Kristy Released And Yet Such Poor Quality

PhilipWard

I recently bought the Kristy 7" 'Giving you love' / 'Want to know more' in mint condition.

I was horrified to discover the pressing was extremely poor. (Listen to attached mp3 sample)

Can anyone help clarify if this 7" was officially released on Love Music 2000 LM45-1 Limited Edition? This is the information on my 7". (Photo attached)

The 7" says "Mastered at Kerkedine Music Inc". I would be intrigued to learn how they remastered this track, because if my 7" is official, the sound is heavily compressed and sounds so poor. On the fade out sound diminshes to a very compressed level almost like it was used incorrectly on some cheap computer software and not professional equipment.

This is a wonderful modern soul double sider and if anyone can stir me in the direction of those that contain the master tapes to Kristy, i would like to do the job right and remaster the sound correctly. This track should be re-released and sounding so much better than my pressing.

Many soul collectors and traders probably own this 7". Can you take a good listen to yours thru your headphones and tell me if the sound is good, with clarity to the strings and vocals please? Maybe i got unlucky with a dodgy 7", but i feel whoever is responsible for releasing this has really done Kristy a huge injustice if all the 7"s were mastered and then pressed to this quality.

I also heard or read somewhere a while a go that Kristy recorded an album. If this is true, can someone update me on this please. If you are someone associated with Kerkedine Music Inc and happen to contain the master tapes to her album and a pending release is in the pipeline, please PM me to allow me the opportunity to remaster the sound. This service will be free. This kinda soul music takes me to heaven and back! :unsure:

Thanks.

Phil.

post-8088-1174710477_thumb.jpg

Kristy___giving_you_love___Want_to_know_more.mp3

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I recently bought the Kristy 7" 'Giving you love' / 'Want to know more' in mint condition.

I was horrified to discover the pressing was extremely poor. (Listen to attached mp3 sample)

Can anyone help clarify if this 7" was officially released on Love Music 2000 LM45-1 Limited Edition? This is the information on my 7". (Photo attached)

The 7" says "Mastered at Kerkedine Music Inc". I would be intrigued to learn how they remastered this track, because if my 7" is official, the sound is heavily compressed and sounds so poor. On the fade out sound diminshes to a very compressed level almost like it was used incorrectly on some cheap computer software and not professional equipment.

This is a wonderful modern soul double sider and if anyone can stir me in the direction of those that contain the master tapes to Kristy, i would like to do the job right and remaster the sound correctly. This track should be re-released and sounding so much better than my pressing.

Many soul collectors and traders probably own this 7". Can you take a good listen to yours thru your headphones and tell me if the sound is good, with clarity to the strings and vocals please? Maybe i got unlucky with a dodgy 7", but i feel whoever is responsible for releasing this has really done Kristy a huge injustice if all the 7"s were mastered and then pressed to this quality.

I also heard or read somewhere a while a go that Kristy recorded an album. If this is true, can someone update me on this please. If you are someone associated with Kerkedine Music Inc and happen to contain the master tapes to her album and a pending release is in the pipeline, please PM me to allow me the opportunity to remaster the sound. This service will be free. This kinda soul music takes me to heaven and back! :unsure:

Thanks.

Phil.

Hi Phil

ALL copies of this, even the handful of initial demos were of poor sound quality, apparently due to the fact the recording was taken from a demo tape rather than a master.

It's always, IMHO, held this record back from being played out more and giving it the exposure it deserves.

You are right about an album. I spoken to someone who may be able to take this further for/with you.....

ATB

BazM

Social source share

Okay, thanks for the info guys.

Saves me trying to track down another 7", especially as most have prpbably dried up now as it took me a while just to find my copy.

Maybe they should get all the original musicians back together and just repeat what they did 20 or so years ago?

The 70s was such an amazing time for music. Shame the world's technology was not quite as advanced as the music creation skills of the time.

Still, i'd welcome the album release, even if the master copies were less than perfect. :unsure:

Social source share

Okay, thanks for the info guys.

Saves me trying to track down another 7", especially as most have prpbably dried up now as it took me a while just to find my copy.

Maybe they should get all the original musicians back together and just repeat what they did 20 or so years ago?

The 70s was such an amazing time for music. Shame the world's technology was not quite as advanced as the music creation skills of the time.

Still, i'd welcome the album release, even if the master copies were less than perfect. :thumbsup:

My copy's the same Phil. I think Steve Plumb would be the man to tell you the story behind this 45 as he was the person selling them originally I think.

Jordi

Social source share

The Kristy 45 saga

The quality is poor because it came directly from Kristy herself via an old mid-70's cassette copy of her unreleased LP!!!!

I agree that we didn't do anything like as good a job on re-mastering as we possibly could have done (even way back in 2000!). Today though, i bet it could be done far easier and cheaper than it would have done way back when!

We made 300 copies of the 45 with a view to selling them quickly to justify (and to afford) to release the full LP! In actual fact we gave away about 20 copies as demos and there were about 50 faulty 45's in there, so there's less than 250 around (although i think i have a handful left, buried deep in my garage somewhere!). I paid for the license/manufacture of the 45's in the US and i also paid Kristy upfront for all 300 copies!

Unfortunately, probably due to the quality (although i think there may have been other 'on the scene' factors) they didn't sell half as quick as we wanted them too to justify the LP release, so it never happened :thumbsup:

I've always said that one day BOTH sides would be monsters on the Northern AND Modern scenes because they are imho two of the very best records ever made!!!! The LP is also fantastic with 9 brilliant tracks that i described at the time as being as good as the unreleased Sandra Wright LP!

I do actually have the original CD that was made directly from the cassette and it's fidelity is way better than the 45, so i guess something 'could' be done with it?

The problem is, before i could do any remastering i'd have to get back in touch with Kristy, who i'm sure will be as pi**ed as i was that we couldn't make it happen the first time around, so what chance would we have of getting the success i originally promised her, the second time around????

However, i really would still love to see the full LP released one day...........

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Steve and thanks for the background info to the Kristy release.

It's a real shame it didn't get the full exposure it deserved back in the day, but i have an idea,

If at first you don't succeed, try again! Only this time make it a purchase all soul lovers will want to own.

If you possess the original CD of the album, i believe that maybe Kristy could take a new direction with the release of her album.

CdBaby.com is without a shadow of doubt a great means of exposing her album via a CD release. It would be an easier and cheaper method for her to sell her CDs. I would even be interested in having a go at artwork and a CD design. Maybe even produce the CDs initially to launch Kirsty into the soul scene.

Big exposure on Ebay would also be good too with audio clips in high quality of the tracks.

Soul DJ's all over the UK could play their part by radio and club/bar exposure. I believe the internet is far more accesible than ever and even offering her album for download via itunes, etc is also a good move.

No doubt, all who purchased the 7" first time round would love the CD album.

The remastering of her master CD or tapes i would gladly do for free. High qualtiy soul music is something i can willingly devote my time to perfecting competely free of charge. The satisfaction from listening to the finished results makes it all worthwhile.

Music of this calibre deserves the full respect and exposure it should've had in the first place.

Steve, PM me your contact email, etc. I'll send you examples of my remastered work. Let's see if we can give Kristy the maximum respect she deserves. If those two wonderful tracks on her 7" are anything to go by, i'm sure the album is an excellent and essential purchase.

Naturally, should any remastering occur, the whole project will be sworn to protection and returned only to yourself. I'll happily sign any legal document etc if i am trusted with attempting to perfect the sound. Should others want the tracks, they'll have to wait to purchase the officially released CD.

Let's make this happen Steve. Do what you gotta do with Kristy and let's see if we can bring her amazing music to the masses. If Kristy is reluctant to do anything because of the lack of success first time round, let's at the very least send her the album in excellent quality. That alone, should motivate her to try again. I'm sure she'd love to hear her album in CD quality!

Phil.

Social source share

Steve, PM me your contact email, etc. I'll send you examples of my remastered work. Let's see if we can give Kristy the maximum respect she deserves. If those two wonderful tracks on her 7" are anything to go by, i'm sure the album is an excellent and essential purchase.

Naturally, should any remastering occur, the whole project will be sworn to protection and returned only to yourself. I'll happily sign any legal document etc if i am trusted with attempting to perfect the sound. Should others want the tracks, they'll have to wait to purchase the officially released CD.

Phil.

Hey Phil good to see a new soul sourcer! Welcome aboard! Are you soul source member 'Rare Gems's' "Uncle Phil"? He speaks very highly of your work!

Steve

Social source share

Alan (Rare gems of soul) is a good friend who sends me records to remaster. I guess it's a compliment if he refers to me as uncle Phil.

Has he been mentioning i remaster music again? He's gonna turn me into a zombie if he gets more people sending me projects.

I'll have to quietly remind him that the more work i have to do, the longer it will take to get his records remastered. That ought to put the fear of God into him. ohmy.gif HeHe! :wicked:

Social source share