• Replies 39
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

Am I losing the plot??????

Surely this IS Rhythm & Blues in the original and purest use of the term.

Later uses of R & B whether as an "umbrella term" or a complete misnomer is where the problem is.

From Wikipedia:

Rhythm & Blues

The term was initially used to identify the rocking style of music that combined the 12 bar blues format and boogie-woogie with a back beat, which later became a fundamental element of rock and roll.

Social source share

Am I losing the plot??????

Surely this IS Rhythm & Blues in the original and purest use of the term.

Later uses of R & B whether as an "umbrella term" or a complete misnomer is where the problem is.

From Wikipedia:

Of course its R&B..but that was not the question,would it go down well in an R&B room,I dont think so,have been known to be wrong tho'......loads a times :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes it is rhythm and blues but not quite in the context that it's used in NS circles, thats why I was asking if traditional blues sounds, if uptempo, are acceptable?

It's not bad. This is better if anyone knows it.

Little Mack Simmons - You Got To Help Me - Dud Sound

I can't post a sound file cos i can't figure out how to get it from my turntable to my PC. Sorry :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Guys

Sorry - didn't mean to sound off - just a personal gripe that the term somehow got hijacked all those many many years ago.

Having said that it probably IS a bit "raw" to run alongside sounds that fit under the current usage of the term.

MB

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The question wasn't "would bearsy play this track" though was it :lol:

no.gif no it wasnt Pete and i appologise for that :thumbsup: i just done what i hate being done to me :(

answer, imho i would say to much blues for an r&b track, are you looking at playing it out pete under the r&b banner

Social source share

no.gif no it wasnt Pete and i appologise for that :thumbsup: i just done what i hate being done to me :(

answer, imho i would say to much blues for an r&b track, are you looking at playing it out pete under the r&b banner

Thought title was 'Too Bearsy To Be Played' .. :lol:

Social source share

no.gif no it wasnt Pete and i appologise for that :thumbsup: i just done what i hate being done to me :lol:

Kinnell mate, I'm only pulling your leg (ouch!)

I wouldn't play it out if it was the only record I;d got :(

But I do like blues/r&b so just thought some folk might also like it

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Kinnell mate, I'm only pulling your leg (ouch!)

I wouldn't play it out if it was the only record I;d got :lol:

But I do like blues/r&b so just thought some folk might also like it

:(:thumbsup: i still wouldnt play it either tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I like that.... But not Northern IMHO

Always had a soft spot for good old fashioned blues, especially anything with harp on it.

Social source share

It's much better than the popcorn that passes as R&B these days.

who decides where R&B becomes popcorn, you?

It's maybe not the sound for the soul scene related r&b rooms, but most acceptable for mod clubs. And it's good, which is all that really matters.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

This is a great R&B record. I'd certainly give it a spin on my new radio show starting at 10pm next Wednesday on LifeFM London 103.6fm, or www.lifefm.org.uk. Blues, soul, jazz and some odds and sods too. Mick, mail me a call with your number fella.

scotchmartin@lifefm.org

Martin

wicked.gif

Social source share

Great tune.

Agree with the comment above that a lot of popcorn is classed as R&B these days.

This is proper full on R&B.

I'd play it alongside things like "Mean Ol' Frisco" by BB King, "Storm Warning" by Mac Rebbenack(Dr John), "Crazy Mixed Up World" by Little Walter and lots of other records that are too "proper" to be played out whistling.gif

Social source share

Not dissing Popcorn BTW, but it's not R&B. It's 60s pop with a good beat.

Its not all to do with 60s pop at all, its a scene that encompasses many different genres of 50s & 60s music including soul, R&B, ska, latin, teen + lots more...though the beat and tempo are more important to their scene than the genre its labelled by......

Some tunes played on the popcorn scene are quality soul and R&B tracks.

Social source share

Its not all to do with 60s pop at all, its a scene that encompasses many different genres of 50s & 60s music including soul, R&B, ska, latin, teen + lots more...though the beat and tempo are more important to their scene than the genre its labelled by......

Some tunes played on the popcorn scene are quality soul and R&B tracks.

..........................But some of the "Popcorn" is a bit poppy? :yes:

Sam Fletcher................Larry Trider..............Freddie Houston....................POPTASTIC :lol:

IS "KIM MELVIN" "doing the popcorn" ................is that played on the popcorn scene? whistling.gif

And who made up the name "popcorn" because the last time I heard "Sam Fletcher" he told me he was a "SOUL MAN" :yes: Popcorn "Wylie" was not sure :P

I Am joking! BUT what do you consider to be the "Top" "Popcorn" tunes at the moment? ............. Help me out with this?

What is Popcorn?.........................................Define it please? .........................I just called it Soul?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Ah yes, I remember hearing of a few ska things being played at nights in Belgium.

I'd totally forgotten about it, my apologies.

SKA in Belgium? GREAT :yes:

modified whistling.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

What you reckon - a bit too much of a blues record to be played as R&B?

Not even a good example of a either a Blues or RnB record surely? Bit nothingy I would have thought.

Social source share

What is Popcorn?.........................................Define it please? .........................I just called it Soul?

The name Popcorn originates from the original club where it all started, worth doing a google search for Belgium Popcorn and visiting a few sites.

Brief history review on link below (pdf file)

https://box44.bluehost.com/~popcorno/PDF/HistoriekENG.pdf

Edited by Mace
Social source share

The name Popcorn originates from the original club where it all started, worth doing a google search for Belgium Popcorn and visiting a few sites.

Brief history review on link below (pdf file)

https://box44.bluehost.com/~popcorno/PDF/HistoriekENG.pdf

Right...............................I see a bit more. I must admit to still being confused when references to "popcorn"

I have seen things like "Dianne Payne" Betty o Brian" "Sam Fletcher" etc, etc desribed as "popcorn" but to me they are just "Soul" records. I just always thourght "Popcorn" was a term to describe the early (white?) RnB type tunes.

I suppose you can't define "Northern Soul" its a term used to umbrella "The Scene" is'nt it? so "popcorn" is exactly the same and "a popcorn tune" is a tune that has been popular on that "scene" in the same way. I think I am getting It?

I was aware of the "Popcorn" Scene" if you like, and by all accounts they play all types of early (Soulful?) music at these events? I know I should get out more !

Nice that Blues tune Pete S

Edited by mossy
Social source share

The popcorn scene, like the mod scene and northern soul scenes, quite sensibly realised that a tune that they enjoyed and liked dancing to was more important than a tune that was authentic to some non-existant parameter of musical genre but fairly dull.

The popcorn scene just play what they like, seems a far more heartfelt and honest way to dictate your playlists than to get the 'black music' rule book out to trace an artist's ehnicity.

I have never had any idea about what the authenticity of a tune has to do with if you like it or not. I've actually heard of people selling records when they realise they're by white singers wanker.gif .

I guess some people are interested in genre collecting and the history and purity of that genre, some people are interested in music and therefore like a good tune. Some people perhaps both.

All scenes need parameters of what can be played, but that is dictated by the reaction on the dancefloors and consistancy of the sound over the course of a night, not some rule book.

A lot of popcorn records are by proper blues and R&B artists when they made better produced records in the late 50s and early 60s. i think they would have seen it as a progression of the style, not a pollution.

A lot of the early Motown records were very pop styled but don't seem to get so much criticism, I guess because they fall into another convenient catagory - 'soul'.

I mean, say Lamont Dozier 'Dearest One', it's a better track for him being a good soul singer, but I also like the tune, the groove and the arrangement, so if it was by a white artist, as in that style it could easily have been, i'd still like it.

This new black pop-R&B sound became so popular that a lot of mainstream white artists started copying it, often using the same orchestras and writers, often recording the same songs, so it's hard to separate which are authentic and which are not. And if they're good, who gives a f***?

If someone only likes the authentic R&B and blues sound then that's up to them. Personally I find a lot of trad R&B a bit formularic and samey, lacking hooks, good production and songwriting. But I don't slag it off as some sort of inferior form of R&B - some of it's good, some of it's shite like everything else.

I'd rather have a good groovy pop track than an average but authentic R&B or soul track, and I think most people in the clubs would too.

Sorry for the rant!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert