The Dome - Membership Cards

We are giving out membership cards on the first night at The Dome. These are at the reception area, please pick one up.

Also, take a minute to fill in your e-mail/house address if you want news letters sending to you. The pads for this will be at reception also. You can do either of the above at any time during the night.

Thanks again,

Ady.

• Replies 69
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ady - Questions questions re. "Soul at the Dome"...

1 - Is this going to be a monthly event?

2 - Who are going to be the regular DJs?

3 - Can you give us some schpeil on SATD?

thumbsup.gif

Ady - Questions questions re. "Soul at the Dome"...

1 - Is this going to be a monthly event? 

2 - Who are going to be the regular DJs?

3 - Can you give us some schpeil on SATD?

:)

link

Hi Kolla,

The Dome is going to be bimonthly. When i booked the first night, i thought it a good idea to book the rest of the dates for the whole year, the only 'problem' date is the one in September, as it's the same Friday as the Northampton weekender. So i'll keep my options open on this date, i don't want to clash with other peoples venues if possible.

So the dates for this year are as follows:

January 28th.

March 25th.

May 27th.

July 29th.

September 30th.

November 25th.

Regarding regular D.J's, they are:

Alex Jones

Jodie

Tony Parker

Rob Messer

Ady Potts.

As from the second night we will be joined by:

Neil Brown.

None of the above are very well known, this i am well aware of. However, if you look at there individual record collections, you come up with something interesting, that's 'Variety', as we all collect a different type of sound. This is the way i want to steer the music policy at The Dome, lets keep it interesting, push the boundary out to its limits.

None of the above d.j's suffer from the "head up their own arses" syndrome, that can sometimes sadly effect a person, when he or she has gained the notoriety of becoming a 'big name' d.j. Don't get me wrong, i know this is not always the case, but sadly there are a few out there.

So, at the end of the day, we are a few collectors that have a rudimentary knowledge on how to d.j. Come along & see what you think, dont prejudge any of us, judge us on how we deliver on the night. But one thing is for sure, you'll find that each one of us are very approachable.

Look forward to meeting you all,

Ady.

Hi Kolla,

The Dome is going to be bimonthly. When i booked the first night, i thought it a good idea to book the rest of the dates for the whole year, the only 'problem' date is the one in September, as it's the same Friday as the Northampton weekender. So i'll keep my options open on this date, i don't want to clash with other peoples venues if possible.

So the dates for this year are as follows:

January 28th.

March 25th.

May 27th.

July 29th.

September 30th.

November 25th.

Regarding regular D.J's, they are:

Alex Jones

Jodie

Tony Parker

Rob Messer

Ady Potts.

As from the second night we will be joined by:

Neil Brown.

None of the above are very well known, this i am well aware of. However, if you look at there individual record collections, you come up with something interesting, that's 'Variety', as we all collect a different type of sound. This is the way i want to steer the music policy at The Dome, lets keep it interesting, push the boundary out to its limits.

None of the above d.j's suffer from the "head up their own arses" syndrome, that can sometimes sadly effect a person, when he or she has gained the notoriety of becoming a 'big name' d.j. Don't get me wrong, i know this is not always the case, but sadly there are a few out there.

So, at the end of the day, we are a few collectors that have a rudimentary knowledge on how to d.j. Come along & see what you think, dont prejudge any of us, judge us on how we deliver on the night. But one thing is for sure, you'll find that each one of us are very approachable.

Look forward to meeting you all,

Ady.

link

=========

Hoping to give this a go, all things being equal. Good luck Ady

Winnie:-)

Wanted to add that Ady called me to go over dates for the year to make sure we did't clash. Top marks for that oh slightly-more-hair-than-Soul Sam - one :-) Going to try and get there if my kids don't play up!!!

link

So, Mr.BigO, are you saying that 'IF' i had less hair, that their would be any kind of STRIKING resemblance, other than the lack of hair, between my good self & my mate, soul'THE SEX GOD'sam. :)

Ady.

Edited by pottsy
Guest woolie mark

as an actual (temporary) londoner, i just wanna say that i'm really lookin forward to ady taking over the dome

much as i luvved the CSC nights, i've cum round to thinkin that most events in london have become a bit stale for my tastes - too much oldies, same old sounds, and too many sub-standard r&b/ultra rarities

we want a lifeline of our own!!!

i think ady's got some good ideas for adding a new dimension to and revitalising the london scene - lets support him

ps: book john aldridge, 4 the ladeez

I like oldies (that's records as opposed to men).

I also like the idea of lesser-known DJs..... they're like a box of chocolates... ya nivver know wot ya gonna git.

Anyway, a DJ is only as good as how satisfied his punters are that night. rolleyes.gif

Guest Stuart T

I like oldies (that's records as opposed to men).

I also like the idea of lesser-known DJs..... they're like a box of chocolates... ya nivver know wot ya gonna git.

Anyway, a DJ is only as good as how satisfied his punters are that night.  rolleyes.gif

link

Not necessarily. Supposing the punters want to dance to the likes of The Snake and Out On The Floor all night? It'd probably be a shite DJ that keeps them happy and a good DJ who would get moaned at. :thumbsup:

Guest woolie mark

we want a lifeline of our own

i'm not attacking the 100club - love it or hate it, it is a one-off

what i mean is that the lifeline niters, for me, are testing boundaries and pushing things forward - quality music, and when i get home i'm excited about the new (or forgotten) tunes i've heard

i think that ady has some good ideas which could create a similar spirit at the dome and those of us that are fed up with (mouldy oldie) nostalgia events should support him

Not necessarily.  Supposing the punters want to dance to the likes of The Snake and Out On The Floor all night?  It'd probably be a shite DJ that keeps them happy and a good DJ who would get moaned at. rolleyes.gif

link

========

Stu,

What do you see as the main priority of a DJ, I see it as to entertain the crowd put in front of him. I saw in a different post, you were saying it shouldn't be a retro scene, but I would guess most would disagree with you. Most of us don't feel the need to be educated or re-educated, re: northern. No disrespect intended.

The reason that oldies are still most peoples staple fare, is their quality. Unfortunately newer sounds like Margaret Little, or the Mello souls are few and far between. There is a case for re-activating underplayed oldies, but who has a list of what is and isn't underplayed. :thumbsup:

we want a lifeline of our own

i'm not attacking the 100club - love it or hate it, it is a one-off

what i mean is that the lifeline niters, for me, are testing boundaries and pushing things forward - quality music, and when i get home i'm excited about the new (or forgotten) tunes i've heard

i think that ady has some good ideas which could create a similar spirit at the dome and those of us that are fed up with (mouldy oldie) nostalgia events should support him

link

========

Musically I wouldn't put the 100 and Lifeline that far apart. The 100 has always pushed boundaries, and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future. Guess that puts me in the love it camp rolleyes.gif

Not necessarily.  Supposing the punters want to dance to the likes of The Snake and Out On The Floor all night?  It'd probably be a shite DJ that keeps them happy and a good DJ who would get moaned at. rolleyes.gif

link

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold up. If the crowd dances to The Snake and Out on the Floor, then that's what they want to hear. How does that make him/her a shite DJ?? Just means that the DJ who gets moaned at, is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think you may be taking it to the extreme there Stuart T. Obviously you can't please all the people all the time, but perhaps what is needed is a happy medium.

And Win's hit the nail on the head in that there is a huge selection of oldies, lesser played oldies, well-known under-played oldies, new oldies, and just plain old oldies that could be played without making an event "corny".

Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold up. If the crowd dances to The Snake and Out on the Floor, then that's what they want to hear. How does that make him/her a shite DJ?? Just means that the DJ who gets moaned at, is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Who'd bother to take 'The Snake, and 'Out on the Floor' in their DJ box ? rolleyes.gif

And if they did, why ?

as an actual (temporary) londoner, i just wanna say that i'm really lookin forward to ady taking over the dome

much as i luvved the CSC nights, i've cum round to thinkin that most events in london have become a bit stale for my tastes - too much oldies, same old sounds, and too many sub-standard r&b/ultra rarities

we want a lifeline of our own!!!

i think ady's got some good ideas for adding a new dimension to and revitalising the london scene - lets support him

ps: book john aldridge, 4 the ladeez

link

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your kind words.

Weird how you mention John 'The Ladeez Man' Aldridge, i talked to him last night & asked him to d.j. He's thinking about it rolleyes.gif You have a word with him Mark.

Regards

Ady.

I've got 'out on the floor' in my box, brilliant record, think it sums up 'Northern Soul'. Can't stand 'The Snake' though, never could get my head round that one.

I think it all comes down to a happy medium, keep it interesting, don't go too far with newer sounds so as you end up with an empty dance floor for the whole set, mix them in. Don't forget, there's so many records that haven't been spun in years, that to a lot will be 'new sounds', & a pleasent memory to others.

Ady.

I've got 'out on the floor' in my box, brilliant record, think it sums up 'Northern Soul'. Can't stand 'The Snake' though, never could get my head round that one.

I think it all comes down to a happy medium, keep it interesting, don't go too far with newer sounds so as you end up with an empty dance floor for the whole set, mix them in. Don't forget, there's so many records that haven't been spun in years, that to a lot will be 'new sounds', & a pleasent memory to others.

Ady.

link

Thats the basis of what I meant Ady, its just that there are many more underplayed oldies to spin rather than OOTF. Still, if its requested !

Quote made not on the quality of the record, just that it doesn't show much imagination, IMVHO.

Cheers

Steve

Thats the basis of what I meant Ady, its just that there are many more underplayed oldies to spin rather than OOTF. Still, if its requested !

Quote made not on the quality of the record, just that it doesn't show much imagination, IMVHO.

Cheers

Steve

link

That's very true Steve, my favourite 'type' of d.j. is one that's innovative. Not in a way that he or she play's newy after newy (yeh, right!), but in a way that they can captivate the floor with sounds, that when you here them, make you think 'blimey would never have dared play that', & it packs the floor.

Ady.

===========

I really don't understand why playing out on the floor has a stigma attached to it. Sorry it was a great record then, and IMO still is. Would always dance to it, out of allegiance if nothing else :wicked:

By the way are you banking on Janine not reading about "Out on the floor", she does sometimes venture out of the SSCDT pages you know rolleyes.gif

Winnie;-)

And I just did venture out, Stu stobbit! I played OOTF down the 100 club after playing a pretty good set with a mix of oldies and underplayed oldies and the best reaction all night was to OOTF, which packed the dance floor! Yes it was played for a bet, but I even went and danced to it, and there are plenty of other clubs that Dave has played it at to the same reaction, again for a bet, but it's worked

Shirley Wahls - That's how long (im gonna love you) - King

Lilly Fields - Iv'e got to tell you - Holton

Anita Humes & The Essex - What did I do - Roulette

Little Charles - Guess i'll have to take what's left - Jewel

Danny Wagner - I Lost a true love - Imperial

The Adventurers - I've caught you cheatin - Music World

The Belles - Don't Pretend - Mirwood

The Strides - I can get along - MS

Drake and the En-Solids - Please Leave Me - Alteen

Joanie Sommers - Don't Pity Me - Warner Bros

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling I Need You - Tamla

Bill Bush - I'm Waiting - Ronn

The Hyperions - Why you wanna treat me - Chattahoochee

And played for all soul source's

Dobie Gray - Out on the Floor

Guest Andy BB

Stuart's got a point, but only to a point.

It'd get pretty stale very quickly if we only heard the same old oldies played out but there's a compromise.

I remember being at a do recently (Stuart was one of the organisers funnily enough) and I was talking to a couple of lads from Yorkshire and saying how good the music was. their response was that they weren't enjoying it because they didn't know anything being played. Their usual local soul night relied on oldies. Anyway the next DJ started with a couple of big tunes then played some cracking newer stuff, they immediately perked up and started to enjoy the new stuff too. The DJ continued in the same manner slipping one well known tune in every 3 or 4.

And, as if by magic, everyone was happy!

Now that was a bloody good DJ! I won't mention his name cos he's on here and he'll get bigheaded, and besides I think I might get paired against him in next week's drinking competition! Go easy on me...

I have and i will in the future (OOTF - not the snake btw!)

Why - cos it is a quality oldie and gets good reaction. Maybe we are 'spoilt' and dont go to the venues that play these oldies every week; but I hadn't heard it for years when I played it in the summer - 2 nights running it got great reaction and packed the floor - first was as a bet with my intro of of "will he, wont he; he fu*king will" and half way through "and hes f*cking glad he did!" (dont know why i got all sweary lol) The next night was a request - the poor guy got a grilling off Janine as to why he wanted it - we thought he was winding us up!

And as Janine say i have played it esle where too. And the reaction that Janine got to it at the 100 Club was big to say the least.

Edited by DaveAbbott

Ady, i suggest booking Phil Rains for the Dome........quality semi- known collector

(feel certain you know Phil) :D

link

Hi Brett,

You're right, i know Phil very well. Sold him a lot of records over the years. Now Phil, as with John Aldridge that we mentioned earlier, are the type of collector/d.j's that will put a refreshing input into the scene. There's a lot more people out there just like them, they just need a chance.

Re. Phil, he's definately going to be on at The Dome.

Ady.

I know, i'm a 'one finger' typist. It's taken me 3 mins. to write this, 4 mins., 5 mins., oh F**K IT!! Bye.

link

Talking of Fingers (or can i put it delicately, the lack of) i was talking to him one day about Johnny Summers. I said to him "Fingers, how many copies of Johnny Summers did you actually get?" He replied "A handful". I looked down at his hand & thought, are you taking the piss?

Nice bloke Fingers, he's on at the second night. Never seen him drop a record. Or pick his nose.

Ady.

===========

That's why they started SSCDT so I'm told, Janine has a tendency to go off on tangents :D

link

Back to the subject then! :D

Ady - thanks for answering my questions and good luck with the first night :D

Why - cos it is a quality oldie and gets good reaction.  Maybe we are 'spoilt' and dont go to the venues that play these oldies every week; but I hadn't heard it for years when I played it in the summer - 2 nights running it got great reaction and packed the floor - first was as a bet with my intro of of "will he, wont he; he fu*king will" and half way through "and hes f*cking glad he did!" (dont know why i got all sweary lol) The next night was a request - the poor guy got a grilling off Janine as to why he wanted it - we thought he was winding us up!

And as Janine say i have played it esle where too. And the reaction that Janine got to it at the 100 Club was big to say the least.

link

Nobody championing 'The Snake' then ? Mmmmm, interesting. :D

===========

I really don't understand why playing out on the floor has a stigma attached to it. Sorry it was a great record then, and IMO still is. Would always dance to it, out of allegiance if nothing else :D

By the way are you banking on Janine not reading about "Out on the floor", she does sometimes venture out of the SSCDT pages you know biggrin.gif

Winnie;-)

link

Allegiance to who Winnie ? :D

It was played as a bet. That says it all. The stigma must have been there before my post.

If you believe it warrants a spin, you play it anyway, not just for a bet.

Anyway Winnie, I didn't think Janines powers worked outside SSCDT :D

Why - cos it is a quality oldie and gets good reaction.  Maybe we are 'spoilt' and dont go to the venues that play these oldies every week; but I hadn't heard it for years when I played it in the summer - 2 nights running it got great reaction and packed the floor - first was as a bet with my intro of of "will he, wont he; he fu*king will" and half way through "and hes f*cking glad he did!" (dont know why i got all sweary lol) The next night was a request - the poor guy got a grilling off Janine as to why he wanted it - we thought he was winding us up!

link

Again Dave, as a bet. It worked, good, but why not initially play it as part of your spot ?

Steve

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE

Back to the subject then!    :D

Ady -  thanks for answering my questions and good luck with the first night  :D

link

Thanks Kolla.

I'm just off to the airport to pick up Tommy & his missus. Said he's got a suitcase full of records to sell at The Dome, if anyone's interested. I know he picked up a copy of Thee Midniters, he's going to be selling that after he plays it next Friday.

I'll keep you you all informed.

Thanks,

Ady.

Guest Stuart T

========

Stu,

What do you see as the main priority of a DJ, I see it as to entertain the crowd put in front of him. I saw in a different post, you were saying it shouldn't be a retro scene, but I would guess most would disagree with you. Most of us don't feel the need to be educated or re-educated, re: northern. No disrespect intended.

The reason that oldies are still most peoples staple fare, is their quality. Unfortunately newer sounds like Margaret Little, or the Mello souls are few and far between. There is a case for re-activating underplayed oldies, but who has a list of what is and isn't underplayed. :D

link

Perhaps I should have been less flippant in how I worded my original post. Sure, a DJ should entertain a crowd. And for a crowd that wants to hear records lilke that then a DJ playing those records would be, as you say, doing his (or her) job. I guess its my subjective opinion but I wouldn't want to spend time listening to his (or her :D ) set. I shouldn't have said "shite" I suppose, its a bit unfair (especially as Mike asked for people to lay off the swearing). But I'd rate the one who played better or more interesting records over the one who just pandered to the crowd and kept the dancefloor full.

Andy BB is quite right, its hard in most clubs to just bung on one new record after another, and I'm sure we've all seen it done disastrously.

I don't think saying it shouldn't be a retro scene is an attempt at re-education, but if the scene becomes about re-living teenage years at Wigan Casino or wherever, its not what I'm going out for (when I first heard of it the place had closed about a month before!). Nor am I trying to relive the 100 Club from 1987 or something like that. And if it is a retro scene won't that mean that it excludes new people with no "retro" to relive? Maybe :D . I've just got a bit of a headache trying to work that one out. I'd rather we were looking ahead rather than backwards. I think.

Just as you ask who has a list of what is and isn't underplayed I'd be loathe to say that any record is a newie because someone somewhere will say "This was a big sound for X for three weeks in 1977" or "Played it years ago and nobody danced". Its just that I feel slightly underwhelmed going out and hearing the same records so often (Because of You, If I Could Only Be Sure, Key To My Happiness, all records that I like but am bored to tears hearing, I've still got copies in the back of the record cupboard to take out and enjoy in a few years time). I'm all for "reactivating underplayed oldies" because a lot of them I don't know or have completely forgotten.

I think I'd better go and do some work now.

Guest Stuart T

===========

I really don't understand why playing out on the floor has a stigma attached to it. Sorry it was a great record then, and IMO still is. Would always dance to it, out of allegiance if nothing else tongue.gif

By the way are you banking on Janine not reading about "Out on the floor", she does sometimes venture out of the SSCDT pages you know biggrin.gif

Winnie;-)

link

Good point but now that you've responded I can't delete mention of it in the original post and so will definitely be in trouble :D , you two have been and dropped me right in it. :D Actually, I quite enjoyed hearing OOTF at the 100 Club, I think its the first time I've heard it played out since about 1984! But I wouldn't want to hear it too often.

Do you reckon Janine will let me off now? :D

Edited by Stuart T

Allegiance to who Winnie ? :D

It was played as a bet. That says it all.  The stigma must have been there before my post.

If you believe it warrants a spin, you play it anyway, not just for a bet.

Anyway Winnie, I didn't think Janines powers worked outside SSCDT :D

link

==========

Allegiance to my youth, what it meant to me then. Records like OOTF allowed me to be free of the drudgery......why should I forget them. I like to hear new stuff, but I'd like it to be N/S not something that people are oooohing and aaaaaahing about just cos it's rare :D

Good point but now that you've responded I can't delete mention of it in the original post and so will definitely be in trouble sad.gif , you two have been and dropped me right in it.  :D Actually, I quite enjoyed hearing OOTF at the 100 Club, I think its the first time I've heard it played out since about 1984!  But I wouldn't want to hear it too often. 

Do you reckon Janine will let me off now? :D

link

===========

I think the "Quite enjoyed hearing OOTF at the 100", will appease the Mistress of distress on this occasion Stu :D

Perhaps I should have been less flippant in how I worded my original post.  Sure, a DJ should entertain a crowd.  And for a crowd that wants to hear records lilke that then a DJ playing those records would be, as you say, doing his (or her) job.  I guess its my subjective opinion but I wouldn't want to spend time listening to his (or her  :D ) set.  I shouldn't have said "shite" I suppose, its a bit unfair (especially as Mike asked for people to lay off the swearing).  But I'd rate the one who played better or more interesting records over the one who just pandered to the crowd and kept the dancefloor full.

Andy BB is quite right, its hard in most clubs to just bung on one new record after another, and I'm sure we've all seen it done disastrously. 

=========

I've said in another post, I've always felt the dance floor is king. The dancers are the ones that are the true measurement IMO. It's all very well playing something, and 5/6/7 collectors come up and say, what label is it on etc, but if you haven't got the floor with the record, I don't believe it can really be a winner. Some DJs are playing out, what I would consider under par records, purely because they are rare or obscure, it's a form of snobbery IMO. This isn't aimed at you or anyone in particular, just a general comment sad.gif

=====================

I don't think saying it shouldn't be a retro scene is an attempt at re-education, but if the scene becomes about re-living teenage years at Wigan Casino or wherever, its not what I'm going out for (when I first heard of it the place had closed about a month before!).  Nor am I trying to relive the 100 Club from 1987 or something like that.  And if it is a retro scene won't that mean that it excludes new people with no "retro" to relive?  Maybe :D .  I've just got a bit of a headache trying to work that one out.  I'd rather we were looking ahead rather than backwards.  I think.

==========

It's a retro scene in as much as the vast majority of people on it were on it before. That's not to say they're not open to new sounds, but they would probably want the new sounds to be more traditional. I don't think it would exclude new people, just make them try and understand the history a little better.

===================

Just as you ask who has a list of what is and isn't underplayed I'd be loathe to say that any record is a newie because someone somewhere will say "This was a big sound for X for three weeks in 1977" or "Played it years ago and nobody danced".  Its just that I feel slightly underwhelmed going out and hearing the same records so often (Because of You, If I Could Only Be Sure, Key To My Happiness, all records that I like but am bored to tears hearing, I've still got copies in the back of the record cupboard to take out and enjoy in a few years time).  I'm all for "reactivating underplayed oldies" because a lot of them I don't know or have completely forgotten.

========

I remember speaking to Dave Flynn about underplayed or new sounds. You know what Flynny is like, he would say exactly what you said, this was big in so and so year, or it cleared the floor first time round, so was dropped. Knowledgable bugger isn't he yes.gif The point being though Stu, if you're DJ'ing and you haven't heard a particular oldie on your travels, then why not play it? There'll always be someone who'll say, Oh I heard this last week, but it's the majority you're playing for, and trying to entertain :D

==========

I think I'd better go and do some work now.

link

Guest Stuart T

link

I was thinking of Flynn when I wrote that :D . I think once a year he finds something in my record boxes that he admits he hasn't heard before. But maybe he is being kind? Got a couple of nice bits off him when he came over, may spin the Lydia Pense on Invader at the next Solid Hit Soul.

I think I'm always prepared to give any record a chance if I think its any good, there is time to play it and it fits in somewhere in the set - those are the tests of what gets on the decks next for me, but I don't always get it right, live and learn, I'm not an experienced DJ. So if you hear me playing something that you think is utter rubbish (again :D ) it'll solely be down to bad taste. :D

I was thinking of Flynn when I wrote that sad.gif .  I think once a year he finds something in my record boxes that he admits he hasn't heard before.  But maybe he is being kind?  Got a couple of nice bits off him when he came over, may spin the Lydia Pense on Invader at the next Solid Hit Soul.

I think I'm always prepared to give any record a chance if I think its any good, there is time to play it and it fits in somewhere in the set - those are the tests of what gets on the decks next for me, but I don't always get it right, live and learn, I'm not an experienced DJ.  So if you hear me playing something that you think is utter rubbish (again :D ) it'll solely be down to bad taste.  :D

link

Mr Stuart, could you tape that record for me, I've only heard it once but from what I remember it was a great stomper with a country and western vocalist???

I'llbe your best mate :D