Robert Thomas-salvation...was This Ever

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Original is YELLOW with GREEN print and two lines accross the label, anything else is a re-issue

I`m up for a debate,why!!they are all different takes/bands etc.....best version is by Rita Lee.

Social source share

not another conspiracy theories thread laugh.gif

Part of the conspiracy is that in 1972, Kentucky, Texas recording producer man Colonel Bill Sanders paid Ian Levine to go into the studio, in league with Frank Popp, a child prodigy who was four at the time, to make all these recordings. Steve Brookstein does all the vocals on every Charay or Le Cam release, apart from those by Pic and Bill, who are actually Frankie and Johnny, who are Frankie Howard and June Whitfield on the earlier releases, and Terry Scott (of The Scott Brothers and The Whispers, a group which included brothers Wally and Wally Scott of The Reflections and Tony Micheals who did the original version of '6X6' on the spoons) and June Whitfield (who's big hit 'The Human Race' was voiced by Junie Morrison of the Ohio Players who used to be The Ohio Untouchables, and Indian group of low caste and who's members at one time included Wilson Pickett (Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys brother) Eddie Floyd, (brother of King Floyd and Floyd Smith) Sir Mack Rice, who did the original version of The Blues Brothers 'Mustang Sally' (written of course about Sally Sagoe who is Jean Carn under another name) and "It Takes One To Know One" originally by Larry Grayson and Micheal Portillo)

All the records on Charay and Le Cam including the rare alternate Tony Micheals vocal of "6 X 6" on Musicor and earlier, Marks and Spencers and an obscure track by The Volumes called 'Lady in Red' (later cover by Chris Rea of The Ostriches) were released on the 'Pama' label which was named after the next door neighbour of the son of a friend of the Auntie of label owner Harry Palmer. No one has ever seen a copy of any of these records on Pama or heard any of them so they must be really good.

That all true that is. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Part of the conspiracy is that in 1972, Kentucky, Texas recording producer man Colonel Bill Sanders paid Ian Levine to go into the studio, in league with Frank Popp, a child prodigy who was four at the time, to make all these recordings. Steve Brookstein does all the vocals on every Charay or Le Cam release, apart from those by Pic and Bill, who are actually Frankie and Johnny, who are Frankie Howard and June Whitfield on the earlier releases, and Terry Scott (of The Scott Brothers and The Whispers, a group which included brothers Wally and Wally Scott of The Reflections and Tony Micheals who did the original version of '6X6' on the spoons) and June Whitfield (who's big hit 'The Human Race' was voiced by Junie Morrison of the Ohio Players who used to be The Ohio Untouchables, and Indian group of low caste and who's members at one time included Wilson Pickett (Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys brother) Eddie Floyd, (brother of King Floyd and Floyd Smith) Sir Mack Rice, who did the original version of The Blues Brothers 'Mustang Sally' (written of course about Sally Sagoe who is Jean Carn under another name) and "It Takes One To Know One" originally by Larry Grayson and Micheal Portillo)

All the records on Charay and Le Cam including the rare alternate Tony Micheals vocal of "6 X 6" on Musicor and earlier, Marks and Spencers and an obscure track by The Volumes called 'Lady in Red' (later cover by Chris Rea of The Ostriches) were released on the 'Pama' label which was named after the next door neighbour of the son of a friend of the Auntie of label owner Harry Palmer. No one has ever seen a copy of any of these records on Pama or heard any of them so they must be really good.

I knew there was more to it unsure.gif

Bloody hell Simon aint you got nothing better to do all day :lol::lol::yes::lol: bloody brilliant

Social source share

Great! LMAO!!!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Re: Whatever it is you're going on about I got one n' it's a minta n' stuff...

I had a Spanish copy of this record (insert title here...) on La Palma, which my parents bought for me as a new release, when I was minus 3 years old. IT WAS FIRST PLAYED AT BLACKPOOL MECCA, and anyone who says otherwise will be exterminated. I swapped it with Simon Soussan for the key to my happiness (which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment actually) in 1976. I believe Simon then sold it to ventriloquist act Russ Win and his dummy Stanley (of "Stop Sign" fame), who speeded it up and played it as "Viva Paloma Blanca (Soul)" by I-Should-El-Coco featuring Moses Smith & The Ten Commitments and released it on Crass-ino Classics in 1979 before selling the original to Kev Roberts (who later listed it as No.15,001 in the 'Northern Soul Top 500' and a bit Pt.1)

The record was due to be released on Pye Disco DeMode, but was eventually covered by a reformed Wigan's Ovation featuring Russ Win & Stanley with Frank Elson and featuring Soul Sam on tambourine and penny whistle. NO OTHER COPIES HAVE EVER TURNED UP (apart from the 150,000 that John Anderson still had in stock after Wigan closed in 1981). It was bootlegged on at least 12 different labels all being styrene apart from one facsimile promo copy in green dayglo vinyl stuff, which recently turned up on an auction site in....

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

...anyway... wink.gif

Do we know yet for sure which are 'originals and which are ..err.. not? (and what does 'original mean anyway in this case?)

I have the following -

Salvation - Robert Thomas with Six Feet under - Pale Green Charay G 100 (green lettering)

Salvation- The Men From Macon /White Charay C 100 (red lettering)

Salvation- Rita Lee / White Charay C 101 (red lettering)

There Must Be A Love Somewhere - Ede Robin with 98.6 /Le Cam LC310 ( sounds a bit dodgy)

I'm sure I have one on UK Crystal too but can't find it right now.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...anyway... wink.gif

Do we know yet for sure which are 'originals and which are ..err.. not? (and what does 'original mean anyway in this case?)

I have the following -

Salvation - Robert Thomas with Six Feet under - Pale Green Charay G 100 (green lettering)

Salvation- The Men From Macon /White Charay C 100 (red lettering)

Salvation- Rita Lee / White Charay C 101 (red lettering)

There Must Be A Love Somewhere - Ede Robin with 98.6 /Le Cam LC310 ( sounds a bit dodgy)

I'm sure I have one on UK Crystal too but can't find it right now.

In regard to Robert Thomas "Salvation" the yellow with green type Charay label is definitely the original issue as far as I'm aware. I seem to remember them being (legally?) re-issued on pastel coloured labels in 1975, following spins at the Mecca (of course) and the Ritz.

Incidently, "Tow-A-Way Zone" on UK Crystal sounds to me as though it was dubbed from a US vinyl copy! Is Ede Robin any better in quality?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!