April 29th

May 27th

June 24th

July 29th

August 26th

September 30th

October 28th

November 25th

and I'm not sure about the December date yet.

In other words it's the fourth Friday of every month. At the time these dates were booked there were no other venues using the fourth Friday in the West Midlands.

Resident DJs Phil Richards, Woody, and me, when I'm not booked somewhere else already. Plus at least one guest every month.

Info from the promoters Info: Phil 07851647978 Woody 07906342640

Edited by Dave Rimmer
  • Replies 21
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Original vinyl only I think.

Not sure what I make of that.

A bit elitist, to keep the plebs out or what?

link

It's not on the flyers to keep anybody out.

It's there for the same reason you put 'Originals' on your record list to distinguish them from bootlegs. So that people know what they are getting.

I know it doesn't bother you what format DJs use, but it does affect a lot of people's decisions, hence that's why it's there.

Do you think so? I'd come to hear you, Max, whoever playing records, wouldn't give a toss what label they were on - it's more important to find people who play decent records as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, what the hell difference does it make to the person dancing to them?

Guest in town Mikey

I dont know why it would keep the 'plebs' out either.

When Dan and I discussed running a night, we said we wanted originals only, and would therefore only ask guys who use originals only, to come and play for us. There is nothing wrong with playing an original thats worth a tenner, and we would rather that happen than an OOTP re-issue worth £50.

We are also actively seeking out the South Wales #plebs', by advertising at the local university, and by giving out a cd to all who come along, so they can hear the tunes we will be playing there regularly. If we can encourage one or two new people to seek out Northern Soul sounds on original vinyl, then we can count our night as being a success, regardless of the number of people we can get thru the door. who knows, some record dealers may even benefit too, if that happens :)

It just smacks of elitism to me. DJ's just wanting to show off about their collections. I take it no venue ever plays Frank Wilson apart from the ones kenny dj's at, or you can't play unreleased tracks because there is no original vinyl?

Yes, the most stupid criteria for a northern night so far.

Not everyone is a record collector or gives a toss what label it's on.

Do you think so?  I'd come to hear you, Max, whoever playing records, wouldn't give a toss what label they were on - it's more important to find people who play decent records as far as I'm concerned.  Anyway, what the hell difference does it make to the person dancing to them?

link

Personally I do think it makes a difference. Certainly at the level and frequency I DJ at. But I've had this arguement so many times it's not worth going over again and again. But I did notice on another thread you said that someeone wouldn't want you to DJ because the first thirty records in your box were strange single sided things. So you obviously do realise that it makes a difference.

Anyway, are you implying that we might tempt you out of your hermit like existance in the wilds of Wombourne :-)

Suffice to say that the people DJing at the Black Horse will be playing original vinyl only. Whether it's worth a tenner or a couple of grand. and everyone is welcome.

Personally I do think it makes a difference. Certainly at the level and frequency I DJ at. But I've had this arguement so many times it's not worth going over again and again. But I did notice on another thread you said that someeone wouldn't want you to DJ because the first thirty records in your box were strange single sided things. So you obviously do realise that it makes a difference.

It doesn't make a difference to me and I don't think it makes a difference to more than a handful of people.

Now, I recently cut all my favourite records of the ones I used to own which I had to sell, are you saying you'd rather me not play Johnnie Mae Matthews off a dub and would rather to listen to me play an original of The Snake instead?

Logic?

I just think that kind of policy will put people off rather than encourage them, thats all

link

But if you come to the Black Horse you won't have to listen to Johnnie Mae Mathews off a dub, it'll be an original.

Although how saying the DJs will be playing original records not bootlegs will put people off I have no idea, you've already said it doesn't matter to the dancers.

If it's of no consequence, why do you make the distinction on your record lists ?

Edited by Dave Rimmer

If it's of no consequence, why do you make the distinction on your record lists ?

link

Surely collecting a record is different to dancing to it or playing it?

If I don't differnciate between a pressing of - say - george blackwell and an original, someone is going to pay 500 quid for a pressing...but if you play the record on the decks, how does anyone know it's a pressing or original without having to form a queue to look at it, and what purpose does that serve?

Surely you can see why I'm thinking it's just a way for people to say hey look at me, I've got this record?

If it works, fucking great, and I hope it does, just saying I don't agree with it thats all. I could easily still do a set of original 45's but I'd rather mix it with rarer things that people would like to hear but have no chance because only a couple of people have the originals.

Surely you can see why I'm thinking it's just a way for people to say hey look at me, I've got this record?

link

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how a DJ earns a good reputation, by playing records they have got ?

If it works, fucking great, and I hope it does, just saying I don't agree with it thats all.  I could easily still do a set of original 45's but I'd rather mix it with rarer things that people would like to hear but have no chance because only a couple of people have the originals.

link

You might as well use CDs then. Enough said though, we'll just go round in circles arguing on this one. You're still wrong though :-)

Hmmm, I did wonder how much was genuine and how much was see how far you could wind me up.

Pick on someone else now !

link

I might actually come to this do Dave, straight line, turn right, turn left, I'm there! Plus I like the Black Horse. Do you want me to plug it??

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd heard that you had to have it upstairs as Max was still propped up in the corner by the Bar from the old Crossover 2000 nights :):lol:

Guest Phil Richards

Hmmm, I did wonder how much was genuine and how much was see how far you could wind me up.

Pick on someone else now !

link

You can pick on me now Pete biggrin.gif

Phil