soulmac

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What was this like- Heard different reports?

link

The Buff' social club rents out a small L shaped lounge for functions. There was about ninety in (eventually) with the majority being soulies of a certain age. There was a smattering of young people used to going to the Buff club for an evening of sixties related music offered by a number of promoters. DJ's were Fraser Dunn, John Macdonald and Butch (Dundee) . John warmed up with a seventies style set which I think he's posted somewhere , Butch played a mostly uptempo set of the kind of soul I like and got the dance floor busy. Not that it was a big dance floor. Fraser played the last set with John and with some tunes I recognised from his regular slot at Goodfoot and others I think I heard for the first time.

It's a cosy venue so you had to chat to your neighbours. Tennents lager was £1:80 and the sound system was excellent. My wife and I enjoyed it and we'll be back. Whether the Dundee and Aberdeen folk who ventured down will do the long journey again is a question only they can answer.

It was a more traditional Northern soul night that Glasgow does not usually host.

i'd be interested in hearingother views.