobody dj, doesn't cause too much of a ripple.But put that sound in a known dj's hands and suddenly you've got a dancefloor winner on your hands.

Reputations and ego's don't come before the music,,KEV.

ps...Mer-lyn is a spin for Steve L at the Attic,been playing it a while now :unsure:

btw,,,what's the Ambassadors track you mentioned that Steve played?

LYNSEY WEZ AND JMYTG, get yourselves to The Attic, and stop moanin' :lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

HERE I GO AGAIN, biting like the fish i am :shades: .."

Some players of records(i was going to say dj's),play what they want ,up to a certain point(don't want the nite to be too self indulgent do we?).

If certain sounds are spun by a nobody dj, doesn't cause too much of a ripple.But put that sound in a known dj's hands and suddenly you've got a dancefloor winner on your hands.

Reputations and ego's don't come before the music,,KEV.

ps...Mer-lyn is a spin for Steve L at the Attic,been playing it a while now :unsure:

btw,,,what's the Ambassadors track you mentioned that Steve played?

LYNSEY WEZ AND JMYTG, get yourselves to The Attic, and stop moanin' :D

"Some clubs don't play to the crowd,but you've got to bear in mind they've paid to come in."

we dont get in for free :lol: .its not a question of moaning,just putting a valid and true point across.trying to get to the attic,trying to get a couple of mates to go,as i dont drive,if i did i wouldnt because i like the falling down water too much :unsure: .the ambassadors is called good love gone bad.its the flip to ive got to find happiness.this was issued with a different flip as well called im so proud of you

Social source share

"Some clubs don't play to the crowd,but you've got to bear in mind they've paid to come in."

we dont get in for free :unsure: .its not a question of moaning,just putting a valid and true point across.trying to get to the attic,trying to get a couple of mates to go,as i dont drive,if i did i wouldnt because i like the falling down water too much :lol: .the ambassadors is called good love gone bad.its the flip to ive got to find happiness.this was issued with a different flip as well called im so proud of you

nice track, Chris at Pilsley plays this as well,,,,got one for sale if you know anyone who's interested( sorry for blatant hi-jack :shades: ).always welcome in sunny Mansfield for some of that falling down water!!!!

Social source share

Dave,

You have got it wrong yet again, unusual for someone of obvious high intelligence. Joan is just trying to say that the DDA room (2nd room) at Lowton which she organises along with Paul Sadot and Karl Rhodes, do play something different (you would know that if you had ever been - it is currently one of the best nights on the soul scene, try it for yourself if you don't believe me, I guarentee you will not be disappointed, I will even refund your door tax if not satisfied. The sprireite couple want something different, they will get this at the DDA room at Lowton, or the Wilton, or Lifeline at Barmby Moor, or Burnley or Middleton, try any of these, I'm sure you will not be disapointed.

Paul

Yes, I have heard Joan, Paul abd Karl play and I agree they have good taste.

My comment was a little clumsy and was a reaction to the tendency on here, in general, for too many threads to be turned into "plugs".

Have edited previous post thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Yes, I have heard Joan, Paul abd Karl play and I agree they have good taste.

My comment was a little clumsy and was a reaction to the tendency on here, in general, for too many threads to be turned into "plugs".

Have edited previous post :thumbsup:

Yes you are absolutely right mate :P , far too many people jumping (no pun intended) on every thread going, just to get a little publicity for their event.

Do not disagree with you at all on that score, but to single out Joan and the DDA for this was regretable. They do play something different and do not need the publicity, the room is going from strength to strength by word of mouth alone. DDA room packed again last friday, regardless of the looming Prestatyn monster weekender. This room has a lot going for it, get yourself up here Dave you will love it. If you go to one of the events mentioned and I am there I will buy you a couple of pints. :thumbsup::unsure:

Take care and God Bless

Paul

Social source share

in chesterfield

:thumbsup:

from the playlists I've seen the Attic do play summat different and the Union Soul Club (Mick H's venue) at the side of the Trent in Nottingham certainly play summat different.

Lifeline is probably the best all-nighter of it's kind playinmg anything but the same old same, plus it's not far from you either.

The Wilton is less than an hour up the road too with the anniversary later this month.

As for the other venues locally, some I stopped going for exactly the same reasons you state, as did quite a few of my mates who live locally, or others I can't comment on the music policy as I've not been and don't see playlists.

If you don't mind the drive there are venues that cater for those who want to hear something other thanb the same old same.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

In all honesty, there are nights that you could write up the playlist before you get there. This isn't of course down to the promoters only but also the guests they bring in. Just coz someone is a 'big name' doesn't change that.

I decided some while ago that some places were on my 'no go' list because I just couldn't hack standing one more night listening to the same tunes over and over whilst watching embarrasing antics on the dancefloor.

I suppose that you have to be discerning in this game and make your own decisions. Promoters and certain DJ's aren't going to change what is pulling in a decent size crowd (and the cash of course) because it brings with it a certain amount of kudos. In all reality by running a soul night and owning a few records gives some a sense of oneupmanship and can inflate egos that have not much else in life to be inflated about!

Anyway instead of wanting to change these people- vote with your feet. Which I have done- I spend too many hours at work dealing with real life issues without spending time being bothered about trying to change the music policy of my local soul night.

Go where they play what you want to hear.. Don't waste time being 'annoyed' about it.

Social source share

hi Paul, yes this thread is gonna lead to plugs/self promotion.

LYNSEY-WEZ wanted a run down on where to go,if i'm not mistaken ,and i'm going to defend our little club and other local venues.

Us unknowns need all the help we can get.

Word of mouth is the best recommendation,but after that it's SS AND FLYERS (IMO).

So if somebody asks where to go,,,,,

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

hi Paul, yes this thread is gonna lead to plugs/self promotion.

LYNSEY-WEZ wanted a run down on where to go,if i'm not mistaken ,and i'm going to defend our little club and other local venues.

Us unknowns need all the help we can get.

Word of mouth is the best recommendation,but after that it's SS AND FLYERS (IMO).

So if somebody asks where to go,,,,,

I hope you are polite with them :unsure:

I will add THE ATTIC to my list then KEV :thumbsup:

(although I have never been, you have recommended it by word of mouth, almost (well at least Soul Source) :P

God luck with your night :thumbsup:

Take Care,

Paul

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

don't think it happens all the time here in Peterborough, but i am at all the nighters here so i hear a lot of the same tunes but many i don't know i hear first time. there's just the myth of the 100 box like same old 100 tunes always getting a spin.

Social source share

well..............

im not saying 100mph stormers all night - nobody can take that amount of abuse :sleep3:

ive been moaning & complaining about this to people eveywhere: promoters/djs/punters for about 3 years now. (as many of them will know whistling.gif )

i want to know why promoters & djs arent listening to what people *do want* & why at many venues we are force fed the same 'famous' spot that i seem to hear everywhere, allover, all the time :unsure:ANSWERS PLEASE ANYONE?

Would you care to give me a top 10 of tunes that you are bored shitless with?

Could we have a top 10 of flogged to death tunes?

I will start this off with "No 1" Deep dark secret and "No 2" The Pressure"

Then can we have 10 tunes the Djs should be playing!

Once this is sorted we can all go out to play again! :D:D:D

Otherwise its back to the "Drum n Base" room, and I am getting a bit bored with that after 18 years!!!!

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Agree with a lot of what's been said so far on this thread, overplayed stuff, week in week out, DJ after DJ, well, woopdefrickindeeeeeeee, and it's boring :unsure: It takes away a lot of the atmopshere from a venue. Good job I love the social side to it, oh and that falling over water :sleep3: , that eases the pain on the ear drums thumbsup.gif

Recently the bigger named DJ's have been a bit disappointing. There's always someone to pat the DJ on the back and say "Well done mate, great spot" so they will continue to play the same stuff week in week out. If someone had the balls to say "What a load of sh*t that was" maybe they would have a rethink. Some DJ's turn up with a 300-500 records, what's the big record boxes for when they have sorted out their tunes for their hour anyway ? Get 'em in a Tesco carrier bag! Obvious they have sorted their spot out to the tee, and not willing to change it. What's in that big record box? Sandwiches and a flask ?

Top Ten of overplayed stuff for me goes....any order, same sh*t no matter what order they hit the decks...

DJ Genesis - Tribute To Betty

Kenny Thomas - Crazy World

Sid Barnes - Standing on Solid Ground

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat

Marv Johnson - Come On & Stop

Frank Popp - Hip Teens Don't Wear Blue Jeans

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

Clarence Carter - Messing With My mind

compiling the next top 10 Cack Pile : -

Junior Walker - I Ain't Going Nowhere

Ace Spectrum - Don't Send Nobody Else

and on the sidelines ready to go in the top ten of overplayed are:

5 Royales - Catch That Teardrop

Pat & The Blenders - Just Because

Probably in for a slating for the last two, but come round these parts and you will soon be shoving your copies on Evil Bay.

:D

Social source share

Agree with a lot of what's been said so far on this thread, overplayed stuff, week in week out, DJ after DJ, well, woopdefrickindeeeeeeee, and it's boring :unsure: It takes away a lot of the atmopshere from a venue. Good job I love the social side to it, oh and that falling over water :sleep3: , that eases the pain on the ear drums thumbsup.gif

Recently the bigger named DJ's have been a bit disappointing. There's always someone to pat the DJ on the back and say "Well done mate, great spot" so they will continue to play the same stuff week in week out. If someone had the balls to say "What a load of sh*t that was" maybe they would have a rethink. Some DJ's turn up with a 300-500 records, what's the big record boxes for when they have sorted out their tunes for their hour anyway ? Get 'em in a Tesco carrier bag! Obvious they have sorted their spot out to the tee, and not willing to change it. What's in that big record box? Sandwiches and a flask ?

Top Ten of overplayed stuff for me goes....any order, same sh*t no matter what order they hit the decks...

DJ Genesis - Tribute To Betty

Kenny Thomas - Crazy World

Sid Barnes - Standing on Solid Ground

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat

Marv Johnson - Come On & Stop

Frank Popp - Hip Teens Don't Wear Blue Jeans

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

Clarence Carter - Messing With My mind

compiling the next top 10 Cack Pile : -

Junior Walker - I Ain't Going Nowhere

Ace Spectrum - Don't Send Nobody Else

and on the sidelines ready to go in the top ten of overplayed are:

5 Royales - Catch That Teardrop

Pat & The Blenders - Just Because

Probably in for a slating for the last two, but come round these parts and you will soon be shoving your copies on Evil Bay.

:D

}

love it....................spot on!

Ruby , Pat and Carla are truly great tunes that been victims........... of their own appeal?

I agree ...................you dont want to here these tunes every f-king week do you!

Djs should find a balance..........................and it is a delicate balance!

I remember going mad at the 100 club at 07:99hrs in 1992 to "hey girl dont bother me" and that was because I had not heard it for 5 years?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

}

love it....................spot on!

Ruby , Pat and Carla are truly great tunes that been victims........... of their own appeal?

I agree ...................you dont want to here these tunes every f-king week do you!

Djs should find a balance..........................and it is a delicate balance!

I remember going mad at the 100 club at 07:99hrs in 1992 to "hey girl dont bother me" and that was because I had not heard it for 5 years?

But I also recall our "Civic Soul" at Deeside last year ...where we had Mich H playing all the big nighter tunes (including Bill Bush for me) Roger banks playing what he wanted to play (and what a great set) Richie Buckley playing some classic 6ts with Cally, Pete Griffin and Myself playing what we wanted ....................and we were told by feedback on this forum that it was a fantastic night but the tunes were obscure?

????????????????????????

Social source share

just to add,my now girlfriend wave.gif gave me a cd bout 4-5 years ago,had a track on it called promise by mer-lyn.i had never heard it but instantly liked it and wanted one.i got one played it at skeg weekender.my good mates pete n steve from annesley now have copies and are playing it.on the other hand mr steve brown played a tune on saturday that i had not heard and again i instantly wanted one.so it shows that there is good tunes out there crying out to be played.

promise........promise me my love................musicor was it.............................great little toon!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh promise.......

then a big break better than porgy and the monarches ever did!!!

it was a musicor recording and it will be big one day..................great tune!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

But I also recall our "Civic Soul" at Deeside last year ...where we had Mich H playing all the big nighter tunes (including Bill Bush for me) Roger banks playing what he wanted to play (and what a great set) Richie Buckley playing some classic 6ts with Cally, Pete Griffin and Myself playing what we wanted ....................and we were told by feedback on this forum that it was a fantastic night but the tunes were obscure?

????????????????????????

ROGER BANKS.to all promoters in the notts mansfield area,put your hands up if you have asked roger to do a spot at your event.in fact dont bother i already know NONE! why? ooo tell a lie austin who runs bestwood.the only one with the balls

Social source share

Mer-lyn is on ABC paramount ( Annoying anorak head firmly in place )

Great record, been playing this for a bit as KevH previously mentioned ( blatent plug no2 ) rolleyes.gif

i liked to know who deciedes what a good record is because "THE NUT" was banging on about this bout 5-6 years ago,thats how i got to hear it but back then no one wanted to know back then

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

i liked to know who deciedes what a good record is because "THE NUT" was banging on about this bout 5-6 years ago,thats how i got to hear it but back then no one wanted to know back then

i thought the Soul Police decided whats good or not wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Eh Lynz, if you want a CD doing of The Cack, drop me a message :thumbsup: (doubt I will hear from you lol)

That play list I put up is a typical night of recent months round this neck of the woods.I

say months, it's more like 2 years. I go to the same places as Lynz-Wez, and have been

doing for about 6 years. In the last 6 years the regular faces of those days have now

disappeared, they probably got bored long before I did. Not all venues stick to the Cack

List religously, but a lot do. It's not the promoters who play this cack list either, its

the guest DJ's they have on that bring the side down as Bridget already mentioned. The warm up couple

of hours of late at a lot of venues has been far better. So it's not fair to slag a particular venue off, it's

the guest DJ's that need a shake up.

The Civic Soul event mentioned, Roger, Mick H, you probably had a great night, Roger for

his R&B, Mick H doing what he does best, both DJs are the top of what type of music they

play/like the best. Neither of them are ever going to play one track from the Cack list are

they ? However, agree with Jim, Roger B, given a chance at a "Normal" soul night playing a

northern soul spot would suprise a few. He's been labelled as R&B man, pretty much like me

and Jim get labelled with "Oh you like that rare stuff" - untrue, I like a good tune, not

necessarily rare and expensive.

The Cack Playlist I put up, that is the kind of music that some of the bigger name guest

DJ's have been playing though who have turned up at local venues. Those are DJs you expect

something better from.

As the night goes on, take those 14 records I mentioned, if they all get played, that works

out at one every 20 minutes. So you get 4 good/half decent tunes,building you up to dance,

you nearly hit the dancefloor, then on comes some Cack, you swear and curse about this Cack

again, and sit down, wait again, within the next 20 minutes, another from the Cack List

gets played, before you know it the nights over and done with and all you have done is say

"'Kin heap of shit" every 20 minutes. There's other overplayed stuff to add to that list,

so I could say "Kin heap of shit" every 15 minutes some nights.

Then there is the "New Wannabee DJ" - the one who's probably retired early, got a big lump

sum, or paid his mortgage off, the kids have left home, and he has spare cash. He has

probably never owned a record, or hasn't bought one since 1978. It just means any one with spare

money can be a DJ. He then spends his wad of cash on current tunes(Cack). He then proceeds

to tell all he has got this record, he has got that record, so give me a spot. He plays his

spot, and yep, no thought gone into it, no passion for it whatsoever, he's just got these

tunes and wants the world to know. They are the DJ's that pi$$ me off, the lazy ones with no passion

but a fat wallet. wanker.gif

Attic Lads, if the Cack Playlist is banned at your venue, I may pay you a visit shortly. I

need a Cack Free night out! lol. If you do play ONE cack record, I will be on Events

Talkback telling the truth :)

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

It's the Village Moaner again :)

Something I've noticed, I've seen playlists go up on here from various promoters, from venues across this area. Some good playlists, which suprised me.

However, when this said DJ guests at other venues, why does he go to the safety zone of playing from the Cack List ? Why can't he play what he plays at his own venue at other venues?

Does he do it on purpose to give the other venue a bad name of playing Cack, boring, monotonous drivvel?

Just a query, not a dig :thumbsup:

Social source share

Attic Lads, if the Cack Playlist is banned at your venue, I may pay you a visit shortly. I

need a Cack Free night out! lol. If you do play ONE cack record, I will be on Events

Talkback telling the truth :)

Hi mate, I guarantee you a cack free night at the Attic.

If we play any of the stuff on the list or similar I'll pay for your beer :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert