Very Important Ebay Sellers Fees Information

Alamo

Dear All,

For those of you who are not aware Ebay changed their Selling Fees from March 1st which radically affect the final charges at the end. Basically they have reduced their insertion fees by 10p but get this, the Final Valuation Fees have now gone up to 9% across the board from 3.5% (average)!!!

I know a lot of people dont check their accounts but here is an extract from an email I received from Ebay when I queried my account charges: :angry:

Here are some of the highlights of the fee changes that take effect on

eBay.co.uk on March 1, 2007:

We're lowering the Insertion Fees and simplifying the Final Value Fees

charged on certain media items. We hope that this will make it more

attractive for sellers to list a wider range of Media items. These

categories will be affected:

* Books, Comics & Magazines (excluding the Accessories sub-category).

* DVDs, Film and TV (excluding the Accessories/Storage, Film Memorabilia

and TV Memorabilia sub-categories).

* The Games sub-category of Video Games (change does not apply to all

other sub-categories of Video Games).

* Music (excluding the Music Memorabilia and Accessories/ Storage

sub-categories).

Multiple item listings in these categories will also have a slightly

different pricing structure.

Selling fees for Books, Music, DVDs, Film & TV, Video Games ("Media")

products

Format Starting Price New Insertion Fee

Auction-style £0.01 - £0.99 £0.05

Auction-style £1.00 - £4.99 £0.10

Auction-style £5.00 - £14.99 £0.10

Auction-style £15.00 - £29.99 £0.10

Auction-style £30.00 - £99.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £0.01 - £0.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £1.00 - £4.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £5.00 - £14.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £15.00 - £29.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £30.00 - £99.99 £0.10

Buy It Now £100.00 or more £0.10

Final Sale Price Final Value Fee

Item not sold No Fee

£0.01 - £29.99 9% of the closing value balance

£30.00 - £599.99 9% of the closing value balance

Over £600.00 9% of the closing value balance

I hope this information answers your question. Thank you for using eBay.

:P So, gloves on, if you sell an item for £10, they will take 90p, not to mention Paypal charges (owned by Ebay!!) if you use them. Me thinks Ebay is taking full advantage of a good thing!

How about Soul Source running an auction!!? I think we would all rather support this Forum than pay excessive charges to EBay/Paypal.

Anyone who knows the Soul Source creators/managers, get on to the auction thing straight away. It could be a real winner!!!! What Do You think?

Be interested to here your thoughts. I wondered if you might get away with listing your items unders 'Music Memorabilia' for example. You may pay a higher listing charge (which weve accepted as the norm for years) but at least the FVF wouldnt be so high!! I know the searches could pose a problem for that one!

Make no mistake, They are on to a big hike in their profits this way. Its the users who are the losers.

Alamo thumbsup.gif

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 7
  • Views 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Tommy

Yep, total rip off if you ask me. The sad thing is, give it a couple of years, it'll be 13 / 15%.

After Listing fees, Enging fees & Paypal fees you end up with about 80% of your money.

I wish i owned Ebay :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yes the new fee structure is a nightmare but it was announced about a month ago so I'm surprised people are only complaining about it now.

Thats not the worst bit though! They have also changed the visibility of items...previously any item you listed on the .co.uk site and had marked as 'Will Post Worldwide' automatically showed on the .com and other sites as well. That has changed now, items are now only visible on the site you list them on so US buyers no longer see your items when browsing. Net result: lower sales ratio & lower end prices on top of increased fees. Thats why I've spent the last month since eBay made these announcments relaunching my website.

Adam.

Social source share

Yes the new fee structure is a nightmare but it was announced about a month ago so I'm surprised people are only complaining about it now.

Thats not the worst bit though! They have also changed the visibility of items...previously any item you listed on the .co.uk site and had marked as 'Will Post Worldwide' automatically showed on the .com and other sites as well. That has changed now, items are now only visible on the site you list them on so US buyers no longer see your items when browsing. Net result: lower sales ratio & lower end prices on top of increased fees. Thats why I've spent the last month since eBay made these announcments relaunching my website.

Adam.

Thats interesting Adam, I wasn't aware of that. I have to plead guilty to not monitoring my account but I sold a record for £500 a few weeks ago and couldnt believe the £44 FVF!! I was flabergasted.

You got a link to your site please!?

regards - Ali

Social source share

Thats interesting Adam, I wasn't aware of that. I have to plead guilty to not monitoring my account but I sold a record for £500 a few weeks ago and couldnt believe the £44 FVF!! I was flabergasted.

You got a link to your site please!?

regards - Ali

Hi Ali,

eBay have shot themselves in the foot with this one. You can already see the difference in the record category...auction listings are down and loads now have much higher starting prices. Once they start to see the effect on their bottom line then they might reconsider but until then we either have to put up with it or sell elsewhere.

My site is: www.soulsupermarket.co.uk

Cheers

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Hi Ali,

eBay have shot themselves in the foot with this one. You can already see the difference in the record category...auction listings are down and loads now have much higher starting prices. Once they start to see the effect on their bottom line then they might reconsider but until then we either have to put up with it or sell elsewhere.

My site is: www.soulsupermarket.co.uk

Cheers

Adam.

I used to have every respect for ebay until ebay shop owners fvf's increased to 9% about 8 months ago, that was when I closed my ebay shop. I started spreading the word the very day the 9% auction fvf's were broadcast two months ago. Now I view ebay as scum, along with their best friend Paypal. I no longer have any respect for them and the only time I will list records on ebay now is for bulk job lots of shit. Even if the fees were reduced to the previous level I would only list items grudgingly that I had no other outlet for, such as rock and pop.

Give you an example, I sold a £260 psych rock LP in the final week of previous fees at £11.03 including listing fee, and if id listed it on a 10p day it would have cost £9.13. The same today would cost £23.50. It's blatant profiteering, however they can only take the piss out of their (former) customers to a certain degree before they react. If the majority of ebay's record market stopped listing then they would have to act. I believe in two months time the amount of record and cd listings will have totally plummeted once people wake up and examine the fees. To be fair though, the increases were well publicised on the site, they certainly were not hidden unlike other organisations would do. Accuse ebay of being greedy by all means, but they are always upfront and clear when it comes to informing the user of their changes.

Martin Snow

Social source share

I used to have every respect for ebay until ebay shop owners fvf's increased to 9% about 8 months ago, that was when I closed my ebay shop. I started spreading the word the very day the 9% auction fvf's were broadcast two months ago. Now I view ebay as scum, along with their best friend Paypal. I no longer have any respect for them and the only time I will list records on ebay now is for bulk job lots of shit. Even if the fees were reduced to the previous level I would only list items grudgingly that I had no other outlet for, such as rock and pop.

Give you an example, I sold a £260 psych rock LP in the final week of previous fees at £11.03 including listing fee, and if id listed it on a 10p day it would have cost £9.13. The same today would cost £23.50. It's blatant profiteering, however they can only take the piss out of their (former) customers to a certain degree before they react. If the majority of ebay's record market stopped listing then they would have to act. I believe in two months time the amount of record and cd listings will have totally plummeted once people wake up and examine the fees. To be fair though, the increases were well publicised on the site, they certainly were not hidden unlike other organisations would do. Accuse ebay of being greedy by all means, but they are always upfront and clear when it comes to informing the user of their changes.

Martin Snow

Hi Martin,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. They have been upfront which is fairplay but I think weve all been wrapped up in selling / buying things instead of paying attention to the detail.

The only things I will sell now are items that I will be happy to shift (if that makes sense). They wont get the benefit of making large sums of money from quality items.Lets hope it al backfires!!

regards - alamo

Social source share