What't The Best £10 You've Spent On Soul Music?

Just been listening to the Johnny Moore CD on Grapevine and it get's better every time I hear it. I wasn't familiiar with most of the tracks on the CD before I bought it, but it's quality all the way through, worth a tenner of anybody's money. Got me thinking, what's the best tenner you've spent on soul music?

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bogue

Just been listening to the Johnny Moore CD on Grapevine and it get's better every time I hear it. I wasn't familiiar with most of the tracks on the CD before I bought it, but it's quality all the way through, worth a tenner of anybody's money. Got me thinking, what's the best tenner you've spent on soul music?

Dave

Although i love collecting vinyl, i think i would probably plump for a CD too Dave, this beauty

post-5566-1174435097_thumb.jpg

The finest Nsoul album ever (imho) is just a joy to listen to in stereo with not a hint of needle noise between tracks.

Not sure if they remastered it or not ? but the clarity does seem terrific on the CD

Social source share

soul source test

Guest Bogue

any ideas where i could get a copy? amazon?

I think that's where i got mine Matt ? but you would be better off looking on 'Amazon.com' & not 'Amazon.co.uk'

The Amazon stores are the best too, one called Caiman or something rings a bell but it was about 3 years back i got it, i'll see if i can find out .

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Dave

Well that's a bit of a difficult question, 'cos a tenner in 1970 would get'cha TWO copies of "At The Discotheque" on UK Cameo Parkway maybe - or 20 new UK 45s, however in 1977 you could have bought a copy of Stevens & Foster AND a Beloyd and got £8.40 in change which you could have spent on a posh meal at the Bernie Inn with a Gaelic Coffee an' everything...! :hypo:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Well that's a bit of a difficult question, 'cos a tenner in 1970 would get'cha TWO copies of "At The Discotheque" on UK Cameo Parkway maybe - or 20 new UK 45s, however in 1977 you could have bought a copy of Stevens & Foster AND a Beloyd and got £8.40 in change which you could have spent on a posh meal at the Bernie Inn with a Gaelic Coffee an' everything...! :lol:

I guess you are right there Mel, even a youngster like me :hypo: can remember a pint for 40p, wouldn't even get you a dash in a pint now !

Got the impression he meant in the now or recently.

Social source share

On relative recent times (i.e mid 80's) Bernard Smith on Spectrum and Masterpiece _ Love Affair, both tips by the Whitmores! Should listen to their tips a bit earlier these days shouldnt I !!

If you raise it to £20 then could really break my heart!!

Social source share

When I returned I bought loads of CDs mostly of all the old records that I recalled from the 70s but when I got the Stafford Story CD I knew that there was much more to the scene than I thought so my best £10 was that CD...

M

Social source share

BACK IN THE DAY IE LATE 7TS UP TO LATE EIGHTIES [GREAT COLLECTING PERIOD,GOT THE FOLLOWING FOR A TENNER- RAY AND DAVE ON MICA,RINGLEADERS AT WIGAN FROM KEITH MINSULL PAID LESS THAN ATENNER AS THE FLIP SIDE WAS IFFY [bABY WHAT HAS]THE FAb APOLLOS -ONE ALONE AT DARLINGTON NIGHTER IN 1982 FOR ABOUT 8 quid,Would have to say these are the best bargains.Gonna be an interesting thread this :hypo:

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Best tenner I spent was on TAVASCO - LOVE IS TRYING TO GET A HOLD ON ME - RAMPART .....just before Xmas 2006, not cos its a fine tune, cos I sold it on ebay for.........a 3 figure sum :wicked:

I spent the money wisely on Bobby Kline though :lol:

Social source share

If it's vlaue then we can probably all come up with a "bought it for a tenner 20 years ago and now its £££££".

If its a consistant £10 of quality the i would have to go for June Conquest Almost Persuaded, it was a tenner back then and its a tenner now.

And if its a tenner now it would be for either of the previously unreleased September Jones tracks that I got from John M recently (it was £19 for a two disc set so less than a tenner each for two seriously good unissied tracks :lol: )

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Ty Karim you really made it good for me Senitor £10 Sandy Wynns ill give that to you simco £5 those were the days! 1977 But my wages were only £50 a week.i wish i still had those two and the rest i sold when i first got wed and kids on the way in 1985 :angry:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If its a consistant £10 of quality the i would have to go for June Conquest Almost Persuaded, it was a tenner back then and its a tenner now.

It was a seriously great tune back in the mid 80s, and is a seriously great tune today.

Not sold on the Laura Green (Cover up name) rambling at the start, but a great record none the less.

Social source share

A copy of "Mine Was Real" by Rozetta Johnson on Clintone in EX condition from a mate. I had a VG- copy a kind soulie had let me have for free and it was great to find one in almost perfect nick. My favourite tune of all time, classy production and soulful vocal.

Regards

Gordy

Social source share

2 copies (issue & demo) of Brown Sugar - The Game is Over for 16 dollars including postage after hearing Shifty play it at an unusual niter down the Old Kent Road in about 2002.

Kept the demo :thumbsup:

I would have said a 12" demo of Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love which cost me 7 Euros including postage from some dutch website, but someone nicked it one night at These Old Shoes ranting_1.gif

Social source share

most recently: considering the currency exchange: best £5 spent:

2 weeks ago, on ebay, SEALED over stock copy of Lifestyle's selftitled LP on MCA from '77 that includes 'trying to make it up to you' - best 7Ts LP I'v purchased in some time for that kind of $$ or rather ££!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Went thru the doors at my first Central 'niter , gave a bloke a tenner, gave me a little envelope...... :lol:

Ten pounds for an envelope seems a lot of money to me. I'm sure you can get a dozen for a lot less than that from the Post Office or W.H. Smith. Just a thought.... :D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Freddie Hughes - " just found out" Janus.....soul music doesn't sound any better than this.....

You're not far wrong there! I'll give you £12 for it! (£2 profit!!) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

In the Old Vic Wolverhampton 2 Sport Records Appreciations Ite better to cry and abstract reality the bloke said you should buy these i didnt but the next month they were still there £10 each glad i bought them then

How come when I go on about cheap stuff I got YEARS ago I get pulled up over it - but everyone gets away with the same? This ain't fair... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Right. My Mel Britt cost me £12. Now bugger off you lot! tongue.gif

Social source share

Probably "Oh My Darling" by Jackie Lee. Paid around £3 for it in 72 ish. Been a favourite of mine ever since. Always sounds fantastic, even now, but the price has never reflected its quality.

Bought Girl Across The Street in the same deal for a fiver.

Happy days indeed!

Social source share

I've bought stuff, as I'm sure we all have, that has really rocketed in value over the last 25 years or so. I remember getting things like Jan Jones King Tutt and ZZ & Company for a tenner each at Leicester Oddfellows and thinking I was paying £2 or £3 over the odds. However ignoring items that have really appreciated in value here are three that cost £5 each and mean a great deal to me regardless of how much they go for today.

Leon Bryant Finders Keepers De -lite (Still goes for £5 )

Clyde McPhatter Why can't we get together Decca ( Probably £10 today)

Dee Dee Warwick When love slips away Mercury ( Probably £25 to £30 today)

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

This is a real easy one for me - Eddie and Ernie - Lost Friends CD on Kent

Both Artco releases, Eastern, Columbia, Revue, Phoenix Express version of Jacqueline Jones's Sunny Day, and the unissued Audio Recorders stuff and more - Fantastic heartfelt soul music, and all for under a tenner :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not a tenner really, more like 25, but I've just received 200 7" polylined paper sleeves from Bags unlimited and can I just say what a pleasure it was to take my mint demo of The Arabians from its paper sleeve with folded over edges and slip it into a poly lined one. :D A plus is that they also fit neatly into white cardboard sleeves.

Thanks to whoever told us all off for not using poly lined sleeves.

Only 199 to go :D:thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!