Best Unknown In Your Box Today

Guest enchantedrythm

Guest enchantedrythm

WHAT UNKNOWN POSSIBLE FUTURE PLAYS LAY IN YOUR BOX?

HAVE YOU A GEM OF THE FUTURE GATHERING DUST?

ATTACHMENTS PLEASE

LETS VOTE. :Prolleyes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well I've been a champion of this tune for more years than I can remember and I've never heard it out or understood why it never flew:

Cliffard Curry - East, West, North or South - Elf

Is it too common? Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Well I've been a champion of this tune for more years than I can remember and I've never heard it out or understood why it never flew:

link

I've got one

Jodie

Social source share

link

I seam to know this record isnt a 60s pop hit by some one

Social source share

link

Great tune, Dayo! Is this Clifford Curry as in 'She shot a hole in my soul'?

Which harmony group was he a member of?

Social source share

How about this? I don't know if anyone else knows this. With all the rave over The 5 Royales, this would sit perfectly next to it. As for Clifford Curry, I've been spinning my copy for at least a year now. Never gets old!

The Four Rivers-I Confess JOSIE W/D

Social source share

For the crossover/modern folks - Noah on Candy-Stix seems to me like a potensial "future monster".

All credit to Mr. Andy Dyson on this one. One to watch. Just wait until Soul Sam picks up a copy :dance:

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

Here's one that's been shaking Monster Island lately.

There's a Barry White and a Jimmy Radcliffe connection too :thumbsup:

see what you reckon,

Godz :shades:

link

Great tune innit, I've got the LP - "Soul" and "Gonna Find A Cave" are pretty good too...but then again, I'm probably biased being a fan of the Hanna-Barbera oeuvre :P

Social source share

For the crossover/modern folks - Noah on Candy-Stix seems to me like a potensial "future monster".

All credit to Mr. Andy Dyson on this one. One to watch. Just wait until Soul Sam picks up a copy  :dance:

Cheers,

Christian B

link

Certainly got something and like you say one to watch :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great tune innit, I've got the LP - "Soul" and "Gonna Find A Cave" are pretty good too...but then again, I'm probably biased being a fan of the Hanna-Barbera oeuvre  :P

link

A pal of mine had the Banana Splits LP, which is where I got the J. Radcliffe / B. White info from - and Chalky's right, Carl Spencer is one of the writers too.

I found a bunch ( :shades: ) of EPs with the album spread across them, in some nice cartoon sleeves.

If I was feeling wicked I could bring the black/white - soul/not soul debate in here.

Which is most soulful:

Jimmy Radcliffe doing the "Banana Split" or Doni Burdick singing "I Have Faith in You"?

:thumbsup: Godz

Social source share

Guest rachel

Gotta be Betty Logan- "A lot to learn"-Gaye. uptempo, old school female dancer.Only know of one other copy.

link

Good tune Trev, like it... :thumbsup:

Social source share

A pal of mine had the Banana Splits LP, which is where I got the J. Radcliffe / B. White info from - and Chalky's right, Carl Spencer is one of the writers too.

I found a bunch ( :P ) of EPs with the album spread across them, in some nice cartoon sleeves.

If I was feeling wicked I could bring the black/white - soul/not soul debate in here.

Which is most soulful:

Jimmy Radcliffe doing the "Banana Split" or Doni Burdick singing "I Have Faith in You"?

:shades:   Godz

link

the album is superb godzilla ....and i have to say i've played both the barry white written "doin the banana split " and the jimmy radcliffe written " soul" out in my sets ...the dancers love them but the chin-stroking anoraks maybe have a little problem with them :thumbsup:

in fact my avatar was me holding the album while i was playing it in glasgow

Social source share

How about this? I don't know if anyone else knows this. With all the rave over The 5 Royales, this would sit perfectly next to it. As for Clifford Curry, I've been spinning my copy for at least a year now. Never gets old!

link

Cor, been playing the Clifford Curry in my DJ spots since I started I always thought it was a underplayed oldie?

Like this Four Rivers but not sure about the 5 Royales connection?

Have got a 5 Royales record called "Take Me With You Baby" every bit as infuriatingly annoying as the last one, absolutely fantastic! (if you like that sort of thing.....and I do!!)

Had both of them at one point!

Sorry I can't do a sound bite but I haven't got round to buying a cable thingy yet

Jodie

Social source share

Guest stromberg

All credit to Mr. Andy Dyson on this one. One to watch. Just wait until Soul Sam picks up a copy  :dance:

Cheers,

Christian B

link

This one sounds really interesting, any chance of a soundfile?

best,

Stefan :lol:

Social source share

Wasn't there a Josie & The Pussycats track played on the scene around 1973. I think it was on Capitol?

link

Was it "It's all right with Me" on Capitol?

And wasn't Patrice Holloway lead singer on the records? I think Cheryl (Charlies Angels) Ladd was in the group too.

I have a few singles in printed Kellogs envelopes :lol:

Godz

Social source share

Cheers,

Christian B

link

Funny one this. I had a spare of Noah, which I initially tried to flog to said Soul Samuel, along with Oliver Christian when he was round my gaff a year or two back. His view was that "it wasn't quite right for him". Still, I agree this one will have it's day....one day.

Social source share

Funny one this. I had a spare of Noah, which I initially tried to flog to said Soul Samuel, along with Oliver Christian  when he was round my gaff a year or two back. His view was that "it wasn't quite right for him". Still, I agree this one will have it's day....one day.

link

This is really a kind of sound that needs to played LOUD to really be appriciated. We played this one at our last

Allnighter and it sounded BLOODY GOOD actually :lol:

I'm sure Soul Sam would have thought differently if you played it for him today. Perfect crossover/modern dancer with strong kinda off-key (Soul Bros Inc Pyramid-style) vocals. One to watch.

Cheers,

Christian B

Edited by cC B
Social source share

This is really a kind of sound that needs to played LOUD to really be appriciated. We played this one at our last

Allnighter and it sounded BLOODY GOOD actually  :lol:  

I'm sure Soul Sam would have thought differently if you played it for him today. Perfect crossover/modern dancer with strong kinda off-key (Soul Bros Inc Pyramid-style) vocals. One to watch.

Cheers,

Christian B

link

I was asking for a soundfile of this one some time ago, maybe you can help me? chrisherm74@yahoo.com is the address. It would be much appreciated.

Social source share

I was asking for a soundfile of this one some time ago, maybe you can help me? chrisherm74@yahoo.com is the address. It would be much appreciated.

link

Won't be able to supply one before I get out of this shitty hospital

I'm afraid. But you can hear it out again in January if you're coming

over as planned :lol:

Social source share

Just curious...How many unknowns can there be? I'm sure almost everthing has been played by someone, somewhere. Just trying to keep this thread alive so I can hear some new tunes...haha.

-Mike

Social source share

Just curious...How many unknowns can there be? I'm sure almost everthing has been played by someone, somewhere. Just trying to keep this thread alive so I can hear some new tunes...haha.

-Mike

link

Bennie Turner - Ching Ching Wong SKYMAC

Had this on one of those tapes where you were lucky enough to have a track listing with it and really liked it.Found it on a Times Square list about 2 years ago.Has anyone ever played it or is it thought to be a bit of a novelty thing? :no:

Stamford :yes:

Social source share

link

every man to his own mate , no way i reckon thats a record for a soul do, a mod night maybe.

Social source share

Ok, talking of tunes that you don't hear out - here's a few.

No p*ss taking now. I'm not saying that any of these are unknown. I don't get out to Soul Nights these days so they may well be played to death, cheap, derided as rubbish etc :yes: So, making no claims, just would like to know if any of this lot ever get played out.

Chuck Borris - You'll Wake Up Wiser - Enterprise

Collection and the Civics - I'll Be There - Soultrain

Crossfire - Take Me Back - Virtue

Keanya Collins - It Ain't No Secret - Blue Rock

David and the Giants - Super Good Feeling - Fame

Frank D'rone - -Think I Will - Cadet

Five Special - The More I Get To Know You - TEAL

Jimmy George - Aint It Something - Viva

Lovelites - When I Get Scared - Phi-Dan

Deans Lucas - Cry It Out Baby - Hill

Little Rock Brotherhood - Girl Watching On Broadway Avenue - Ref-O-Ree

Lenny O' Henry - Cheated Heart - ABC

Rainbows - It Wouldn't Be Right - Dave

Benny Troy and The Maze - I Don't Know You Anymore - 20th Century

Ella Washington - Bye Bye Baby - Octavia

Cheers,

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

fabbo catchy tune........would fit in most spots..........careful if seeing a demo on lists......they are usually double sided of the other side "scoobie doo" (average funk)

link

DJ story you never want anyone to know; I asked my mate once if he knew the Calvin Arnold track and he said no, so I done the usual thing "blah blah blah must hear it" and I told him i'd put it in my set.. Called him over.. this is it its great....and from the speakers came "scoobie do I love you" I was so embarresed.. them words haunt me still.. :fool:

Social source share

DJ story you never want anyone to know; I asked my mate once if he knew the Calvin Arnold track and he said no, so I done the usual thing "blah blah blah must hear it" and I told him i'd put it in my set.. Called him over.. this is it its great....and from the speakers came "scoobie do I love you" I was so embarresed.. them words haunt me still..  :fool:

link

Phil Lipari (alias Phil Parry) - I Came Up Singing (AM/PM) Obscure white (some say shite!!) but I'll keep the faith with it. Uptempo, big production that definitely has something :D

Social source share

Rainbows - It Wouldn't Be Right - Dave

Ella Washington - Bye Bye Baby - Octavia

Cheers,

Godz

link

The Rainbows used to get spins from Steve Smith around the original Bretby years.

Ella Washington had some spins at Stafford. Other side great deep soul. Came out on Atlantic too I think.

Social source share

The Rainbows used to get spins from Steve Smith around the original Bretby years.

Ella Washington had some spins at Stafford.  Other side great deep soul.  Came out on Atlantic too I think.

link

Yeah, got one on Atlantic first and just got the Octavia copy recently. As you say Grass is Greener is a fantastic deep cut. Thanks for that Chalky.

Anybody got views on the others?

Should have said that Wake up Wiser is same as Bettye Swann but I think Chuck Borris version tops it.

Godz

Social source share

For about a fiver (or less)!

Sweet Inspirations - Reach Out For Me - Atlantic - Wonderful, best version

Melba Moore - Let's Go Back To Loving - EMI 80's - Strings, heavy percussion - tight brass - Male vocal back up - Catchy chorus - yep I like it

Jimmy Justice - Burgundy, Port & Red Wine - B&C - About a guy hitting the bottle after the old lady has left - sound familiar?

SLIM

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Bennie Turner - Ching Ching Wong SKYMAC

Had this on one of those tapes where you were lucky enough to have a track listing with it and really liked it.Found it on a Times Square list about 2 years ago.Has anyone ever played it or is it thought to be a bit of a novelty thing? :D

Stamford  :D

link

Remember this one being spun reguarly down south some 15 or so years ago 100 club 'flash in the pan'.would be surprised if it wasnt played at Stafford.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!