What Was Your First Decent Soul Record

This is mine..........I purchased it of a guy called Chris Harrop from North Wales in the early 8ts. It had scratches all over it ....so its covered it them now. Does anyone remember Chris H from North Wales?

I think he was a top bloke, and always a vinyl junkie..............RIP

This is for James Brown and Chris Harrop from North Wales, thumbsup.gif

respect to an individual who got you into Soul music? What was your first decent record?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

Why did you take your love away from me - jb -

16090 refosoul

I'd previously bought a few Motown chart records, but probably Aretha Frankin's "I Say A Little Prayer"? which I bought new in 1968.

A more significant development occured in 1970 when I was 16. I badgered a local pub DJ for weeks on end to sell me his copy of Tommy Neil "Going To A Happening" on UK Vocalion, after hearing him play it. As he didn't play it that often anyway, eventually he got tired of me pestering him and sold it to me for the immense sum of .80p! (I bet it was still on catalogue at a regular price in point of fact!)

It was my first exposure to the work of Popcorn Wylie & Tony Hestor, but I didn't recognise the wider significance until later, obviously. I still own that very same copy though!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

This is mine..........I purchased it of a guy called Chris Harrop from North Wales in the early 8ts. It had scratches all over it ....so its covered it them now. Does anyone remember Chris H from North Wales?

I think he was a top bloke, and always a vinyl junkie..............RIP

This is for James Brown and Chris Harrop from North Wales, thumbsup.gif

respect to an individual who got you into Soul music? What was your first decent record?

I actually bought my first copy of "My Weakness Is You" from Chris in 1982. It was a Mint UK Tamla Motown issue, and was charged a mere £5 for the pleasure.

He was selling in Record Collector at the time, and it's from one of his ads that the Edwin Starr 45 came from. I remember finding him a very approachable bloke on the phone, and very helpful. Heard from someome around the time on mentioning his name (might have been Ady C) that he was something of a practical joker at niters, indulging in such acts as tying shoelaces together under tables!

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

First record bought for more than a tenner was Herb Ward "Honest to goodness" (RCA issue) from Richard Domar for £12. 1984, I think. :(

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

First record bought for more than a tenner was Herb Ward "Honest to goodness" (RCA issue) from Richard Domar for £12. 1984, I think. :(

Just realised I equated price with soul quality. Had a pint on the way home from work. Not quite myself, etc. ph34r.gif

Social source share

First decent record, partly because it started my whole journey - Supremes - Stoned Love on UK Motown. Bought with paper round money and I still remember the excitement of buying it and playing it for the first time.

First "northern" original - JJ Barnes - Please Let Me In on Ric Tic. Bought from balcony record stall at Wigan.

Still love 'em both.

J.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Mine was a rock 'n' roll song by a Soul singer Jackie Wilson - Reet Pettie it was my first song by a soul singer i liked had it went it came out again in 1986. Still a classic to this day

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mine was a rock 'n' roll song by a Soul singer Jackie Wilson - Reet Pettie it was my first song by a soul singer i liked had it went it came out again in 1986. Still a classic to this day

Damn! For a minute I thought you were going to say you bought it new the first time around in 1957! - In which case you'd be even older than ME! :rolleyes:

(Coincidently, just as I was writing this, the ad. for 'Kellog's Wheaties' came on TV,

using a variant of the very same song - How spooky is that?!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just realised I equated price with soul quality. Had a pint on the way home from work. Not quite myself, etc. :D

If prices were genuinely equated with Soul quality, Herb Ward would surely cost over a £1M by now! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert