Warrington Parr Hall

Reg

Was just talking about Tony's empress on another thread and it got me thinking about favourite old venues and my personal favourite old venue Warrington Parr Hall. Ah the memories, the train trip from Oxford road, meeting your mates in the queue outside and catching up, orange ice lollies, sixties newies, SOS bootlegs...then the horrendous wait for the bus home in the morning (Sunday engineering works..nothings' changed since)... and cups of tea in the arndale cafe with Malcolm Talcum

You know loads of people say the scene died for years after Wigan but Parr Hall was always rammed every 2 weeks for a good few years. Did anybody on here go?

Social source share

• Replies 127
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Cheers Chalky, brilliant seeing them!

link

I didn't keep many, but did save Soultown at both the Tony's!!! Blackburn and Mexborough.

The Mucky Duck (Black Swan) in Mansfield another good night around that time.

Did you go to the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield. Know I live there but it's the best venue I've ever been in, shame about the squad :lol::yes:

Social source share

[Did you go to the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield. Know I live there but it's the best venue I've ever been in, shame about the squad :lol::(

link

I don't remember that one..nearest to Yorkshire we went was Brighouse I think. We were only babies..relied on public transport mostly and occasional lifts home from sympathetic older soulies. When I'm moaning nowadays about the 45 minute drive back from Sheridans or somewhere I only have to think back to hours waiting at cold railway stations and feel much better!!

link

Social source share

I don't remember that one..nearest to Yorkshire we went was Brighouse I think. We were only babies..relied on public transport mostly and occasional lifts home from sympathetic older soulies. When I'm moaning nowadays about the 45 minute drive back from Sheridans or somewhere I only have to think back to hours waiting at cold railway stations and feel much better!!

link

And they say "those were the days" :yes: Wouldn't swap them for owt though.

link

Social source share

Oh Reg, the pictures I could ruin us both with from Parr Hall. I think we look better nowadays, mind you it was the 80's and I was a fat little mod who tried to squeeze into tailor made clothes that still couldn't make me look good.

Well, in some ways maybe. I couldn't get away with shorts nowadays. Looking back at some of the boyfriends from those days...some things never change :lol::yes:

Edited by Reg Molehusband
Social source share

I didn't keep many, but did save Soultown at both the Tony's!!!  Blackburn and Mexborough. 

The Mucky Duck (Black Swan) in Mansfield another good night around that time.

Did you go to the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield.  Know I live there but it's the best venue I've ever been in, shame about the squad  :lol:   :yes:

link

=========

Chalks, who ran the winding wheel? And when did it finish?

Social source share

=========

Chalks, who ran the winding wheel? And when did it finish?

link

It was in 1987 ran for most of the year (a packed Boxing night could have been the last). Danny Everard ran it with some help from Dave Thorley. There were four rooms, the used two, downstairs holds 700, upstairs 400, another with room for 150 or so and another a birt smaller again. Saw Danny in Cornwall whilst there on a mini break and he hasn't changed a bit.

Squad was a real problem though. They were turning coaches back on the motorways, searching everyone in the towns main car park and still the niters were packed. After all this they busted one person with two grams I think. If they had gone down to the local night club, the Adam and Eve, they woold have had a field day :lol: Great nighters though, Steve Smith did the door one night, squad turned up and he chargerd them all to get in :yes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

It was in 1987 ran for most of the year (a packed Boxing night could have been the last).  Danny Everard ran it with some help from Dave Thorley.  There were four rooms, the used two, downstairs holds 700, upstairs 400, another with room for 150 or so and another a birt smaller again.  Saw Danny in Cornwall whilst there on a mini break and he hasn't changed a bit.

Squad was a real problem  though.  They were turning coaches back on the motorways, searching everyone in the towns main car park and still the niters were packed.  After all this they busted one person with two grams I think.  If they had gone down to the local night club, the Adam and Eve, they woold have had a field day  :lol:   Great nighters though, Steve Smith did the door one night, squad turned up and he chargerd them all to get in  :yes:

link

Bloody Squad!
Social source share

Was just talking about Tony's empress on another thread and it got me thinking about favourite old venues and my personal favourite old venue Warrington Parr Hall.  Ah the memories, the train trip from Oxford road, meeting your mates in the queue outside and catching up, orange ice lollies, sixties newies, SOS bootlegs...then the horrendous wait for the bus home in the morning (Sunday engineering works..nothings' changed since)... and cups of tea in the arndale cafe with Malcolm Talcum

You know loads of people say the scene died for years after Wigan but Parr Hall was always rammed every 2 weeks for a good few years. Did anybody on here go?

link

============

boy did i !!!

one of the best all niters since wigan for me

started going when guy h took over and they were struggling to get it going as it was similar initially to the stafford set up

then steve croft and chris king (i think ) got involved and you went from 50 punters to nearly 1000

the 1st anniversary allniter there was one the best all niters of my life

utterly fabulous place and people

theres only 3 people from those days ive never met since the parr hall closed who id loved to meet again

paul from bradford who used to wear big red shoes

katy lemball from bradford who used to send me letters with pills drawn all over the text (gr8 when me mam found them i can tell ya!)

and little denise from skelmersdale who used to wear a circle skirt who used t o go everywhere but i havent seen since (someone told me on a chat room that she may have died,but im hoping they were mistaken!)

sorry to ramble on but the parr was a fab venue and was in the right place at the right time

ive got a tape of the 1st anniversary if anyone wants one

regards

mark

Social source share

PARR HALL - fantastic venue always one of my faves ... first niter i ever dj'd at bloody hell !!

link

Didn't realise u'd dj'd there. it wuz great wasn't it, massive ballroom, everyone sat out in the corridor on the floors chatting, the record bar with the soft drinks and lollies on sale. malcolm with his vest and flares on dancing his dunlop flashes off to 'cause you're mine', reg molehusband keeping three lads on the go all neet, and me having to keep em all out of the way of each other. Paul Murphy in the big room, someone called Graham I think out in the entrance corridor and a scooter boy who we met at The Scarborough Mod Rally in the record bar.

Chris Carr was mental spinning constantly knocking all the chairs ova, wearing tiny shorts, and a head and wrist band, leather shoes and adidas socks... fetching...

Social source share

============

boy did i !!!

one of the best all niters since wigan for me

started going when guy h took over and they were struggling to get it going as it was similar initially to the stafford set up

then steve croft and chris king (i think ) got involved and you went from 50 punters to nearly 1000

the 1st anniversary allniter there was one the best all niters of my life

utterly fabulous place and people

theres only 3 people from those days ive never met since the parr hall closed who id loved to meet again

paul from bradford who used to wear big red shoes

katy lemball from bradford who used to send me letters with pills drawn all over the text (gr8 when me mam found them i can tell ya!)

and little denise from skelmersdale who used to wear a circle skirt who used t o go everywhere but i havent seen since (someone told me on a chat room that she may have died,but im hoping they were mistaken!)

sorry to ramble on but the parr was a fab venue and was in the right place at the right time

ive got a tape of the 1st anniversary if anyone wants one

regards

mark

link

I'd love one. Don't think my mate and I missed hardly one all the time it ran. It's not just nostalgia, it was just class! Even now when some records are played I can close my eyes and be back there...Tommy Navarro, Soul Bros Inc, The Hytones...loads of em. If I go to a do and Pat Brady's deejaying, his voice takes me back there...tapes, playlists anything like that would be a joy to see/hear blush.gif

Social source share

Parr hall was the first allnighter i ever ventured to and it changed my whole view on what northern soul was about

Sadly the lads i used to go to parr hall with,every last one of them has binned the scene

Its wierd how when i think back that we used to wait for the first bus out of warrington in the morning for about 3 hours

where now im older and have a few more pennies, i wouldnt put up with sitting at a bus station for hours knackerd ,starving and skint biggrin.gif

Social source share

Steve Croft lives near me in Chesterfield.  Settled into normal obscurity and with his partner have some sort of nursery (plants).  Sells them on Chesterfierld market etc.  He keeps asking my mother about me etc and as far as i know still has his records.

link

Fcukin hell Chalkster.... wondered where he got to.... knew Steve and Adrian very well from when they started promoting Clifton Hall.....

They use to have the T.V. and electrical shop in Rotherham called Strads.... also a cafe a few doors away that had NS on the jukebox....

Hadn't seen either for ages up until about 4 years ago when Adrian walked into Ponds Forge.... he was still in some flat in Rotherham at the time.... anyhow, he got together with a female friend of ours and is now living about 10 mins (in car) from me.... still see Adrian and we often wonder where Steve ended up as Adrian lost contact with him a fair few years back....

Small world mate....

Social source share

Parr hall was the first allnighter i ever ventured to and it changed my whole view on what northern soul was about

Sadly the lads i used to go to parr hall with,every last one of them has binned the scene

Its wierd how when i think back that we used to wait for the first bus out of warrington in the morning for about 3 hours

where now im older and have a few more pennies, i wouldnt  put up with sitting at a bus station for hours knackerd ,starving and skint biggrin.gif

link

Thar bus station was like something from Assault on Precinct 13 ...very grim. Did you used to go in that grotty cafe in the Mcr Arndale with tall Nige,Martin the mod, Chris Morgan, Malcolm Talcum etc?

Social source share

Fcukin hell Chalkster.... wondered where he got to.... knew Steve and Adrian very well from when they started promoting Clifton Hall.....

They use to have the T.V. and electrical shop in Rotherham called Strads.... also a cafe a few doors away that had NS on the jukebox....

Hadn't seen either for ages up until about 4 years ago when Adrian walked into Ponds Forge.... he was still in some flat in Rotherham at the time.... anyhow, he got together with a female friend of ours and is now living about 10 mins (in car) from me.... still see Adrian and we often wonder where Steve ended up as Adrian lost contact with him a fair few years back....

Small world mate....

link

Saw Adrian last year somewhere, f*** knows where thumbsup.gif:D If I get done early enough Friday might pop into town and see if he's about, Steve that is, get some contact details if I can :D

Social source share

Saw Adrian last year somewhere, f*** knows where  thumbsup.gif   :D   If I get done early enough Friday might pop into town and see if he's about, Steve that is, get some contact details if I can  :D

link

Please do Chalky.... have fond memories of "chugging" over to Wigan from KGB, or sometimes going somewhere else, in Steve's green car with Adrian and Darren Harden (another guy I ain't seen for about 3 yrs).... could never remember the make or model.... knew it had engine in back (not VW) and we "choked like fcuk" in the back on the fumes....

Soul content: "good times bad times"....

Social source share

Please do Chalky.... have fond memories of "chugging" over to Wigan from KGB, or sometimes going somewhere else, in Steve's green car with Adrian and Darren Harden (another guy I ain't seen for about 3 yrs).... could never remember the make or model.... knew it had engine in back (not VW) and we "choked like fcuk" in the back on the fumes....

link

Can remember Darren too, DJed alongside him few times in the 80's (if it's the same Darren biggrin.gif )

Social source share

Can remember Darren too, DJed alongside him few times in the 80's (if it's the same Darren  biggrin.gif )

link

Will be him mate.... he did a few places in the 80's.... don't think he did Clifton Hall but do know he did Queens Hall and others with Steve.... plus the odd guest spot elsewhere....

Know both of them (D & S) co-ran a "freebie" thing in Rotherham on a Sunday night way back when (late 80's I think).... seem to remember the place being called "Capones"....

Social source share

Will be him mate.... he did a few places in the 80's.... don't think he did Clifton Hall but do know he did Queens Hall and others with Steve.... plus the odd guest spot elsewhere....

Know both of them (D & S) co-ran a "freebie" thing in Rotherham on a Sunday night way back when (late 80's I think).... seem to remember the place being called "Capones"....

link

Yep was Capones, don't think I missed one....some great nights for a Sunday there with quality soul.

Social source share

i loved Parr Hall..........a traditional heaving niter.........fair Stoke contingent used to go......i attended with Ian bailey and Dave mountford.........we usually saw sedge and young shute in there........one weekend we were going we had a small crash outside Ian baileys house and banged into Nogga's mini parked on the side of the road and totalled it......(we were singing along to "yum yum tree" at the time).......undeterred we carried on to Warrington.......pulling up outside like something from a demolition derby........the front nearside door was jammed so it was kicked open to a big cheer from the queue waiting to get in........afterwards a load of people went back to IBs house and proceeded to try to mend noggas" write off "on Sun morn...happy days

Social source share

i loved Parr Hall..........a traditional heaving niter.........fair Stoke contingent used to go......i attended with Ian bailey and Dave mountford.........we usually saw sedge and young shute in there........one weekend we were going we had a small crash outside Ian baileys house and banged into Nogga's mini parked on the side of the road and totalled it......(we were singing along to "yum yum tree" at the time).......undeterred we carried on to Warrington.......pulling up outside like something from a demolition derby........the front nearside door was jammed so it was kicked open to a big cheer from the queue waiting to get in........afterwards a load of people went back to IBs house and proceeded to try to mend noggas" write off "on Sun morn...happy days

link

========

gees sedge

theres a blast from the past

is he ok?

Social source share

Yep was Capones, don't think I missed one....some great nights for a Sunday there with quality soul.

link

This brings back a few memories, I always attended Capones after the Bradford allnighters, I would stay in Rotherham and catch the train home to Essex Monday, Took a few sickies in the 80's.

Phil.

Social source share

link

Mark,

Darren H went to Davys a few times 2003/4. DJ'd once. Not seen him since though.

Social source share

aye miss shuffler... i was 17 at the time , i used to get the bus to crofty's shop strads carry me box across town thn load steve's van up and i'd be plonked in the back of the van with a couple more lunatics and endure the 3 hour run to parr hall- you see mr croft was tight he'd go 40mph all the way the van had holes in the back and he seemed to go the long way for some reason !

but it was worth it i was on first then george sharp would follow, nevr forget one time i finnished with charles mann- hey little girl , george put this 45 on the decks and said this next record will be monstrous- how right he was it was george pepp- coleman - he's just got it for £60 i think from anderson, strange i ended up with that same copy some 10 years later....

Social source share

aye miss shuffler... i was 17 at the time , i used to get the bus to crofty's shop strads carry me box across town thn load steve's van up and i'd be plonked in the back of the van with a couple more lunatics and endure the 3 hour run to parr hall- you see mr croft was tight he'd go 40mph all the way the van had holes in the back and he seemed to go the long way for some reason !

but it was worth it  i was on first then george sharp would follow, nevr forget one time i finnished with charles mann- hey little girl  , george put this 45 on the decks and said this next record will be monstrous- how right he was it was george pepp- coleman - he's just got it for £60 i think from anderson, strange i ended up with that same copy some 10 years later....

link

============

george sharp

fabulous dj

his spots were knock out

Social source share

where now im older and have a few more pennies, i wouldnt  put up with sitting at a bus station for hours knackerd ,starving and skint whistling.gif

link

I will have to dig out the photos,i took a full film at the last Parr Hall with a lot of the crowd from the stage...What a place..All those rides back to Yorkshire on the scooter in winter...I met a girl there who changed my life for ever...I will dig out the photos and lets see what we find..I know there is one of Martin the Mod in some really bad white slip on shoes i think,also Baldy,Mike Phoenix,Shaun,Dave and the Wrexham/Mold crew and lots lots more..It was a great time for us all and took us away from just stompers to new 60s and beat ballads...Big tune at Warrington was "Lady in red" and Mr Misery,don't know if i have heard them since...Warrington for me was hearing Bobby Cline and Freddie Houston for the first time,changed my ears for life..Edwin star live at Warrington,kissed my girlfreind at the front of the stage and she talked about it for about a month..Sleeping in the Hallway next to the record bar in the days before Red Bull(ha ha)..All the crew that came with me are no more on the scene but Little Stevie says "till death us do part"...I aint much good at working the pc,someone can put up the photos then let me know,i can post them to you,also photos from Bradford Queens Hall if anybody wants to see them...

Social source share

but it was worth it  i was on first then george sharp would follow, nevr forget one time i finnished with charles mann- hey little girl  , george put this 45 on the decks and said this next record will be monstrous- how right he was it was george pepp- coleman - he's just got it for £60 i think from anderson, strange i ended up with that same copy some 10 years later....

link

17 at the time Mr Dyson! B l o o d y H e l l !! Me and Reg were about 15, that means we're about the same age, I know great maths but boy oh boy I thought u wuz only 25 ish now whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest DANNYSPEDDINGS

Mark,

Darren H went to Davys a few times 2003/4. DJ'd once. Not seen him since though.

link

DARREN HARDING IS WORKING AT MOORGATE ACUSTICS IN SHEFFIELD, AS FOR STEVE CROFT AND ADRIAN I HAVE NO IDEA, PETE SMITH WHO USED TO RUN PARR HALL NOW SELLS RECORDS ON THE INTERNET, AS HE DID SAT NEXT TO ME AT THE BRADFORD ALL NIGHTERS AT QUEENS HALL, DARRREN USED TO DJ ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND TRAVEL WITH HIS BEST MATE PAUL CATEBREAD, FROM WIGAN IN 78 AND BEFOR MY TIME AS I WAS A LATE STARTER FROM 77 AT THE KGB IN SHEFFIELD, HE HAS GOT SOME GOOD TUNES AS SO HAS ALLAN SENIOUR WHO NOW IS A NIGHT CLUB OWNER IN SHEFFIELD AND ALLSO OWNS LOADS OFF PUBS AS WELL, ALLAN WASS STEVES PARTNER AS WAS I AND DARREN HARRDING. HOPE THIS FILLS A KIND OF GAOP? DANNY

Social source share

DARREN HARDING IS WORKING AT MOORGATE ACUSTICS IN SHEFFIELD, AS FOR STEVE CROFT AND ADRIAN I HAVE NO IDEA, PETE SMITH WHO USED TO RUN PARR HALL NOW SELLS RECORDS ON THE INTERNET, AS HE DID SAT NEXT TO ME AT THE BRADFORD ALL NIGHTERS AT QUEENS HALL, DARRREN USED TO DJ ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND TRAVEL WITH HIS BEST MATE PAUL CATEBREAD, FROM WIGAN IN 78 AND BEFOR MY TIME AS I WAS A LATE STARTER FROM 77 AT THE KGB IN SHEFFIELD, HE HAS GOT SOME GOOD TUNES AS SO HAS ALLAN SENIOUR WHO NOW IS A NIGHT CLUB OWNER IN SHEFFIELD AND ALLSO OWNS LOADS OFF PUBS AS WELL, ALLAN WASS STEVES PARTNER AS WAS I AND DARREN HARRDING. HOPE THIS FILLS A KIND OF GAOP?   DANNY

link

Hey up Danny.... about time you joined in.... I know Darren works at bottom of Fargate.... was meaning I ain't seen him at a soul do for a couple of years.... Pete Smith is on here known as "Pete S" if that's who you mean.... use to see Alan Senior a fair bit when he had that "club" in Rotherham and also that pub "The Sidings".... at the pub was through the "pool" league I ran/still run.... know he's got "Banus" (old Josephines) now in Sheffield.... see Adrian quite a lot out and about as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread....

p.s. "bladeforlife" is Steve Mannion.... who I know you know from his DJ days at Clifton Hall (Rotherham) and Queens Hall (Bradford)....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

DARREN HARDING IS WORKING AT MOORGATE ACUSTICS IN SHEFFIELD, AS FOR STEVE CROFT AND ADRIAN I HAVE NO IDEA, PETE SMITH WHO USED TO RUN PARR HALL NOW SELLS RECORDS ON THE INTERNET, AS HE DID SAT NEXT TO ME AT THE BRADFORD ALL NIGHTERS AT QUEENS HALL, DARRREN USED TO DJ ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND TRAVEL WITH HIS BEST MATE PAUL CATEBREAD, FROM WIGAN IN 78 AND BEFOR MY TIME AS I WAS A LATE STARTER FROM 77 AT THE KGB IN SHEFFIELD, HE HAS GOT SOME GOOD TUNES AS SO HAS ALLAN SENIOUR WHO NOW IS A NIGHT CLUB OWNER IN SHEFFIELD AND ALLSO OWNS LOADS OFF PUBS AS WELL, ALLAN WASS STEVES PARTNER AS WAS I AND DARREN HARRDING. HOPE THIS FILLS A KIND OF GAOP? DANNY

link

[/quoteI" WAS A LATE STARTER FROM 77 AT THE KGB IN SHEFFIELD]"

You could have done a lot worse mate,that was a cracking venue(everyones Russian to the KGB)................Even a dairy yard behind to nick your free milk from in the morning,not that I would condone such behaviour :yes:

Social source share

DARREN HARDING IS WORKING AT MOORGATE ACUSTICS IN SHEFFIELD, AS FOR STEVE CROFT AND ADRIAN I HAVE NO IDEA, PETE SMITH WHO USED TO RUN PARR HALL NOW SELLS RECORDS ON THE INTERNET, AS HE DID SAT NEXT TO ME AT THE BRADFORD ALL NIGHTERS AT QUEENS HALL, DARRREN USED TO DJ ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND TRAVEL WITH HIS BEST MATE PAUL CATEBREAD, FROM WIGAN IN 78 AND BEFOR MY TIME AS I WAS A LATE STARTER FROM 77 AT THE KGB IN SHEFFIELD, HE HAS GOT SOME GOOD TUNES AS SO HAS ALLAN SENIOUR WHO NOW IS A NIGHT CLUB OWNER IN SHEFFIELD AND ALLSO OWNS LOADS OFF PUBS AS WELL, ALLAN WASS STEVES PARTNER AS WAS I AND DARREN HARRDING. HOPE THIS FILLS A KIND OF GAOP?  DANNY

link

Fuckin ell!!! How you doing Danny, long time no see or hear!

Social source share

link

Social source share

link

All drinks 75p per pint too.

Social source share

Guest DANNYSPEDDINGS

Fuckin ell!!! How you doing Danny, long time no see or hear!

link

HI MATE, YES STILL ALIVE, STILL LOVE ANTHING DIFFERENT STILL PLAY SOUL EVERY DAY BUT DONT GO ANYWHERE NOW, TRYING TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE WHAT EVER THAT IS. ALL THE BEST.

WHO KNOES I MAY TURN UP SOME PLACE FOR A ONE OFF, HA HA.

WENT TO VISIT JOAN AND TONY IN PRESTON THE OTHER MONTH, SAID THEY SAW STEVE MANCHA LIVE, WOOW I DIDNT BELIEVE THEM TILL THEY PLAYED THE VIDEO,

GOOD LOOK AND ALL THE BEST DANNY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!