PRESTATYN

Hi

Just wanted to add that from a "modern perspective" I really enjoyed this Prestatyn.

Lots of new additions to the environment , quality dj gear in both rooms this time around

( a better quality sound engineer may have helped on occasions though :shades: ).

The House of Soul was was beautifully "dressed" , the projected graphics in the modern room , the inclusion of a live percussionist to jam with the more uptempo dj's really gave another dimension to the event .

Overall musically the best one yet for me , with more structure to both rooms and not so much musical overlapping. Top , top social crack ..the House of Soul showcased the very best of house and jazz , could have done with a bit more new music in the modern room but I think that will come with time .

Meli'sa Morgan was phenominal ..vocally stunning beyond expectations and the inclusion of Kathy Brown early evening yesterday was geninus .

No complaints from me at all other than the horrible chalets ..many congratulations to Fish for organising the modern side of things ..very caring promoter ,ever present and making sure everything was just so and everyone was happy ..loved it :thumbsup:

Lin

www/myspace.com/soul_underground

www.myspace.com/linsoulunderground

• Replies 154
  • Views 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Only went for Sat afternoon and Niter session as last year found the weekender boring - enjoyed Life Line in the Redemption room Sat afternoon, musically it was over for me after that - feel it would make the weekender worth going to if Life Line was a niter session - just more and more of week in week out stuff in main hall :thumbsup:

Socially it was great but it's also about the music and dancing. Imo it caters for everyone's taste, except those of us that go out to listen and dance to something different for a change, such as semi/unknown record's, c/u's etc and not forgetting the unissued stuff that we rarely get the pleasure to dance too, or hear played out.

The act's were a little disappointing - enjoyed Dee Dee Sharpe in rehersal more than on the nite - all still have great voices. Went on too long, especially the ending. Enjoy live performance's in smaller, more intimate venue's tbh.

Nothing to write home about I'm afraid IMO, had a great time catching up with friends though :shades:

Karen

I got there Thursday lunch time after workin nite duty and soon found myself in good company as most of the Cunliffe crew

where,nt arriving till Fri.

Watched the artist Thur goin thro their paces and great it was to Pat Lewis wow what a lady sooooooo friendly and

still got the voice to move u Phillip Mitchell seemed to be pushin the Midnite hour band to get them to perfection and to be honest on the Sat nite the guys in the band and backin singers where brilliant really up for it musically and kept it all together GREAT..

Spent Thurs meeting up with old mates like Gilly who i had,nt seen since last year always a pleasure to be in his company

rest of time just moving around having the odd drink listening to the music until around 11,o.clock when myself n George Rouse

decided we wanted something to eat and nothin was open apart from hot-dogs so Kit the Scottish Welshmon got his lovely

carer (partner ) to take us around Prestatyn for a Kebab and back to hers for coffee and to sell me some of Kits 45,s behind

his back ..

Friday got up at 6-30am for a bit of training did three laps of the Camp before nearly droppin dead several other guys said they

where comin with me but never surfaced............ :thumbsup:

Got to dinner time the Cunliffe crew where really up for it i was dj,in in the Queen Vic around 1pm and again at 6pm which

i really enjoyed the music played was top notch all day and heard a few new tunes by the time 8pm arrived i felt a bit giddy

after a couple of bottles o pop so went for a quick lie down until 10pm when we hit all the rooms until 7am

Sat morning up at 9am after two hours sleep for trainin had a energy drink and went straight back to sleep :boxing:

got up around 11-45went for a full breccy in the restuarant with George & Co then hit the record bar for a quick look naround

picked up a few wants like the Monzas on Moon which had eluded me for years until i got it in a trade so i was in a reet happy mood

Spent most of Sat nite in the main arena showcase listened to my mate Kev Murphy spot n great it was too watched the artist and boy did they deliver the goods from Rob Wigleys intro for the show.............................................................

Morris Chestnut to Pat Lewis to Roy Roberts to Prince Phillip Mitchell thro to Dee Dee Sharp the guys n gals really hit it

fantastic it was something else and anyone who says they dont like to see live artist well what can i say THIS IS SOUL

THIS IS WHY WE BOUGHT THE RECORDS IN THE FIRST PLACE THANKS...........FOR A BRILLIANT SHOW

Special thanks must go to the band who worked their socks off getting it right musically fantastic show guys THANKS.....

Over the weekend heard some great tunes played in all rooms by the DJ,s but the highlight for me was Soul Sam boy has that guy

got it sussed he was awesome in all the rooms played great tunes in all his spots the highlight being in the Tenty type room

on Sat nite he was brill played great dance music even got me up several times in the modern room as well that takes some doin i,ll tell you..Butch Tim Brown, Carl Fortnum Mick H Arthur Fenn all played some great music in the main room as did Andy Dyson & the Lifeline crew and Andy McCabes Soultown dj,s in the Queen Vic fantastic music played by all and they all deserve Respect for playin such

a really great mix of soul music for the soulies........

All in All it was a fantastic weekend as i expected great people great artist fantasic DJ,s lots of laughs and lots of love from everyone

Booked for next year and i cant wait.........................................

XX IAN CUNLIFFE ( Feelin knackered )

Only went for Sat afternoon and Niter session as last year found the weekender boring - enjoyed Life Line in the Redemption room Sat afternoon, musically it was over for me after that - feel it would make the weekender worth going to if Life Line was a niter session - just more and more of week in week out stuff in main hall :boxing:

Socially it was great but it's also about the music and dancing. Imo it caters for everyone's taste, except those of us that go out to listen and dance to something different for a change, such as semi/unknown record's, c/u's etc and not forgetting the unissued stuff that we rarely get the pleasure to dance too, or hear played out.

The act's were a little disappointing - enjoyed Dee Dee Sharpe in rehersal more than on the nite - all still have great voices. Went on too long, especially the ending. Enjoy live performance's in smaller, more intimate venue's tbh.

Nothing to write home about I'm afraid IMO, had a great time catching up with friends though :(

Karen

I agree about the Main room.I only went 4am SATURDAY and left Sunday mid-day. Felt like I had been there all weekend. The main room? Its as if no one cares about records being repeated....I heard some 3 times and I was only there 8hrs!! I can only compare it to the film 'Groundhog Day'!! I have'nt been for 2 years and one Major dj played almost exactly the same set as he had when I was last there....Stale! or apathetic? But, good mike technique!ha!

Anyway, some enjoy it, I only went to sell some tunes, so i guess I cant complain... :thumbsup:

paul-s

Well me and Mandy been back at home for an hour now,

A great weekender for us,enjoyed every moment of it (exept one).The live performances in my opinion rated as Morris Chestnut was ok but lacked the finishing touch(nice outfit though),Roy Roberts was a bit bland,nothing special,Pat Lewis struggled at times with the vocals but still good,Dee Dee Sharp much much better than i expected and what a voice,Phillip Mitchell well he was exeptional outstanding a true artist,note for note nigh on perfect a real pleasure to listen to,my thanks go out to all the artists.

The main hall great records played even had me up dancing(or trying to)even at 8 am sunday morning still loads of people realy enjoying it.

The Modern room played some awesome tunes Steve Hobbs & Mick Farrar along with our Ivor Jones real great tunes.

Redemption,far too hot and sticky for me,and got too packed but good though.

House of Soul,some wonderfull tunes also played by Sam & Arthur Fenn.

The food in the cafeteria HAS got a little better even if the serving girl does'nt know the difference between Pork & Lamb,got there in the end poor girl.

The Bars ,at some stage the beer went a bit manky,could hardly drink it ,but i still managed to put a fair few away(hence the bad head today)

The Soul People attending,a great bunch of people even a few of non soul fans trying to fit in.

The Record Bar,some great tunes for sale,i picked up a couple of bargains cheers Dave & Louise Welding,a lot of tack for sale mind you,ok if you like that sort of stuff but not for me.I had a great time chatting to Tim Ashebende not seen this man for years.

Lastly to me old mate GILLY a great long chat about all things Detroit and beyond,thanks mate we will do again next year.

Till next year thanks for a great weekender, Toby & Mandy..

HAD A CRACKING TIME, LITERALLY COULDN'T MOVE A FEW FOOT WITHOUT SEEING SOMEONE I'VE NOT SEEN FOR DONKEYS SO SOCIALLY BRILLIANT//ENJOYED THE PUB AND MODERN ROOM ,STUCK MY HEAD IN AND WOBBLED AROUND ON THE DANCE-FLOOR IN MOST ROOMS BUT SPENT MOST OF THE WEEKEND CHATTING AND THE ODD PINT.

P.P.MITCHELL OUTSTANDING ENJOYED ALL THE ACTS THOUGH...WISH I COULD HAVE MADE FRIDAY FOR 'MELISSA MORGAN' BUT IT WASN'T TO BE.

TOP TALKING TO MR EVISON AFTER SO LONG AND ERIC PRICE. JUST TOO MANY GREAT FOLKS TO MENTION ESPECIALLY THE IRISH CREW MARTIN,DANNY D ETC CU IN DUBLIN ON THE 20TH !!

HOPE YOU'VE GOT YOUR VOICE BACK MR RIMMER!

IT WAS ALL ONE MAD RUSH AND SO MANY FOLKS LIKE MIKE RITSON I WANTED TO TALK TO BUT KEPT BUMPING INTO OLD MATES ON THE WAY OVER, NOT COMPLAINING THOUGH I HAD A TOP TIME. CU AT NORTHAMPTON MIKE !!!

TABLE TENNIS KILLA ? IT MUST BE THOSE ANTI-BIOTICS YOUR ON ?

THANKS FOR AN ENJOYABALE WEEKEND EVERYONE !!!!

CHRS MORGAN :thumbsup:

Had a great time, apart for coming over with the lurgy and missing most of saturday night, was over it ready for sunday night though thumbsup.gif

Great to see so many familiar faces, too many to mention. Music in the Queen Vic on Friday and Sunday nights were musically the highlights for me, but a good weekend all round :boxing:

QoFxx

We enjoyed it, the two Modern Rooms were spot-on; Mark Randle worked his socks off either in the two rooms or the Radio, poor fella will need two weeks off to recover. There wasn't a bad or mediocre DJ on in these two room either, great sounds and if someone can bottle Soul Sam's enthusiasm for Soul Music we could make a fortune. The young pup Jamie Taylor entertained; looks 14 and plays like hes been on the scene as long as Sam.

The main room wasn't missed, we looked & listen every now and then; oldies oldies oldies, just what was needed and isn't that the piont to the room, the floor was always busy so it must have been right.

Atmosphere was really good, bloody cold on Sunday and I spent to much money on records thumbsup.gif

Booked for next year, well why not, it's wot you make of it in the end that counts.

Well just got in from coming back from Prestayn...and i must say that i really enjoyed myself...i enjoyed most of the music played which i thought really covered a broad spectrum...and actually took time out this year to spend more time in both the Modern and House of soul...which i found pretty impresive....although not really a lover of live acts...i did enjoy Prince Philip Mitchell and Dee Dee Sharp very much for me..Prestatyn is more of a catch up with people that i just don't get to see as much as i would love too...so my real enjoyment comes from being around them....but i've got no complaints at all about the weekender...something of this size takes an awful lot of organising and i take my hats off to them for their efforts and trying to satisfy 3000+ thanks to you al....l however the only negative aspect was the sub artic conditions yet again!!!!Del(knackered but very happy)xxx

Guest Chris Priestley

If anybody is interested have posted far too many pictures of the Prestatyn Weekender at:

www.seductivesoul.com (scroll half way down page and click to access)

Melis'ia Morgan was brilliant but could not fault the acts in the main room for their performance of the tunez we purchased all those years ago. Good to hear PPM sing "Gonna Build California All Over The World" - nice tune!

Chris

We had a great time from start to finish trying to keep so many people happy must be a nightmare but i think the midnite hour crew do a fantastic job.My lot were in the vic fri and we had a very enjoyable day all the djs did good spots but a special mention to colin wood and pete hulatt for a very special firstspot it was outstanding boys.Spent most of the weekend flitting bettween the pub and the modern room and again enjoyed most of what i heard.Sunday nite started off in the queen vic and keith money and john weston spot was a cracker every tune pure class,2 nice guys with great taste.Finished the weekend off in the main room and had ball,many thanks to john poole rob and karen wigley mark fletcher for haveing us really enjoyed it looking forward to october thumbsup.gif .

this was my 5th visit to prestatyn and i always enjoy it here

the promoters do a great job.

i visited all 5 rooms this year and the pub too

main room was a bit predictable but as always was the busiest

live acts especially ppm and dd sharp were outstanding

heard some great rnb in the smaller room

modern room was a bit flat for me

the only downside was a few of the djs in the main room..northern.. were looking totally uninterested in what they were doing

i must admit that the pub on the saturday afternoon was blinding...well we did stuff bolton..sorry mr rimmer :unsure:

ill be back next year without a doubt

great to meet up with wazz..wazzette..the loverable tracy and andy bin..mischief and emma..mr t and all the other great soul sourcers

moldie

Hi,

I hope everyone got home safely & noone died of hypothermia.

I had a fantastic weekend, spending most of it giggling or laughing & gadding about.

The only problem is I actually intended to spend most of the weekend dancing.

The main room never took off. The sound was patchy, especially Saturday & Sunday, when it ranged from barely audible to distorted. I heard so many records played 3, 4 or 5 times. The dancing in most instances was a bit lacklustre. The Redemption dancefloor was plain unsafe. I dont know. Maybe I'm just being a misery because it took so long to get home today........I have to agree with what everyone is saying, Prestatyn is a great social event. The crowd are very friendly. But I wouldnt go again. Thanks to all the people that talked to me & taught me new dance moves :unsure:

Hey - does anyone know if the winners of the dance competition managed to drink their quota of red bull? Hats off to 'em if they did

Edited by wendy

Isn't it on Shout? It got a release on Jay Boy. I played it a few times at The Rocket.

"I'm Gonna Build California FROM All Over The World" a subtle but important difference.

Isn't it on Shout? It got a release on Jay Boy. I played it a few times at The Rocket.

"I'm Gonna Build California FROM All Over The World" a subtle but important difference.

Yes Shout and Jayboy. Excellent tune!

I've done a brief write up on my Prestatyn experience on my Blog, but it was there and back in a day so it was mainly travelling.

Prestayn 2007

Friday night was party night... off with the traveling rags and on with the gladrags! Lots of hellos, seeya-laters and of course LOADS of dancing yeeehaaaaa!

We did the rounds but started off in the Queen Vic and ended up in the Main Room. Lindsay was quite happy to perch on the end of Dave Rimmer's stall like a little bookend getting drunker and drunker - she stumbled home at 7ish unlike me who, as per usual, made it 'til around 3.30am. 

The Dance Competition was won by someone completely new this time although I actually didn't watch it myself - I think I was gassing in the record bar at that time or more than likely, stocking up on Bud.

Saturday afternoon started around 2ish for us. Lottie dance most of the afternoon and a DJ on stage from the Bolton Soul Club was so impressed with Lottie's staying power that he took the shirt off his back and threw it at her.

I dragged Lottie and Lindsay back to the Queen Vic for the R&B Spectacular and boy, was it! I scooted around that slippery floor like a wet mop; Lindsay wasn't impressed calling it Rock'n'Roll (cheeky cow! ) but Lottie liked it. She did however, say I was embarrassing with my dancing . They both left me there to revel in the music I love all by myself.

After a quick shower and change of pants we found ourselves back in the Main Arena for the evening session. Mike Hughes and I kissed and made up and proceeded talking bollocks to each other whilst listening to the live acts. Don't worry Mike, I can't remember anything that we spoke about! Dee Dee Sharp was a real belter and the crowd really like her judging from all the applause.

I kept getting stopped by random people asking if I was 'The Soulgirl' and after tentatively asking if they had any weapons on them, and with a heavy sigh of relief, I made some new acquaintances.

Lottie managed to scam me for money all night, skipping back with badges, patches, T-shirts and her inaugural fried chicken meal of the weekend. There were quite a few children attending this year so she was able to mingle with her own age when she wasn't twirling around the dance floor like a majorette. Her surprise buy was a present for me! A lovely Zippo lighter with The Soulgirl on it! She was chuffed to bits buying it for me and I was just as thrilled to receive it - thank you so much my beautiful Daughter!

Later in the evening, she put her camera down next to the sinks, bent down to adjust her shoes and by the time she stood up again someone had taken it. She was gutted! She only got it for Christmas and it was her first digital 'proper' camera. If it was stolen then thanks for ruining my Daughters weekend! Stealing at Soul Do's is a big no-no; in fact, stealing personal property is just plain wrong!  Of course, if it was taken inadvertently, in error, then can you contact me regarding its return please?

Yet again I managed a disrespectful 3.30am finish. Jesus, my feet felt as though they had been run over and set on fire and my whole body felt wracked and lead-like. By the end of the evening I was turning down drinks left right and centre - I couldn't drink another drop! 

The Sunday session found us wondering what on earth happend to Pete Widd (our chalet-sharer) as he'd stayed out all night the dirty stop-out... anyhow, we trundled back in to the Main Arena cavorting with Dave Rimmer again. In fact, that was a lovely place to sit within easy reach of the dance floor. Lottie was thumbing through his £2.00 record box and he disappeared only to reappear with a hand full of carrier bags. He told Lottie to fit in as many as she could into these bags and what ever she managed she could have. We all laughed in the knowledge he just didn't want to drag that box home again but Lottie was well made up and Lindsay pissed herself stating that Lottie now had more records than me. Well, that's not hard!

We definitely didn't want to miss For The Connoisseur at the Queen Vic at 6.30pm and by the time we'd checked our watches there wasn't enough time to go and get changed. We sat there in awe as John Weston and Keith Money spun tune after tune of pure gorgeous class. Out of this world and complimenting each other like peaches and cream. Of course, best spin for me was Harvey Aherne, Never Learned To Dance - you just have to dig that Latin! A biiiig guy called Steve Green was up after them and fucking hell, what a set! I've not heard him play before (not that I can remember anyhow) but kudos to him, he followed Keith and John with some awesome stuff which left me with moist eye's. Mick H followed with some 70's which up to that point hadn't really been visited and by 11.30 the show was over and it was time to move back to the Main Arena. Big up for Mick though; he played Can You Dig Where I'm Coming From by Stimulation which I adore (even though it's disco), but the guys voice is like a bar of nutty chocolate.

I really really really had the most brilliant 5 hours of my whole weekend with these guys and heard some spine-tingling, hair-raising songs I've not heard before. I nearly creamed my pants actually!

Funny moment in the Main Arena, when Rimmer was DJing found a string of people stepping on to the stage in search of his Autograph, led by John Weston haha. I think Dave liked all the attention.

Had some lovely chats in the record bar toward the end of the night and so there we were - soul'd out and pissed up yet again. The weekend had flow by so quickly and as ever, we had a stonkin' time.

Thank you Midnight Hour team - priceless! And John Mills, you have a stinky bum 

Photo's are up >>> HERE <<<

Loverly write up Karen...I'm glad Lottie really enjoyed it darling...good photos as well...Naim also had a stonking time...showing off his haircut to all and sundry...that was in between me and him arguing...are all 11 year olds blessed with infinite wisdom or sumfink??...anyway he is already looking forward to next year's weekender...,hasn't quite decided the look yet tho :thumbsup: Delxx

Nice pictures,spotted a few friends on em

wheelchair Dave

Big kieth Manlove

lorraine ( girl with the same blouse top on as you )

Al taylor

The Attic Boys

and a few in the background

Not been to Prestatyne yet

Thanks for the piccy's

Bazza

Ahhhh, Lorraine! I had tried to force her from my memory and there you go, bringing her right up to the front again. Had a great giggle with her about us in the same tops, I said I hate you, your's is half the size of mine :thumbsup: Still, I got more for my money :D

Guest toffee lady

I agree about the Main room.I only went 4am SATURDAY and left Sunday mid-day. Felt like I had been there all weekend. The main room? Its as if no one cares about records being repeated....I heard some 3 times and I was only there 8hrs!! I can only compare it to the film 'Groundhog Day'!! I have'nt been for 2 years and one Major dj played almost exactly the same set as he had when I was last there....Stale! or apathetic? But, good mike technique!ha!

Anyway, some enjoy it, I only went to sell some tunes, so i guess I cant complain... :thumbsup:

paul-s

I totally agree, the music was the same old same old..... enjoyed the Lifeline spot on Saturday afternoon and a couple of sessions in the pub, artists were good, but apart from that it was nothing to write home about.

The seating arrangements are an absolute joke, having to stand up all night, the tables get less and less every year. I heared that health an safety had been in and reduced the number of tables due to the high number in attendance but if that is the case how do they go on in the middle of summer when the camp is full of families holidaying?

How about rare All-nighters in the redemption room instead of 2 Oldies niters in the Main Room and Redemption room...... This might be the only thing that would convince me to return next year

My favourite two photo's from the weekend are these :thumbsup:

Proof that Mike does really like me hehe2.gif

and my absolute favourite is this... superb!

I don't know who this guy was but blimey, what a spinner! I clocked him dancing ALL DAY on Sunday!

Where the F**K did the weekend go. :D

Steve

Where the f*** did you go?

Had Denny Johnson with me all the way from OZ sunday nite,he asked where were you.

Told him i seen you sat nite.Looked in record room.No sign,obviously abducted by aliens..

Fantastic weekend.Met loadsa people who couldn't speak,due to lost voices.

Must of been a dirty glass LOL :thumbsup:

Just for Gavin, I'll add this

I'm standing on stage with Butch this weekend, a young lady comes up onto the stage a berates Butch for not playing (real 60's soul)?!!!!!!. Butch says something to her, at which point she turns to me and says 'He's just so rude'. I reply, 'Yes, but he is from Stoke, so you do have to make some allowances'. To which she replied, ' Your the most arrogant person I've met, you need to get out more, as you clearly know nothing about northern soul'. She then stomped off stage, leaving Butch and I looking somewhat bemused. Magic, it's moments like that, that make the whole thing special :thumbsup::D

Guest Karen Heath

I'm standing on stage with Butch this weekend, a young lady comes up onto the stage a berates Butch for not playing (real 60's soul)?!!!!!!. Butch says something to her, at which point she turns to me and says 'He's just so rude'. I reply, 'Yes, but he is from Stoke, so you do have to make some allowances'. To which she replied, ' Your the most arrogant person I've met, you need to get out more, as you clearly know nothing about northern soul'. She then stomped off stage, leaving Butch and I looking somewhat bemused. Magic, it's moments like that, that make the whole thing special :thumbsup::D

I like that-wise words from the lady! :(

Oh dear god!

comedygold.jpg

Guest fuzzyjon

We both had a great time except for the horrible weather and paper thin walls of the chalets ;-)

Whilst I'm on here.... does anyone have a contact email address for a guy called Ali (Alistair) from Lincoln? He was there with his mate Gaz and some other lads..... He become my adopted Dad on Saturday night apparantly, so I just want to keep in touch....!!! Seriously though, if anyone knows how to contact Ali could they please let me know?

Cheers

Jon

:thumbsup:

Just like to thank Rob Messer for getting me home in one piece. I would like to comment on the rest of the weekend but I don't remember...although I've lots of lovely vinyl in my suitcase and no money left.

M

Glad to hear you got home ok :D and as for all the vinyl you bought, I particualrly like the one I was wearing as a hat on Firday night :thumbsup:

QoFxx