Live Acts At A Niter......yes Or No?

Winnie :-)

Just been thinking about live acts at niters. Do you think they fit it do they spoil the night, or slow it down. I remember seeing the Dells a few years ago at Trentham, and as good as they were, when they'd finished, many people went home.

For me they interrupt a nighter, but I'm probably in the minority. Having said that Barbara Lynn at Fleetwood a few years ago was awesome!

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not at Nighters for me, nothing wrong with seing them live in there own gig, spoils the night for me. Worst i ever saw Wille Tee. Best Jr Walker Just amazing. :yes:

Social source share

Just been thinking about live acts at niters. Do you think they fit it do they spoil the night, or slow it down. I remember seeing the Dells a few years ago at Trentham, and as good as they were, when they'd finished, many people went home.

For me they interrupt a nighter, but I'm probably in the minority. Having said that Barbara Lynn at Fleetwood a few years ago was awesome!

link

Think you made the point in your post Winnie.... always left with a "flat" feeling at a niter.... cause like you say they can interupt the flow....

As in the case of BL and others at F'wood.... now that being a w/ender seems to work a whole lot better.... you've had a full on uninterupted niter on the Friday.... so Saturday and live acts works.... Sunday nite is then back to full on before home time :yes: ....

Social source share

I think this topic is on here from a while ago...I and a few others can´'t stand live stuff at all-niters,like you said it breaks up the flow...I have gone for a walk most of the time while they were on but lots of others really like to see live stuff and meet them etc....Do the live stuff bring enough extra people through the door to make a profit for promoters....I think the live stuff works better at big revival nights and weekenders...

Social source share

I agree with Winston too. Always broke the night up too much for me. Also, and I know many will declare a heretic fit only for burning at the stake, but I find most of the acts to be quite dull in the flesh. I like hearing the recordings rather than the live versions, on the whole. Mostly, I think it's the curiosity value that attracts. Often, when there's been a live act, I've got bored and wandered off to the record bar. Sorry, soul scene - just me I 'spose.

Social source share

Think you made the point in your post Winnie.... always left with a "flat" feeling at a niter.... cause like you say they can interupt the flow....

As in the case of BL and others at F'wood.... now that being a w/ender seems to work a whole lot better.... you've had a full on uninterupted niter on the Friday.... so Saturday and live acts works.... Sunday nite is then back to full on before home time :yes: ....

link

Good point Mark, I must say i've got so much respect and admiration for all the artists, and all the great songs they've given us over the years, However I have to say, I avoid live acts wherever possble, For me I would rather remember them as they were, like the pictures on thier record sleeves, no doubt some of them still have the voice, and sound great, but live acts at nighters......not for me thanks.

Weekenders Mmm, maybe to a point.

JM

Social source share

...I have gone for a walk most of the time while they were on .....

link

Hi Stevie, hows Barcelona mate....... I too tend to wander off when the acts are on, last year at Prestatyn, I ended up in the Modern room while they were performing. That's not to sound disrespectfull though. After all they gave us the music.

JM

Social source share

Good point Mark, I must say i've got so much respect and admiration for all the artists, and all the great songs they've given us over the years,    However I have to say, I avoid live acts wherever possble,  For me I would rather remember them as they were,  like the pictures on thier record sleeves, no doubt some of them still have the voice, and sound great, but live acts at nighters......not for me thanks. 

Weekenders Mmm, maybe to a point.

JM

link

I can understand the "remember them like they were" opinion.... but I've seen a few at Fleetwood and Prestatyn and regardless of age or appearance most were fcukin awesome :P .... if the "sound" is still there it don't matter to me....

Take Phil Perry at Prestatyn.... I was down the back of the hall on the "seating stand thingy".... couldn't really see him.... but when he broke into Hey You! Don't Fight It you'd have thought a DJ had just dropped The Montclairs on the decks :yes: ....

Social source share

I ended up in the Modern room while they were performing.  That's not to sound disrespectfull though. After all they gave us the music.

link

Got to agree. No live acts at nighters.

Live acts only work if they are singing current stuff as in main stream pop/rock.

It can be sad to see artists trying to sing songs they recorded up to 40 years ago and not hitting the notes.

Lets remember them as they were not as they are.

Social source share

Anyone who witnessed Linda & The Funky Boys at Wigan probably dislikes live acts as much as me - damaged me for life. Can't stand live acts at nighters, missed most at Wigan, went into the dreaded M's instead. Remember seeing a blistering performance from Jr Walker though.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Anyone who witnessed Linda & The Funky Boys at Wigan probably dislikes live acts as much as me - damaged me for life.  Can't stand live acts at nighters, missed most at Wigan, went into the dreaded M's instead.  Remember seeing a blistering performance from Jr Walker though.

link

Well popcorn Wylie at dunstable queens hall late 80s i think was brilliant marc bicknell djing as well.

Ray pollard at the 100 club,maxine brown at the 100 club,Doris troy at the 100 club and four tops and chuck jackson at great yarmouth in 90/91.

And of course sidney barnes at the capitol soul club.

All fantastic sets.

So mr Croasdell wheres lou johnson?

Alan H. :yes:

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

I guess it's a purely personal viewpoint, I'm in the love to see live acts at nighters, soul nights, w'enders bracket. True it can break the night up, (especially when you're in full flow!) ; ) but a quick swig of lucozade or red bull will get you back up there in no time! ; )

The beauty of most soul events now is that there are multiple rooms, which means you can go into another room if you don't wanna watch a live act...

These artistes also love to come and perform too, it's their second shot at stardom.

Adriana Evans on at Prestatyn! - This is someone I'm dying to see, made the album of 1997 in my mind and normally would probably have to trek down to the Jazz Cafe in London to see. Now I get the chance to see her live included in the entrance fee, plus other Northern artists too!! - Isn't life great!

PS. Ann Nesby - Prestatyn 2003 - Worth the entrance fee alone, she was on for an hour with full live band!

Thank you the Midnight Crew!!

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

If they are backed by a second rate cabaret band with a bontempi organ as they usually are then no thanks. Its a travesty and a pale imitation of the past.

Social source share

If they are backed by a second rate cabaret band with a bontempi organ as they usually are then no thanks.  Its a travesty and a pale imitation of the past.

link

This has usually been a major part of the problem, certainly in the past. I remember some dire performances in the 80s - the Ric Tic Revue @ Hinckley nearly fell apart for Al Kent until Edwin Starr jumped on stage and gave the backing band a good kick up the jacksy.... they were effing lousy. Edwin always gave good value though. I also remember Gene Chandler over-milking it doing Duke of Earl - rest of his show was good if I recall, but that bit made me shudder.

Social source share

This has usually been a major part of the problem, certainly in the past. I remember some dire performances in the 80s - the Ric Tic Revue @ Hinckley nearly fell apart for Al Kent until Edwin Starr jumped on stage and gave the backing band a good kick up the jacksy.... they were effing lousy. Edwin always gave good value though. I also remember Gene Chandler over-milking it doing Duke of Earl - rest of his show was good if I recall, but that bit made me shudder.

link

===============

As someone else said, don't mind seeing live bands in their own enviroment as it were, (a gig) but in the middle of a nighter........well it's not for me. Who can forget how many chorus's of Do I love you Frank Wilson sang :P

Most of the time these days, I look in another room, or if there are live acts in all rooms, I bimble about at the back of the room, mumbling and grumbling :-) :yes:

PS.......funny how the majority of the posters on this are anti live acts, cos all weekenders and some nighters have them....so there must be a call for them amongst some.

Social source share

I would have to say no as well.

Not only because the performances usually leave something to be desired (with of course notable exceptions).

But you normally find you're 15-20 minutes with no music waiting for it to get going.

By the way you should recall that at one of Edwins Wigan Shows his backing band were awesome, they grew up to be.....Rose Royce!

Cheers

Tony

Social source share

As someone else said, don't mind seeing live bands in their own enviroment as it were, (a gig) but in the middle of a nighter........well it's not for me. Who can forget how many chorus's of Do I love you Frank Wilson sang

With you 101% winny, just say NO to live acts at soul discos, they do my head in!

Social source share

Saw Edwin Starr at a few allnighters on scooter runs during the 80's, he never disappointed me!

Dean Parrish at the 100 Club 25th was just excellent! So for me I suppose it's a yes, however I think most on here have seen acts that have given poor live performances and that has put people off live acts IMO.

Social source share

Saw Edwin Starr at a few allnighters on scooter runs during the 80's, he never disappointed me!

Dean Parrish at the 100 Club 25th was just excellent!  So for me I suppose it's a yes, however I think most on here have seen acts that have given poor live performances and that has put people off live acts IMO.

link

=============

It's not the quality of the acts that puts me off them, most of them are still really good. It's the palava before and after, and the fact that a lot of people seem to leave once they've played. Live acts for me just bring whatever buzz there is to a stop, and in my experience, it's almost impossible to recreate :-(

Social source share

=============

It's not the quality of the acts that puts me off them, most of them are still really good. It's the palava before and after, and the fact that a lot of people seem to leave once they've played. Live acts for me just bring whatever buzz there is to a stop, and in my experience, it's almost impossible to recreate :-(

link

No what you mean about palava Winnie.... but if "done right", i.e. band getting on stage to start on cue from preceding DJ and next DJ ready directly after encore, then it's like I said like here....

now that being a w/ender seems to work a whole lot better.... you've had a full on uninterupted niter on the Friday.... so Saturday and live acts works.... Sunday nite is then back to full on before home time :P ....

link

....cause people "stay" after these, dont they ?....

(added) cause the vans/chalets are usually too cold to go back to :yes: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

I think the live act at a weekender is more the way to go. They could do their set kind of early-ish on Saturday. I don't like the idea of breaking up the music too much. I want to keep going.

The LA weekender has been the only bonafide northern soul event that I have attended so far. I avoided a lot of the live perofmances, although I caught a few, but meeting the artists was a real highlight for me. Getting a hug and a kiss from Sandy Wynns was great, seeing Rufus Wonder, who is practically blind and hasn't been on stage since the 60s got up there, despite being a bit frightened. He sang about a minute or two of "Under the Moon" acapella and the crowd just clapped along. It was very moving actually. Jerry Williams did his thing a bit too casual with the record playing behind him. Still good to hear his voice, though. But Jimmy Conwell popping up on stage with a full zoot suit and putting a lot of energy into "That Beatin' Rhythm" was very entertaining! He really got the crowd going and put a smile on my face with his very enthusiastic effort. Seeing him do "You Got to Have Money" would have blown my mind! I wished they would have broke that one out.

I still have to agree with many of the people on here about the subject. You want to hear the authenticity-you don't want to hear some watered-down version of the songs you love. Too many live performances would really grate on me. I've been going to oldies shows since I was 12 years old and the highlight was always meeting the artists afterwards and discussing music with them-the show was secondary. Sometimes you get these guys talking and they'll tell you great stories about all sorts of people, like how they were friends with other soul singers and how the records came to be-that's stuff I want to hear. But seeing these people glowing from all of the admiration from the soul fans is really satisfying. It's sad to think that there are a lot of these artists who may never realize how much we all appreciate their music. Jimmy Conwell just stopped me in the hall out of nowhere and said hello to me and I told him that "You've Got to Have Money" was one of my all time favorite records. That was a rush. It satisfied me to be able to thank him and it probably satisfied him to know that there was someone who loved one of his long-forgotten sides and told him to his face. I also met Jimmy Conwell's son and talked with Jimmy Radcliffe's son. Talking to the people was far more interesting to me.

I think that if the right backing band with a northern soul state of mind when they played their instruments got behind the right artists who still had what it takes to entertain an audience, it would be more entertaining. And the sets could be kept short, to keep things rolling along. But to achieve this, you'd almost need an orchestra to get the full effect. So it could never be what we'd ultimately like it to be.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Ive Never Been A Big Fan Of Live Acts ,I Usually Looked At Records ,There Were a Few Duff Nights At Hinckley ,Although I Remember Being Impressed With Lou Ragland .

The Best In My Opinion Was Eddie Parker And Lorraine Chandler At stafford

Social source share

Guest mattmale

link

I also saw Edwin at a few places in the early eighties and the ric tic review at Hinckley leisure centre. It was superb. The best act i ever saw was Harold Melvin at Leicester Oddfellows, bloody brilliant!

Having said that, i'm in agreement with most others that acts tend to spoil a nighter. I think a venue should at least have a separate room if an act is on. Triuble is, how many people would go see em? Might be embarrassing.

M.

Social source share

Yes AND no.

Yes, as it's an honour for me to see all these legends right there in front of me in the flesh(and if they're good it's a bonus!)

No, as a nighter should be DJs only IMO.

I ran a ska/reggae night with someone a while ago and he put bands on. The night ran from 8 til 2 and the bands went on around 10pm for 45 minutes to an hour and as soon as they'd finished, everyone buggered off home. From a crowd of about 60 or 70, there'd be about five people left.... :angry:

Gordy

Social source share

Ive Never Been A Big Fan Of Live Acts ,I Usually Looked At Records ,There Were a Few Duff Nights At Hinckley ,Although I Remember Being Impressed With Lou Ragland .

The Best In My Opinion Was Eddie Parker And Lorraine Chandler At stafford

link

Completely off topic, but my maiden name was Playfair :yes:

Social source share

Yes AND no.

Yes, as it's an honour for me to see all these legends right there in front of me in the flesh(and if they're good it's a bonus!)

No, as a nighter should be DJs only IMO.

Gordy

link

With you on this one Gordy, they definitely work better in a weekender environment (or in concert)

Social source share

Guest martyn

Anyone remember the Gloria Jones tour in 76?Absolutly killed the atmosphere at St Ives (even though it was in a big F me off sportshall rather than the usual hall).

Mind you ,never saw Edwin Starr do a bad set..........Remember getting pulled up on stage (with Rob R.from Bedford) to sing WAR with him :(:yes::(:P

Social source share

link

Certainly they do not spoil weekenders maybe nighters, for me they are the highlight of a good weekender, I would'nt have missed "Barbara Lynn,Bobby Patterson,Frank Wilson,J.J.Barnes,Prince Phillip Mitchell, Bobby Hutton,Phil Perry,Melvin Davis,Cody Black,Gene Chandler,Jimmy Conwell,Marvin Smith,Ruby Andrews, Sam Dees" for the world, only drawback is why are they on so late normally 1.00am :shades:

Talking of live acts any Leroy Hutson fans out there, he's on at The Jazz Cafe, London in April, surely an act not to be missed :thumbsup:

Social source share

After reading through this thread

I agree with all the folk that say live artists at nighters are a no no

But

A weekender is a different kettle of fish

Two great memories for me is phil perry at prestatyn and jimmy conwell at fleetwood

and the thought of seeing ben e king at the wheel...blows me away

Edited by Darren
Social source share

Well would seem most think live acts spoil a niter,recently worked with Tommy Hunt at a club in bolton,brought the house down was superb and then spent two hours,out in the club signing autographs chating and

haveing photos taken.Impressed me that much that we booked him for sheridans in feb,would agree that some artists dont lend themselves to the allniter enviroment,but when you get a true pro a good 45 min set once in a while aint a bad thing.

Social source share

think end of day if live acts were unwanted then promoters woiuld be aware and wouldnt book them

will throw clip up jnr walker soonest, pm yer pete ref shout later on

was thinking of past live acts from while back, Archie Bell at Ritz sprang to mind, but so did a vague memory of Brass Construction doing ritz as well, that right ? anyone pass on other acts apart from the usual that appeared there ??

couple of live artist vid clips in gallery

eddie holman in both 80s and 90s , sharon jones, sidney barnes at dome

have few others around, shout if any requests

feel free to add any if any hanging round on pc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!