The Miracles,shop Around,local Detroit 1st Issue,scan Wanted Please

hi all,can anyone help me i need a scan of the miracles shop around the 1st local detroit tamla issue copy with the very slow intro plus need the matrix/run-out numbers etc,i recently purchased a styrene copy of shop around the 2.48 version with ztsc-67018 on the label i thought this was the one but it plays the hit version with the speeded up intro any info would be great a scan even better!!!...soulie55... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Matrix numbers on the "Shop Around" side is: H-55518-A2

Scans:

post-1392-1176038164_thumb.jpg post-1392-1176038175_thumb.jpg

hello sebastian,thanks for the fast reply and the scan but unless whats in the grooves is different to mine because i have exactly the same tamla 45 in my hand at the moment and have compared the two together and played my copy sorry but it is the speeded up hit version of shop around,im after the really slow vocal version on tamla of shop around that was issued locally in detroit on tamla before it became a hit,thanks again..soulie55

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Social source share

The labels are the same on both the "slow" and "fast/hit" versions of this tune.

The difference is in the matrix numbers!

On the 45 where the scans are from, the scratched in matrix numbers on the "Shop Around" side are: H-55518-A2

Your copy seems to be different. That's where the problem is.

The only way you'll get the "slow" version on a Tamla copy, is to find one with H-55518-A2 as the matrix numbers on the "Shop Around" side.

Good luck digging! :wicked:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

The labels are the same on both the "slow" and "fast/hit" versions of this tune.

On the 45 where the scans are from, the scratched in matrix numbers on the "Shop Around" side are: H-55518-A2

The only way you'll get the "slow" version on a Tamla copy, is to find one with H-55518-A2 as the matrix numbers on the "Shop Around" side.

Good luck digging! :unsure:

thanks for your help sebastian will have to start digging for a copy with h-55518-a2 scratched in the run out groove!!!... :wicked::):wicked: ...soulie55...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I'VE GOT A COPY WITH A ( 1960 )MONARCH NUMBER ( 37073 on the SHOP AROUND SIDE ) & H 55546 + MONARCH 36969 on the b-SIDE THIS ALSO HAS THE MIS-SPELT GORDT ON THE CREDIT,

IS THIS A BOOT OR A RE-ISSUE OF SOME SORT ???????????????????/,

JOE.

No,why should it be?.

Social source share

HI KEN,

I JUST WONDERED BECAUSE THE OTHER 3 COPIES I'VE GOT DON'T HAVE A MONARCH STAMP ON THEM,

I GUESS IT MUST BE A WEST COAST PRESS AND THE OTHERS ARE EAST COAST ??

JOE.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

We have a Tamla Striped 45 for sale with the following matrix ZTSC67018 1A on the "Shop Around" side it's also Bell Sound stamped.

hello funkyfeet,thanks for the reply sorry but i have a mint styrene copy of this 45 with the ztsc stamp but sorry this is not the one i want it has to have h-55518-a2 scratched in the run out i have several copys of shop around with some with L1 and L1(2) in the run out the ztsc copy and the copy credited to gordt-robinson all these are on striped tamla label and are all the "hit version" and to complicate thing a bit more i have a later issue of shop around on the tamla globes label t-54034 this has h-55518-a2 written on the label and shock horror it has h-55518-a2 scratched in the run out at the time i thought YES ive got it at last but alas again its the "hit version" but being a later issue tamla would not have issued the slow intro version of shop around,so at this time i am stuck with my two copys of shop around on canadian reo (8532x) and "by arrangement with tamla records,usa",as the label states and this is the slow version of shop around

i was wondering if later canadian reo issues were pressed up with the hit version of shop around or was it issued only with the slow intro???,has anybody got a copy of shop around with the slow intro on original 60s vinyl from another country ie,holland, germany,italy,etc,plmk,hope this makes sense and sorry for rambling on a bit,(er a bit more than that,ive nearly sent myself to sleep!!!!!!)... :):thumbsup:rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif ..soulie55...

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest gfarrington

hello funkyfeet,thanks for the reply sorry but i have a mint styrene copy of this 45 with the ztsc stamp but sorry this is not the one i want it has to have h-55518-a2 scratched in the run out i have several copys of shop around with some with L1 and L1(2) in the run out the ztsc copy and the copy credited to gordt-robinson all these are on striped tamla label and are all the "hit version" and to complicate thing a bit more i have a later issue of shop around on the tamla globes label t-54034 this has h-55518-a2 written on the label and shock horror it has h-55518-a2 scratched in the run out at the time i thought YES ive got it at last but alas again its the "hit version" but being a later issue tamla would not have issued the slow intro version of shop around,so at this time i am stuck with my two copys of shop around on canadian reo (8532x) and "by arrangement with tamla records,usa",as the label states and this is the slow version of shop around

i was wondering if later canadian reo issues were pressed up with the hit version of shop around or was it issued only with the slow intro???,has anybody got a copy of shop around with the slow intro on original 60s vinyl from another country ie,holland, germany,italy,etc,plmk,hope this makes sense and sorry for rambling on a bit,(er a bit more than that,ive nearly sent myself to sleep!!!!!!)... :lol::lol::yes::D:shhh: ..soulie55...

got a uk copy knockin around somewhere thought it was in sales box but just looked & its not there,to my question though which version was issued on uk or both

Social source share

hi all,can anyone help me i need a scan of the miracles shop around the 1st local detroit tamla issue copy with the very slow intro plus need the matrix/run-out numbers etc,i recently purchased a styrene copy of shop around the 2.48 version with ztsc-67018 on the label i thought this was the one but it plays the hit version with the speeded up intro any info would be great a scan even better!!!...soulie55... :thumbsup::unsure::D

You need a copy with either H55518 A-2 Bell Sound Stamp NY

or Monarch LA Press45 L1(3) Delta # 37003

I have a couple of mint Monarch on styrene "with lines" copies available.

ALAN

Social source share

I've had a mooch around the shelves and come up with these which may help eliminate a few for you.

all the different presses listed below play the same take or no difference that i can tell:

1. 55034 stripe design label Label master # reads H-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads L1 (1

2.55034 stripe design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 36968

3. 55034 stripe design label Label master # reads (H-55518 A2) Matrix reads 45-L1 (3) delta # 37073. Gordy credit on label mis-spelt as GORDT!

4. 55034 stripe design label RARE Columbia ZTSC styrene press label text reads ZTSC 67019. Deadwax matrix reads ZTSC 67019 1A.

5. 55034 stripe design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 37073

6. 55034 GLOBE design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 36968 (don't ask me why?)

7. 55034 GLOBE design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 37073

all the above are also the same as the UK London 9276 release.

The CANADIAN REO 45 press is certainly a different take to all those listed above. I've not one in stock at the moment but I can remember it is different.

the WITHDRAWN Tamla first recording I don't have in stock at the moment, and is also different to the ones listed above. And if I remember correctly the same as the REO 45.

I'm sure someone on these pages with have it filed away as i've sold a few copies in the past. All we need if for that person who owns a copy to add the label master # and the matrix deadwax # then this listing will hopefully be complete.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Shop Around (local version) + flipside - miracles - tamla

Here is a sound clip featuring a bit of both sides from the actual 45 from which the scans above are from. Are you sure that your matrix numbers are EXACTLY the same? That's where the difference is, not on the label as far as I know. Or is there a third version?

Is there a playable clip of the first issue?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I've had a mooch around the shelves and come up with these which may help eliminate a few for you.

all the different presses listed below play the same take or no difference that i can tell:

1. 55034 stripe design label Label master # reads H-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads L1 (1

2.55034 stripe design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 36968

3. 55034 stripe design label Label master # reads (H-55518 A2) Matrix reads 45-L1 (3) delta # 37073. Gordy credit on label mis-spelt as GORDT!

4. 55034 stripe design label RARE Columbia ZTSC styrene press label text reads ZTSC 67019. Deadwax matrix reads ZTSC 67019 1A.

5. 55034 stripe design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 37073

6. 55034 GLOBE design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 36968 (don't ask me why?)

7. 55034 GLOBE design label label master matrix text reads h-55518-A2. Deadwax matrix reads 45-H5518 A-2 delta number 37073

The CANADIAN REO 45 press is certainly a different take to all those listed above. I've not one in stock at the moment but I can remember it is different.

the WITHDRAWN Tamla first recording I don't have in stock at the moment, and is also different to the ones listed above. And if I remember correctly the same as the REO 45.

I'm sure someone on these pages with have it filed away as i've sold a few copies in the past. All we need if for that person who owns a copy to add the label master # and the matrix deadwax # then this listing will hopefully be complete.

I'l have a look when i get home but sure i have the two diffrent copy's on US Tamla.

Had this on my works PC is this the one? H-55546 Time 2.54 T-54034 TR-1-3340

post-4570-1215618932_thumb.jpg

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I'l have a look when i get home but sure i have the two diffrent copy's on US Tamla.

Had this on my works PC is this the one? H-55546 Time 2.54 T-54034 TR-1-3340

post-4570-1215618932_thumb.jpg

Steve J

The slower starting one i have is Tamla T-54034 (H-55518-A2) with dead wax No 45-L1(3) MR A37073 with the numbers on Who's Lovin You dead wax 45-H55548 1B MR A36969

The slow one having very little backing music on the spoken intro unlike the faster one that is more prominent and is there from the start never noticed till now! You can listen to the difference in Refosoul on the first two Miracles Shop Around sound files.

Hope this helps

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Good luck digging! :lol:

Sebastian i have two on this matrix (H-55518-A2) but only one as the slow intro the difrence is in the dead wax the slow one is 45 L1(3) the faster one 45 L1 (1) :D

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I have the Canadian REO copy and as John says it is the one with the slower intro and no strings..The label no is 8532X -S1. The deadwax matrix is scratched in 45-8532-side:1

Oggie.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

I picked up the misspelt "GORDT" press on Saturday night so i thought I would revive this thread and add a post from "Ron Murphy" on the Soulfuldetroit website...CLICK HERE

"here's the deal on "Shop Around"...there are 3 recorded versions of "Shop Around".

at the original session they recorded 2 versions 55518-A1 and 55518-A2. Gordy decided to press the A-2 version first but right after the records came back he changed his mind and decided to switch to the A-1 version, now since it took a couple weeks to print new labels they just pressed the A-1 using the labels printed with the 55518-A2 master number on them, labels were ordered for the A-1 version but these were only used for promos.

after having both versions pressed up and getting feedback from some DJ's, he knew he had a hit if he could re-record it with a different arrangment, so he called everyone back in for a 2nd session and they recorded the "HIT" version numbered L-1....once the record took off Gordy decided to press some copies at Columbia's LA plant and that's where the ZTSC copies come from, now on some of those the name Gordy in the writers credits was mis-spelled as Gordt.

on re-issues there were mistakes made of using the original stamper of the A-2 version because new employees at the pressing plant were only matching the stamper to the labels not knowing it was wrong, also in Canada the only version that was ever issued during the original release date was the A-1 version.

when Gordy got the L-1 back from the plant he drove all around Detroit trying to trade the "HIT" version copies for the 2 earlier versions."

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

All these threads have left me even more confused.

What I gathered from Ron Murphy's post (relayed by Rbman) is that both the A2 matrix (first press) and the A1 matrix (second press, paradoxically) are different versions from the L1 matrix version, which is the later re-cut national, hit version.

It also appears (going by Mr. Manship's post) that even if you have an A2 matrix, but it also has a delta number, you are hearing the national, hit version.

I think the verdict is that the Canadian Reo release is one of the "local" or Detroit versions. (I've also seen it referred to as a "bluesier" version, but beats me why.)

I can confirm that it is different from the versions I have on two different compilation LPs, which I would presume have the national hit version, as I've done side by side listening.

What I still don't know, is which "Detroit" version the Canadian Reo press is.

Just to add to the confusion, the timing on the Reo release is 2:48, and the wikipedia article about the song mentions that the Detroit version is 3:04, and the national hit version 2:50 (I know you can't believe everything you read on there, but still...)

Also, I haven't seen mention of the female version credited to The Miracles on an LP called "Tamla Special No 1."

Who sings that version? Claudette Rogers/Robinson?

When was it cut?

Did it ever come out on a single?

Does anyone out there actually have both the A2 and the A1 versions? I imagine they would be fairly scarce, no?

So many questions!...

Marc

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

anoracky additionl info........whatever the version, it is true that the miracles were a significant part of motown as we know, right from the start. a few points that show just how early and big they were....

1) on a handwritten christmas list from berry, dated dec 12th 1960, the miracles are given a car........whereas mary wells only got a suit case and barret strong a sweater

2) a list of company charges for the group services, 1964, puts them at $1000 a show with the temptations at $650................( wiat till norman gets a grip on them)

3) meeting minutes from 1964 put smokey ahead of H-D-H as top producer that year, relegating them to their "lonely room" as quoted by mrs edwards

p.s. i had the contract for the reo release giving the permission for them to use it. i gave it to a friend for his birthday framed with the reo copy. didnt know it was that different............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert