• Replies 54
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry but it has the JazzFM jingle in there  :yes:

link

tHATS THE FIRST TIME i'VE EVER HEARD THIS - WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC SOUND...'proper' Northern Soul the way it should be...it's even got a Mike Terry 'burping' sax in the background. Vocal not brilliant but it's get everything else in there. Right, need a recording without that jingle on it :lol:

Social source share

Mick H paid about £2500 for his didn't he?  Can see this fetching about the same.  In fact can only see this going to a small handful of buyers, not many out there with the money prepared to buy records like this.

link

im sure it was more then that..it was cracked anyway and label was tatty.he played it at luton.absolutely tune despite condition

Social source share

If it was wasn't much more.  He bought the Moments on Hog same time and I'm sure it was about £6500 for the pair.

link

maybe im having a blonde moment..lolol...it was in dollars if i remember

still great tune though.how many more i wonder?

Social source share

Thanks for sticking the downloads up. 2 awesome tunes.

Just a word of caution about Pipkins 50. Do NOT tell him that you have bought a new record. Within 2 days he will have bought same said record a lot cheaper. My parade is constantly being rained upon :lol:

link

totally untrue accusation

its usually a day

whats your next purchase soulsmith

lolol

Social source share

totally untrue accusation

its usually a day

whats your next purchase soulsmith

lolol

link

pipkins50 this is your doctor here we said no ebaying no looking or talking about records for 24 hours :lol:

tell that soul smith i found a copy of WEAKSPOT for him just send £20 p&p to the usal place :yes:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Margaret Little? Oh dear, I think i last heard it at my parent's anniversary bash between 'chirpy chirpy cheep cheep' and 'high ho silver lining'.

Just my opinion though. Just not my taste.

M.

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

If it was wasn't much more.  He bought the Moments on Hog same time and I'm sure it was about £6500 for the pair.

link

no chaiky i did not pay £6200 for them both it was $7200 us dollors

thats £4000 as there is only 3/4 copies of the moments & 2 known marg littles i think thats a good deal don't you

concidering cashmeres & bill bushes fetch £1800 and they must be 200 copies of each floating around

and for there's not many people who wouid pay £2500 for margaret little just watch the bids on ebay for this 3rd copy.

were in a league today were there is at least 200 players paying £2000 plus for records today and thats not counting the us & europe

so the demand for top rare tunes is still strong as ever and people will pay top prices if the record there after comes on to the open market

just a few weeks ago delarks went for £4500.walter wilson £4300

Mick H

Social source share

I can't believe nobody turned this record up before with those names on the label credits...how can it have laid hidden for so long?

What's definite though is another copy will turn up on ebay very soon, they only have to see something getting action and someone somewhere will have a copy which they'll put on there.

Example, Moments on Hog, never seen one before then two in a month...

Social source share

im sure it was more then that..it was cracked anyway and label was tatty.he played it at luton.absolutely tune despite condition

link

are you sure you were looking at the right record my copy is not cracked and the label is in good order

Mick H

Social source share

and the other side isn't too bad either  :lol:

link

Nice double sider. Just listened to both a few times as I had only heard it once and the flip shades it IMHO.

Hammy

Social source share

Might hear it locally Shane. Fluffy Falana is on the case !! :lol:

link

you like it Steve?

I will have another car soon and you are welcome to a lift to the next lifeline. You will love it Steve. Its a great night! Its the place to hear all these new finds. :yes:

Shane

Social source share

you like it Steve?

I will have another car soon and you are welcome to a lift to the next lifeline. You will love it Steve. Its a great night!  Its the place to hear all these new finds. :lol:

Shane

link

Great record. As Pete S says, how did it stay undiscovered for so long. Wylie- Hestor. Unbelievable.

Social source share

tHATS THE FIRST TIME i'VE EVER HEARD THIS - WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC SOUND...'proper' Northern Soul the way it should be...it's even got a Mike Terry 'burping' sax in the background.  Vocal not brilliant but it's get everything else in there.  Right, need a recording without that jingle on it  whistling.gif

link

and that my friends is why it's an expensive record

Absolutly awesome :sleep3:

Social source share

"Love Finds A Way" has a superb traditional Detroit northern backing, sounds great, shame they didn't employ another, and better, vocalist when there were so many good ones around at the time. The flip does nothing for me though.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Trevski

It was an old Gilly record that came from Popcorn way back when, currently being played by Sam and Mick H.

link

All roads lead back to Gilly, yet again. What remarkable, impeccable taste the man had! (and still has) A real unsung hero of the scene, and a lovely bloke too! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I think the side in question is far below average.

The best bit apart from the fade is the sax break at the end, and that's only cos she shuts up!

I know I've had a bid, so the above statements probably seem a bit hypocritcal, but I assure you I was bidding for a rare record, not a particularly good one.

The flip seems Ok though - by far the superior side, and if I ever get one, I know which side I'll be playing! whistling.gif

I wonder how many copies recordmanx is actually sitting on? Llook well if has a 50-box and floods the place, whatch the price drop then, cos IMO it ain't the song keeping the price up there!

Billy :lol:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

:lol:

I know I've had a bid, so the above statements probably seem a bit hypocritcal, but I assure you I was bidding for a rare record, not a particularly good one.

Billy whistling.gif

link

So are you saying you dont like it but were buying it because its rare, does that mean, having seen your name as dj, you would play something out just because its rare?

This f*****g scene has gone mad.

:lol::lol:

Jock

Social source share

Guten Morgan Mr 'Connor,

It was an old Gilly record that came from Popcorn way back when, currently being played by Sam and Mick H.

link

Halo Tony,

No surprise there, man of immpeccable taste, not the most soulful record maybe but proper Northern, Gilly was so influential, not surprised as usual to see him not getting the credit he deserves. Christian you should try and meet Gilly sometime, it might help you understand Northern Soul a little better.

All roads lead back to Gilly, yet again. What remarkable, impeccable taste the man had! (and still has) A real unsung hero of the scene, and a lovely bloke too! whistling.gif

link

See comments above Trev, totally agree, nice to see that some people do give credit where its due, as I would expect from you, see you soon ,and say hi to your other half. :lol:

Yours bemusedly :lol:

Jock

Social source share

Can only endorse what others have said about Gilly. In my formative years he was far and away my favourite deejay.

In many ways some of the 'bigger names' (but that's another thread) of today are only just now catching up with his impeccable taste.

He epitomises what the scene should always have been about: a thirst for finding and spinning brilliant soul records.

Social source share

So are you saying you dont like it but were buying it because its rare, does that mean, having seen your name as dj, you would play something out just because its rare?

whistling.gif   :lol:

Jock

link

I can't see the point in buying something you don't like :lol:wacko.gif Might as well spend the sort of money you'd have to spend on ML on summat you do like :lol:

Social source share

:lol:   :lol:

Jock

link

woops last reply didnt seem to appear?

Fair comment jock ............the scene has gone mad.......... however to

try and justify-; I have loads of tunes that i dont particularly go a bundle on, but i do try and play to 'the floor' and judging by the amount of feedback here and dance floor reaction, should this have come for my bid I saw this as an opportunity to buy one for the floor.

Perhaps a bit naieve of me to expect owning this at my bid though

billy whistling.gif

Social source share

I would indeed like to meet him sometime, I have heard and read only good things about him. Don't know if it would help me understand anything better, but it is always great to meet someone very knowledgeable and passionate about soul music, and especially Detroit which is probably my favourite musical city.

Social source share

Nothing strange with buying something you don't like, there are many bargains to be had that you could either sell for a cash profit or with some rarer pieces use them for trade to get something you really want. I do it all the time and so do many other collectors, and dealers. Let's say I was offered Margaret Little at £1500 from someone in the US, I would buy it without second thought and use it for trade and if that failed, just sell it and make a quick buck. Are you saying this is wrong?

Social source share

I met gilly at sheridans last year courtesy of my auld mucker Gary Steele and the stories gilly told me that night were in a nutshell.... fantastic and he's a bloody good humoured chap as well had my sides aching.

Hes got a fantastic knowledge not just of music but of the soul world and who else could boast to having Johnny Mae Matthews sign their copy of "I have no Choice" whilst standing in her kitchen.

Geeeoooooordie whistling.gif

Social source share

Forgot to add this to my last tag, this tune is not that new a find, If Im not mistaken, and some of the North East lads may chip in here, but I do believe John Powney had a copy of this way back in the early 80's I certainly think he played it at the Compass club in whitley bay on one of My Sunday soul sessions about 1984.

Geoooordie whistling.gif

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Forgot to add this to my last tag, this tune is not that new a find, If Im not mistaken, and some of the North East lads may chip in here, but I do believe John Powney had a copy of this way back in the early 80's I certainly think he played it at the Compass club in whitley bay on one of My Sunday soul sessions about 1984.

Geoooordie whistling.gif

link

I've just been on e-bay to "ave a look" at this & the price is up to

£3250.00. Also the high bidder is a North Wales DJ/Collector. As to

there being 3 known copies, does this include the one Pat Brady had.

I beleive he sold it to a Foreign collector.

Regards to all Ritchie.

Social source share

I've just been on e-bay to "ave a look" at this & the price is up to

£3250.00.  Also the high bidder is a North Wales DJ/Collector.  As to

there being 3 known copies, does this include the one Pat Brady had. 

I beleive he sold it to a Foreign collector.

Regards to all Ritchie.

link

:D

Social source share

closed at £3,596. went to mark*sue, who are dealers, i believe?

link

Dealers is correct.... I'm reliably informed.... just hope that if it's "dealt" on to pastures new it ain't anybody on here who knows what it was got for.... because can't see anyone paying an extra fair few ££££'s when they could've bid themselves....

Personally think it'll be a "keepy" as sure they collect as well as deal....

Finished lower than what I thought it would.... thought at least £4000 at the minimum....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!