Best Major Or Big Label Northern Soul

jazzyjas

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I voted for Decca just for old times sake. I used to collect Decca promos in the 70s much to the consternation of my pals who said that there were much better ones to go for. I just really liked the pink demos and having Johnny Caswell, Connie Questell, Earl Grant, Joey heatherton, Patrick Bradley etc all next to each other looked pretty cool. Slightly spoiled by Pennygold being yellow :D

Oddly enough, the toughest one to get on a promo was Danny White - Cracked Up Over You. Took me bloody ages.

Ahh, happy days.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Danny White-Cracked Up Over You

You know? I just got that one on a pink demo at the scooter rally in Las Vegas back in Feb. 2003 for $30 in a Decca sleeve. Man that thing looked UNPLAYED! Very pleased with that purchase.

Got it from Thumbsy: ex-pat living in LA, originally from Norwich (Back Street Soul Club) he used to spin records with Keith Slater.

You know those guys?

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Danny White-Cracked Up Over You

You know? I just got that one on a pink demo at the scooter rally in Las Vegas back in Feb. 2003 for $30 in a Decca sleeve. Man that thing looked UNPLAYED! Very pleased with that purchase.

Got it from Thumbsy: ex-pat living in LA, originally from Norwich (Back Street Soul Club) he used to spin records with Keith Slater.

You know those guys?

KTF

Jas

link

Not me. But in the words of the song "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" Still got my copy of DW though. Pity about the rest of the Decca stuff mind you... :D

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I voted for Decca just for old times sake. I used to collect Decca promos in the 70s much to the consternation of my pals who said that there were much better ones to go for. I just really liked the pink demos and having Johnny Caswell, Connie Questell, Earl Grant, Joey heatherton, Patrick Bradley etc all next to each other looked pretty cool. Slightly spoiled by Pennygold being yellow :lamsey:

Oddly enough, the toughest one to get on a promo was Danny White - Cracked Up Over You. Took me bloody ages.

Ahh, happy days.

Godz

link

Can just imagine you turning down an issue of Patrick Bradley to have a pink demo :lol:

who cares if it's got the vocal on both sides, I'm 'avin' it

Social source share

Can just imagine you turning down an issue of Patrick Bradley to have a pink demo  :lol:

who cares if it's got the vocal on both sides, I'm 'avin' it

link

Close Pete.

I bought the demo and found to my dismay it was vocal both sides. However I got half my money back (£15) and later picked up an issue with the Inst.

I was, however, sufficently sad to place the issue at the back of the box, thus keeping all the nice pink ones together. I also swapped my Connie Questell issue with demonstration stamp for Tim Ashibende's pink promo. He also said I was daft as the issue was rarer but I was driven by completism and asthetic beauty. (well that's how I justify it anyway :lamsey: )

Godz

Social source share

Awake 502, see my other poll to vote on the Okeh label.

Godz-I picked up an issue of Connie Questell after a lady called me about records from picking up my flyer in a local laundromat. WOW! What a double sider! I was thrilled about that find. The issue on Joey Heatherton is pretty hard to find as well.

About the Danny White, I wasn't suggesting that you might have been the one that sold it to me, just wondering if you happened to know any of those Norwich guys.

I'm a completist freak weirdo too on some stuff, too. I'm close to having nearly all of the Tamla globe labels.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Jazzy for me mate it is one of those unanswerable questions (sorry :yes: )

so many to choose from....is it Brunswick.....is it Bell......Capitol.....

OKeh........ :shhh: ...see what i mean...good thread though it has me thinking............ what about Duke :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!