Wilton This Friday

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

This will be the first Wilton without Pelle at the helm, Mouse now in charge with assistance from Dave Box (Frobisher) I hope the Wilton will continue from strength to strength in '05. Lat one was very busy, and a great nite! Lets see some more 'sourcerers' there! (OK Shane, I know your going!) :no::no::yes:

Edited by Trevski
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I will be there as always. I dont expect much of a change but lets wait and see. I recommend this one to anyone out there who has not been before.

Shane

I will be there as always. I dont expect much of a change but lets wait and see. I recommend this one to anyone out there who has not been before.

Shane

link

Would love to give Wilton a visit again, one of my fav' venue's, Fridays always Difficult though.........Great Music played ALWAYS :D:D

info and details pass on

THE WILTON ALLNIGHTER

Address: The Wilton, Altofts Lane, Whitwood, Castleford. West Yorkshire. WF10 5PZ

"The Dawn Of A New Era"

Playing the very best in Northern & Crossover Soul, from the very best d.j.'s

Friday 21st January

D.J.'s

ANDY DYSON * MOUSE * JOHN BRITTON

SAUS * DAVE BOX * DEAN ANDERSON * DAVE WELDON

11pm - 6am

More Info. Check Out Our Website:

www.smallframe.co.uk/wilton

or

Telephone: 01924 894384

List site: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Talk_Soul_Up_North

HELPPPPPPPPPPP

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME DIRECTIONS FROME STOKE TO WILTON?

I PRETTY MUCH KNOW ITS OFF THE M6 AT JUNCTION 21...BUT AFTER THAT...GOD KNOWS....

IT TOOK 2HRS FROM HERE TO MIDDLETON LAST WEEK...THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEA OF MY SKILLS AS A CO-PILOT :lol:

THANKS

NASHEE

HELPPPPPPPPPPP

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME DIRECTIONS FROME STOKE TO WILTON?

I PRETTY MUCH KNOW ITS OFF THE M6 AT JUNCTION 21...BUT AFTER THAT...GOD KNOWS....

IT TOOK 2HRS FROM HERE TO MIDDLETON LAST WEEK...THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEA OF MY SKILLS AS A CO-PILOT  :lol:

THANKS

NASHEE

link

pick up the m62 and follow the signposts for leeds and then wakefield, come off at junction 31. down the slip road staying in the left hand lane and left at the lights, about half a mile on your left again turn right on to california way or is it drive? then left at the road end, under the bridge and then past to pubs next to each other. round the shourt bent and the wilton is on your right. phew!!

seeya there

d

pick up the m62 and follow the signposts for leeds and then wakefield, come off at junction 31. down the slip road staying in the left hand lane and left at the lights, about half a mile on your left again turn right on to california way or is it drive? then left at the road end, under the bridge and then past to pubs next to each other. round the shourt bent and the wilton is on your right. phew!!

seeya there

d

link

GRINGO HONEY...YOU ARE TRULY AN ANGEL.

Will be interested to see how the change in promotion will affect the quality of the night....

WOOF!

link

Well,

I attended the Wilton last night and all I can say is...... 6/10 must try harder.

An unannounced door price hike was a bad start.

Musically, here is my personal impression:

Mouse's opening half hour. Not a bad start to the evening, some nice tunes played but nothing that blew my socks off.

John Britton. A very varied set that got bodies on the floor, but again nothing that made my ears prick up.

Dave Weldon. A bit up and down..... some very good tunes played, but a few that really didnt do it for me.

Dave Box. Started off quite promising but soon degenerated into very bad 'Disco' records. Some real stinkers, I'm afraid. It was a blessed relief when Andy Dyson took to the decks.

Andy Dyson. I think Andy played it a little safer than he does at Lifeline, but his set was well received, and he did manage to play across the board and to the floor, so full marks to the feller on that count.

Dean Anderson. Played a few nice tunes but had to leave half way through his set as by this time I'd had enough.

If the new Promotion team are going to take this route with the music (poor Disco records) then I can't see myself going there in 12 months time.

This is a shame, because I've always found the Wilton to be one of the best venues musically, and have always recommended that people visit.

On last nights experience, I no longer feel comfortable doing that...

This might have been a one-off, so I'll still visit the next few to give them the chance to settle into the swing of things.......

WOOF!

Edited by pikeys dog

Totally agree with all the comments above.

It was a very average Wilton in my opinion. I hated the disco stuff in the middle of the night. I know some people welcome the 'nu modern' but I can hear stuff like that in most nightclubs in Sheffield. Dean Anderson was brilliant as always! :lol:

Lets hope it improves next time.

Shane

i know.. :lol: ..btw the directions were bloody excellent....the driver was well impressed.. :lol:

link

Glad you made it ok.

Funny thing last nights Wilton musically it was a bit up and down but it was one of the best nights, socially that is that the Bradford crew have had since it opened. :lol:

This was only my third visit in two years so not much to compare it with and probably not helped that we didn't arrive till around 3am! Did make it to the dance floor but the piece I decided to wiggle about on was rather sticky resulting in some new moves probably best saved for something found in Shane's sales box :lol: not sure how busy the night had been before we arrived, didn't expect to pay £10 for the 3 remaining hours, but then again a door price is a door price I guess no matter what time you arrive, wasn't at all impressed with the size of the hand stamp and the amount of ink it left.... may bring this up as a separate discussion later on

As I said before, I was disappointed with the Wilton. I have been a regular for a few years now and have only missed one since first going. It was the first night for the new promotion team and in my opinion essential they made a positive impact. The un-announced price rise wasnt a good start and that massive ink stamp didnt make you feel any better. Maybe the price rise paid for the ink!

I also think it was a bit harsh to charge Janine £10 for the last 3 hours. All events should try to introduce a price-tier system where possible or try to use a bit more common sense. People who arrive at 3am have usually been to another event prior and should be given a bit more respect in my opinion. They are dedicated people who help keep this scene alive and should be looked after. £5 after 3am would have been more advisable.

Shane

I also think it was a bit harsh to charge Janine £10 for the last 3 hours. All events should try to introduce a price-tier system where possible or try to use a bit more common sense. People who arrive at 3am have usually been to another event prior and should be given a bit more respect in my opinion. They are dedicated people who help keep this scene alive and should be looked after. £5 after 3am would have been more advisable.

Shane

link

Totally agree Shane we were talking about this yesterday.

Agree with everyones comments on the nite so far. Musically all over the place, but sociably an excellent night.

Personally, if I turned up late to an event I wouldn't expect to get in cheap. The costs for the promoter hiring the venue, decks, paying the DJs etc are set in advance. It's the punters prerogative to turn up late and the promoter's discretion what they charge.

Anything else is chancing it - IMHO.

I've no axe to grind on this as I've never been to the Wilton.

Hammy

• 3 weeks later...

THE WILTON, 21 JANUARY 2005

So, the Wilton all-nighter’s January edition kicked off another year in good style. Good attendance, nice atmosphere, and a lot of good feedback on the night, judging by the regulars I spoke to.

Guest DJs were all in championship form, Dave Welding being the first on. He played an excellent hour and seemed to enjoy his first performance up in West Yorkshire.

Andy Dyson was on fire – absolutely brilliant hour by the South Yorkshire man. The newer discoveries he played really were top drawer. Great to hear not one thing that you’d heard for the very first time and liked, but several in a row, mixed in with some nice crossover stuff, and a well thought out assortment of quality under-played oldies.

I only caught the first quarter of Dean’s spot, but he’s always had some good stuff to play.

I’ll just jot down a few tunes of what was played on the night and let people judge for themselves.

Mouse:

Gene Redding – I Need Your Lovin’ – Bell; Ernie Johnson – I’m A Big Man – Cry;

Clydie King – My Love Grows Deeper – Imperial; Larry Williams – I’m The One – Okeh; Ray Pollard – Wanderlust – Decca; Fantastics – Me And You – SS7; Johnny Clyde Copeland – Coming To See About You – Suave.

John B:

Delroyals – Some Kind of Wonderful – Mercury; Masqueraders – How Big Is Big – Bell; Masqueraders -I Ain’t Gonna Stop – AGP; Philip Mitchell – Gonna Build California All Over The World – Shout; Tyrone Ashley – I Want My Baby Back - Phil LA of Soul; Purple Mundi – Stop Hurting Me Baby – Cat; Newcomers – Picture Show – Truth; Bobby Womack – Tried and Convicted – Minit; Danny White – Keep My Woman Home – Atlas; Billy Woods – I Don’t Want To Lose Your Love – Verve; Joe Valentine – I Lost The Only Love I Had – Val.

Dave Welding:

Pat Lewis – No-one To Love – Solid Hit; Billy Kennedy – Sweet Thing – Thelma; Jessie Johnson – Left Out – Old Town; Constellations – I Don’t Know About You – Gemini Star; Unique Blend – Yes I’m In Love – Eastbound; Eric Lomax; Tab Walton – Love Me The Way I Love You – Oriole; Pat & The Blenders – Just Because – Fast Eddie; Betty Wilson – I’m Yours – Dayco; Guitar Ray – You’re Gonna Wreck My Life – Shagg; 4 Tracks – Like My Love For You – Mandingo; Melvin Davis – Find A Quiet Place – Wheel City; George Freeman – Down and Out – Valiant; Herman Lewis – Who’s Kissing You Tonight – Stone Blue.

Dave Box:

El Anthony – We’ve Been In Love Too Long – La Cindy; Johnny Howard – The Chase Is On – Bashie; Elbie Parker – Please Keep Away From Me – Verve; Falcons – Good Good Feeling – Big Wheel; Kenny Hamber – Anything You Want – Arctic; Fascinators – In Other Words – Boom Boy; Hytones – Bigger & Better – A-Bet; Shirley Karol – Just To Make You Happy – Dakar; Blenders – Your Love Has Got Me Down – Mar-V-Lus; Johnny Robinson – Gone But Not Forgotten – Oken; Experts – My Love Is Real – Joby; Moses Dillard – I’ll Pay The Price – Mark V; Sheppards – Stubborn Heart – Mirwood; 11th Comandments – Then I Reach Satisfaction – Fast Track; ConsteLlation – I Don’t Know How To – Gemini Star; Lou Rawls – Let Me Be Good To You; New Group – Love Can’t Be Modernised – Gemini; Cooke Scott – I Don’t Care – Orr; Shelly Fisher – Girl I Love You – Dayla; Linda Perry – It’s All At The Back Of Me Now – Mainstream; Nikki Farrar (unissued) – Take My Chances – Acetate.

Andy Dyson:

Tempos; Calvin Grayson – Love’s Just Begun – In; Earls – Everybody But Me;

Volumes – Ain’t Gonna Give You Up – Karen; Eddie Billups – Shake Off That Dream; Adlibs – I Don’t Need No Fortune Teller – Passion; Saints – I’ll Let You Slide – Wigwam; Loves Stormy Weather; Donna King – Take Me Home – Hot Line; Carol Anderson – Taking My Mind Off Love – Whip; Lee Andrews – Nevertheless – Crimson; Spencer Wiggins – Let’s Talk It Over; plus a raft of newer discoveries, and a thing by O C Tolbert which got people rushing to the decks.

Dean Anderson:

Bob Fowler – Now You Got The Upper Hand – Studio acetate unissued; Barbara Mercer – My Dear Heat – Solid Hit Bound unissued; Venturers – Heart Of Love – Green Light; Robert Spencer – Our Wedding Day – Custom Pack studio acetate; Winston ‘Flook’ Richards – Let’s Get Together – Trex; Preston Peters – You Can’t By-pass Our Love – MM Enterprises; Delegates of Soul – I’ll Come Running Back – Up Look; Thom East & The Playboys – Need Somebody To Love – Toddling Town; Deon Jackson – Someday The Sun Will Shine – Studio acetate unissued; Clyde McPhatter – Please Give Me One More Chance.

Saus:

Moments - You Said – Deep; Shades of Blue - Away To Love You - Impact LP; Bobby Womack – Something For My Head - Columbia LP; Martha Reeves – Can’t Break The Habit - Gordy ; Brenda Holloway – Just Look What You’ve Done – Tamla; Marvelettes – Love Can Save Me – Motown; Pete Warner – I Just Want To Spend My Life With You – Polydor; Arthur Prysock – All I Need Is You Tonight – Old Town; Moments – Just Having Your Love – Stand; Kim Katrell – Did You See Him Last Night – Tyson; Yvonne Carroll – Please Don’t Go – Veejay; Barbara Redd – I’ll Be All Alone – SPQR; Sterephonics – Don’t Leave Me – Mas-Tok; Big Joe Turner – My Little Woman – C/U; Sammy Lee – Let’s Talk It Over – Watts Way; Doris Smith – No Good Guy – Limelight; Johnnie Mae Matthews – Mama’s Gonna Stop You – C/U; Rocky Roberts & Airedales – Have My Baby – C/U; Demetrice Faire – Young Girl – Turonta.

In due course we’ll be taking a more in-depth look at the Wilton and how it came to be, but in the meantime, for people out there who have never been before, if you like some of the tunes on the playlists come down and pay us a visit. You’ll see what a cracking nighter it really is.

The Wilton would like to thank all the people who have attended for the last decade, for making it what it is.

Cheers.

John Britton