Most Unexpected Soul Act On Top Of The Pops?

Hopefully someone not already in a Nursing Home will be able to back me up on this but out of the blue as I was watching the show in 1966 they announced an act I'd never heard of before. It was The Spellbinders and they did Help Me. They were obviously incredible, doing a down on the knees bit etc. I went out and ordered the record the next day and waited about 3 weeks for it to arrive in the local shop. Still have it today.

Anyone else remember seeing them and any other similar surprises anyone?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hopefully someone not already in a Nursing Home will be able to back me up on this but out of the blue as I was watching the show in 1966 they announced an act I'd never heard of before. It was The Spellbinders and they did Help Me. They were obviously incredible, doing a down on the knees bit etc. I went out and ordered the record the next day and waited about 3 weeks for it to arrive in the local shop. Still have it today.

Not old enough but I have heard this story before.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I've heard of this before and that on the same weekend they appeared at The Wheel.

I remember speaking to the late James Hamilton (Dr Soul) and he told me that they were the Best live act he'd ever seen... although I think he saw them at The Apollo if my memory serves me right (Harlem... not Manchester).

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What about the Voices of East Harlem in early 1971? - I bet it really surprised the producers when they jumped off the stage and did the conga through the audience giving Black Power salutes! :rolleyes:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

The Spellbinders

Help Me

26th January, 1967

Presenter

Simon Dee

From the Top of The Pops Website

Ian

Sorry to interupt thread.

Hi Ian,

Hope your all ok, tried to pm n email you, seem's to be a problem sending them. If you get a min can you try my email again - I've got the correct one in my profile. Hope your making a trip back again this year would be great to see you both :rolleyes:

Karen

x

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Mention of Voices of East Harlem took me on a bit of a nostalgia trip.

I saw them live at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival (nearest we ever came to a U.K. "Woodstock")

They were part of a 3-day bill that included Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Who, Moody Blues . . . . far too many to mention!!

I thought they were absolutely stunning and for months afterwards I was raving about them to anyone who would listen - but all to no avail as I don't believe they ever had a record in the U.K. charts.

A TOTP appearance in 1971 didn't sound quite right so I did a search on the TOTP website. The date it gives is actually 3rd Sept 1970. This makes perfect sense as the festival was over August Bank Holiday 26th-30th Aug and this would have been the TOTP of the following week.

MB

P.S. Just looked at the Wikipedia entry for the IOW festival and for the Voices of East Harlem it says "Their August 28th set received several standing ovations." Pleased to read that as it shows my mind is not playing tricks with me!!!

Social source share

I've actually got a couple of lost TOTP episodes on reel to reel tape. My ex wife's dad recorded them for her. I can't remember any soul acts but one has Pink Floyd doing See Emily Play and another features a Swedish group called Ola & The Janglers! There's also a full episode of Crackerjack with musical guests the Love Affair and Don Partridge. Oh and I've got all those Mike Raven shows on reel to reel too. Different source mind.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Pete

The desperate lengths we would go to to make recordings in those days!!!

Presumably those reel to reel recordings were just done through a mike.

As recently as the mid-80's I can remember making up tapes for parties using tracks recorded through a mike off "Pick of the Pops".

I don't recall the sound quality being THAT bad.

MB

P.S. I am sure when I was a kid in our house we had a reel-to-reel tape recorder before we ever had a record player.

I remember coveting tape copies of the early Beatles albums that were in the window of our local record shop. I don't know what they would have cost - but it might as well have been a million pounds!!

Social source share

Pete

The desperate lengths we would go to to make recordings in those days!!!

Presumably those reel to reel recordings were just done through a mike.

As recently as the mid-80's I can remember making up tapes for parties using tracks recorded through a mike off "Pick of the Pops".

I don't recall the sound quality being THAT bad.

MB

P.S. I am sure when I was a kid in our house we had a reel-to-reel tape recorder before we ever had a record player.

I remember coveting tape copies of the early Beatles albums that were in the window of our local record shop. I don't know what they would have cost - but it might as well have been a million pounds!!

Actually these were done using a kind of din-plug (is that what they were called) so it's actually a line-in recording. There's another one, an hour long Petula Clark live special! bet thats worth something. To Pet Clark fans. (I really like here mid 60's Pye cuts but wouldn't say I'm a fan)

Social source share

I've actually got a couple of lost TOTP episodes on reel to reel tape. My ex wife's dad recorded them for her. I can't remember any soul acts but one has Pink Floyd doing See Emily Play and another features a Swedish group called Ola & The Janglers! There's also a full episode of Crackerjack with musical guests the Love Affair and Don Partridge. Oh and I've got all those Mike Raven shows on reel to reel too. Different source mind.

hi Pete, was the Crackerjack episode the one where L Affair sing "love goes where my Rosemary goes"?(think that's the title).

Seem to also remember them doing "Everlasting love" was that also Crackerjack?.

Those were the days......it's 5 to 5 and its CRACKERJACK.....what ever happenend to Peter Glaze?.Signing off with my CRACKERJACK pencil,,KEV. :shades:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've heard of this before and that on the same weekend they appeared at The Wheel.

Sean

...They also played at the Saville Theatre in London's Shaftesbury Avenue on that same short tour. Shame for me that I didn't see my first gig until around 6 months later.

I did, however, see Gladys Knight & The Pips at the Saville, around the time that "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" came out, if memory serves. 40 years later I can still recall that they started their set with "Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself"...

TONE

Social source share

hi Pete, was the Crackerjack episode the one where L Affair sing "love goes where my Rosemary goes"?(think that's the title).

Seem to also remember them doing "Everlasting love" was that also Crackerjack?.

Those were the days......it's 5 to 5 and its CRACKERJACK.....what ever happenend to Peter Glaze?.Signing off with my CRACKERJACK pencil,,KEV. :thumbsup:

Didnt know love affair had done love grows as I thought it was by Edison Lighthouse

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Dead right.......... they were a Kent outfit. See the keyboard player regularly, he plays at the 'Legion !

One (s) Hit wonders..

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I saw them live at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival (nearest we ever came to a U.K. "Woodstock")

They were part of a 3-day bill that included Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Who, Moody Blues . . . . far too many to mention!!

I thought they were absolutely stunning and for months afterwards I was raving about them to anyone who would listen - but all to no avail as I don't believe they ever had a record in the U.K. charts.

A TOTP appearance in 1971 didn't sound quite right so I did a search on the TOTP website. The date it gives is actually 3rd Sept 1970. This makes perfect sense as the festival was over August Bank Holiday 26th-30th Aug and this would have been the TOTP of the following week.

MB

P.S. Just looked at the Wikipedia entry for the IOW festival and for the Voices of East Harlem it says "Their August 28th set received several standing ovations." Pleased to read that as it shows my mind is not playing tricks with me!!!

No that's fine. I actually guessed that it was early in 1971 in fact, though 1970 does make more sense given that "Right On, Be Free" was issued towards the end of that year. Thanks for confirming the date. I was beginning to wonder if I didn't dream seeing it, or perhaps saw a repeat of it somewhere, as it was so long ago and nobody ever seemed to remember seeing it!

In any case I think there was something of a furore in the press following that episode, as Dave Godin wrote that they were subsequently accused of "being full of Black Pride!" (Remember this happened against the backdrop of the campaign against the Black Panthers)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...They also played at the Saville Theatre in London's Shaftesbury Avenue on that same short tour. Shame for me that I didn't see my first gig until around 6 months later.

I did, however, see Gladys Knight & The Pips at the Saville, around the time that "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" came out, if memory serves. 40 years later I can still recall that they started their set with "Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself"...

TONE

I'm jealous! glare.gif I mean it!

I didn't get to see them until 1972 (at Birmingham Odeon) Tickets for the third row cost £1.25, but the place was half empty! Desmond Dekker & The Aces were the support group and, as it was Gladys' birthday, the Manager presented her with a bouquet of flowers. Stunning performance, naturally. She started THAT particular set with "Giving Up", the first verse of which was sung offstage, thus adding to the excitement when the Pips bounded onto stage, followed by Gladys, still singing! I think I had a genuine "out of body experience" that night!

post-4950-1173919495_thumb.jpg

(No, you're quite right. I never throw anything away!) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

https://www.tv.com/top-of-the-pops-uk/26th-...61/summary.html

Don't know if anyones put this link up yet (should have read more closely before pressing on "reply" really!). Alongside Cream "I feel free" and Cat Stevens "Matthew and Son". They don't make 'em like that any more etc. thumbsup.gif

Notes from a "Nursing Home" (cheek!)

As I get older, I'm less and less inclined to be so "snooty" towards the simple and honest pop music of the 'Sixties. (Mainly for nostalgic reasons though, I admit) "Matthew And Son" and Barry Ryan's "Eloise" etc. sound good to me today and bring back fond memories of the times, whatever else I was getting into! I guess you can't always choose the soundtrack to your life, however craftily you try to edit it later!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Actually these were done using a kind of din-plug (is that what they were called) so it's actually a line-in recording. There's another one, an hour long Petula Clark live special! bet thats worth something. To Pet Clark fans. (I really like here mid 60's Pye cuts but wouldn't say I'm a fan)

Yes, actually I quite liked the run of songs she had around 1964-5 "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love", "Don't Sleep In The Subway", "I Know A Place" and so on. "Downtown" is a pop classic in anybody's language.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

'Ola & The Janglers' - that just HAS to be a cover-up name! laugh.gif

Social source share

MB

They were terrific. I've still got Right on Be free. Their backing band were shit hot too. Elektra spent quite a bit of money on them but no bi sales ensued.

Voices-Of-East-Harlem-Logo.jpg

some notes here

Soul walking

The Voices of East Harlem

"After a long wait, during which the entire microphone system seemed to be completely rewired about three times they took more than half an hour to get their act off the ground and the crowd on its feet. Their act included "For What It's Worth" (Steve Stills), "Sing a Simple Song of Freedom" and "Right On, Be Free", their new single. They let rip with spontaneous whoops and hollers, but when the applause was sparse - as it was, for the first half-dozen numbers - they stood awkwardly, peering out through the spotlights at the assembled multitude. Things rapidly got better.

"The amazing and unique "Voices of East Harlem" slayed a very cold 2am crowd. They are an incredible line-up of black kids of various ages, looking much like several sets of Jackson Five's dressed in "Dead End Kid" denim and punching out a wild soulful, gospel sound. The ideal act for that time in the morning, with an overall sound really filling the air, as did the roar for more when they eventually left the stage after an incredible version of John Fogerty's "Proud Mary". Fifteen singers and six instrumentalists ranging in age from 12 to mid-20s; they all originated from New York, some from Harlem, some from the Bronx, and despite this sang of equality, freedom, peace and love. A difficult act to follow."

from Nights In White Satin - An Illustrated History of the Isle of Wight Pop Festivals

"... Voices of East Harlem ... did a rock-and-soul set on Friday of what was ultimately the utmost excitement ..."

from Isle of Wight 1970 - The Last Great Festival

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'Ola & The Janglers' - that just HAS to be a cover-up name! :thumbsup:

Ola and the Janglers, svensk popgrupp bildad i Stockholm 1962. Fr¥n b¶rjan bestod bandet av: Ola H¥kansson (s¥ng), Christer Idering (gitarr), Johannes Olsson (orgel), ...ke Elds¤ter (bas), och Leif Johansson (trummor). Gruppen tog s¤rskilt starkt intryck av tv¥ brittiska musikgrupper, Manfred Mann och The Zombies. Deras f¶rsta l¥t som kom att hamna p¥ Tio i topp var ocks¥ en cover p¥ Zombies "She's Not There".

Claes af Geijerstam ersatte Idering som gitarrist 1966. Gruppen hade ett antal hits, bland dem kan n¤mnas "No, No, No" (1965), "Love Was on Your Mind", "Poetry in Motion", "Alex is the Man" (1966), "Strolling Along", "Runaway" (Del Shannons l¥t) (1968), och en cover p¥ Chris Montez "Let's Dance", vilken blev en stor hit 1968. Efter uppl¶sningen av gruppen bildade n¥gra av medlemmarna Secret Service.

...I think that probabaly covers everything :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ola and the Janglers, svensk popgrupp bildad i Stockholm 1962. Fr¥n b¶rjan bestod bandet av: Ola H¥kansson (s¥ng), Christer Idering (gitarr), Johannes Olsson (orgel), ...ke Elds¤ter (bas), och Leif Johansson (trummor). Gruppen tog s¤rskilt starkt intryck av tv¥ brittiska musikgrupper, Manfred Mann och The Zombies. Deras f¶rsta l¥t som kom att hamna p¥ Tio i topp var ocks¥ en cover p¥ Zombies "She's Not There".

Claes af Geijerstam ersatte Idering som gitarrist 1966. Gruppen hade ett antal hits, bland dem kan n¤mnas "No, No, No" (1965), "Love Was on Your Mind", "Poetry in Motion", "Alex is the Man" (1966), "Strolling Along", "Runaway" (Del Shannons l¥t) (1968), och en cover p¥ Chris Montez "Let's Dance", vilken blev en stor hit 1968. Efter uppl¶sningen av gruppen bildade n¥gra av medlemmarna Secret Service.

...I think that probabaly covers everything :shades:

Thank you, that was er, very enlightening.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert