Dish Warp's And Cleaning

Guest Rich Walker

Guest Rich Walker

Hi all,

Saw the thread on cracked 45's and it made me think...

Is there anything you can do to fix or improve records which have a dish warp?

In addition, what do you guys use to clean your precious 45's? Should a different method be used for cleaning styrene records rather than vinyl?

Cheers for your help,

Rich.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all,

Saw the thread on cracked 45's and it made me think...

Is there anything you can do to fix or improve records which have a dish warp?

In addition, what do you guys use to clean your precious 45's? Should a different method be used for cleaning styrene records rather than vinyl?

Cheers for your help,

Rich.

Had 2 UK records over the years that looked absolutely perfect, when played it was like 'frying tonight dear'...I could not understand what the hell was wrong with them, nice and clean, no marks but they just would not play without loads of crackle. I tried everything to clean them up and nothing worked. Took them to a guy in a shop in Norwich who's records always seemed very clean and bright.....he cleaned them up no problem using a combination of Tesco's unscented baby wipes and Mr.Muscle window and glass cleaner, after a few cleans using both, and some elbow grease, they played perfect!!

Social source share

Guest Rich Walker

Had 2 UK records over the years that looked absolutely perfect, when played it was like 'frying tonight dear'...I could not understand what the hell was wrong with them, nice and clean, no marks but they just would not play without loads of crackle. I tried everything to clean them up and nothing worked. Took them to a guy in a shop in Norwich who's records always seemed very clean and bright.....he cleaned them up no problem using a combination of Tesco's unscented baby wipes and Mr.Muscle window and glass cleaner, after a few cleans using both, and some elbow grease, they played perfect!!

Thanks for that mate. :lol: Any ideas how to de-dish a record?

Social source share

Thanks for that mate. :lol: Any ideas how to de-dish a record?

Pete's successfully ironed a record (as he's said here and in a previous thread), but I prefer to stick to the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" addage. If dished records play OK, best to leave them as they are, rather than risk damaging them further. Removing warps of any kind is a very touch-and-go process.

Social source share

i use window cleaner too lol but any shops own equivalent will do its non abrasive cuts the grease just spray directly onto a soft cloth and rub into the grooves clean all the excess off with another clean cloth and then repeat if needed .... make sure the record is thoroughly dry before playing!!!!

if you use baby wipes make sure they are not the lotion type as this will just add more grease lol....

cookie :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

i use window cleaner too lol but any shops own equivalent will do its non abrasive cuts the grease just spray directly onto a soft cloth and rub into the grooves clean all the excess off with another clean cloth and then repeat if needed .... make sure the record is thoroughly dry before playing!!!!

Window cleaner contains much the same ingredients as the very expensive £25 a bottle record cleaning solutions sold to audiophile nuts and as they are designed to leave no residue don't end up clogging the grooves of your records with junk. I did a comparison with a purpose made record cleaner and a window cleaner and the latter was 95% as good at a tenth of the price.

I had some purpose made stuff a few years back that you dissolve in distilled water, it was about £15 but made 4 litres. Wish I could remember where I got it and what it was, it was the best ever. May have been for car valeting? The over door window came up lovely too.

Social source share

Pete's successfully ironed a record (as he's said here and in a previous thread), but I prefer to stick to the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" addage. If dished records play OK, best to leave them as they are, rather than risk damaging them further. Removing warps of any kind is a very touch-and-go process.

Agreed .

Avoid ironing 45s at all costs if you can ; do not go to any extreme measures to cure a warp .......

Malc Burton

ironing.bmp

Social source share

Guest moggy

In the early days, I used fairy liquid in luke warm water, improved the look of the vinyl and made my hands soft and gentle just like mummys :lol: I did use it honest.

These days I use pledge furniture polish, leave it on for a minute and then buff them , brings them up a treat & they smell nice, when i have cleaned em, I then play them a couple of times cleaning the needle afterwards, you will find the needle gets that bit extra out the grooves that you cannot get too.

Social source share

I always use Windolene. Spray directly onto record, leave it for a minute or so and then play the 45 on your turntable using an old stylus. I usually play it through twice (and usually with a slight weight (2g) on my Technics deck). Gets the stuff directly into the grooves and comes up a treat. Have had records that look and sound horrendous come up like new.

Thanks to my old mate Jamie for this method. He swears by it with all his old Barry Manilow records...

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

Guest moggy

Hey got me thinking, on my previous post,

Fairy Liquid can also remove the warps, remember the jingle

"Hands thats do DISHES can feel soft as your face with mild green fairy liquid :thumbsup::D:D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!