This Diamond Ring

Originlly, Written In Late 1963 Intended For The Drifters, Is A Brilliant Song, From The Kooper-Brass-Levine Team, That Has Seen Hit Coverage From Gary Lewis & The Playboys (Liberty '64'), Soul Satisfaction By Sammy Ambrose (Musicor '65'), Andy Williams Took A Stab (Barnaby '75') and Al Kooper Re-did It (UA '76).

I'm Just Curious What You Think The Original 1964 Jimmy Radcliffe Recording Of The Song Twould Sell For Today?

This_Diamond_Ring_C_b_.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is it an acetate or vinyl?

To be honest it's not a bad recordfing but I much prefer Sammy Ambrose version.

Nope It Twas Never Commited To Vinyl... So Yes It's An Acetate.

Won't Comment On Sammy's.

Social source share

Originlly, Written In Late 1963 Intended For The Drifters, Is A Brilliant Song, From The Kooper-Brass-Levine Team, That Has Seen Hit Coverage From Gary Lewis & The Playboys (Liberty '64'), Soul Satisfaction By Sammy Ambrose (Musicor '65'), Andy Williams Took A Stab (Barnaby '75') and Al Kooper Re-did It (UA '76).

I'm Just Curious What You Think The Original 1964 Jimmy Radcliffe Recording Of The Song Twould Sell For Today?

Quite good, but I still prefer Sammy Ambrose version as well.

Bought an answer song version by Wendy Hill on Liberty a few weeks ago but is was too poppy/teeny so got rid.

Social source share

Quite good, but I still prefer Sammy Ambrose version as well.

Bought an answer song version by Wendy Hill on Liberty a few weeks ago but is was too poppy/teeny so got rid.

Think I've Heard That Wendy Hill Record And Agree Bout The Teeny-Popper Aspect.

Still Won't Comment On Samy Ambrose. :wicked:

Oh.. And Cheers To Pitney!

We Lost Me Old Mate A Year Ago Yesterday.

Edited by Mangomn2003
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Absolute great vocals from jimmy mate

great cut........ :wicked:

A friend of mine was personal friends of Sammy Ambrose in the 60's...

told me some nice stories.....

2 good versions........imo. :ohmy:

Social source share

Also Gary Lewis & The Playboys (Liberty)

Social source share

Also Gary Lewis & The Playboys (Liberty)

One Of The Writers, Namely Al Kooper, Was So Unimpressed With The Gary Lewis & The Playboys Record That Years Later, Hoping To Change How The Song Twould Be Remembered, He Re-Cut It The Way He Wanted It To Sound In The 70's. Alas, Depending Upon Which Side Of The Fence You're On, The Mention Of The Title Eithers Brings The Pop GL&TP Version Or For The More Descerning Soulie SA Version. Either Way JR's Was/Is The First Take On The Whole Darn Thing. :wicked:

Edited by Mangomn2003
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Alright mate

of thread here sorry but have you posted anything about this choon by clyde that has jimmys name on it....apologies if you have.... :wicked:

mel

post-6164-1175885304_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Alright mate

of thread here sorry but have you posted anything about this choon by clyde that has jimmys name on it....apologies if you have.... :thumbsup:

mel

Brilliant Song, First Covered By Johnny Nash, Then As A Single And Also As One Of The Five Songs, "Deep In The Heart Of Harlem", "A Suburban Town", "Coney Isand", "My Block" and "Three Rooms", That Clyde Did On His "Songs Of The Big City" Lp ( Mercury 1964). Walter Jackson Would Also Cover DITHOH On Okeh And Audrey Freeman & H.B. Barnums Covers Of "Three Room" Rate High In The Collectable Arena Too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!