Most Loved Sound On Our Scene

Dayo

Been mulling over this thread, not sure if I can make it work, but here's my thinking:

We're all so passionate about what songs turn us on, and those that don't. I was wondering if we, as a cross section of Northern Soul devotees, could acheive consensus on one song that everyone on here adores?

So, I'll suggest a track that I (IMHO) might consider to be loved by everyone. Post if you agree.

Now if any forum member dislikes this record, feels it is only average, or is just indifferent to it, then that's fair enough; it's squashed and we move on.

The "squasher" picks up the ball and suggests another that they think would achieve 100% on the lurve-ometer!

We're looking for the most widely loved sound on our scene. Not the blandest, but the one song every single member would still get a tingle from. If it's obscure and you don't know it, then squash it too. Hope this makes sense.

Maybe we can go further and find even more 100%-ers. Modify and morph thes rules if you want. Let's just see what happens...

Here's my suggestion to kick things off:

Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces

Surely no-one can fault this soul classic? Every single thing about it is just so right... agree? The only downer is that it may be too short, but that's such a minor niggle....

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok Mikey - Agree 100%. Love Sandi Sheldon too and I think it's a great candidate. But can we wait and see if evryone gets behind Bob Relf first?

Come on everyone, from opening 3 notes, to the sublime soaring strings, to the hypnotic breakdown and the double time drumming outro, we can surely all agree, Blowing My Mind To Pieces blows us ALL away? Right?

Social source share

Been mulling over this thread, not sure if I can make it work, but here's my thinking:

We're all so passionate about what songs turn us on, and those that don't. I was wondering if we, as a cross section of Northern Soul devotees, could acheive consensus on one song that everyone on here adores?

So, I'll suggest a track that I (IMHO) might consider to be loved by everyone.  Post if you agree. 

Now if any forum member dislikes this record, feels it is only average, or is just indifferent to it, then that's fair enough; it's squashed and we move on.

The "squasher"  picks up the ball and suggests another that they think would achieve 100% on the lurve-ometer! 

We're looking for the most widely loved sound on our scene.  Not the blandest, but the one song every single member would still get a tingle from. If it's obscure and you don't know it, then squash it too. Hope this makes sense.

Maybe we can go further and find even more 100%-ers. Modify and morph thes rules if you want. Let's just see what happens...

Here's my suggestion to kick things off:

Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces

Surely no-one can fault this soul classic?  Every single thing about it is just so right... agree? The only downer is that it may be too short, but that's such a minor niggle....

link

Sorry Dayo, but the other side is better IMO.

How about Freddie Chavez 'They'll Never Know Why'

(Would have said Garland Green 'Girl I Love You' but PeteS would down that one staright away :yes: )

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

(Would have said Garland Green 'Girl I Love You' but PeteS would down that one staright away :yes: )

link

==========

Not quite sure I understand the theory behind the thread. If we don't like the track, then we come up with a new one? Or is it if we think another track would prove more popular we produce a new one?

If the latter....

Vel-vets === gonna find me somebody

Social source share

Ok, this thread seems to be getting some legs, and it looks like you can't resist to make suggestions, that's fine. I'm flexible! Going to squash the Soul Brothers Six Big O. Great record, but the production is a bit too sparse for my ears. :yes:

Social source share

How about Anne Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long, would appeal to most soulful ears I would have thought :yes:

link

No!And thrice No!.........Depressing record IMO,but then my ears are'nt a pretty sight :shhh:

Social source share

Ok, this thread seems to be getting some legs, and it looks like you can't resist to make suggestions, that's fine.  I'm flexible!  Going to squash the Soul Brothers Six Big O.  Great record, but the production is a bit too sparse for my ears. :yes:

link

Err, Are we on Winnies choice 'The Vel-vets' now ?

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

==========

Not quite sure I understand the theory behind the thread. If we don't like the track, then we come up with a new one? Or is it if we think another track would prove more popular we produce a new one?

If the latter....

Vel-vets === gonna find me somebody

link

I know, it's a tad complex maybe. But you got the hang of it. Agree to the Velvets.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No!And thrice No!.........Depressing record IMO,but then my ears are'nt a pretty sight :shhh:

link

I have and will NEVER tire of hearing this record.

:yes:

Social source share

link

I quite like the Garland Green record, but not as a northern 45...just a pleasant tune. Bob Relf and Freddie Chavez - prefer Freddie but neither are ones I couldn't live without.

Can anyone not like the Epitome Of Sound?

Social source share

There can be but one that would truly have across the board appeal - SOUL BROTHERS 6 - I'LL BE LOVING YOU .... as I always say, when you talk about a soul record this is IT!!!!

link

Aaargh what a difficult one but I think I'm in agreement with Big O on this one....SOUL BROTHERS 6 - I'LL BE LOVING YOU

For a dancer though - what about The Mvp's - Turning my heartbeat up ? Or... The Natural Four - I thought you were mine - How can you not love the harmonies in that ???

Social source share

I woukldn't squash either Freddie Chavez or the Vel-Vets :yes:   :shhh:   :yes:

link

I'd agree but they are out of the frame now - sadly. Looks like we're left with Epitome of Sound at the moment....

PS If someone more organised and logical than me wants to moderate this thread please feel free to take up the reins, I'll be away for most of the weekend in any case.

Social source share

I quite like the Garland Green record, but not as a northern 45...just a pleasant tune.  Bob Relf and Freddie Chavez - prefer Freddie but neither are ones I couldn't live without.

Can anyone not like the Epitome Of Sound?

link

How can anyone not like this :yes:

Social source share

PS If someone more organised and logical than me wants to moderate this thread please feel free to take up the reins, I'll be away for most of the weekend in any case.

link

I'll happily do it Dayo.. I'm not having the Epitome of sound topping the list ... I'm squashing it because it has a backing vocal that sounds like a lot of northern soul DJs in tight trousers :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!