Aint No Soul

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ronnie's version is a bit more gutsy isn't it? I think most would go for Major Lance on the basis that he's an all time hero. Northern Soul before the term was coined. In fact, in those days we called them "good disco records"!

Social source share

Just listened to a version by Ray Paige. Pretty quirky vocal but a pounder.

https://www.ktfdownload.co.uk/dl.php?fileur...OLD%20SHOES.mp3

link

Am gonna pick Ronnie Milsap, but I love the Major just as much! was thinkin bout Ray Paige's effort!... just picked this up recently.. but it was for the stunning beat ballad ont flip "Dont Stop Now" slurp! Beat Ballads are like tits to me!..... am a sucker for em both! :yes:

Steve

"these old laces that took me places........ they just wont tie!"

Social source share

This one's like showing a red rag to a bull

The Major is black soul artist of the highest calibre

Ronnie is a white c+w singer

There are no grey areas

Ed - thats enuff play on colours

link

This is not about comparing performers. Ther's no comparrison obviously. We are comparing a single performance.

To me Ronnie's record has the edge. It's a bit faster for a start and the production has a bit more oomph. And I don't think anyone would claim that this was one of the Major's best recordings.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Talkin bout Ronnie Milsap, anyone else rate his other Scepter outing "When It Comes To my Baby" a great Ashford and Simpson tune.. love it mesell... bin playin it a bit ov late.

I rate it as well. Great track. I've heard that there is a Ronnie Milsap compilation CD in the making with stuff from his (pre-country) Scepter and Warner years. The Dan Penn produced stuff etc. Should be a keeper. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

'When it comes to my baby' is a very pleasant sounding record. The other day I posted something on Jack Nontgomery's "Don't turn your back on me." Does anyone else agree that Ronnie Milsap on "When it comes to my baby" sounds more than a little bit like Jack. But whereas Ronnie's record is pleasant, Jack's is great.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!