Burnley Bank Hall Miners (was It?)

Barry

All Dayers - anyone remember these?

I may have the dates a little wrong as I normally do.

I did a bit myself at these with Sam, Ray Rose etc.

Bankhall Miners ran from August 1983 untill late 80s.I have the alldayer video for 1985,Think there were 3 or 4 Alldayers in total.

Social source share

QUOTE(Geoff B @ Apr 12 2007, 05:17 PM) 
Bankhall Miners ran from August 1983 untill late 80s.I have the alldayer video for 1985,Think there were 3 or 4 Alldayers in total.

Thanks for that fella - didn't realise there was a vid. thumbsup.gif
Social source share

QUOTE(Geoff B @ Apr 12 2007, 05:17 PM) link I have the alldayer video for 1985

hey up Geoff - is there any chance of you doing me a copy of this video please? I'll pay you for it. Here's hoping....derek

Hi Derek,

Sorry i haven't the right gear.

Social source share

I think the last 2 Alldayers we did (around 87/88) were washed out by weather if I remember correctly. The very last one may have been Easter or even Boxing Day when the weather just absolutely kyboshed everything. Lost a mint. (Unusual in Burnley as it was always a thriving soul community).

Highlights for me here were:

Tony Middleton - To The Ends Of The Earth - Polydor Demo

Sapphires - Got To Have Your Love - HMV Demo

Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On - MGM Demo

Mary Love - You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet - King

Ahh, Happy days ...not many wanted the UK stuff then.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the last 2 Alldayers we did (around 87/88) were washed out by weather if I remember correctly. The very last one may have been Easter or even Boxing Day when the weather just absolutely kyboshed everything. Lost a mint. (Unusual in Burnley as it was always a thriving soul community).

Highlights for me here were:

Tony Middleton - To The Ends Of The Earth - Polydor Demo

Sapphires - Got To Have Your Love - HMV Demo

Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On - MGM Demo

Mary Love - You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet - King

Ahh, Happy days ...not many wanted the UK stuff then.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Hi Dave,

If i remmember rightly you bought the Tony Middleton off me £200.

Geoff.

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Geoff B @ Apr 14 2007, 02:22 PM) link
Hi Dave,

If i remmember rightly you bought the Tony Middleton off me £200.

Geoff.

You are indeed correct Sir. Caused quite a stir with Fuse etc. HOW MUCH???!! being the general cry! Happy Days indeed! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Guest dave clifford

I seem to remember doing these ..Modern Soul Alldayers 1984 -86 Burnley and Pendle with Sam and Arthur ..I think Robin had a little ruckus about a certain record sale there too .. a distant memory thumbsup.gif

i remember the boxing days at the bank hall 84 85ish :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

I went there in the mid 80s after a couple of nighters, seemed a busy night what I can remember of it and the music policy was bang on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dave clifford

Dave I'm surprised you remember anything from then :D

Good Dayers though - I took a minibus there once which got broken into whistling.gif

i think you have got me mixed up with another dave :D

Social source share

• 5 years later...
Guest bankhallman

Just reading the threads to the bankhall miners, and people stating facts. so I need to correct some of these. (1) Bankhall Miners ran from Aug 1983 to nov 1992, and to dispose of any speculation there was a regular Alldayer every year on Boxing Day.

It was also a monthly evening event too, initially started due to a lack of local venue and proving to be a successful event for the whole of the time it was running, (or at least I don't recall any time when dispondency over took me anyway although I'm sure they'll be someone who would want that to be true) however I thoroughly enjoyed running it under the Burnley & Pendle Soul Club banner and the honest truth is that I'd do it all again without hesitation.

hope this will be helpful and not stand on any one of the coorespondents feet. good luck to you all

Pat Allen Burnley.

Social source share

Just reading the threads to the bankhall miners, and people stating facts. so I need to correct some of these. (1) Bankhall Miners ran from Aug 1983 to nov 1992, and to dispose of any speculation there was a regular Alldayer every year on Boxing Day.

It was also a monthly evening event too, initially started due to a lack of local venue and proving to be a successful event for the whole of the time it was running, (or at least I don't recall any time when dispondency over took me anyway although I'm sure they'll be someone who would want that to be true) however I thoroughly enjoyed running it under the Burnley & Pendle Soul Club banner and the honest truth is that I'd do it all again without hesitation.

hope this will be helpful and not stand on any one of the coorespondents feet. good luck to you all

Pat Allen Burnley.

Hi Pat,had some great times their,the modern room was always busy as was the Northern room.Think i done several spots in the modern room :) .

Can you remember selling me Eugene Smiley-"yes its you" for £15??

Regards Chris Huggins.

Social source share

I have a couple I transferred from videotape (thanx to Billy Foster) to DVD. Boxing day alldayer from 85 and August allnighter from 84. The alldayer is about 50 minutes long and Dave Moores tash figures prominently.....he looks like the resident slug-balancer.
Anyone wants a copy just let me know.
hatsoff2.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest colin brown

Remember travelling to the Bankhall Miners,from London.Took me bloody hours-but the Vibe was worth it.Sam and Arthur spinning Sounds that would never have got spun in London.I used to go into the Northern Room and enjoy that as well.Happy Days. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest bankhallman

Well, for all the speculations about when Bankhall ran from It was August 1983 to november 1992. and thats a fact I'm the guy who ran it !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

All Dayers - anyone remember these?

I may have the dates a little wrong as I normally do.

I did a bit myself at these with Sam, Ray Rose etc.

Well here goes again Bankhall Miners ran from August 1983 to November 1992, and thats fact 'cos I ran it !!!!!!!!!!! cheers for the speculation though.

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Look go to the proper Bankhall Miners site started by SoulSalmon and you'll get the gist of the truth and facts supplied correctly speculation, Oh and this is from as Dave put it on this new site A "Cardigan", and good luck to my fellow cardigans too cheers Pat Allen

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest bankhallman

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Geoff B @ Apr 12 2007, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that fella - didn't realise there was a vid. thumbsup.gifBankhall Miners ran from august 1983 to nov 1992 and there were 4/5 allnighters too but it was the alldayers on boxing day that were the highlight of the annual club events and there are a few Videos of these going around I have 2 which are being shown at the July 7th reunion mini dayer at the Mechanics Burnley.  Pat Allen.

Social source share

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing Rockie Robins at the Miners with another artist as support, can anyone confirm this and who was the support, please tell me I didn't dream it.Came across  my Burnley and Pendle membership card the other day,is it still valid?

Social source share

There is a Bankhall Miners reunion coming up in a few months. I doubt Junior Walker will be flying in for a second visit. He let a lot of people down that night despite being offered a cheque to meet his fee. However, it was still a magic night with a great main room and magic modern room too..

Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest bankhallman

My Dear Julie,

Maybe I should quickly try and explain the mess I was placed in from the Jnr Walker night. see initially it was suggedted to have a major star on at the club on the suggestion of the steward and he made the enquiries and made the very preliminary booking this was to be confirmed  2 weeks before he was due to appear. but you see I was due to go on a record buying trip to Washington D.C. for a month so I told the steward that not to confirm till I got back or when they had received enough tickets sold to cover the cost, he was supposedly assisted by an ex mate of mine but solid bankhall miners regular Mick  (sorry can't recall his surname) from Colne. whilst away they were apparently contacted 2/3 times by the London Agent to confirm the booking or cancel, however they went ahead and booked without me knowing (idiots) and when I got back I was put in the proverbial with less than a week to try and get sales up for the cost (IMPOSSIBLE). and you know the rest is history. those clowns made a complete hash of it and I had to try and sort it all out made my life a bleedin' misery for several weeks after and yes his fee was covered fully but the female who accompanied him stirred up the crap consequently the sad affair balls my life up. hope this makes things a little clearer. :g: :P :thumbsup: :D :D :excl: :excl:

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing Rockie Robins at the Miners with another artist as support, can anyone confirm this and who was the support, please tell me I didn't dream it.Came across  my Burnley and Pendle membership card the other day,is it still valid?

Twoshoes, Pat Allen here and if your dreams will allow I am the fella who ran the Miners for nearly 10 yrs. and I can confirm that it was only a dream you had because Rocky Robbins was never on at the Miners. sorry but sadly you're very wrong. hope this helps you bud.

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Ive uploaded the vid on YouTube...just type in bankhall miners.

Well done wiggyflat hope you thoroughly enjoy it just put on your dancing shoes and blow it away bud.

Social source share

Guest bankhallman

Hi Pat,had some great times their,the modern room was always busy as was the Northern room.Think i done several spots in the modern room smile.png .

Can you remember selling me Eugene Smiley-"yes its you" for £15??

Regards Chris Huggins.

Yes Chris I can very hazely recall my buying several sounds back then what a club it was running it was a pleasure really thanks pal.

Social source share

Yes Chris I can very hazely recall my buying several sounds back then what a club it was running it was a pleasure really thanks pal.

Great times Pat!I have a tape of one of my spots in modern room.Playing stuff like Chosen Few Band,Luther Davis(sold to keb years later) and Herby Brown.

Nigel Parker had some great records back then also(where he is now?).

ATB Chris.

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

Twoshoes, Pat Allen here and if your dreams will allow I am the fella who ran the Miners for nearly 10 yrs. and I can confirm that it was only a dream you had because Rocky Robbins was never on at the Miners. sorry but sadly you're very wrong. hope this helps you bud.

Cheers Pat,I remember you ,I used to come with John known as Mac and Karen McCarthy who are still out and about but on the modern scene,don't know if you remember them, my memory obviously isn't up to scratch but I do remember seeing someone at the Miners,I seem to recall it being a one off and being packed to the rafters, please don't tell me I dreamt that too.

Social source share

Pat Allen Burnley.

We still talk about the night 4 of us came from Norwich - must have been 1984. Made a weekend of it with Ritz and Wigan Niter - 30 years ago...fantastic memories...Hi Pat, hope you're well and all the best for 2015...Mark C :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

I used to really like the venue from 83 to 85. Especially the modern room at All Dayers. It was really good time for danceable Modern.  

Social source share

whatever happened to ivor allen ???

Funny you should mention that name I asked the same question while chatting with Geoff Buckley at Stubshaw on Saturday I always found Ivor a good lad.

A big hello to Pat Allen I hope your well mate & do you remember the Inter-Soul club North?

Social source share

• 6 years later...

On 28/12/2014 at 18:42, Guest bankhallman said:

Hi. Rockie Robbins did appear at the Bank Hall Miners. I was there and took this picture. 

Rockie Robbins Bank Hall Miners.jpg

Edited by Pete R
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 8 months later...
On 07/01/2014 at 23:16, Twoshoes said:

It was Lew Kirton

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/12/2014 at 17:05, Trev Thomas said:

whatever happened to ivor allen ???

Not heard recently but last seen in his home town of Bradford Yorks driving around in a volvo estate with exhaust pipe scraping on the road from the weight of record boxes piled in the back, a big stocky friendly guy with afro hair and chiselled tash, long time respected dealer with many a bargain may i add, Top fella.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!