Walthamstow E17 Gets Northern Soul

Guest andys165

Guest andys165

New soul night - the first of its kind in Walthamstow, London E17.

Walls of Heartache launches on Sat Jan 29th at the Cavern, 524 Forest Road - corner of Forest Road and Hoe Street, opposite the sex shops!!

Classic 60s Soul - Motown/Nothern/Stax

9pm-1am just £4 on the door. Please support us so we can make this night a regular, last saturday of them month night. There's nothing like this in the entire area which is why we're doing it.

Stephen Street (old Woodford soul boy turned top producer, Gaz Crowley, Corrine from SOS, Mark Taylor from Smeresh Bar and HDIF's ian watson all lined up. Residetnm DJ is Andy Strickland of HDIF, Get Some Action etc.)

Everyone very welcome - films too!

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Walls of Heartache launches on Sat Jan 29th at the Cavern, 524 Forest Road - corner of Forest Road and Hoe Street, opposite the sex shops!!

9pm-1am just £4 on the door. Please support us so we can make this night a regular, last saturday of them month night. There's nothing like this in the entire area which is why we're doing it.

Stephen Street (old Woodford soul boy turned top producer, Gaz Crowley, Corrine from SOS, Mark Taylor from Smeresh Bar and HDIF's ian watson all lined up. Residetnm DJ is Andy Strickland of HDIF, Get Some Action etc.)

link

Are the films from the shop opposite?

Guest Johnny One Trout

Why are they on as well???? Somewhere between 9 and 1 at a guess or did you mean that it is sponsored by the paper ? wicked.gif

Trout out

link

has a do been on there before - about 7 or so years ago? I remember going to a place in Walthamstow, and met up with Sean Adams there, it was quite a nice venue if I remember.

has a do been on there before - about 7 or so years ago? I remember going to a place in Walthamstow, and met up with Sean Adams there, it was quite a nice venue if I remember.

link

Don't remember one in Walthamstow - one in Leytonstone though...or was it Leyton ?

Guest in town Mikey

Waltahmstow is getting popular all of a sudden. Audra, Maria and Alice are running a free night in 'the soul lounge', formerley Bentleys, just down from the station heading towards Bakers Arms. Hoe Street ?? I think.

Good luck to both.

Colin, I remember an independent record shop near the market in Walthamstow about 79/80. I used to go there if my team were playing in London. My mates would trawl thru the punk stuff and I would try to find some soul things. Think I mostly got boots and british stuff that I got rid of tho.

Don't remember one in Walthamstow - one in Leytonstone though...or was it Leyton ?

link

Yes, we tried a night in Leyton but had to stop due to a change of ownership of the venue and lack of support. Having said that we did manage to get a couple of cracking nights in there.

Good luck with Walls of Heartache, will definetly try to get along and I'll try to get a few East London and Essex bodies down there as well.

Cheers

Richard :thumbsup:

Yes, we tried a night in Leyton but had to stop due to a change of ownership of the venue and lack of support. Having said that we did manage to get a couple of cracking nights in there.

Good luck with Walls of Heartache, will definetly try to get along and I'll try to get a few East London and Essex bodies down there as well.

Cheers

Richard  biggrin.gif

link

I remember going to Chadwell Heath back in the 80s, loved it there! :thumbsup: & Ilford Palais biggrin.gif

Guest in town Mikey

Lol, The Regency Suite, yep happy days  :thumbsup:

link

I went to a mod alldayer at the Ilford palais in theearly 80s. They had a northern soul dancing comp, and one of the lads kicked off because he was the only one dancing 'northern' and the winners were all mods.

What was the name of the guy who used to run them? A big mod Dj at the time who's name has completely escaped me. Could possibly be Tony or Tim?

I went to a mod alldayer at the Ilford palais in theearly 80s. They had a northern soul dancing comp, and one of the lads kicked off because he was the only one dancing 'northern' and the winners were all mods.

What was the name of the guy who used to run them? A big mod Dj at the time who's name has completely escaped me. Could possibly be Tony or Tim?

link

Eddie Piller of Acid Jazz used to have a big hand in running these.

Guest Andy BB

link

Tony Class?

Oh my giddy aunt I'm getting old.

Thats it Andy. Top hole sir

link

Name - Blast from the Past - God Im getting Old! :thumbsup:

Remember the good old days from the Cambridge pub - not there anymore only big roundabout!!

Colin, I remember an independent record shop near the market in Walthamstow about 79/80. I used to go there if my team were playing in London. My mates would trawl thru the punk stuff and I would try to find some soul things. Think I mostly got boots and british stuff that I got rid of tho.

link

Right, there was a shop in the market (still there last time I found myself there), but I don't recall it doing northern.

There was also (c 1979) a shop on Forest Road (I think) - anyway the road that runs north from the top of the market towards the N Circular Rd, that was packed with 10p singles. Kev Griffin found John Drevas Expression in there on MGM pink, and there was a stash of USA Bobby Hutton ABC singles in there as well. It got pretty much trawled over by the local pepperazzi / soul dignitaries, so bargains weren't so easy to find, but they were there, and we often came back with armfulls of stuff, and still had change from a tenner for a pint as well.

Leytonstone was Jim Wilson's shop "Ebony sounds" - good for cheap imports in it's day, and before Jim discovered "The Beatles" :thumbsup: - in the row of shops right by Leytonstone Station.

Guest in town Mikey

That might be the one I was talking about. Like said, it was near the market.

If it is, then there used to be a guy behind the counter who was Canadian. He used to tell my punk mates about him meeting the Ramones.

Guest andys165

Apologies for my spelling yesterday. Parking on side streets near the cavern in easy (Howard Road, Fuller Road, Hurst Road - all E17) and non-permit on Saturday evenings.

The wonderful Small Wonder record shop used to be up the road in Hoe St. - my wife bought all her punk singles there.

Wood Street Antiques market has six record shops - one of which is a great blues and soul shop run by Alan aka Capt Vinyl.

Would love to see some of you folks there on the 29th - help us make it regular as we only have the first 2 written in blood. Venue's not bad at all and NO we won't be showing films from the sex shops opposite.

Andy

"Leytonstone was Jim Wilson's shop "Ebony sounds" - good for cheap imports in it's day, and before Jim discovered "The Beatles" - in the row of shops right by Leytonstone Station."

yeah yeah its all coming back to me........cheers Steve G

Ive been lost, daxed & confused in every corner of London!

Would that be the same Steve G - ex publisher of Black Beat fanzine.

Met you around that time - lates 70s! I DJ'd at ur all-dayer in Kent (Tumbridge Wells?)

Thanks. I'm doing fine.

I have read numerous published articles from your self over the years.  Its always good when one of your old mates makes it to the top. :D

Myself I've been happy to bump along the bottom :P

Are you still in contact with Kev?

link

Thanks for those kind words - lost contact with Kev, last I heard he was a chef in Mayfield (Sussex), and my ex missus saw his mum a few years ago in Tonbridge, and he was ok then, but that's it. Most of the rest of the Kent crowd are still in tact though, and make cameo appearances at weekenders / London events from time to time. Good to hear you are well and still around. rolleyes.gif

Guest AudraT

Would love to see some of you folks there on the 29th - help us make it regular as we only have the first 2 written in blood. Venue's not bad at all and NO we won't be showing films from the sex shops opposite.

Andy

link

Hi

Great to see a new Saturday night in Walthamstow - Martin and I will be there on the 29th.

Mike mentioned our night at the Soul Bar earlier. Here are the details - hope that some of you can make it along on Monday 17th January.

The Soul Bar is only 2 mins walk from Walthamstow Central tune station

(Queens Rd exit), you can drop in on the 3rd Monday to hear a spectrum

of 60's & 70's soul (60's RnB, Northern Soul, CrossOver, plus the

classics).....

Stow-A-Way Soul

Venue: The Soul. 300 Hoe St Walthamstow, London E17 (Victoria line)

next Date: Monday 17 January, 2005

Time: 8pm til 11pm

No cover charge (free!) but No dance floor

DJ's: Alice / Audra / Maria

For more info, contact: audra_cruickshank@hotmail.com

This is a play list from our November night:

Hand It Over - Chuck Jackson (Wand) / You're No Good - Betty Everett

(Stateside) / Stop Hurting Me Baby - Purple Mundi (Cat) / Stop And Get

A Hold Of Myself - Gladys Knight & The Pips (Maxx) / Burnt Toast and

Black Coffee - Mike Pedicin (Federal) / Girl I've Been Trying To Tell

You - the Ultimates (Br-roma) / I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face

- Justine Washington (Sue) / Another Man - Maxine Davis (Guyden) /

Brain Storm - Sweet Geraldine (Magic City) / I'll Find You - Valerie

And Nick (Glover) / Who Knows - Marion Black (Avco Embassy) / I'm Not Responsible - Alex Brown (Sundi) / California Soul - Marlena Shaw

(Cadet) / The Chaperone - LaBrenda Ben and the Beljeans (Gordy) / The Look On Your Face - James Phelps (Apache) / Am I The Same Girl -

Barbara Acklin (Brunswick) / They Say You Found A New Baby - Susan Rewis (Columbia) / Baby, Set Me Free - The Informers (Blackjack) /You're Falling In Love - Liz Damons Orient Express (White Whale) / The Work Song - Tommy Hunt (Scepter) / Ball of Fire - Connie Austin (King) / Keep Him - Barbara Mason (Arctic) / Let's Start A Romance - Little Joe Hinton (Arvee) / It's Our Day - Earth Child (Marjon) / (I'm A Fool) I Must Love You - Falcons (Big Wheel) / Wild Child - Donnie Elbert (DeLuxe) / Try - Eula Cooper (Tragar) / Keep Me In Suspense - Mary Wells (Atco) / Big City Walk - Doug Powell (Mercury) / Quiet Home - Sea Shells (Villige) / Bing Bong - The Determinations (King) / Baby Please Don't Go - Jo Ann Henderson (Phonograph) / I Really Hope You Do - The Sophisticates (Underground Sound) / I Need To Be Needed - Steve Mancha (Groovesville) / Johnny Lee - Faye Adams (Imperial) / She's Gone - The Hamilton Movement (Look-Out) / Wait Until I Get To Know You - The Admirations (Onederful) / Little Girl - Sugar Boy Williams (Herald) /Don't You Worry Baby The Best Is Yet To Come - Bessie Banks (Quality) /Please Sunrise Please - Barbara Acklin (Brunswick) / I Gotta Run Now - Bobby Scott (Mercury) / Woman - The Nicky Newarkers (Mercury) / Hoochi

Koochi - Dora Hall (Premere)

• 3 years later...

Hi there, you mention Sean Adams in your message. I don't suppose that you know where he is these days? I really liked Sean and he seemed to drop off the map for a while so I have not seen him since Skegness Weekended a few years back ( I think) he was off his face running around and just being Sean. Any info would be much appreciated if anyonr out there knows anything. Cheers Benzer

• 1 year later...

Eddie Piller of Acid Jazz used to have a big hand in running these.

The 1st Ilford Palais was run by a fella called Andy Ruw. He also ran a few "mod" clubs back then in 80/81. Basically they were awful unless you liked a diet of The Monkees and Insy weeny bikini.

So four of us decided to do it ourselves.. Me (mappy) Eddie Piller, Dean Port and Ray (patriotic) Margetson. We did 3 or so Alldayers and also started a few club nights off. One being the Regency Suite in Chadwell Heath. If your on Facebook check out my group for photos and flyers from the time

I'm pretty sure Tony Class never did an alldayer in Ilford although i was out of the scene by 84

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=561...friends/?ref=tn