a Great' But You Cant Stand Them

Guest in town Mikey

Guest mel brat

Reading through some of these replies I'm begining to wonder if there are many genuine Soul fans on here at all! - Genesis??? Dear God!

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest denmac

my list includes diana ross, weak or what. otis redding??? what was the fuss about?? oh yeah he died. i would also add writers and producers who tryto sing ie billy paul.... did i just see phil collins on here??? isthis the worst voice you have ever been subjected to ???? YES

Social source share

Can't think of any great Soul singers voice that I actually hate. I think it's true that on certain records both Mr and Mrs Soul, Otis and Aretha, are pretty run of the mill compared to the occasional perfection of some of the lesser known and recognised, and that on many records Marvin sounds like he just couldn't a shit, but I reserve my hatred for the coarse sounds made by the vast majority of the so called great white Rock icons.That doesn't doesn't include Dylan though. He was brilliant on so many records.

Social source share

Guest denmac

compare RESPECT between otis and aretha. think about otis having to "go to memphis to get some soul " re brian ward " rhythm and blues, and black consciousness and race relations"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

compare RESPECT between otis and aretha. think about otis having to "go to memphis to get some soul " re brian ward " rhythm and blues, and black consciousness and race relations"

Pity there's not a head scratching emoticon here - you lost me after the first five words, to which I can at least reply "There IS No Comparison"...

Actually, my general downer on Aretha probably stems largely from her mangling of "Respect", with all its "Sockitomesockitome"s and "ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-spect"s and her generally flippant treatment of the actual song.

If I never heard it again it would still be too soon...

Social source share

Pity there's not a head scratching emoticon here - you lost me after the first five words, to which I can at least reply "There IS No Comparison"...

Actually, my general downer on Aretha probably stems largely from her mangling of "Respect", with all its "Sockitomesockitome"s and "ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-ree-spect"s and her generally flippant treatment of the actual song.

If I never heard it again it would still be too soon...

But "Rough lover" was good :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

But "Rough lover" was good :rolleyes:

Not just good, my friend - great!

Actually, I think quite a few of Aretha's Columbia's are excellent records - "Can't You Just See Me", "Soulville", "Sweet Bitter Love", "Cry Like A Baby", "Runnin' Out Of Fools", "Won't Be Long", "Button Up Your Coat, Tighten Up Your Tie" - nothing wrong with any of those, IMO. I also really like her Luther Vandross-produced "(It's Just) Your Love" on Arista. I would just struggle to find more than about 15 Atlantic sides, in total, that I'd consider to be essential to any soul collection...

Social source share

Reading through some of these replies I'm begining to wonder if there are many genuine Soul fans on here at all! - Genesis??? Dear God!

I would rather listen to really bad soul music than any C and W or Rock opera. I shared a house in the middle of nowhere with a girl who loved Meatloaf and Chris De Burgh. It s was torture!

Pity the poor folks on list who have to endure radio or piped music all day every day in their workplace.

Esther Phillips voice is horrible imho

Social source share

I would rather listen to really bad soul music than any C and W or Rock opera. I shared a house in the middle of nowhere with a girl who loved Meatloaf and Chris De Burgh. It s was torture!

Pity the poor folks on list who have to endure radio or piped music all day every day in their workplace.

Esther Phillips voice is horrible imho

With you on Esther Phillips. Cant handle much of Jackie Wilson's stuff either.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!