Eddie Parker & Lorraine Chandler

For some reason couldn't make Stafford for the Sat. niter.

Went to the warm up in Darlington on the Fri. night. Travelled down from Jockland myself to a very poorly supported niter but one in which everyone had a great time at.

Could someone please tell me the name of the venue as this is doing my head in !!!

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Jamesy, I think it was called something like The Durlia or delia club.

I was 16 years old and only been to a few allnighters before that night, also the first live acts i'd seen. Was it Chris King who introduced the acts and mentioned that it was a poor turn out for two Detroit legends. He was pissed off that another soul night was on in Newcastle the same night.

Much better turn out the following night at Stafford. 1985, was it really twenty years ago. Memories i'll never forget.

I found this soundbite a few months back of Eddie Parker singing "I'm Gone" at stafford. Check it out, sounds amazing.

https://freespace.virgin.net/mark.e.jones/E...20live!.htm

Tomo

Social source share

The venue was the Dolphin Centre - Eddie Parker was crap at Stafford and Darlington (leopard skin tarzan number !!) Lorraine Chandler was much better . Nevertheless , two Detroit icons that can do no wrong in my eyes .

Jamesy,  I think it was called something like The Durlia or delia club.

I was 16 years old and only been to a few allnighters before that night, also the first live acts i'd seen. Was it Chris King who introduced the acts and mentioned that it was a poor turn out for two Detroit legends. He was pissed off that another soul night was on in Newcastle the same night.

Much better turn out the following night at Stafford. 1985, was it really twenty years ago. Memories i'll never forget.

I found this soundbite a few months back of Eddie Parker singing "I'm Gone" at stafford. Check it out, sounds amazing.

Tomo

link

Social source share

lorraine Chandler stole the show at Stafford, came out from the wings singing "tell me your mine" and the hairs stood up on the back of your neck ! eddie was filling the show up with soul classics (knock on wood) both were excellent at Vauxhall weekender. see if they've still got it at Prestatyn in march, by the way can anyone name all the backing singers at Stafford, Rob Marriott, danny Everade, a young Butch ? maybe Keb ? i think there were 5 in all !!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

lorraine Chandler stole the show at Stafford, came out from the wings singing "tell me your mine" and the hairs stood up on the back of your neck ! eddie was filling the show up with soul classics (knock on wood) both were excellent at Vauxhall weekender. see if they've still got it at Prestatyn in march, by the way can anyone name all the backing singers at Stafford, Rob Marriott, danny Everade, a young Butch ? maybe Keb ? i think there were 5 in all !!

link

Wasnt Dave Evison up there?

Does anyone remember Dennis Lee from Gloucester getting up on stage with Gene Chandler, and gene just stops to watch Dennis dance? :yes:

Social source share

I didn't think Eddie Parker was too bad at Stafford -

definitely a LOT better than he was at Gt. Yarmouth!!!

Lorraine Chandler was certainly outstanding!

Gotta say one of the best nighter's i've ever been to that one!

and didn't he sing THE INSPIRATIONS - YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND

that night?

and yes i remember Danny and co on stage!!

Not too sure how good they sounded but definitely 10/10 for sheer entertainment!!

Social source share

Jamesy,  I think it was called something like The Durlia or delia club.

Tomo

link

Tomo

You are correct, the venue in Darlington was definately called "The Durlia", its now a nightclub called The Lounge.

I remember the night very well, its not every day that a couple of detroit soul legends perform live in a place like Darlo.

Eddie was exactly as he is on record :- gritty, snarling, soulfulness personified. Lorraine was very nervous at first but soon got in the swing, she was really polished and professional, the pair of them were totally amazing.

The place was only half full, but everyone there had a night that they'll never forget.

Eddie signed my green A copy of "love you baby" on the night, it still holds a special place in my collection.

How you doing tomo, mate , see you at the next cumby? Gaz Simon

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

For some reason couldn't make Stafford for the Sat. niter.

Went to the warm up in Darlington on the Fri. night. Travelled down from Jockland myself to a very poorly supported  niter but one in which everyone had a great time at.

Could someone please tell me the name of the venue as this is doing my head in !!!

link

Advert from Echoes.....

darlington.bmp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!