That Sounds Like A $20,000 Record To Me

From time to time, I have noticed that some posters say things like: "That doesn't really sound like a $50 record to me. Sounds more like a $30 one."

In the light of the reputed box of 50 Frank Wilsons that has been unearthed, I'd be interested to learn whether posters really doi believe that records have a sound that can be quantified in $ terms. (or British pounds - I'm using dollars because I have no pound symbol on my keyboard)

I'm listening to Junior McCants at the moment. How much is that sound?

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From time to time, I have noticed that some posters say things like: "That doesn't really sound like a $50 record to me. Sounds more like a $30 one."

In the light of the reputed box of 50 Frank Wilsons that has been unearthed, I'd be interested to learn whether posters really doi believe that records have a sound that can be quantified in $ terms. (or British pounds - I'm using dollars because I have no pound symbol on my keyboard)

I'm listening to Junior McCants at the moment. How much is that sound?

link

Which Jnr McCants?

Social source share

Isn't that the whole point? Which Jnr McCants? They both (?) sound "priceless" to me.

The phrase "sounds like a £nnnnn rarity to me" or similar is dealer-speak for "don't be put off by the cheap price, I've got a box load (or one sad last copy) to shift.

TRUE ART HAS NO MONETARY VALUE WORTH NOTING.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Funnily enough it always seems the reverse is true, the most expensive records are often the worst sounding IMO. I think rarity sometimes has a lot more to do with the popularity of most than quality, and the unfortunate unpopularity of some cracking sounds is also down to their commoness (is that a word?). Or maybe they are just played out cos they're common, and therefore unpopular?

M.

Social source share

Funnily enough it always seems the reverse is true, the most expensive records are often the worst sounding IMO. I think rarity sometimes has a lot more to do with the popularity of most than quality, and the unfortunate unpopularity of some cracking sounds is also down to their commoness (is that a word?).

M.

link

matt i have to be honest ....if you weren't a bloke i'd kiss ya , this has been my opinion for many a long year , but everytime i say it out loud someone has a go lolol

Davie

Social source share

like davie ..... i agree whole heartedly matt. i've heard some right insipid dross that seems popular due to its rarity and high price. can't say i could name much of it, although when i have a look at the manship auctions a lot of the expensive stuff sounds dreadful to me.

although .......... it is partly a rare soul scene i suppose :sleep3:

Edited by hipshaker 05
Social source share

like davie ..... i agree whole heartedly matt. i've heard some right insipid dross that seems popular due to its rarity and high price. can't say i could name much of it, although when i have a look at the manship auctions a lot of the expensive stuff sounds dreadful to me.

although .......... it is partly a rare soul scene i suppose  :sleep3:

link

One of these days there's gonna be a whole new meaning to the words rare soul. Some of the scarcer ones are played whenever I'm out so that makes the rare ones the cheaper ones that never get played.

gaye

Social source share

One of these days there's gonna be a whole new meaning to the words rare soul. Some of the scarcer ones are played whenever I'm out so that makes the rare ones the cheaper ones that never get played.

gaye

link

that you going for more definitions gaye ???? :sleep3:

Davie

Social source share

I must say I do agree with the general sentiment that all thast is played on the scene as rare is good- a lot is crap- but beauty is in the eye of the beholder- and the gullible who are quite happy to be parted from their hard earned brass on the premise that floorfilling capacity means loadsa money should cry into their beer-DJ 's , collectors etc should move away from the recognised list of rare collectable records churned out ad nauseum and allow the scene to be refreshed by the many one offs which will become the records of tomorrow- beleive me - they are out there and rare but not as yet accepted but they will have their day as the $20,000 records of tomorrow

Social source share

I don't necessarily think the most most expensive tracks are the best- maybe a percentage, but it's gotta be down to the individual opinion...some people spend £1000 upwards on a record JUST cuz its rare and nuthin' else, then some people GENUINELY love that track and will do anything to get it- more power to them.

Mischief has been saying for years the cheaper vinyl as a rule goes unnoticed, and he's got some great records.......IMVHO of course.....

Last one I heard that I wanted was Bill Bush- I'm Waiting.(approx £800?) When I can decide whether to spend that on either my Lammy or the vinyl i'll let ya know... ranting_1.gif

Edited by AL_R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!