Who Are These Artists?

• Replies 18
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello! I picked up 2 45s and I'm not sure where they fit in, but they sound good. Anybody ever here of Joe Hinton, or James Crawford?

Thank You!

link

"What I know about Joe Hinton could be written on the back of a postage stamp. Extensive detective work (ie: Google) reveals that he was gospel singer before turning to soul music but none of his releases were big hits and, sadly, he died of skin cancer in 1968 at the age of 39. That's it basically, I've never seen a picture of the guy and "Funny" is the only recording of his I've ever heard, but it's great enough for me to want to hear more. A 1964 cover of a Willie Nelson song, Hinton turns in a sublime half-sung, half-spoken vocal with a high note at the end that's like clouds parting and a host of heavenly angels appearing. I'd love to know if the rest of his work is as fabulous or was it just a one-off moment of Godliness but unfortunately his entire oeuvre is long out of print. So if some kind person from the record label that owns his stuff is reading this, I'd like it re-issued on nice shiny CD please (pretty please) so I can answer that question without shelling out major greenbacks on the original vinyl. So come on Mr. Record Exec, the world doesn't need anymore Bob Dylan box sets, rescue Joe Hinton from dusty obscurity."

https://www.duvigneaud.net/James_Crawford.html

Londonlee

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Hello! I picked up 2 45s and I'm not sure where they fit in, but they sound good. Anybody ever here of Joe Hinton, or James Crawford?

Thank You!

link

Joe Hinton-Backbeat. "Got you on my mind"? nice tune.

Social source share

"Funny!"

(One of my favourite singles by Joe Hinton!)  There are about a hundred singles by him on backbeat, and one or two on Soul.

Got some great early stuff, which one did you buy?

Jodie x

link

"You know it ain't right" and "Love sick blues" on the back beat label.

The James Crawford has "Honest I do" part 1 on one side part 2 on the other. An Omen label. Thank You I really appreciate the input. thumbsup.gif

Edited by electriczipper
Social source share

Thank You!

link

Plenty of stuff, James Crawford on Mercury, Blue Rock, Omen, King. Joe Hinton on Backbeat, Arvee. Whats the tracks called?

Social source share

Thank You!

link

Yeah, as they've said below Back Beat is the label for Joe Hinton. No shame in having him in your collection. I bought 'you gotta have love' from Ben Summers for seven quid. Can't think of that many other records of that value that are that good - Awsome. What's the your track by JH?

Social source share

OH YEAH! "Honest I Do" by James Crawford on Omen is a killer! What a gorgeous label design, too. I've played that many many times in a northern set.

"You Gotta Have Love" by Joe Hinton is pretty nice. Another good tune by him is "Let's Start a Romance on a fuscia and black Arvee label. This is a really good Belgium Popcorn number and predates the Back Beat recordings.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Is the Joe Hinton on the Motown label SOUL the same guy as on Back Beat? I remember a discussion about this and I think it was said that the SOUL 45 came out after Joe Hinton on Back Beat had died. Don't know for sure though.

Social source share

Is the Joe Hinton on the Motown label SOUL the same guy as on Back Beat? I remember a discussion about this and I think it was said that the SOUL 45 came out after Joe Hinton on Back Beat had died. Don't know for sure though.

link

The Joe Hinton "Soul" recording artist is different from the "Backbeat" artist, the "Motown" Joe Hinton was an opening act for Bobby Bland then later wrote and produced for David Ruffin,Gladys Knight, Jr Walker,Four Tops and the Originals. In 1971 he worked for GRC and recorded "Take My Hand In Your Hand" and also "Hannahs Love" (i really like this track) but from my info doesn't appear to have recorded after GRC folded.

Social source share

Quick surf and found this little biog about Joe Hinton.....

Joe Hinton was a super gospel vocalist and an even finer soul singer, among the most emphatic and gripping among '60s stylists. Hinton originally was a member of the Chosen Gospel Singers and later was a lead vocalist for the Spirit of Memphis quartet before turning to soul in the mid-'60s. While none of his songs for Backbeat were ever huge hits, his releases were masterfully crafted, emotionally arresting performances. His signature song was a 1964 remake of Willie Nelson's "Funny How Time Slips Away," complete with a shattering, octave-leaping finale. It reached number 13 on the R&B charts, but deserved a much better fate. Hinton unfortunately died in Boston in 1968, and never got the wider notoriety he deserved.
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Joe Hinton-Backbeat. "Got you on my mind"? nice tune.

link

Great tune , failry cheap I think about 50 sods - ace guitar bit near the end

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Plenty of stuff, James Crawford on Mercury, Blue Rock, Omen, King.  Joe Hinton on Backbeat, Arvee.  Whats the tracks called?

link

James Crawford:

When lonliness knocks on my door - Mercury

much to much- Mercury

i dont care- mercury

if you dont work-mercury

stop and think it over - mercury

Got no excuses/horay for the child-Bluerock 4033

omen 112

stone fox/inst (i think on flip)-King

I'll work it out/ inst(?)-King

All have James Brown conections - but interestingly not repeated items by other artists like so many JB prods so some say in his own work.

Thought maybe he'd be a 'Dapp' or a 'five Royals' even Bing Bong a 'Determination' but the grey matter isnt telling me nothing. (Jewels,Swans,Midnighter,... all JB prods on those + groups)(just a back check thru My King stuff and Vickie Anderson did I,ll work it out)

ive details on numbers on all but it aint easy to find these days of mounting vinyl

Some fabulous stuff on King on reflection prod by James B

Theres a couple of Joe Hinton LP's on Back Beat- or one anyway for sure, some on ABC Blues label-Cant recall names but a couple of good none single tracks with style and both of the Back Beat one.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

James Crawford:

When lonliness knocks on my door - Mercury

much to much- Mercury

i dont care- mercury

if you dont work-mercury

stop and think it over - mercury

Got no excuses/horay for the child-Bluerock 4033

omen 112

stone fox/inst (i think on flip)-King

I'll work it out/ inst(?)-King

All have James Brown conections - but interestingly not repeated items by other artists  like so many JB prods so some say in his own work.

Thought maybe he'd be a 'Dapp' or a 'five Royals' even Bing Bong a 'Determination' but the grey matter isnt telling me nothing.  (Jewels,Swans,Midnighter,... all JB prods on those + groups)(just a back check thru My King stuff and Vickie Anderson did I,ll work it out)

ive details  on numbers on all but it aint easy to find these days of mounting vinyl

Some fabulous stuff on King on reflection prod by James B

Theres a couple of Joe Hinton LP's on Back Beat- or one anyway for sure, some on ABC Blues label-Cant recall names but a couple of good none single tracks with style and both of the Back Beat one.

link

I'll read the downloads first in future, sorry to repeat, gutted i missed some though..... should read 'off' the Back Beat ............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!