Bobby Goldsboro-too Many People

jazzyjas

My friend Nigel played me a tape he had from the 80s with an alternate version of Bobby Goldsboro's "Too Many People" that I've never heard before. It was definitely Bobby Goldsboro singing, but it was faster.

Where do I get my hands on this version? Some info and/or a good quality MP3 will do.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That's the version that used to be played...I think it's UK only though it may have come out in South Africa or Germany or somewhere. The first time I ever heard the slower version was when it was bootlegged on a ridiculous 4 track EP, then UA gave it an official release using the wrong version. The fast version has never been reissued. I had an Italian one and it was the slow version. I'll sort you an mp3 out if I can find it.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Guest northwest vinyl

Hello -- I just went to Soul Source to see if anyone had mentioned anything about the two different versions because I just picked up a German copy and was surprised to hear it was different from the one I've had for years, which is Italian. So sure enough, this has already been discussed here. But I have to say, listening to the two side by side, neither strike me as faster or slower than the other. The difference seems to me that the German one has a much simpler arrangement, while the Italian one has a more complex arrangement and a lot reverb a la Phil Spector. I am uploading both versions so you can have a listen. Also, could anyone enlighten me as to the values?

Thanks!

Gene

german.mp3

italian.mp3

Edited by northwest vinyl
Social source share

The one that you have called "Italian" is the proper version or rather the version that used to be played and if you can't tell the difference between that and the german one then your speakers must be up the spout. I had an Italian one in a picture sleeve and I can guarantee you 100% that it was the one you call the German one, the weedy mix. In fact I sold it to Anglo American and they returned it as they said it wasn't the right one.

Social source share

The one that you have called "Italian" is the proper version or rather the version that used to be played and if you can't tell the difference between that and the german one then your speakers must be up the spout. I had an Italian one in a picture sleeve and I can guarantee you 100% that it was the one you call the German one, the weedy mix. In fact I sold it to Anglo American and they returned it as they said it wasn't the right one.

Didn't really like the track enough to buy it. But which version do I have on the "Sold On Soul" compilation album on UA then?

John.

:yes:

Social source share

Didn't really like the track enough to buy it. But which version do I have on the "Sold On Soul" compilation album on UA then?

John.

:yes:

The wrong version. Every reissue, on cd or vinyl, has the wrong version on because they lost the master tapes. Kev Roberts said when they were compiling UK soul vol 2, the tapes were missing from Abbey Road. At the same time, the version they put on the cd of Barry St John - Everything I touch turns to tears - was an alternate take, previously unissued (and way inferior) but they didn't know...

Social source share

The wrong version. Every reissue, on cd or vinyl, has the wrong version on because they lost the master tapes. Kev Roberts said when they were compiling UK soul vol 2, the tapes were missing from Abbey Road. At the same time, the version they put on the cd of Barry St John - Everything I touch turns to tears - was an alternate take, previously unissued (and way inferior) but they didn't know...

Aw shucks.............heartbroken.

Thanks though Pete, interesting.

John.

Social source share

Got to say i didn't even know that there was an alternative version.

It was always the other version that was played around our neck of the woods, the one that appeared on the UA compilation LP.

On listening, i still think i prefer this version, the other may be faster, but to me, it lacks that danceable bounce & the orchestration & production is not as good.

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

The one I have called "Italian" I do so because it says "Made In Italy" on it. What would you call it?

And yes, I can tell the difference between the two -- if I couldn't tell a difference, why would I have posted about it? I just think that the speed is less of a difference between the two than the production, although the one is a little faster than the other. But the production is very different.

Edited by northwest vinyl
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the information. I don't appreciate the attitude.

Pinch of salt northwest vinyl. If you were on here more often you would know a pinch of salt stance is all that's needed. Our friend here shoots from the hip, he has not adopted this tone specifically to antagonise you. He is just plain speaking is all. However there are few that contribute quite as much as he does to this site in terms of information, uploading sounds, soul for sale at decent prices etc and on occasion, tremendous wit.

I know that he has been a little disenchanted with soul of late and it's not like him to be away from this site for as long as three weeks. I for one would like to see him return. So any words of encouragement from members would I'm sure go a long way in tempting back this site's top poster.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!