Southern Power House Studios

A few weeks ago we had a great tread about TK. The south has had a number of great studio's over the years, some still operating to this very day. Rick Hall, still works out of Fame Studio's in Muscle Shoals and Malaco can still be found turning out stuff in Jackson. So let's behaving fav tunes from some of these southern power house studio's, any stories anyone may have, pictures etc

Ecko Studio's-Memphis

post-3008-1175677440_thumb.jpg

Famous Water Tower Muscle Shoals

post-3008-1175678173_thumb.jpg

Otis Redding and Rick Hall

post-3008-1175678069_thumb.jpg

post-3008-1175677980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Aitor

Don't Pretend (Just Be Yourself) - roscoe robinson - fame

good thread thumbsup.gif

GREAATTTTTT Tune thumbsup.gif

How much this one goes for ??

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

A few weeks ago we had a great tread about TK. The south has had a number of great studio's over the years, some still operating to this very day. Rick Hall, still works out of Fame Studio's in Muscle Shoals and Malaco can still be found turning out stuff in Jackson. So let's behaving fav tunes from some of these southern power house studio's, any stories anyone may have, pictures etc

Ecko Studio's-Memphis

post-3008-1175677440_thumb.jpg

Famous Water Tower Muscle Shoals

post-3008-1175678173_thumb.jpg

Otis Redding and Rick Hall

post-3008-1175678069_thumb.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Murco label - were recordings made at a studio in Shreavesport?

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Hi

Shreveport is another one of those hot spots in the south, just like Muscle Sholas it's a small town, but great music came out of there and home of Paula/Jewel group.

My in-laws live in Jackson MS and we should be back over there later this year - Would anyone know if a tour of Malaco would be possible and who to contact?

Social source share

My in-laws live in Jackson MS and we should be back over there later this year - Would anyone know if a tour of Malaco would be possible and who to contact?

Rather rudely I just turned up there one lunchtime. Wolf was out but the other guys were all there, so after a tour of the studio, and warehouse it was into Tommy Couch's office for a chat, and I met George Jackson too. Really friendly people thumbsup.gif George was trying to get all his tracks together for his grandkids, and was missing some, so I promised him when I got home I'd cut them onto a CDR and send them to him, which I duly did being a good egg

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Rather rudely I just turned up there one lunchtime. Wolf was out but the other guys were all there, so after a tour of the studio, and warehouse it was into Tommy Couch's office for a chat, and I met George Jackson too. Really friendly people thumbsup.gif George was trying to get all his tracks together for his grandkids, and was missing some, so I promised him when I got home I'd cut them onto a CDR and send them to him, which I duly did being a good egg

I can think of worse ways to spend a lunch hour. Was this recently Steve?

Social source share

Well done Dave for starting this thread and stick with it, i have started to dig out some stuff for this thread and the Sam Dees thread as i think the uptake is disappointing to say the least, amazes me talk about one rare record on here and you get a millions replies most boring as hell "moan moan moan"

Anyway thanks for putting up some great pics and posting some very nice tunes, will try and dig out a photo of me and a couple of dodgy looking chaps outside Malaco studios

cheers

Andy :lol:

Social source share

Great photos.

I'd love to have an office in a shack below a water tower like that (...unless it leaks of course).

Most of my favourite tracks were recorded in southern studios - especially Stax, Fame, Muscle Shoals Sound, Royal (Hi), Quinvy (Broadway Sound), Wishbone, Malaco, etc.

And let's not forget Sound of Birmingham, American Sound (Memphis), Sound City (Shreveport), The Sound Pit (Atlanta), Grits N Gravy (Clinton, MS), The Sound Shop (Nashville) and Criteria (Miami) etc.

It's great to see this kind of thread.

And can we have some more photos of The Osmonds please?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

post-3850-1175813113_thumb.jpg

The Larry Nix mastering suite at Ardent in Memphis, TN.

Lots of great southern soul 45s were mastered there.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hi Paul

I took that photo :thumbsup:

Hello Dave,

Yes I probably stole it from another thread or somewhere on the internet.

But thanks for taking the photo. We never know how long some of these places will survive.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

three strikes on me - larry saunders - sound international lp

bloody hell what a tune from the prophet of soul lp this it whats it's all about just listen and enjoy , recorded at muscle shoals sound studio ala

Social source share

i'll come running back - sandra wright - demon lp  

as above in my top 5 lps of all time no question, and just a really sad story of how it never came about.

Social source share

three strikes on me - larry saunders - sound international lp

bloody hell what a tune from the prophet of soul lp this it whats it's all about just listen and enjoy , recorded at muscle shoals sound studio ala

This is a fantastic LP & worth every penny of your well earned pennies, Andy I cant remember if there is an August Moon/Mr Wiggles connection with this aswell ?????.

Russ
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!