Gene Chandler

On the Major Lance thread Soulscene very rightly mentions how distinctive the Majors's 'reedy' vocals were.

This brought to mind another unique set of vocal chords- those of Gene Chandler.

Like Major Lance, Gene Chandler's breathy rasp (for want of a better expression) provides unique listening pleasure.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Gene_Chandl...od_Old_Days.ram

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

On the Major Lance thread Soulscene very rightly mentions how distinctive the Majors's 'reedy' vocals were.

This brought  to mind another unique set of vocal chords- those of Gene Chandler.

Like Major Lance, Gene Chandler's breathy rasp (for want of  a better expression) provides unique listening pleasure.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Gene_Chandl...od_Old_Days.ram

link

Great tune there Billy whistling.gif Apart from the obvious, a couple of fav's of mine by Gene are "Such a pretty Thing" and "I'm Just A Fool for You"

Steve

Social source share

"To Be A Lover" on Checker is a killer ballad! VERY soulful! The Duke of Earl himself signed the white blank label on the back of my one-sided promo back in 1991, along with one of my Dukays 45s.

For vocal delivery and interpretation, I've got to go with "Nothing Can Stop Me"

For dancing, it's got to be "Mr. Big Shot"

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Yes, Gene Chandler made so many good records. For a dancer, I'd go with "There was a time". This was the very first record that I heard ( although on refelection I perhaps knew his name from 'The Duke of Earl')

We can't blame Gene for milking the Duke of Earl persona for all its worth, but isn't it a really strong indictment of popular taste that a vocal stylist of Chandler's calibre is known to the world as a one hit novelty wonder!

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

After not attending allnighters for about 5 years I went to Stafford for the only time in 1984 and Gene was on. I expected him to do Duke and Get down and a few motown and 70's cover versions. How wrong could I be, I remember him being superb doing all his "Northern" stuff and getting some people on the stage to dance to There Was A Time. Definately a highlight.

Social source share

After not attending allnighters for about 5 years I went to Stafford for the only time in 1984 and Gene was on.  I expected him to do Duke and Get down and a few motown and 70's cover versions. How wrong could I be, I remember him being superb doing all his "Northern" stuff and getting some people on the stage to dance to There Was A Time.  Definately a highlight.

link

I believe that performers sing what the promoters ask them to. In Gene's case I rememebr reading somewhere that when he was hired to sing at a Northern do, he had totally forgotten that he had ever recorded some of the songs that he was askled to sing, and was convinced that the promoters had got him mixed up with another artist!

Can anyone confirm that story?

Social source share

Great tune there Billy  whistling.gif   Apart from the obvious, a couple of fav's of mine by Gene are "Such a pretty Thing" and "I'm Just A Fool for You"

Steve

link

Ye' love 'Such A pretty Thing'

Check out the flip of 'I'm just fool...'.........'Buddy Ain't It A Shame'..what a dancer!!!!!!!

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

One of the very best ever in my opinion not only do i love his distinctive vocal style i actually love records that have the feel of a Gene Chandler record.

Tough to choose favourites but "Nothing can stop me", "I can take care of myself", "There was a time", "Such a pretty thing" and a host of others................................................Eugene Dixon he de man!!!!

Trouty

Social source share

I believe that performers sing what the promoters ask them to. In Gene's case I rememebr reading somewhere that when he was hired to sing at a Northern do, he had totally forgotten that he had ever recorded some of the songs that he was askled to sing, and was convinced that the promoters had got him mixed up with another artist!

Can anyone confirm that story?

I doubt if that's an uncommon problem although some of the artists I've seen have given sensational performances nevertheless. Lorraine Chandler at Stafford a definite favourite (despite having Keb Darge as one of her back-up singers!) A friend of mine goes to 'rocking' events at places like Hemsby and he says they're always having to remind elderly artists of their back catalogue!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!