a Great' But You Cant Stand Them

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Probably a bit negative by hey ho.

Which soul acts that are considered on of the greats, leave you cold?

For me it has to be Stevie Wonder. Apart from I Wish, and Sir Duke, I dont enjoy hearing any of his stuff.

The Commodores/Lionel Ritchie. Brick House aside I hope to never hear again in my lifetime.

And (here's the biggie). I've never liked James Brown. All that Hurh, Heeeey nonsense. Night Train is only bearable because he hardly ruins it with his vocals.

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

you still sulking?

sunny again here.... :thumbsup:

I don't like Stevie or Lionel either

some james is OK, but definately not ALL

and I'm probably gonna get all sorts of abuse here - but I don't like Bobby Blands voice

Social source share

Guest Adrian

And (here's the biggie). I've never liked James Brown. All that Hurh, Heeeey nonsense. Night Train is only bearable because he hardly ruins it with his vocals.

With you on that one, I own People Wake Up 45 but thats it, and as sad as this is, when I first heard it I thought it was Bobby Wommack anyway.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

you still sulking?

and I'm probably gonna get all sorts of abuse here - but I don't like Bobby Blands voice

:D

:tomato2: :tomato2: :tomato2: :tomato2:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

you still sulking?

At this rate I will have to sell all my James Brown, Stevie Wonder and Lionel Ritchie stuff...oh hang on I havent got any. Where's my pay rise you swines!!!

Schorchio down here in Welsh land too. hopefully it will cool this evening. I can feel that Tit Monday may fall on the Thursday before Easter in 2007 :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

With you on that one, I own People Wake Up 45 but thats it, and as sad as this is, when I first heard it I thought it was Bobby Wommack anyway.

Was just gonna mention the same track til I read your post.

I remember selling some stuff to well-known dealer and he goes "James Brown? I hope it's not all sh!t like that!"

He soon changed his mind when he listened to it. Jamie 1 Ego Nil sleep.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Actually, I also like 'Sunny' by JB, and the re-mix version from the last few years.

I sing it (poorly) to my little boy, who just happens to be called 'Sonny'.

Jamie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I don't like Bobby Blands voice

I can feel that Tit Monday may fall on the Thursday before Easter in 2007 :thumbsup:

:D:D

I don't know which one of you two reprobates to scold first!

Am I going to have to put up the Cosmo Smallpiece pic again, Michael?

With you on Stevie, but I hate 'Sir Duke', don't mind 'NTGFMB' or 'Uptight', but there my tolerance ends.

Social source share

Guest moggy

Pete,

We have to keep it to soul, as we would be here weeks if it were every genre of music.

Agree with the Bob Dylan,

The answer my friend is blowing out yer a*se

What was he all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad he never snuffed it though otherwise we would have that musical genius gone before his time bull s**t

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Marvin Gaye

...just kidding wicked.gif

Marvin Gaye........

....Not Kidding :D

...Actually I was just kidding about not kidding - I love his 60s work, but I'm not really interetsed in anything he did after What's Going On and, as I've said before on here, I'm not terribly interested in a lot of what's on that, either.....

In all honesty, my 'Grating Great' is Aretha Franklin. Around 20 good records tops over a 45 year career does not a Queen Of Soul make, IMO. They should have a picture of her in the dictionary just by the word "over-rated"....

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Pete,

We have to keep it to soul, as we would be here weeks if it were every genre of music.

Agree with the Bob Dylan,

The answer my friend is blowing out yer a*se

What was he all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad he never snuffed it though otherwise we would have that musical genius gone before his time bull s**t

agree shit record......but his rare or unplayed uptempo stuff. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

solomon burke, james brown, aretha ... never excited about hearing anything by these folks. lionel ritchie should go without saying.

Social source share

Stevie wonder is a genius, aretha has a voice of an angel ,lionel is a wanker.gif James brown walks on water, otis is soul, get your heads out you arses and listen to the musis it aint rare for a reason,, its GOOD thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

For me it has to be Stevie Wonder. Apart from I Wish, and Sir Duke, I dont enjoy hearing any of his stuff.

The Commodores/Lionel Ritchie. Brick House aside I hope to never hear again in my lifetime.

I once won a Mars Bar eating competition at a local teenybopper disco and I was a bit miffed when I was awarded my prize..."Masterblaster" by SW and "Nice legs, shame about the face"-by The Monks. Yeah, good prize!

I too, could not stand all that James Brown silliness.

Social source share

i heard this tune about twelve months ago and thought the same cracking sound he ` left us with a great tune here as the godfather deserves a 10/10

thumbsup.gif

Agree Collo, Pleasant tune! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest marge

never much been into Stevie Wonder either, or Diana Ross. Lionel Ritchie I wouldn't even have registered ( :rolleyes: ) , but James Brown - a different matter.

But, to add a new one to the list, depends what mood I'm in but Garland Green (have I spelt that right?) in the wrong frame of mind I hear Mike Flowers....

Social source share

Stevie wonder is a genius, aretha has a voice of an angel ,lionel is a wanker.gif James brown walks on water, otis is soul, get your heads out you arses and listen to the musis it aint rare for a reason,, its GOOD :rolleyes::thumbsup:

AGREED TA FOR SAVING ME THE TIME TYPING :huh:

Social source share

I once won a Mars Bar eating competition at a local teenybopper disco and I was a bit miffed when I was awarded my prize..."Masterblaster" by SW and "Nice legs, shame about the face"-by The Monks. Yeah, good prize!

I too, could not stand all that James Brown silliness.

Wonderful prizes .......

I am curious ...... How many MB did you have to eat to win these recorded classics ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Stevie wonder is a genius, aretha has a voice of an angel ,lionel is a wanker.gif James brown walks on water, otis is soul, get your heads out you arses and listen to the musis it aint rare for a reason,, its GOOD :rolleyes::thumbsup:

...and well done for totally missing the point of this thread - which is, I believe "A Soul Great That (You/I/Whoever) Can't Stand", not "Soul Greats That Miff Likes, So Anyone Else Who Doesn't Like 'Em Must Be Wrong".

I don't think that too many people who've posted based their dislike of a particular artist on whether or not their records are rare. I certainly don't do that - if I did, I would hate Wilson Pickett, Four Tops, Otis Redding, James Brown, Clarence Carter, Dionne Warwick, the Temptations and hundreds of others whom I actually adore, but whose records, with the odd exception, can usually be picked up for today's equivalent of 'pennies'.

I just don't like Aretha Franklin all that much - she does not thrill my soul, and I think that the people who've posted negatively about Messrs. Wonder, Richie, Brown et al probably feel the same about their own personal betes noirs.

I do, however, like a lot of Lionel Richie's records. Things that he made with the Commodores like "Just To Be Close To You", "Sweet Love" and "This Is Your Life" are, for me, among the best mainstream soul records of the mid 70s. His post-Commodores reccordings can be a bit hit-and-miss, but just a few years ago he made a great LP with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis which showed that, despite "All Night Long" and "Dancing On The Ceiling", his heart (and soul!) were still in the right place.

However, I can understand why people don't like him - in the same way that I can understand Pete's (and anyone else's) hatred of Bob Dylan, depite the fact that, for me, he'll always be among the half dozen greatest artists of all time - and that brings us conveniently back to the point of the thread I think...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Stevie Wonder leaves me cold to, also Areatha Franklin's screechy voice grates on me and to be honest not that keen on James Brown

QoFxx

Social source share

George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic ...... i have tried but just can't get into it but every book i read tells me he's a genius!

On a more general front:The Beatles ("Sgt.Peppers". Greatest album of all time :thumbsup: ) and Queen (Couple of decent tracks but in the main pretty forgettable IMO).

Social source share

...seems like I am the only one that doesn't like Otis redding then - oh well! :lol:

No, you're not alone.

I read somewhere that the main criticism of him was that his vocal range was limited.

That just about sums it up.

And the sparse Stax arrangements..............What could he have sounded like with the Funk Bros and HDH?

I'll start ducking now..... :thumbsup:unsure.gif:ohmy::excl::excl:

Social source share

I simply can't tolerate that handful of white artists that the rock press have for the last 40 odd years been touting as great white soul / blues singers, to somehow justify that whitey really can sing as good as the black man ...

Janis Joplin

Joe Cocker

Dusty Springfield (I know that one will upset a lot of my fellow soul source members!)

and more recently Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse ... wicked.gif

And I'm with Pete Smith and the others... I've never seen the point of Bob Dylan at all ...

But just to give a bit of balance to my statement, I do believe that Steve Winwood's work with the Spencer Davis Group was very worthy of the "soul" tag, and the more I listen to Chris Farlowe's mid 60's Immediate work the more I value him as a white soul singer, and of course other marvellous blue-eyed soul/blues figures like Tony Joe White and the plethora of mainly southern white soul guys like Dan Penn, Ray Crumley etc etc ... anyway I digress :thumbsup:

Social source share

I simply can't tolerate that handful of white artists that the rock press have for the last 40 odd years been touting as great white soul / blues singers, to somehow justify that whitey really can sing as good as the black man ...

Janis Joplin

Joe Cocker

Dusty Springfield (I know that one will upset a lot of my fellow soul source members!)

and more recently Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse ... wicked.gif

And I'm with Pete Smith and the others... I've never seen the point of Bob Dylan at all ...

But just to give a bit of balance to my statement, I do believe that Steve Winwood's work with the Spencer Davis Group was very worthy of the "soul" tag, and the more I listen to Chris Farlowe's mid 60's Immediate work the more I value him as a white soul singer, and of course other marvellous blue-eyed soul/blues figures like Tony Joe White and the plethora of mainly southern white soul guys like Dan Penn, Ray Crumley etc etc ... anyway I digress :thumbsup:

never understood the joe cocker thing...he struck lucky by getting on the bill at Woodstock then made a career out of it..not keen on Eric Burdon either! his performance at that Barbican Brit Soul thing was abysmal..just shouting !!
Social source share

never understood the joe cocker thing...he struck lucky by getting on the bill at Woodstock then made a career out of it..not keen on Eric Burdon either! his performance at that Barbican Brit Soul thing was abysmal..just shouting !!

Yeah, I was gonna throw in Eric in the overrated lot too, he was just so terribly ham-fisted in his approach to blues singing ...

But Van Morrison is most definitely one of the most soulful white fellas to ever walk the planet IMHO, he had much more depth than Dylan , both vocally and lyrically ...

Social source share

Yeah, I was gonna throw in Eric in the overrated lot too, he was just so terribly ham-fisted in his approach to blues singing ...

But Van Morrison is most definitely one of the most soulful white fellas to ever walk the planet IMHO, he had much more depth than Dylan , both vocally and lyrically ...

yeah got time for Van, seen him several times...he's really immersed himself in Delta Blues and Southern Soul he understands it and didn't just squak in front of an average Beat Combo , he crafted his own take on the music he loves and didn't just rip-off American Artists. Hats off to Van..imo!
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Great thread! Great honesty!!

For me not that many artists where I hate their whole output - more likely to be an era.

E.g. Stevie Wonder - 60's - love it.

Stevie Wonder - later - hate it.

Aretha Franklin is a weird one for me. For a long while could pretty much take or leave her. Then I saw her do "Think" in the Blues Brothers and suddenly I was hooked. Now I look at ALL her stuff with a fresh pair of eyes. Odd!!!!!!!

Sunny - thanks for mention of Chris Farlowe. Anyone with half an interest in blue-eyed soul/blues should try and give him a listen. Esp. that 60's Immediate era. Sometimes I think he can sound quite similar to Van Morrison but CF would get my vote any day. Just the timbre of his voice I think.

Mind you - if you have seen him on the RSG Otis Redding special - looked very "geeky" there against the great man. Don't let that put anyone off searching out some of his other stuff.

OBTW - now I "like" Aretha, Lionel Ritchie moves into the vacant space!!!

MB

Social source share

was readingthe thread with interest and agreeing with most of whats being said re lino ritchie, wonder, franklyn, then came dylan, queen etc and thinkin how can i top these with someone even more pants?

then came JOE COCKER ffs cant beat that, what the fcuk is he all about?

not in the same league but never understood the 'legend' that is Phil Collins! now there is a twat!!!!! but somebody must rate him, who was it that said they only ever bought one album 'no jacket required' and if anybody can think of a better reason for not buying another he would like to hear it?

Pete

Social source share

was readingthe thread with interest and agreeing with most of whats being said re lino ritchie, wonder, franklyn, then came dylan, queen etc and thinkin how can i top these with someone even more pants?

then came JOE COCKER ffs cant beat that, what the fcuk is he all about?

not in the same league but never understood the 'legend' that is Phil Collins! now there is a twat!!!!! but somebody must rate him, who was it that said they only ever bought one album 'no jacket required' and if anybody can think of a better reason for not buying another he would like to hear it?

Pete

Love Dylan, haven't got a clue why though.

With you on the Phil Collins thing though he is my biggest pet hate, not sure what he has to do with this thread though as it's about soul singers, but he is the most boring load "turnips" to ever grace the airwaves and was soley responsible for the downfall of one of my favorite non soul bands ever Genisis, great band until collins moved to the front of the line up :wicked:

QoFxx

Social source share

With you on the Phil Collins thing though he is my biggest pet hate, not sure what he has to do with this thread though as it's about soul singers, but he is the most boring load "turnips" to ever grace the airwaves and was soley responsible for the downfall of one of my favorite non soul bands ever Genisis, great band until collins moved to the front of the line up :wicked:

QoFxx

Social source share

QoFxx

oops! lol

agree not a soul singer but as lots of others mentioned non soul singers i thought i would have a pop at one of my hates!

hope thats ok

Pete

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Wonderful prizes .......

I am curious ...... How many MB did you have to eat to win these recorded classics ?

Malc Burton

Aah no...it wasn't the number but a speed contest..... just the one bar but at high speed!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!