Couldn't You Just Kick Yourself Sometimes?

jazzyjas

Ever have those times where you look back and feel like kicking yourself for not buying certain records?

My big three "pass-ups"

1. Pyramid-Soul Brothers, Inc. - on Craig Moerer's lists for a whopping $100 years ago. yes.gif

2. Quicksand-Kell Osbourne - Could have bought a mint demo of this and a mint demo of "Ain't That Just Like a Woman" by Doug Banks...$250 for the pair :D

3. Steinways-$30 for a VG styrene issue in an Oliver sleeve. Three years later-$40 for a VG+ vinyl demo. Both times, I wanted to hold out for a better copy. :angry:

Let these go different times during the early 90s:

1. The Big Change-Anna King - had a mint copy and let it go for who knows what.

2. Hit and Run Lover-Sonnetts-K.O. - had an almost unplayed copy. Barely got anything for it.

3. Promise Me-A Group Called Us - don't remember if this was good or not.

4. Time Was-Chosen Lot on Sidra - another one-don't remember the sound.

Well, at least I didn't let anything major or really good go (except Anna King). But OH! the stuff I passed up! It's enough to make you sick! :D

Share a story or two about those times-that is if you can stand the pain! :lol:

KTF

Jas

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Leigh J

Ever have those times where you look back and feel like kicking yourself for not buying certain records?

My big three "pass-ups"

1. Pyramid-Soul Brothers, Inc. - on Craig Moerer's lists for a whopping $100 years ago. yes.gif

2. Quicksand-Kell Osbourne - Could have bought a mint demo of this and a mint demo of "Ain't That Just Like a Woman" by Doug Banks...$250 for the pair :D  

3. Steinways-$30 for a VG styrene issue in an Oliver sleeve. Three years later-$40 for a VG+ vinyl demo. Both times, I wanted to hold out for a better copy. :angry:

Let these go different times during the early 90s:

1. The Big Change-Anna King - had a mint copy and let it go for who knows what.

2. Hit and Run Lover-Sonnetts-K.O. - had an almost unplayed copy. Barely got anything for it.

Well, at least I didn't let anything major or really good go (except Anna King). But OH! the stuff I passed up! It's enough to make you sick! :D

Share a story or two about those times-that is if you can stand the pain! :lol:

KTF

Jas

link

I Sold 'Paul Varisco' On Kapp For A Tenner At Bretby Not All That Long Ago Realy,Thats All It Was Worth Anyway Crap

Social source share

Thats not rare but it always knackered

That one is utter rubbish, a real mess of a record which never caught on

This is more like a garage sound and is pretty awful

I sold Lou Ragland on Amy for £5 and Lenny Curtis on End for £5, both in the 80's. :D

link

Social source share

The biggest one I passed up was at Bradford Queens Hall, Tina Roberts One Way Or The Other (Security). Pete Lawson offered it to me for either £60 or £100 yes.gif can't remember which. Try finding one now :D

Was happy though at the time with what I'd spent my money on so can't grumble :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

link

This is out and out garage / psych. I can never understand why it gets listed as Northern. :D Got one somewhere. If you want it I'll swap it for a nice cheapie.

Godz

Social source share

A bloke at Placemate Seven Allnighter in Manchester many moons ago now had Matt Lucas - You Better Go - Go in one hand and Moses Dillard and The Dynamic Showmen - I'll Pay The Price in the other both for £40.00 each........what was i to do as i only had enough cash on me for one? so i went for the Moses Dillard which i still have, never seen at Matt Lucas for sale to this day, good choice i feel but frustrating at the time, still i'm the man that sold Eric Mercury on Sac for £95.00 at Stafford.........I'll get my coat.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

UK issue of Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You on Stax.

Thought to myself at the time "Oh I've got this on the Album, I'll buy this boot of 'World Without Sunshine' instead"

Do'h

Price of this little Gem at the time? £6.00

Double Do'h.

Mind you cant complain as of the same dealer I got a couple of Major Lance Okeh 45s (signed by him) @ £4 each, Moses Smith 'Girl' Orig @ £7, Lee Rogers 'Sock Some Love Power' @ £3, The United 4 'She's Puttin You On' Orig @ £1.50...... Plus a stack of others that I forget.....

WOOF!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Don Gardner "Cheatin' kind" at Soul Bowl for £100

2 copies of Bob and Fred at a well known Florida dealers for $4 each...

Thought it sounded awful. Went back 6 months later and they were still there, only picked them up as it was on Nigel Parker's wants list at the time. If ever there was an over rated record.......

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My night of shame was the first niter at Hinckley, when they moved the venue over the road. Anyone else on here go? We turned up at the original hall, and it was in darkness. After a few minutes panic we were told about the change of venue by a Scot lad dealing outside the old venue.

I had the princely sum of ten quid left after entry. I looked at one guys box, in there, all for £8 were the Ascots - Another day, Frankie Beverley - If thats what you wanted, on Sassy, and Anthony and the Aqua lads - I remember.

What did I plump for?? A mock up acetate of Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover. Possibly the only time in my life I have ever regretted buying a Marvin record :lamsey:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!