Which Manship Record Guide To Buy First?

Guest vespadan83

Guest vespadan83

Hello all

I think it's about time to get a copy of Manships record guide.

Not sure which addition to get first though.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Vespadan83

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello all

I think it's about time to get a copy of Manships record guide.

Not sure which addition to get first though.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Vespadan83

I would get the bootleg guide first if you are looking at buying records. Could save you loads.

But if its a browsing book you want then take your pick.

Paul

Social source share

I would get the bootleg guide first if you are looking at buying records. Could save you loads.

But if its a browsing book you want then take your pick.

Paul

Good advice!

Manships new bootleg guide (is the new one available yet ?) and all four volumes of R&B Indies and you're set to go. The price guides are pretty useless, google is usually more accurate.

Social source share

How can the price guides be pretty useless? Apart from being pretty good reference guides you can bet most who sell and don't know the prices will set their price by these guides. How many times do you see on here someone asking for a value and then get quoted what the price guide quote.

If you are going to buy one, buy the latest just for extra thats not in previous guides. New Bootleg guide out sometime this year as far as I know.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'd say that any JM price guide is pretty helpful, if only to see how much more money John can and usually does get for something than an average joe with a box of 45s, on a table at a dance, would do :thumbsup:

As long as people remember that they are just that i.e. a price guide, and not the benchmark by which all future sales should be measured, price guides work fine and are worth referring to when looking for records. It usually pays to remember that, certainly where John's books are concerned, he's usually setting the prices based on what he might get for mint or near mint 45s rather than for copies that have been pulled in and out of DJ boxes for 20 years...

TONE

Social source share

I'd say that any JM price guide is pretty helpful, if only to see how much more money John can and usually does get for something than an average joe with a box of 45s, on a table at a dance, would do :thumbsup:

As long as people remember that they are just that i.e. a price guide, and not the benchmark by which all future sales should be measured, price guides work fine and are worth referring to when looking for records. It usually pays to remember that, certainly where John's books are concerned, he's usually setting the prices based on what he might get for mint or near mint 45s rather than for copies that have been pulled in and out of DJ boxes for 20 years...

TONE

Quite Eloquently Put Forward Indeed Tone.

Social source share

"The price guides are pretty useless, google is usually more accurate" ??

Lars have you seen Price guide 4 ??

a-sides, b-sides, label differences, spelling mistakes, mis-presses, label #'s, DJ to stock value, an ID on what's been bootlegged..does google do all that.. ?? Maybe am i missing something?

If ya want to spend the time googlin' for 60,000+ titles and find less than 1/2 of them, then yeh Price Guides are pretty useless.

Personnally I love to learn and read all references I can.. that's why I pop on here from time to time..to learn. Even one scrap of info I didn't previously know means my time spent is not been uselessly spent.

if you find Price guides useless.. your a better informed guy than me and anyone else who uses this forum.

I never ceased to be amazed, how little we know about our music, everyday I learn countless knew facts and without fail a new worthy 45.. to add to the price guide..

I've yet to see a record reference book that is useless.

Social source share

a-sides, b-sides, label differences, spelling mistakes, mis-presses, label #'s, DJ to stock value, an ID on what's been bootlegged..does google do all that.. ?? Maybe am i missing something?

If ya want to spend the time googlin' for 60,000+ titles and find less than 1/2 of them, then yeh Price Guides are pretty useless.

Personnally I love to learn and read all references I can.. that's why I pop on here from time to time..to learn. Even one scrap of info I didn't previously know means my time spent is not been uselessly spent.

if you find Price guides useless.. your a better informed guy than me and anyone else who uses this forum.

I never ceased to be amazed, how little we know about our music, everyday I learn countless knew facts and without fail a new worthy 45.. to add to the price guide..

Wouldnt be without bootleg guide and price guide. saved me a few times. both invaluable.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I know many people take John's Guide as GOSPEL, when setting prices, but it is an INVALUABLE tool, nevertheless, and I would not be without one! Thanks John :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well said John,is there a new bootleg guide due?,had mine for years now,saved a few red faces I'll say,what would the scene do without your guides,nice one. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is the 4th one out??

Not yet, but by the time he has managed to finance the rest of the books it probably will be.

Google does most of what Price Guide 3 does. I haven't seen the new one but it sounds like a good reference book. And I did mention your bootleg guide as one of the basic/important books to get. I would love to see a pure reference book from you without prices, partly because I have never had a positive experience regarding the price guide and partly because you know too much not to publish a more extensive reference guide. A price guide distorts the market, it's too static. Your new concept regarding the online price reference database that you mentioned once before sounds like a much better idea, although knowing that the guy responsible for the price guide is also the seller who manages to get the best (highest) prices is a bit worrying (I'm not implying that you do anything wrong, just that you are good at what you do).

That's true, but it takes time to gather all the books. Looking back at what I have learnt since I started collecting I would say that price guides are not that essential.

Social source share

Lars,

I think "guide" is the operative word here.

I struggle with the 10,000+ 12"'s we have, I google around and still 30% of them I can find, no info at all on..so a 12" price guide for me would be most-useful.

I think if your "googling" for reasonably common 45s, a price guide is not essential. This week I'm trying to get a handle on these beauties below, and this is just for starters:

Can you "google" them for me, I'd be most interested what you turn up with (it's a sorta challenge).

But this is the problem I have everyday..

Recent arrivals to value and for you to google.

othello robertson - testifi 033

wain randall - delphi 0019

staccato's - rocket 811

howard tate - bumper to bumper - unissued???

gino washington - perfecta 2880

juanita williams - fay 102

johnny torrence - jinnco 541

cene roye - cyclone 122

eddie purrell - hit sound 222*

matt ti mattison - ebony 1000*

All Northern Soul or * = Deep Soul..

I knew nothing about any of these until recently, other than they are really good records and rare 45s.

They will all be in price guide 5 along with 1000's of other "new" worthy enteries.

I think price guides are absolutely essential, I have every one, on every form of music..i'd be bloody lost without them, but I always (as I'm sure you do) formulate my own opinion on the price i think it should sell for.

Social source share

Lars,

I struggle with the 10,000+ 12"'s we have, I google around and still 30% of them I can find, no info at all on..so a 12" price guide for me would be most-useful.

I think if your "googling" for reasonably common 45s, a price guide is not essential. This week I'm trying to get a handle on these beauties below, and this is just for starters:

Can you "google" them for me, I'd be most interested what you turn up with (it's a sorta challenge).

othello robertson - testifi 033 £1.50

wain randall - delphi 0019 £3.75

staccato's - rocket 811 £2.25

howard tate - bumper to bumper - unissued??? £1

gino washington - perfecta 2880 £5

juanita williams - fay 102 £7.50

johnny torrence - jinnco 541 £11.21

cene roye - cyclone 122 7/6p

eddie purrell - hit sound 222* £3.17

matt ti mattison - ebony 1000* £6

I knew nothing about any of these until recently, other than they are really good records and rare 45s.

They will all be in price guide 5 along with 1000's of other "new" worthy enteries.

I think price guides are absolutely essential, I have every one, on every form of music..i'd be bloody lost without them, but I always (as I'm sure you do) formulate my own opinion on the price i think it should sell for.

of the top of me head :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Lars,

Nobody reads that part of the title :rolleyes:

wain randall - delphi 0019

staccato's - rocket 811

gino washington - perfecta 2880

juanita williams - fay 102

cene roye - cyclone 122

eddie purrell - hit sound 222*

matt ti mattison - ebony 1000*

Hey ! Finally something fun !

Wain Randall It don't pay/You could change your mind Delphi 0019

staccato's - rocket 811

gino washington - YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN TRUE/I LOST YOU GIRL - perfecta 2880 (ask moerer, he used to have this :thumbsup: )

jaunita williams - pay for your dirt/violence everywhere - fay 102 £30/40

cene roye - cyclone 122 $144.86

eddie purrell - Trying to run my life / Had to be a lover - hit sound 222* (didn't sell @ £50)

matt 't.i.' madison - don't make me cry - ebony 1000* £75

If you had added the titles it would have been quicker, but I have corrected your spelling on two artists :shades:

Note that the gino washington is listed with two different releases on perfecta 2880, but according to Flynny the one I have added is the correct one (don't know if you have other titles).

Prices were found using online searches only. Normally I would also ask people on several forums, but I have not done so this time.

Is the Staccato's soul ? Or are you trying to pull another trick on me (in addition to the bad spelling)?

I've not searched for the Howard Tate because it sounds to me like your talking about an acetate.

I think I've done well with the minimal amount of info you gave me. Song titles would have made it much easier (or have I already mentioned that?)

Social source share

Is this a version of the Derek Martin tune on Roulette? Or is it Derek Martin? I remember that you once had an auction for an acetate of Derek Martin's "Breakaway" on Roulette described as an "unissued Invitations tune" but then took it down. Did this acetate(?) come form the same source? Very interesting if it is an unissued Howard Tate tune, from which period is it?

Social source share

IM HAVING ALOT OF FUN AT THE MOMMENT BUYING DISCS,MY VIEW IS THE MARKET HAS TOOK A HIT AND YOU VERY SELDOM SEE RECORDS GO FOR THE PRICES IN QUIDES.HOWEVER THE STARTING POINT FOR ME IS THE 4TH EDITION ,RECENTLY GOT THREE IN THERE JIMMY BURNS FOR 70 QUID ON USA BOOK 200,BILLY THOMPSON 82 QUID QUIDE 200 AND WHITE DEMO OF THE APPRECIATIONS ON SPORT FOR 55 QUID.

THE BIGGER RECORDS ARE HOLDING THEIR PRICES QUTE NICELY AND SOME 2001 BLACK ESSENCE SMASHING ALL RECORDS ,THATS THE FUN OF COLLECTING ,THE QUIDES HAVE HELPED YOU COMPARE AND CONTRAST ,ALL WE DID IN THE PAST WAS SAY TO OUR MATES HOW MUCHHHHHHH? LOL.

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

PS THE BOOTLEG QUIDE IS VERY INFORMATIVE SO RECOMEND THAT ALSO.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert