Do You Know What I Find Really Annoying?

Guest Lynsey_Wez

• Replies 88
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do dancers have a responsibility in supporting fresh sounds?

If those on the floor are waiting for a well established tune to start th evening, this might discourage DJs from playing less well known records - as they feel obliged to stick to the fammiliar stuff. On the other hand, if dancers respond to the less well known stuff - the DJ is more likely to play more of it.

I also think people need to go to venues with a slighly more relaxed expectations. Not every night at every venue can be a top night- with every record a personal fave. There are bound to be one or two records that fall outside of any individuals favoured tastes, and if there are more of those than you want - its obviously the wrong venue. The more adventurous the music policy - the more relaxed your attitude has to be.

Finally, seeing as there is shameless event-plugging earlier in the thread, I have to say....get down to the Soul Republic in Enderby (Leicester). Easily reachable from Chesterfield. All the DJs, including some well established ones, are rising to the challenge of playing from a wider range of quality soul.

musical diversity anyone?

Lofty

Social source share

Guest krawen

i liked to know who deciedes what a good record is because "THE NUT" was banging on about this bout 5-6 years ago,thats how i got to hear it but back then no one wanted to know back then

Jim ,i had a black issue back then mate ,sold it when i had that mad clear out a couple of years ago, and due to pressure from Karen I had to hunt down another one as she likes to dance to it. I managed to get a white demo off Rob K about a year ago (at Skeggy ) karen also made me buy back He's a strange one by Denise Germaine ( another underplayed gud un ) :thumbsup:

Steve B

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Ay Up Steve

Yeah, Denise Germaine, nice track :thumbsup: I like her other one, Little Lost Lover, when I've looked they've been owt up to £80 nicker, put me reeeeeeeeeeet off :D

Right, Do Not Disturb, i'm in the middle of decorating :)

Social source share

Guest krawen

Little Lost Lover - denise germaine -

16114 refosoul

Play it for Karen, she will like it. She's got taste, I saw her Hawaiian trousers :-)))

If you you thought them trousers were good ,

wait till you see her new years eve outfit whistling.gif

Is jim helping with the decorating :thumbsup:

Steve B

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Jim helping me to decorate, nagh, he's at his house, probably away with the fairies after an hard day at the "Office" (tongue in cheek, grinning my head off)

Bop! boxing.gif lol.

Social source share

Jim ,i had a black issue back then mate ,sold it when i had that mad clear out a couple of years ago, and due to pressure from Karen I had to hunt down another one as she likes to dance to it. I managed to get a white demo off Rob K about a year ago (at Skeggy ) karen also made me buy back He's a strange one by Denise Germaine ( another underplayed gud un ) thumbsup.gif

Steve B

hi steve,yeah roger has a d.germaine for sale,he cant give it away

Social source share

It's the Village Moaner again :wicked:

Something I've noticed, I've seen playlists go up on here from various promoters, from venues across this area. Some good playlists, which suprised me.

However, when this said DJ guests at other venues, why does he go to the safety zone of playing from the Cack List ? Why can't he play what he plays at his own venue at other venues?

Does he do it on purpose to give the other venue a bad name of playing Cack, boring, monotonous drivvel?

Just a query, not a dig :thumbsup:

SO VERY VERY TRUE.i know the attic lads are trying cos ive been told by a few people.the safety zone applies to everyone i think,they get told what to and what not to play.this is why ive never become a main stream dj.i have the confidence in my tunes i have, do some of the local guys.if they did they would play something from the norm.locally i dont think many have a mind of thier own. (theres a song in there somewhere rolleyes.gif ) im sure you remember "NUT" me buying a certain 45 off a certain B I G local dj.sold it to me cos he said when he played it out once it cleard the dance floor.it was only one of the best detroit 45 i had every bought.sort that one out.apart from the odd smashed copy ive seen on ebay the only place ive seen the last two copies is on manships auction

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Guest krawen

ROGER BANKS.to all promoters in the notts mansfield area,put your hands up if you have asked roger to do a spot at your event.in fact dont bother i already know NONE! why? ooo tell a lie austin who runs bestwood.the only one with the balls

Jim , Annesley in the past have asked Roger Banks to dj but he was always djing some where else on the 2nd Saturday of the month so it kind of fizzled out that did.

But I do think he's a shit hot dj . People think he just plays R & B but both you and I know he has a lot more to offer than just that side of his collection .

Steve B

Social source share

Guest krawen

maybe they dont.missing out there arent they.anyway bout time you got behind the decks more steve.COME ON YOU LOVE IT :wicked:thumbsup.gif

I love Forest more than I love djing :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Jim , Annesley in the past have asked Roger Banks to dj but he was always djing some where else on the 2nd Saturday of the month so it kind of fizzled out that did.

But I do think he's a shit hot dj . People think he just plays R & B but both you and I know he has a lot more to offer than just that side of his collection .

Steve B

didnt know that.its a shame about him not doing local dos.as you know hes a good mate of mine and yes hes not only a RnB DJ,hes got some cracking tunes.was brill at bidds.his first spot there blew me away

Social source share

Guest krawen

are you doing a spot at skeg steve

:thumbsup: No not this time , but maybe we could double up again downstairs at a future Skeggy weekender as I enjoyed the last time we did that ( just keep sending Pete up stairs to the bar and we'll be well away ) thumbsup.gif

Steve B

Social source share

:wicked: No not this time , but maybe we could double up again downstairs at a future Skeggy weekender as I enjoyed the last time we did that ( just keep sending Pete up stairs to the bar and we'll be well away ) :thumbsup:

Steve B

will have to do it.not 4 hours though sweatingbullets.gif have to have a word with dave if you up for it

Social source share

Guest krawen

will have to do it.not 4 hours though sweatingbullets.gif have to have a word with dave if you up for it

Did we do 4 hours last time I didn't think i had that many records :thumbsup:

Steve B

Social source share

Guest krawen

yeah we did the whole afternoon.i did 1st spot you did 2nd.they went on together and did all the afternoon

Yep I remember now , it was a good laugh :thumbsup: it's a good job they have them downstairs toilets else we would have been knackered ( or would have pissed ouselves ) whistling.gif

Social source share

yeah we did the whole afternoon.i did 1st spot you did 2nd.they went on together and did all the afternoon

well off for some food..hey steve tell pete thanks for playing the moments but remeber to tell him jono sez theres a better version about laugh.gif

Social source share

well,read through all this,same old arguments really,I too am sick of hearing many tunes, but the thing is the tunes mentioned in " The Nuts " list are, like it or not very popular as soon as they are played the floor is usually full,So what can the DJ do,he is there to entertain the punters,I dont expect to like every tune played,but as long as there are tunes played that I do like during the night,I dont mind ,I have stopped going to a few Venues because I could jot down each DJs playlist before I went in,just new they would play the same old stuff.

I go out to enjoy my self,have a natter a laugh and a dance,I dont want to be on the floor allnight,I tend to lean more towards R&B,but I dont expect to hear it allnight ( unless the Venue is known for it ) but I dont sit there moaning about the fact they dont play enough of it,the social side of it to me is very important,when the same old same old is playing I will have a natter and a laugh,when a tune comes on I like to dance to.......I will dance to it

old new newies modern R&B, underplayed overplayed,I love em all :(

Bazza

Social source share

Guest mel brat

It's the Village Moaner again blush.gif

Something I've noticed, I've seen playlists go up on here from various promoters, from venues across this area. Some good playlists, which suprised me.

However, when this said DJ guests at other venues, why does he go to the safety zone of playing from the Cack List ? Why can't he play what he plays at his own venue at other venues?

Does he do it on purpose to give the other venue a bad name of playing Cack, boring, monotonous drivvel?

Just a query, not a dig :rolleyes:

What's with this "Cack" fetish? (or maybe it's CRACK...) :D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

well..............

its that much of the music currently being played is midtempo, or oldies ive been hearing since i first got into soul, which to be quite frank im sick of hearing now.........what i want to hear is danceable uptempo good soul music. whether its 60s, 70s, funky or R&B really doesnt matter - BUT it has to be something different to the same old tracks, something fresh. me & my other half are actually that sick of hearing the same stuff now that we have stopped going out every weekend like we have done for the last 6 years. just cant face another night of the same im afraid!

im not saying 100mph stormers all night - nobody can take that amount of abuse smile.gif

but what would be wrong with this:

at the moment we hear mostly midtempo tracks allnight........then inbetween the mid tempo comes the dreadful slow paced leg cramp music. instead of doing this, why not keep the night going (instead of killing it stone dead) by playing uptempo tracks where the slow ones are normally played?

that way you are catering for the midpaced dancers & the uptempo dancers & people dont get bored!

ive been moaning & complaining about this to people eveywhere: promoters/djs/punters for about 3 years now. (as many of them will know :rolleyes: )

i think the soul scene over the last few years has gone really stale & is going downhill in general. whats happened to the all fresh sounds lately? why are the few tunes that go big & start get played allover being *absolutely flogged to death without mercy* instead of djs just starting to play something else after a while?

thousands of different good uptempo soul tracks are out there - what i want to know is: why arent alot of dj's actually playing them? why must alot of djs just follow current dancefloor trends that other people have set..........all the time? if they had the nerve to play something - just one song that they know is GOOD & not played everywhere people will pick up on it & respect it.

the only answer i seem to get is that they are catering for the majority. i find that strange because 99% of the people i chat with - the customers that are paying to get in & funding the whole night/nighter DO WANT to hear something other than the standard monotonous set.

i want to know why promoters & djs arent listening to what people *do want* & why at many venues we are force fed the same 'famous' spot that i seem to hear everywhere, allover, all the time :D ANSWERS PLEASE ANYONE?

by the way: yes i do know there are at least a few promoters actually trying to play something different & are actually having the nerve to carry it through. unfortunately that seems to be the minority.

I must say, the venues I visit which aren't local usually, and are widely spaced apart, and I don't hear what you say you hear. For sure there are mid-tempo and slower tunes played but mostly I hear up-tempo tracks that make my legs feel as though they're in a mangle :thumbsup:

As for the oldies complaint each venue has to appeal to a broad spectrum of customers and dj's have to play to the dancefloor.

I suspect most DJ's are horrified if the floor is full, to then play a track that clears it. Akin to a comedian reciting a joke to an audience that wimpers instead of bellylaughs.

What is not 'fun' to one person may be 'the bees knees' to 5 others in attendance.

Can't please all the people all the time is a worn out saying but rings true :)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but to me i would also hate songs to just go out of the blue and never be played again so a revival will come back

So there's more then 1 Nottingham Forest fan here. That's got to be a good thing come on you reds

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

hello lnysey and wez.if you are talking about the local scene that forget it.ive banged on about it for ages myself.no one listens.at the end of the day no one is going to do anything different they are all too scared.seen it a 1000 times.a dj will try a couple of tunes thats not the norm if half the people stand there looking fed up or they start walking off the dance BANG right back to the same old stuff.i went to BIDDS alnighter the other week and i tell you its a different world,totally blew me away.ive also noticed that these local dos it seems that with the djs its "you come to my do then you can do a dj spot and if come to yours ill do a spot there" i'll scratch your back you scratch mine.thats why you hear the same old stuff.i cant understand why a group of people would sooner dance shite like tribute to f$%^ing betty and all that other none soul crap,which is what it is,then have a good solid dancable 60s 70s proper soul record.over the last few years ive seen great soul records clear dance floors and its very sad.ive said this before as well,the appreciation has all gone and the handbag night has took over im affraid.im like you dont go to many local dos anymore.maybe i should to see if owts changed but it looks like you going to have to look futher afield to get what you want.now if any local promoter is reading this im not having a go.just stating facts,you know its true.ive been told by one or two people that run dos its the way its got to be,they have to play the same old stuff to keep people happy.before i go to anyone who knows me its not about rare soul,RnB,which is what i get tagged with only liking,its about good honest soul music.get it played!!

good post jim!

i havent had time to post all week, ive looked at peoples responses but havent had time to answer.

thats exactly whats been happening, however many people get offended by somebody saying it out loud (or typing) the fact is that nobosy can dent that there is a shit side to northern soul!

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

HERE I GO AGAIN, biting like the fish i am :shades: ..Some clubs don't play to the crowd,but you've got to bear in mind they've paid to come in.

Some players of records(i was going to say dj's),play what they want ,up to a certain point(don't want the nite to be too self indulgent do we?).

If certain sounds are spun by a nobody dj, doesn't cause too much of a ripple.But put that sound in a known dj's hands and suddenly you've got a dancefloor winner on your hands.

Reputations and ego's don't come before the music,,KEV.

ps...Mer-lyn is a spin for Steve L at the Attic,been playing it a while now :thumbsup:

btw,,,what's the Ambassadors track you mentioned that Steve played?

LYNSEY WEZ AND JMYTG, get yourselves to The Attic, and stop moanin' :shades:

lol :thumbsup: whos moanin? the thing is: years of pi** taking takes its toll

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

don't think it happens all the time here in Peterborough, but i am at all the nighters here so i hear a lot of the same tunes but many i don't know i hear first time. there's just the myth of the 100 box like same old 100 tunes always getting a spin.

oh right, myth in peterborough is it? lucky sods

Social source share

Guest Lynsey_Wez

Eh Lynz, if you want a CD doing of The Cack, drop me a message :thumbsup: (doubt I will hear from you lol)

That play list I put up is a typical night of recent months round this neck of the woods.I

say months, it's more like 2 years. I go to the same places as Lynz-Wez, and have been

doing for about 6 years. In the last 6 years the regular faces of those days have now

disappeared, they probably got bored long before I did. Not all venues stick to the Cack

List religously, but a lot do. It's not the promoters who play this cack list either, its

the guest DJ's they have on that bring the side down as Bridget already mentioned. The warm up couple

of hours of late at a lot of venues has been far better. So it's not fair to slag a particular venue off, it's

the guest DJ's that need a shake up.

The Civic Soul event mentioned, Roger, Mick H, you probably had a great night, Roger for

his R&B, Mick H doing what he does best, both DJs are the top of what type of music they

play/like the best. Neither of them are ever going to play one track from the Cack list are

they ? However, agree with Jim, Roger B, given a chance at a "Normal" soul night playing a

northern soul spot would suprise a few. He's been labelled as R&B man, pretty much like me

and Jim get labelled with "Oh you like that rare stuff" - untrue, I like a good tune, not

necessarily rare and expensive.

The Cack Playlist I put up, that is the kind of music that some of the bigger name guest

DJ's have been playing though who have turned up at local venues. Those are DJs you expect

something better from.

As the night goes on, take those 14 records I mentioned, if they all get played, that works

out at one every 20 minutes. So you get 4 good/half decent tunes,building you up to dance,

you nearly hit the dancefloor, then on comes some Cack, you swear and curse about this Cack

again, and sit down, wait again, within the next 20 minutes, another from the Cack List

gets played, before you know it the nights over and done with and all you have done is say

"'Kin heap of shit" every 20 minutes. There's other overplayed stuff to add to that list,

so I could say "Kin heap of shit" every 15 minutes some nights.

Then there is the "New Wannabee DJ" - the one who's probably retired early, got a big lump

sum, or paid his mortgage off, the kids have left home, and he has spare cash. He has

probably never owned a record, or hasn't bought one since 1978. It just means any one with spare

money can be a DJ. He then spends his wad of cash on current tunes(Cack). He then proceeds

to tell all he has got this record, he has got that record, so give me a spot. He plays his

spot, and yep, no thought gone into it, no passion for it whatsoever, he's just got these

tunes and wants the world to know. They are the DJ's that pi$$ me off, the lazy ones with no passion

but a fat wallet. wanker.gif

Attic Lads, if the Cack Playlist is banned at your venue, I may pay you a visit shortly. I

need a Cack Free night out! lol. If you do play ONE cack record, I will be on Events

Talkback telling the truth :shades:

haaaaaaaaaaa oh dear lol!

im sorry, i couldnt help but laugh out loud at this post. its so true & its exactly what i was trying to put across - only you expalined it better than me.........haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, its given me the giggles!

wheres me cd? :thumbsup: i havent got it yet. :shades:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

haaaaaaaaaaa oh dear lol!

wheres me cd? :boxing: i havent got it yet. :thumbsup:

You can't be serious????? :lol:

A CD, I've burned you one, literally, smoke, flames, the whole kabooooodle...it's melted :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!