Gold Of My Life Bootlegs?

Mike

not entirely sure what the message sent via site via contact us is all about

If can enlighten further feel free

Company Rock-Way Records

Location USA

Comments

I produced a song in the usa in 1975 called Gold of my life and Can you feel the funk. my song was bootlegged in the UK ans now I read on your web sight that Witches brew has written an article calling m records (non orginals) I never authorized my records to be distributed in the uk in 1975, I did not find out about my records in Europe until recently which means tat the records were pirated for 30 years, all of the recordings in Europe collectors hands are phoneys.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Some further info.....

The Mixed Emotions Single "Can you feel the Funk/Gold of my Life" was

produced by Elijah Cole, Jr. in 1975 in a limited edition of 300

records under his own label. These were never for sale to the general

public and were given away to friends and family only.

Elijah Cole recently rereleased his original single for the very first

time using the original master. For the very first time this record is

now available for sale to the public. The only way that you can get

these original singles is through his daughter, Felicia Kemper.

Be aware that we have never authorized the reprint or distribution by

other sources.

If you have any further questions, please let us know. Thank you for

your interest and concern.

Regards,

Felicia and Bjorn Kemper

Social source share

got 2 posts via "contact us" regarding this

this be last pass on regarding this matter, if anyone wants to add posts, then sign up and post ......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elijah Cole Jr. submitted the following Information:

Email Cole3@webtv.net

Company Rock-Way

Location USA

Comments

The individual named CHALKY

is a person who is making statements about the Record I produced in Oakland California in 1975, and he was not in the USA when I produced the recording nor does he know what information I had put on the record label. I had the musical arranger's name put on the label in the USA and the labels in the UK does not show any arranger and that means they are BOOTLEGGED.

Regards

Elijah Cole

Email Cole3@Webtv.net

Location USA

Comments

I read in the Forum a story about me, which was uncalled for in which the individual called me a "Crack Head".

I believe his name was Jason of Witchbrew UK. Pease inform him to get his information from the proper authorities before he start his name calling. I was the producer of all of the songs released on Rock-Way records and I am not a "Crack Head" Gold of my life/mixed Emotions 1975

Regards

Elijah Cole

Social source share

The Mixed Emotions Single "Can you feel the Funk/Gold of my Life" was

produced by Elijah Cole, Jr. in 1975 in a limited edition of 300

records under his own label. These were never for sale to the general

public and were given away to friends and family only.

Bloody big family biggrin.gif

Regardless what they were originally intended for, family, friends whatever! it still makes the original 300 the first press doesn't it?

Social source share

But then again Elijah, if your reading, the first set of records pressed you have no control over do you, so you would have a vested interest in passing these off as "non-originals" :Dthumbsup.gif

Just out of interest how much are you selling the "original" release for? Including P&P, know a few who are after one, could be interested myself if the price is right :D

Social source share

We started playing this again at the Greatstone about 2 years ago.I got mine off Hutchie (Mike Hutchinson)about 1978 after hearing it on tape and MarkB has one probably from Soulbowl about the same time.

Budgie.

Social source share

We started playing this again at the Greatstone about 2 years ago.I got mine off Hutchie (Mike Hutchinson)about 1978 after hearing it on tape and MarkB has one probably from Soulbowl about the same time.

Budgie.

link

would these be the original boots or the original reissues whistling.gif confused? you should be :thumbup::sleep3:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
:lol: Let me say this; I live in California, have my whole life, and I found a copy of this single in a derilect shop app. 40 miles from Oakland very cheap a while back. Please keep in mind there would be a 1% chance a European bootleg would be anywhere near its original origin (San Fran.), let alone before most Americans rated it! The label is signed "To Amy, from Edward on 1 side, "to Amy" from Benger? (I can't quite read the handwriting-sorry!) Edwert" on the other. I'm assuming these are band members that autographed it to one of the 300 "friends", ok? Anyway, I'm 99.9% sure this is the real mc coy, and I ain't seeing NO engineer credits nowhere!!! I also received a spare from Oslo Norway (Hello Bjorn!) that was a little cleaner, and it is identical, 100%! So, to set the record (parden the pun!) straight, having found it in the wild near San Fran. in an environment that still doesn't know much about "rare soul", I will tell you European collectors this copy only had the producer, NO ENGINEER listed on it! I don't know any collector in the states or anywhere that ever saw one with that listing, EVER!! Mr. Elijah, if you are reading this, email me at mikevague@hotmail.com and straighten this out, at least make sense of this mess! Until I hear from you and physically inspect this other variation you speak of, I will go on record (corny pun again!) to say copies of this 45 w/o the engineer credits are the 1st pressing. Nuff' said!!! Mr. Vague
Social source share

I read in the Forum a story about me, which was uncalled for in which the individual called me a "Crack Head".

I believe his name was Jason of Witchbrew UK. Pease inform him to get his information from the proper authorities before he start his name calling. I was the producer of all of the songs released on Rock-Way records and I am not a "Crack Head" Gold of my life/mixed Emotions 1975

Regards

Elijah Cole

link

Edited by kooga
Social source share

:D Let me say this; I live in California, have my whole life, and I found a copy of this single in a derilect shop app. 40 miles from Oakland very cheap a while back. Please keep in mind there would be a 1% chance a European bootleg would be anywhere near its original origin (San Fran.), let alone before most Americans rated it! The label is signed "To Amy, from Edward on 1 side, "to Amy" from Benger? (I can't quite read the handwriting-sorry!) Edwert" on the other. I'm assuming these are band members that autographed it to one of the 300 "friends", ok? Anyway, I'm 99.9% sure this is the real mc coy, and I ain't seeing NO engineer credits nowhere!!! I also received a spare from Oslo Norway (Hello Bjorn!) that was a little cleaner, and it is identical, 100%! So, to set the record (parden the pun!) straight, having found it in the wild near San Fran. in an environment that still doesn't know much about "rare soul", I will tell you European collectors this copy only had the producer, NO ENGINEER listed on it! I don't know any collector in the states or anywhere that ever saw one with that listing, EVER!! Mr. Elijah, if you are reading this, email me at mikevague@hotmail.com and straighten this out, at least make sense of this mess! Until I hear from you and physically inspect this other variation you speak of, I will go on record (corny pun again!) to say copies of this 45 w/o the engineer credits are the 1st pressing. Nuff' said!!!  Mr. Vague

link

Your point about bootlegs being near to their origin- Some Northern DJs in the past actually bootlegged particular records and passed them off as originals as they dumped them back in the USA so it looked like they had come from an original source so I am afraid your point of 1% chance is actually agreat deal higher! :)

Social source share

Your point about bootlegs being near to their origin- Some Northern DJs in the past actually bootlegged particular records and passed them off as originals as they dumped them back in the USA so it looked like they had come from an original source so I am afraid your point of 1% chance is actually agreat deal higher! :)

link

Good point Ernie,

I remember copies of Matt Lucas - You Better Go-Go coming over in the mid to late 70's that were allegedly US boots done for the flip side.

Godz

Social source share

I some cases that could well be true, but I honestly doubt it in this one. When, for instance, was the record ever indemand enough for it to warrant a bootlegging? Cole's admitted pressing 300 in '75 and the one's without the engineer's name, they're the one's from '75. Also known as, original copies.

...although I think Andy Dyson told me that Mick Smith told him at some point that he had it on another label that was issued before Rock-Way. Cole has never mentioned this. Maybe it's just a single copy he pressed up for Jesus or somebody. :) :diablo: :D

Social source share

Good point Ernie,

I remember copies of Matt Lucas - You Better Go-Go coming over in the mid to late 70's that were allegedly US boots done for the flip side.

Godz

link

Why would anyone want the B side of that? It's not deep or anything, just another dance record.

Couple of years ago I put Matt Lucas in as a search and found his fan club - so I sent them an email asking about Go Go and said I'd like to buy a copy if anyone could find it, I got a reply from the head of the fan club who was in fact...Matt Lucas. Anyway he only had one copy, that was his own, but he sold it me anyway! I gave him $500 for it. Silly sod autographed it on the label instead of the sleeve but I sold it for, I think, £700. Shame, I'd liked to have kept that, one of my favourite oldies.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!