Ebay Seller - WARNING

Pete S

Just thought I'd let you know about this arsehole, he advertises northern records with reserves that nobody ever meets, so then he sends private emails offering the records at twice their actual value.

"Dear mayfairmenthol,You bid on this 45 but did not make the reserve. I am offering this record for $199.99. This is a good price for this record! Please reply ASAP. Bob,You will save on the postage if you take 2 or more records! It looks like you will save more on the postage if you take the 3 records you bid on!!!!"

The records included the Persionettes and The Uptights. I sell the Uptights for £75-£80 so I'm hardly likely to pay £100.

Anyway I sent him this perfectly polite reply

"Sorry Bob, thanks for the offer but all of those are too expensive for me, as a dealer I have to be able to make a profit and I couldn't on those.

thanks anyway though

Pete

so today I got this reply

"Please stop bidding on my records if you can't pay retail! You are just waisting my time! Bob

naturally I have replied telling him to shove his records up his arse and I told him I'd make him famous by putting him on my list, and here he is, so could I suggest that everyone be wary about dealing with an idiot like this.

His Ebay user name is Count769.

(sent to mailing list)

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That happened to me with him Pete.

Can't remember what it was I was bidding on, but he emailed me after and offered me it for £50 more than it was valued at in Manships!!

I pointed that out to him, and didn't hear anything back.

Having said that, I have actually bought off him in the past and didn't have any problems.

He usually has some decent stuff up, but I think these price guides have influenced some dealers on ebay to start implementing unrealistic reserves.

Jamie

Social source share

Well I've now had 6 people email me with details of this guy hassling them and then being extremely rude when they don't want his overpriced records. If anyone else has any experience with this guy let me know, I'm going to report the c*nt to ebay for illegal selling tactics

Social source share

Well I've now had 6 people email me with details of this guy hassling them and then being extremely rude when they don't want his overpriced records.  If anyone else has any experience with this guy let me know, I'm going to report the c*nt to ebay for illegal selling tactics

link

Me, too. A complete idiot!

And another one: soul_bee , from Japan

He sold me a Ruby Sherry, that never arrived. He told me that he would search after the record, but never came back to me with the results from his post office. I just got one email back from him, that's three months ago.

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Guest wrighty

Obvious reasons??  :yes:

link

his name is bob ellis and yes he is rude, obnoxious and expensive :lol:

here's one of his more polite e-mails...

I wrote you a detailed E-mail, but it got sent to me . I do not have time to type over. In a NUTSHELL I AM UPSET BECAUSE YOU DID NOT CALL ME TO HEAR THE RECORD-I LEFT THE PHONE ON THE HOOK ONLY FOR YOU! BOB

Social source share

A real shame Bob is under estimating the knowledge of the UK dealer/collector.

I have known him 25 years and will have a word. Affectionately known as 'The Count'- Bob Ellis used to sell to John Anderson and myself rare 45's as far back as 1976. He does still find 'em!

Anyone travelling to the SOULTRIPUSA event in April 2006 wil run into him(he's taking a trade stand).

On this occasion I think he may be caught up in the increased euphoria of NS buying/selling.

Sorry you had problems. He is a decent guy though....honest.

Kev

Social source share

Ohhhh yes, being in Baltimore-you've got to know "The Count" from Philadelphia. I used to see him on a regular basis at the record shows in Baltimore. He's down every month. He wants top dollar for everything, even if it's shite. once, he had $100 marked on a VG- copy of "Mary. Mary" by the Joneses! blush.gif What the hell is THAT? He's a real character. You've got to meet him in person to get the full effect. I've got a decent relationship with the guy and yes he can be pretty nice, but he is definitely tripping out with his prices and grading. He must have it in his mind that Brits are stupid people with money falling out of their pockets and are dying to get their hands on his records. I've seen people cuss him out at record shows, telling him to never come by their table again. It just comes down to greed, though. He seems to think JM's book is the final word.

Here's one for all of you: I bought a VG- copy of a Joey Heatherton demo from him for $30 after 3 months of beating him down from $60. About a year or so later, I picked up a stone mint demo in the picture sleeve and put the one I bought from him back in my sales box. He sees it in there and says he needs it for "some guy in the UK". So, I charged him $55.00 for it. His cash got "lost in the mail" and finally turned up. THEN I sent the record. I basically sold back to him an off-grade 45 for about double what he charged me. Serves him right.

So as you can see, I don't do anything with this guy unless it's on my terms. That's the way you gotta play it. YOU tell HIM what you'll do or he can fack off. Without you guys, he won't do anything with these northern records. Next thing you know, he'll be trying to sell it you at your price.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

A real shame Bob is under estimating the knowledge of the UK  dealer/collector.

I have known him 25 years and will have a word. Affectionately known as 'The Count'- Bob Ellis used to sell to John Anderson and myself rare 45's as far back as 1976. He does still find 'em!

Anyone travelling to the SOULTRIPUSA event in April 2006 wil run into him(he's taking a trade stand).

On this occasion I think he may be caught up in the increased euphoria of NS buying/selling.

Kev

link

No, he's a tosser, end of...and if I was going on the trip I'd tell him to his face...

Social source share

Guest Arcticsoulboy

I´ve dealt with the Count as well. Probably the rudest dealer I´ve ever come across. From what I have been told, he also has a very interesting dress sense as well. Can you enlighten us Jas, as you´ve met the man?

Social source share

Ditto. He is a right  :graywanker:

link

I didn't meet the reserve price, he offered it to me for more money than my bid was, so I said no.

After some days he came back to me and told me, that my bid would be a contract, I have to pay the money I bid on it. I agreed and wanted to pay via paypal, as it still was a method of payment at his auction at that time.

He said: "no, you can't pay via paypal, this method shouldn't show up anymore, you can send cash."

Than I said: "no, your payment methods are part of the contract."

He gave up, but told me to never come back to his auctions. That's what I really appreciate, I'll never come back to this top dealer!!

Social source share

Well I've now had 6 people email me with details of this guy hassling them and then being extremely rude when they don't want his overpriced records.  If anyone else has any experience with this guy let me know, I'm going to report the c*nt to ebay for illegal selling tactics

link

Me & Tommy have had problems with him as well Pete.

He's an obnoxious TOSSER!!

Social source share

A real shame Bob is under estimating the knowledge of the UK  dealer/collector.

Kev

link

25 years ago Kev he may well have been Ok (ish).... probably due to his niaivity then :D ....

As for present day.... can only agree will all others.... a complete wanker.gif .... trys to make out he "knows it all" :D ....

Had similar.... bid on summat.... don't win.... reserve not met.... then an e-mail (not even highest bidder) with a "not to be missed offer" type of thing thumbsup.gif .... obviously he was working his way down the "bidders" on that one to find that elusive "fool" who'll buy it for what he wanted :D ....

When the reply is not a "yes".... then you get the "utter bollox" of a reply back trying to "push it" onto you :D .... how many "no's" does it take before he accepts it :D ....

Might be called "count".... but that's only to do with the money he hopes to get :D ....

I'd be thinking twice about giving him a "trade stand" at "Soultrip USA 2006".... the only trade I can see will be a :Fck_off_by_nulltarget: .... but then again "business" is "business", eh Kev, when selling trade space....

As Pete says originally.... stay clear and avoid :D ....

Social source share

Count769 is the most horrible bastard on Ebay. I remember i had a situation with him on a Matadors record he was selling.

Never even bothered bidding on his stuff since.

Social source share

25 years ago Kev he may well have been Ok (ish).... probably due to his niaivity then :yes: ....

As for present day.... can only agree will all others.... a complete wanker.gif .... trys to make out he "knows it all" :lol: ....

Had similar.... bid on summat.... don't win.... reserve not met.... then an e-mail (not even highest bidder) with a "not to be missed offer" type of thing :sleep3: .... obviously he was working his way down the "bidders" on that one to find that elusive "fool" who'll buy it for what he wanted :lol: ....

When the reply is not a "yes".... then you get the "utter bollox" of a reply back trying to "push it" onto you whistling.gif ....  how many "no's" does it take before he accepts it :sleep3: ....

Might be called "count".... but that's only to do with the money he hopes to get :shades: ....

I'd be thinking twice about giving him a "trade stand" at "Soultrip USA 2006".... the only trade I can see will be a  :Fck_off_by_nulltarget: .... but then again "business" is "business", eh Kev, when selling trade space....

As Pete says originally.... stay clear and avoid :thumbup: ....

link

Maybe he's become a real problem. He didn't use to be. I found many great records from him 25 years ago.

I guess the UK scene has left him misguided price wise.

Social source share

Got to agree with you, all this guy is right pain. had a problem with his postage costs for an LP wanted $25 to the UK.

He is well known on the east coast & has & still does pick up some nice things, but I never bother as its to hard work to deal with him.

Ian

Social source share

link

same thing with me i was polite to him but he gets shirty when you tell him it is to expensive.

mark

Social source share

A WONDERFUL STATEMENT FROM THE FORMER LA PROMOTERS!

link

Hey Dad. Talking of "obnoxious TOSSER" or in this case a prized up, out of his depth... little wanker. Bexter is infact my good friend

"Kev Noberts".

Social source share

Hey Dad. Talking of "obnoxious TOSSER" or in this case a prized up, out of his depth... little wanker. Bexter is infact my good friend

"Kev Noberts".

link

Woops. Sorry. Slip of the fingers. Of course i meant

"Kev Roberts"

Social source share

This knob sent me abusive e-mails when I declined paying £80(&postage) CASH ONLY for a record I had bid £40 for that failed to meet its reserve whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!