soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny Mack

Strangely, I received a copy of this record in the mail yesterday. I've had it on a wants list for a while and had also been looking for one at the right price.

It sure is blue eyed soul, but with pedigree. The Masters were from Philly and were John Oates band during his time at Temple University. This record just pre-dates his first meeting with Darryl Hall who was at the same University and heading up The Temptones who recorded on Arctic. The two later teamed up and auditioned for Arif Mardin and had a string of blue eyed soul hits for Atlantic as Hall and Oates !

Full of useless information........................... :yes:

Social source share

Strangely, I received a copy of this record in the mail yesterday. I've had it on a wants list for a while and had also been looking for one at the right price.

It sure is blue eyed soul, but with pedigree. The Masters were from Philly and were John Oates band during his time at Temple University. This record just pre-dates his first meeting with Darryl Hall who was at the same University and heading up The Temptones who recorded on Arctic. The two later teamed up and auditioned for Arif Mardin and had a string of blue eyed soul hits for Atlantic as Hall and Oates !

Full of useless information........................... :yes:

Thanks for that info. Not useless at all, interesting facts. I read on an album sleeve (Northern Soul Story 7) that John Oates was a band member, also suggests that the band were of mixed race so I guess not 100% blue eyed soul then! It's a great little tune aint it. Love these kinda tunes, especially when there's a 'fame' connection.

Like you, i'm looking for one at the right price (whatever that is).

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Full of useless information........................... :unsure:

I thought I read they met at a 'Battle of the Bands' ddin't realise they were at the same university - not so useless after all

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Just to fill in the gaps alittle:

Darryl Hall & John Oates were under the guidance of John Madara & David White after they left Jimmy Bishop's - Arctic.

in 1969 Darryl Hall & the Cellar Door had a release on Amy,

Jubilee - as The Excutive Suite a nice sweet soul harmony ballad called "Christine", also had releases on Vanguard group name escapes me at the mo'.

John Madara did many unissed tracks with Darryl Hall which included "Girl Don't Make Me Wait" about 2years after Bunny Sigler had recorded it.

This was all before they went to Atlantic, but on Atlantic they only had slight success, compared to the huge sales they racked up when they signed to RCA.

I know John was not happy losing them to a major. He rated the duo as "Ultra-talented"

Edited by john manship
Social source share

He rated the duo as "Ultra-talented"

And how right he was. :unsure: Their self titled "silver album" is superb pretty much from beginning to end ("Camellia", "Alone Too Long", "Sara Smile" etc.). And the enitre A-side on their Atlantic LP "Abandoned Luncheonette" is about as good as blue eyed soul gets ("She's Gone", "When The Morning Comes", "Had I Known You Better Then" etc.). Their later RCA stuff is also superb. All taken into consideration, and despite their huge record sales, they're still probably one of the most underrated artists around. "Camellia" might very well be one of the best tunes ever recorded in my opinion. :shades:

Social source share