Odd Instruments In Soul Tracks, Oh Yes Theres A Few

Joto

• Replies 16
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Little Ann, The Smile On Your Face... what's that tap tap scrape sound? Sounds like a wash board :thumbsup:

Hey Karen, probably, she may have been doing the washing !! whenever i here that track i am going to think its a washboard now, :thumbsup:

Social source share

It does sound like it doesn't it! I was listening to this in the car today and kept cocking my ear thinking something needed replacing on the car ... a kind of metally scraping sound :thumbsup:

Social source share

Little Ann, The Smile On Your Face... what's that tap tap scrape sound? Sounds like a wash board :D

It could be a Guiro Karen...a South American rhythm instrument, a hollow gourd which you scrape with a stick.....can also be used as a washboard if your stuck (it says here :thumbsup: )...... :D

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Until around 1981, before they went blatantly commercial and shit, The Thompson Twins were a decent band. In their shows they carried a bizarre selection of percussion tools that they used to hand out to crowd members who they invited on to the stage towards the end of gigs. At one such gig I was at, at the Hammersmith Palais in 1981, they were excellent btw, I recall one bloke being handed a drum stick and a Morris Minor Hub Cap to play. As you can no doubt tell, I've lived a very exciting life.

(Actually I just noticed the thread was Instruments in Soul tracks, but what the hell, if it's good music it'll do me)

Edited by MARTIN SNOW
Social source share

Guest Kevin J

most certainly a guiro... having been a percussionist in my highschool jazz band, i have handled many a guiro. there are even some shaped as fun things like fishies and crickets.

crckt.jpg

It could be a Guiro Karen...a South American rhythm instrument, a hollow gourd which you scrape with a stick.....can also be used as a washboard if your stuck (it says here whistling.gif )...... :thumbsup:
Social source share

I had the same thing happen to me Mike... I'm very keen on the track 'Plain Brown Wrapper' (can't think who it is now ---King Diamond springs suddenly to mind) on a Charly album.

Then it was pointed out that someone is playing the spoons on it. I never heard it in quite the same way again.

Social source share

what about the records that have clapping in the background from start until the end .i thought some pour chap would have had very sour hands after 2.? mins .till someonetold mee it was a wheel with leather straps going around laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The Thompson Twins were when they first started out a punk/new wave band like Ultravox was but they soon changed and became more pop and rock. Ultravox went into New Romantics mixed with rock. they both got bigger with new sounds.

What about steel guitars i am sure maybe some used and it thinks of Ronnie Milsap who had done Northern soul yet went into country music

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Think the oddest instrument ive heard is 'Austrian or swiss cow bells' in Cajun Heart

or i drink too much

even odder is , it works :thumbsup: !!

Didn't Parliament use BAGPIPES on "Silent Boatman" (Hot Wax) ??? Top that!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!