Pete S

• Replies 56
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

saw this the other day Pete. Brooklyn-born had 5 plus more. Another seller I think Mike*sue had 10 copies.

Shane

link

Shane,

If you mean Mark*Sue they no doubt had a high price on them. You should see the reserves they put on stuff on soulbid. I doubt if they ever sell anything. And a lot of it is cheapies anyway.

Steve

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

That vinyl is just SO shiny you could have a shave in the reflection. How do they keep records that are nearly 40 years old in such brilliant condition?  biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif

link

A box of these turned up in the same find as the Frank Wilson 50 count find. On the East coast. :thumbsup:

Social source share

So this is the Ohio Players version then, yes?

link

Yes it is but their were 2 different versions by the Ohio Players.

The One cut for the TRIP Lp and a very are test press cut for Compass label in the 60s.

As for Brooklyn -Born I had some heated email exchanges with him some months ago re Frederick Hymes & Royal Esquires. If my memory serves me right he said they were licensed presses from the original label owner and that he made a flippant comment about which dealers in the UK he was supplying.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

yes mate.

check out brooklyn-born for a sound clip.

Shane

link

Still the best version of that song, IMO by quite a long way!

But is it better to play it off CD, the crappy 12" pressing, a bootleg of the CD on a DIY dub plate or a Brooklin-Born vinyl pressing? Or should that question be phrased as "can one ever understand the weird and wonderfull world of northern soul?" :thumbsup:

It would be a shame if vinyl snobbery got in the way of this version getting the spins it deserves. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

:lol:   :D   wicked.gif   wicked.gif

:thumbsup:   :wicked:   :shades:   :lol:

link

thats nowt was at the pub last night and had a few lagers,

came home and fell asleep.woke up about 2.30 and went to bed

but dropped my change down the sofa.

so this morning was putting my hand down the back of the

sofa and unearthed

50 copies in a box of the butlers with frankie beverly

because of my heart ...on rouser how luckys that then

pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Still the best version of that song, IMO by quite a long way!

But is it better to play it off CD, the crappy 12" pressing, a bootleg of the CD on a DIY dub plate or a Brooklin-Born vinyl pressing? Or should that question be phrased as "can one ever understand the weird and wonderfull world of northern soul?" :thumbsup:

It would be a shame if vinyl snobbery got in the way of this version getting the spins it deserves. biggrin.gif

link

Its a fantastic record JT !

Shane

Social source share

thats nowt was at the pub last night and had a few lagers,

came home and fell asleep.woke up about 2.30 and went to bed

but dropped my change down the sofa.

so this morning was putting my hand down the back of the

sofa and unearthed

50 copies in a box of the butlers with frankie beverly

because of my heart ...on rouser how luckys that then

pete  :thumbsup:

link

Pete,

I bet someone PM's you to buy a copy ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

As for Brooklyn -Born I had some heated email exchanges with him some months ago re Frederick Hymes & Royal Esquires. If my memory serves me right he said they were licensed presses from the original label owner and that he made a flippant comment about which dealers in the UK he was supplying.

link

I'd be interested to see that email. I'm sure someone on this site contacted him and he stated that he bought the remaining stock of Fab Vegas and Prix.

Did he definately tell you they were re-presses????

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

a lot of them going around,a lad at the Ritz had a wad of them, no FWs though,they're going to be ready next week...oops wink.gif

link

There's a copy of the Ringleaders - Baby What Happened (white demo)on UK ebay ending today. The seller states it an original, looks like a reissue to mean, the font looks way too modern!

Social source share

There's a copy of the Ringleaders - Baby What Happened (white demo)on UK ebay ending today.  The seller states it an original, looks like a reissue to mean, the font looks way too modern!

link

Agreed Tim.

I thought it looked too similar to the "All of My Life" boots that we discussed a few weeks ago.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Does that mean you'll be buying and playing a copy then James? :P

link

Already got it on MP3, CD + mini disc. Been meanign to press it up onto dub for a while, can never be arsed to cue up down the pressing place though with all the garage and jungle DJs. Might not need to now. wink.gif

Social source share

Must still think we're all mugs wink.gif ....

Regarding same seller.... can't help wondering how many more of these will be for sale in the "usual" M- condition....

SEE HERE

link

Another Linda Griner demo up for sale on Ebay Mark.

Social source share

Another Linda Griner demo up for sale on Ebay Mark.

link

This is being sold by soulgaloreuk. Will be no problem with that one. Paul is a good guy and has plenty of records of that calibre for sale on a regular basis.

I have had quite a few things off him. Should have looked properly at the sellers details on Ebay.

Hope I haven't caused any offence. wink.gif

Social source share

would be interested to see one of the Royal Esquires that has "turned up"- I have an original pre-find copy- it may be interesting to see what is in the run out groove

link

I've already done this John, they were both identical, just a case of the record turning up in quantity.

Ady.

Social source share

The same sellers also listed a couple of mint copies of the Servicemen - Chartmaker, Dad. Plus both of the Big Ascots... and others.

SELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sell upppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

sad.gif

Social source share

Unlike this "oddball Northern Soul Two Sider" from last week of course sad.gif

Same seller - same price -  last week.

Godz

link

==========

ive always liked this version and have bought a copy

mr searling had quite a few version to choose from from 79-81 didnt he

gee the 45's that have passed that mans hands...

Social source share

Have had one of these spanky new boot's through this morning:

The Ohio Players - Stop Lying To Yourself / Lonely Street - Jo-Mar

OK just to play to my little old self in the house.

Doesn't say anything on the ad on eBay about them being boot's which is naughty but then... a record that supposedly so old aint gonna be so new looking really is it?

Jodie

Social source share

The same sellers also listed a couple of mint copies of the Servicemen - Chartmaker, Dad. Plus both of the Big Ascots... and others.

sad.gif

link

Yeah. Funny how a quick "look in" at Brooklyn Born's page can result into a quick dash to the toilet!!!

Any how Tommy, you should be out & about record hunting, not spending time on here. Get back down into that picturesque Compton, its good there. Had any more Transvestites pull a gun on you?? Oh, the joy of record hunting in L.A. Most record hunters go out with a portable player, you go out with a bullet proof vest. Be careful, see you in 2 weeks. Dad.

Social source share

:P

link

rolleyes.gif There are still lot's of original quality soul records out there, It doesn't take a genius to work out whats real and what's not. If it seems to good to be true, then its most likely is.

Nah worries.......

JM

Social source share

I've already done this John, they were both identical, just a case of the record turning up in quantity.

Ady.

link

I thought it had been put to bed too, Ady.

But Ernie Andrews comments that he had an email from said person in which he stated that they were 'legit represses'.

It was that that caught my attention.

Unfortunately Ernie has not backed up his comments!!

Jamie.

Social source share

Had any more Transvestites pull a gun on you??

No Mate! Last time i had a gun pulled out on me was when you were last over (believe it or not).

I'm going down South Central later, so i've only got a 50 /50 chance of seeing tonight... reminds me, better call Nina. :P

Don't worry. Ill find you some more soul records. Just keep finding me that Ska & Reggae :yes:

Cheers!

Social source share

Had any more Transvestites pull a gun on you??

No Mate! Last time i had a gun pulled out on me was when you were last over (believe it or not).

I'm going down South Central later, so i've only got a 50 /50 chance of seeing tonight... reminds me, better call Nina. :P

Don't worry. Ill find you some more soul records. Just keep finding me that Ska & Reggae  :yes:

Cheers!

link

Ska & reggae for soul 45's?? Kinnell, what you after, I've got hundreds...

Social source share

Ska & reggae for soul 45's??  Kinnell, what you after, I've got hundreds...

link

Pete!!! Lets deal!!!

I need a copy of the following:

Sir Collins - Black Panther - Duke

Alton Ellis - Mouth a massy

Joe The Boss - Skinheads Revolt - Joe

Prince Buster - Rock & Shake - Fab

Joe White - Im so proud - Blue Cat

" " - Pretty little girl - Blue Cat

Sensations - I'll never fall in love - Duke

Paragons - Left with a broken heart - Duke

See what you can do mate.

Tommy.

Social source share

Pete!!! Lets deal!!!

I need a copy of the following:

Sir Collins - Black Panther - Duke

Alton Ellis - Mouth a massy

Joe The Boss - Skinheads Revolt - Joe

Prince Buster - Rock & Shake - Fab

Joe White - Im so proud - Blue Cat

"          " - Pretty little girl - Blue Cat

Sensations - I'll never fall in love - Duke

Paragons - Left with a broken heart - Duke

See what you can do mate.

Tommy.

link

I've got the Joe White but you realise what's on the other side of it???

It'd kill me...I may have to start cutting my own reggae 45's!

Anyway, as for the rest, I sold Skinhead Revolt for some ridiculous price about a year ago, I think I've got the sensations, I'll get back to you ok

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

I'd be interested to see that email. I'm sure someone on this site contacted him and he stated that he bought the remaining stock of Fab Vegas and Prix.

Did he definately tell you they were re-presses????

Cheers,

Jamie

link

I contacted him and questioned him about the validity of The Royal Esquires and Frederick Hymes The prix stuff he said he bought directly from the owner to be honest he has a lot of Prix stuff for sale thats not worth pressing so that might be kosha He also said that the Fab Vegas stuff he got directly form the owner Both times he wouldn't reveal the quantities but he said there wasn't a lot I then asked him about the potential for "copying" this stuff He said the task is practically impossible not only do you have to have acess to the masters and they have to be in the right condition but the right type of vinyl and the right type of paper He said the type of paper they used in the 6t's has not been available for a long time it was found to have toxic problems He then said he will make avialable custom presings of choons that "northern" collectors know are repro's things like the Ringleaders All Of My Life (which to be honest i have no problem with for the simple reason it's never been released therefor totally un acesible Isnt it a 1 off acetate) Obviously he probably figures that if we are worth our salt we should know that Towanda Barnes/Ohio Players is really only available on the Trip album Although someone mentioned on Soultalk (might have been Chalkie) that the O Players did cut love slipped on a Compass acetate. Which makes sense when you think about it "cos Searling never played Love Slipped from an Lp it was a c/u 45

DJ

Social source share

Shall we rename this site REGGAE SOURCE.

I bet there's loads of 'Closet' Reggae collectors on here. Come on, lets be having yer, who wants to come out of the CLOSET!!  :thumbsup:

Pottsy.

link

ive got a copy of tony and howie fun it up on uk banana in ex condition may trade if right offer came along

pm me if interested

Social source share

ive got a copy of tony and howie fun it up on uk banana in ex condition may trade if right offer came along

pm me if interested

link

Why what is that? I had that, sold it on Ebay about a year ago for f*** all, £12 or something - what am I missing here?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!