Unsung Soul Artists Or Groups

Craig W

Been thinking about this today while listening to some Barbara Mercer tracks and can't understand why with such a fantastic voice she never was one of the major stars.I know politics played a major part in things but some artists never had the recognition they fully deserved.

Heres a few with tremendous voices that should of made it big but didn't for some some reason or other.

Jack Montgomery.

Frank Polk.

Little Ann.

Who else in your opinion never got the recognition they deserved?

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Darrow fletcher (another child prodigy) and JJ barnes should have been household names

not just revered in the soul scene.

As should

Paul Sindab

Roy Hamilton (just listen to his voice on "let the music play"...outstanding)

blimey because this scene thrives on an underground, unknown, & rarity nature there are too many brilliant artists to mention

Geoooordie :lamsey:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I cant see why Barbara Lynn wasnt as famous as Aretha or Diana. I would say she has a far better voice than Ms Ross, and had just as much soul as Aretha.

This is the thanks I get, should have been a multi million world wide mega hit. But luckily for us it wasnt, and even better, it is still a nice cheapie.

Social source share

I cant see why Barbara Lynn wasnt as famous as Aretha or Diana. I would say she has a far better voice than Ms Ross, and had just as much soul as Aretha.

This is the thanks I get, should have been a multi million world wide mega hit. But luckily for us it wasnt, and even better, it is still a nice cheapie.

link

Totally agree.........blinding

Geooordie :lamsey:

Social source share

Being a huge male vocal group fan i would have to say bands like The Volumes, Falcons, Metros, Hesitations, Volcanos, Artistics and others who made some outstanding records to little or no commercial success, still must have been hard for these groups when you had The Temptations, Four Top, Driters etc. on the same block releasing hit after hit, perhaps with a little more luck, financial backing and promotion many of our scenes artists would have rivaled the big hitters as they certainly had the talents to do so just not the lucky breaks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Being a huge male vocal group fan i would have to say bands like The Volumes, Falcons, Metros, Hesitations, Volcanos, Artistics and others who made some outstanding records to little or no commercial success, still must have been hard for these groups when you had The Temptations, Four Top, Driters etc. on the same block releasing hit after hit, perhaps with a little more luck, financial backing and promotion many of our scenes artists would have rivaled the big hitters as they certainly had the talents to do so just not the lucky breaks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Thats partially why I plumped for Barbara Lynn. She was, for a while, at one of the premier labels in the world at that time. Although marketed at the black American public, Atlantic had a world wide appeal. So I find it surprising that someone with as good a voice as BL has, didnt get more recognition.

Love the Metros lead singer's voice. It has the "glass in the throat" type of pain that Rod Stewart and Bonnie Tyler can only dream about. :lamsey:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

It was also true Mark (though not with some of the examples you cite which were in many instances originating groups / groups that started in the late 50s etc) that often groups were created specifically to try to emulate the Tops, Temps etc. In so many cases what they did was actually superior (as well as giving us the records we treasure today).

For sheer rip off and production excellence I'd still have to go with the Incredibles - There's nothing else to say, which still sounds excellent despite so obviously blagging the "Reach Out" break.

Social source share

Been thinking about this today while listening to some Barbara Mercer tracks and can't understand why with such a fantastic voice she never was one of the major stars.I know politics played a major part in things but some artists never had the recognition they fully deserved.

Heres a few with tremendous voices that should of made it big but didn't for some some reason or other.

Jack Montgomery.

Frank Polk.

Little Ann.

link

The five Stairsteps were supposed to be the rivals to the Jackson 5 and never made stardom but IMO were infinately better and more diversive :lamsey:

Social source share

The Masqueraders could out-sing many of the big names. If you listen to "Do you love me?" it seems to me that they were after a Four Tops kind of sound there. But they get something very special. Was it just too raw or not promoted properly?

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Masquer...ove_Me_Baby.ram

link

Easy answer this one Billy....

Not on MOTOWN like The Four Tops.... or another "biggie" sort after type "label" that had the sound of it's day.... "fools" I say.... "fools" :yes::P ....

Playing into "our" hands though :yes: .... so can't complain too much :shhh: ....

Social source share

Jack Montgomery.

Frank Polk.

Little Ann.

link

Intersting points Craig, but for me their true recognition (not in a monetry sense) has been fully recognised, on an artistic level by people like me and you and many, many others. I can't think of any other mainstream artist dead or alive that can command devotees to travel regulary up and down this country (and abroad) to listen, dance and truly appreciate the legacy of their work especially in some cases 40 years after their recordings were cut. Diana Ross for all her success (and millions) would love the adulation of virtually all these singers/musicians that we hold so dear.

Social source share

Intersting points Craig, but for me their true recognition (not in a monetry sense) has been fully recognised, on an artistic level by people like me and you and many, many others. I can't think of any other mainstream artist dead or alive that can command devotees to travel regulary up and down this country (and abroad) to listen, dance and truly appreciate the legacy of their work especially in some cases 40 years after their recordings were cut. Diana Ross for all her success (and millions) would love the adulation of virtually all these singers/musicians that we hold so dear.

link

Agree with you totally in what you are saying Brett but a lot of these artists who never made the big time died penniless and deserved greater rewards for their talents .

Daryl Banks did'nt even have a headstone on his grave until recently and Little Anne died while waiting for a liver transplant just to name a couple.

Just a tragic shame a lot more of these did'nt make the big time but thats life I suppose.

Edited by CRAIG W
Social source share

Agree with you totally in what you are saying Brett but a lot of these artists who never made the big time died penniless and deserved greater rewards for their talents .

Daryl Banks did'nt even have a headstone on his grave until recently and Little Anne died while waiting for a liver transplant just to name a couple.

Just a tragic shame a lot more of these did'nt make the big time but thats life I suppose.

link

Yes Craig i also agree totally with you, anyone who excels in their chosen field should be rewarded in the customary manner (ie financially), it is indeed one of lifes mysterys why so many of these wonderful artists never got that type of reward.

Brett

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Was gonna mention The Volumes mesell Mark! truelly outstanding, esp. with Eddie Union on lead! I kno he left before the Twirl, Impact an Inferno stuff but was bak late 60's for "Aint Gonna Give You Up" and was there for the Am Arts pair (ace tracks!) I got an Acapella cut by em "You Put a Spell On Me" and vocally... it's AWESOME! well it is in my humble...

steve

Social source share

Love "Aint gonna give you up".  Like"I just can't help myself' too by the Volumes - very Major Lancish the last one. Were the singers the same on both records?

link

Eddie Union was lead in 65 on "I Just Cant Help Myself" I kno he left the group an various others done lead.. Larry Wright on their Twirl cut "Maintain Your Cool" an Gerald Mathis on the Impact outing "That Same Old feeling" but he came back after their Inferno stuff in 68, Mind playin em side by side, the lead does sound different! Wasn't "Aint Gonna Give You Up" cut early 71? anyone know?

Volumes were one ov them groups that IMO never cut a bad record!

Steve

Social source share

Jack Montgomery.

Frank Polk.

Little Ann.

link

Dee Dee Sharp - awesome vocal

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!