Last Threee Before Eight

Back in the day every all nighter that I went to no matter where it was always ended with the same three records that we all know and love :lamsey:

Would anyone like to see a return to this and if so what are your suggestions for the 3 records to end all soul nights and all nighters, or is that sort of thing considered old hat, now that we have grown up and moved on.

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Back in the day every all nighter that I went to no matter where it was always ended with the same three records that we all know and love :lamsey:

Would anyone like to see a return to this and if so what are your suggestions for the 3 records to end all soul nights and all nighters, or is that sort of thing considered old hat, now that we have grown up and moved on.

link

Great to see Robbo play Guitar Ray last tune at the Orwell the other month,i think that should be official...Also i would have Betty Lavette.."let me down easy" and Aretha."Don't let me lose that dream"...That would have me in dream land..

Social source share

link

============

Personally I think Toby Legend should be played, but I also like to hear the drifter near the end of the night. Probably we've all diversified so much that we'd never agree which 3 should be played. For instance I thought the record Pete put up recently "Stop the clock" would make a perfect ender.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I think the idea of the original 3 before 8 is a great tradition and tribute to northern soul, but there are a lot of great enders out there. Perhaps each venue/club would have it's own tradition, based on their crowd. I once heard Jo Wallace say that they had a few standard enders at TOS. Don't remeber which ones, though. At the LA Weekender, "Wash and Wear Love" by Lynn Varnardo was played and it really gave me new found appreciation for that one.

I think "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" Belita Woods, "Lightin' Up" Ty Karim on Romark, "Just Say Goodbye" Esther Phillips and Barbara Lynn "Is This the Thanks I Get" by Barbara Lynn would be killer enders. Sure those have been done before. I'd love to have the whole room clapping along to Barbara Lynn. It's such a killer tempo and a nice builder.

That would never go over well here in the states. It's mostly mods who think they're too cool for school. Somebody from the states PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm so jaded by the lack of a scene (and good taste) over here. (Sorry for the rant.) You guys are luck over there.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

I think the idea of the original 3 before 8 is a great tradition and tribute to northern soul, but there are a lot of great enders out there. Perhaps each venue/club would have it's own tradition, based on their crowd. I once heard Jo Wallace say that they had a few standard enders at TOS.

======SNIP======

KTF

Jas

link

===========

Jo always ends with 'make sure' dells

Social source share

I think the idea of the original 3 before 8 is a great tradition and tribute to northern soul, but there are a lot of great enders out there. Perhaps each venue/club would have it's own tradition, based on their crowd. I once heard Jo Wallace say that they had a few standard enders at TOS. Don't remeber which ones, though. At the LA Weekender, "Wash and Wear Love" by Lynn Varnardo was played and it really gave me new found appreciation for that one.

I think "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" Belita Woods, "Lightin' Up" Ty Karim on Romark, "Just Say Goodbye" Esther Phillips and Barbara Lynn "Is This the Thanks I Get" by Barbara Lynn would be killer enders. Sure those have been done before. I'd love to have the whole room clapping along to Barbara Lynn. It's such a killer tempo and a nice builder.

That would never go over well here in the states. It's mostly mods who think they're too cool for school. Somebody from the states PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm so jaded by the lack of a scene (and good taste) over here. (Sorry for the rant.) You guys are luck over there.

KTF

Jas

link

"This is the thanks i get"...What a choooooooooooooon..Its great that this kind of stuff can be on a playlist at the 100 club at anytime of the night...Good choice indeed....Are them soul people over there still wanting 150mph all the way...

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

link

I' d go for Roy Hamailton Panic is on - Jerry Butler - Strawberries -

and WalterJackson - after you........

That would slow the buggers down !!!!!

Social source share

I ended the Soulsville 1st anniversary with Isley Bros 'Harvest For The World'.

A bit cheesy I know, but it had the whole place singing and quite a few people said it worked and that they'd never heard it played at a Northern night before.

Mick Smith dropped in Marvin & Tammi @ the 100 anniversary which went down really well.

Soul Bros Inc 'Pyramid', George Smith 'I've Had It' and Odds & Ends 'Let Me Try' would do for me at the mo'.

Although I'd like to hear 'California Montage' again to finish off. I think it's just perfect to finish with. The Mecca got it spot on with that IMVHO.

Social source share

"Are them soul people over there still wanting 150mph all the way... "

It's been my experience that they go for generic themes/phrases like "Sock it to Me" "Boogaloo" "Get On Down" or whatever the hell and they can't actually dance to stuff that's too fast. Really gimmicky generic soul is what people want. I call them "workout" records. Don't get me wrong-I like the odd one of those type here and there, like "Downtown Soulville" by Chuck Edwards, "Sock It" Bobby Sax, and "Do It" by Billy Sha-Re, but most of the stuff people go for over here rarely appeals to anyone's sense of emotion. People in the states are, for the most part, playing dress-up and want to feel like they're in a groovy go-go or something.

That's why I said you guys are lucky. When I was at LA and they played Marvin "When I Feel the Need" and the whole floor was clapping, there was a bond with the people on the dancefloor and I felt it. It was very earthy. People over here would think that was corny and throw on some "44 Corners Boogaloo Shingaling" record.

Pisses me off!

KTF

Jas

Social source share

I heard you finished the anniversary under a table,any truth???Harvest for the world is a nice choice...I finished a set with Four Tops "if i were a carpenter at an October soul night and the place went wild...

link

OOOh lies!!!! I'm a machine, Stevie - you know that :lamsey::lol:

My teacher at school told me "Drunk, fat & Stupid is no way to get through life" but I'm giving it a bloody good go!!! :lol:

Social source share

dublin nights usually end on something teary like Baby I Need Your Loving, then Danny sneaks back on the decks when the lights go up & plays something fast like Change Your Ways. hehehe.

it does me head in when a nighter ends on a slow tune, I'd prefer to give it loads to the last song & then collapse in a heap :lamsey: .

lots of pretty tunes mentioned above though !

ps Mr Cato I've booked my flight for your birthday bash - see you at NCSC - cant wait!

Social source share

dublin nights usually end on something teary like Baby I Need Your Loving, then Danny sneaks back on the decks when the lights go up & plays something fast like Change Your Ways. hehehe.

it does me head in when a nighter ends on a slow tune, I'd prefer to give it loads to the last song & then collapse in a heap :lamsey: .

lots of pretty tunes mentioned above though !

ps Mr Cato I've booked my flight for your birthday bash - see you at NCSC - cant wait!

link

========

Is DD coming as well? ;-)))))

Winnie:-)

Social source share

When I used to dabble a bit DJing round Plymouth in the late 70s and 80s I used to finish with Betty Lavettes version of "Almost".  I preferred it to Jimmy Delphs, but both are awsome.

Paul

link

I like Betty's better than Jimmy's too :lol: Played this as an ender myself a few times, also 'This Is The Thanks I Get'. Being a big fan of the female vocal, two others I've had in those last few slowies are Patti Labelle - All Or Nothing, and Jackie de Shannon - Be Good Baby.

Can't think of a definitive end-of-the-night last three at the moment though.... :lamsey:

Social source share

This is the thanks I get is a brilliant choice. One of my favoiurite records ever. I had a mint demo on my list 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe no-one bought it til I reduced it to £20. Tight gits :angry:

some great enders that deserve a listen are:

the blossoms - stand by - bell (uk pama)

the ster phonics - don't leave me - mas tok

ray pollard - let him go and let me love you - ua

and what about

little anthony - hurt so bad

Social source share

Guest kermack

My three in this order

Ray Pollard 'It's a sad thing'

Baby Washington 'It'll never be over for me'

Walter Jackson 'After you there can be nothing'

ahhhhhhhhh.......

Social source share

Nice thread, in my days as Allanton last hour dj (Jim knew I was certain to clear everyone out before the end) I must admit I indulged myself and played some very slow stuff not just as enders, despite maximum heckling from Glenrothes posse. However 1st year ender was always Esther Phillipsor OJays, like every nighter at that time, decided to be a bit different and played 4 Tops - Ask The Lonely. Actually went down a storm and is it probably in my top 1 it fair warmed my heart! :lamsey:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

When I used to run soul nights in sunny Scarborough I always ended with Earl Van Dyke - All For You. It sort of became our club anthem. It's also written into my will that it gets played as I slip into the firey furnace.

Yes, I love it that much.

Don't want to start an old arguement, but what a top SOUL tune. :yes:

Godz

Social source share

Mine would change dependent on the crowd / venue etc, but if had to pick 3:

No One There - Martha Reeves

It's Over - Funkmasters

My Ship is Coming In / After You Can There Can Be Nothing / It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom - Walter Jackson (Any 1 of those!)

Sam

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Steering clear of the Roy Hamilton's, Kurt Harris's, Ruby Andrews, et al these would be

3 females first

Mala - Pearl Woods - I'm gonna stick with you.

Solid Hit - Pat Lewis - The loser.

Tower - Sherry & The Inverts - I was made to love you.

3 males

Rotate - Big Dee Irwin - You satisfy my needs.

MGM - King Williams - Fight for your girl.

RCA Victor - Brook Benton - Where does a man go to cry.

Al

Social source share

Back in the day every all nighter that I went to no matter where it was always ended with the same three records that we all know and love :yes:

link

Three from me to end the night would be......................

Ray Paige "Don't Stop Now"

Marcelino &Larson "Bittersweet"

and finally..

HB Barnum "Gotta Go"

Ray Paige an HB probs well known but "Bittersweet" probs not... stuck it on post in case anyone interested...

Steve..... "sucker for them "beat ballads"

Social source share

In recent times i've been ending my spot with Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back ( Alfa ) in hope that i will be back sometime soon, great record, perfect tempo to finish a set or a venue come to think of it.

Tradition is hard to break and the' three before eight' thing is legendary to the scene but i can think of many records that are perfect to close a session, i always remember Walter Jackson's 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone' being the last tune played at the St Ives allnighters years ago.

I tend to agree that Ester Phillips - 'Just Say Goodbye' pretty much say's it all really, good thread this.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mine would change dependent on the crowd / venue etc, but if had to pick 3:

No One There - Martha Reeves

It's Over - Funkmasters

My Ship is Coming In / After You Can There Can Be Nothing / It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom - Walter Jackson (Any 1 of those!)

Sam

link

It's Over -Funkmasters.... top tune although not "northern".... takes me back to the mid 80's at "jazz funk type" do's that I frequented from time to time over a few years :yes::shhh: ....

p.s. still got the 12" of this, amongst others of that ilke, and "do" get them out for an airing at home every now and again :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Best ender bar none, was a couple of years ago at the 100. That minx Croasdell played "Get out", and said the message is in the words. :yes:

Social source share

can i ask a dumb question - why are all these enders slow? i've never been to any club or venue that ends with a slow tune, usually it's the most upbeat mental thing possible to get the crowd rocking. but with northern soul it's practically a funeral march ender. why??!

ps happy new year danny! dont get too drunk this weekend & dont forget the flag - do us proud!!!

xoxo

w

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

can i ask a dumb question - why are all these enders slow? i've never been to any club or venue that ends with a slow tune, usually it's the most upbeat mental thing possible to get the crowd rocking. but with northern soul it's practically a funeral march ender. why??!

link

T'was always the way at disco's in the 70s and 80s. Really wacky and amazingly funny DJs used to call it the 'erection section'.

And my mates were baffled, as to why I would rather drive for a few hours, than go out locally with them :yes:

Social source share

Nice thread, in my days as Allanton last hour dj (Jim knew I was certain to clear everyone out before the end) I must admit I indulged myself and played some very slow stuff not just as enders, despite maximum heckling from Glenrothes posse.  However 1st year ender was always Esther Phillipsor OJays,  like every nighter at that time, decided to be a bit different and played 4 Tops - Ask The Lonely. Actually went down a storm and is it probably in my top 1 it fair warmed my heart!  :yes:

Cheers

Jock

link

Hi Jock

As a member of the Glenrothes posse did we really heckle you? Also didn't you play the b-side of Ask the lonely on occasion too?

Derek Jack

Social source share

I think Bobby Womack's "Daylight" is quite apt for an end of niter record (omg, gone all 70's on you there).

imo maybe one constant end of nite record for a club is ok, then at least you know when to sod off. But if i went somewhere regular i wouldnt want to hear the same 3 records all the time.

Edited by DaveAbbott
Social source share

Catacombs closed with that one too

link

Remember Walter Jackson closing St Ives,used to use 'Charles Mann-Its all over' in the Cleethourpes tradition as well I think

Social source share

Remember Walter Jackson closing St Ives,used to use 'Charles Mann-Its all over' in the Cleethourpes tradition as well I think

link

or even the Cleethorpes tradition....................... :yes:

Social source share

On the subject of Helena Ferguson I've got a Compass demo copy of I'm so glad. Any ideas on value anyone?

Back to the thread my favorite ender has got to be Wade in the water by Ramsey Lewis. Play something slow as the penultimate record , switch the lights on and play this and watch the full dancefloor reaction to this.

Social source share

It´s gotta be George Freemans "Down and out" for me. Castanets!

valiant,

Top sound, agree with that one.

Also-

George Perkins-I'm so glad your mine-?

Bobby Bland - I aint myself anymore-Duke

Ronni Goodson-I wouldn't give a nickel-Uptite

George Jackson-I dont have the time-Mercury

Clyde McPhatter-Lonely people cant afford to cry-Amy

George Smith-I've had it-Turntable

Little Sherman & the Mod Swingers-The price of love

Ernie Washington - Lonesome track

think thats enough for now, would bring a tear to a jap's eye,