Sonny Stitt

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Awesome record part 1 & part 2 , side 2 bieng the better version and deserves plays.

Fantasic saxaphone version of this classic 45.

Sonny Stitt was essentially a Jazz artist but recorded a couple of 45s for the Wingate label.Another worth a listen is Concerto for Jazz lovers.

:D

Social source share

Awesome record part 1 & part 2 , side 2 bieng the better version and deserves plays.

Fantasic saxaphone version of this classic 45.

Sonny Stitt was essentially a Jazz artist but recorded a couple of 45s for the Wingate label.Another worth a listen is Concerto for Jazz lovers.

:D

Heres a link to lsten.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Sonny_Stitt_-_OO_Soul.ram

link

Social source share

Listened to Sonny Stitt  -  00Soul for the first time in ages today

sublime

but is it northern or jazz

link

It's jazz record. Because I like Northern, I think it's a good record. But I can imagine that plently of jazzers would think it was a pile of repetitive garbage that tried to cash in on the fashionable Soul sound of the period, compared to a typical SS record. One of the good things about Northern it that it has always nicked from any genre. When that happens the records become Northern but still obviously retain the stamp of the genre they derived from.

Another jazz record that makes it into the Northern bag for me is Quincy Jones - In Crowd.

Social source share

Stitt's jazz credentials go way back to the bebop era but I've never rated him as being in the top rank of jazz players. I've got a bundle of his records in the loft somewhere. His 'sound' is too derivative of other players for me.

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!