Royal Hotel, Weston-super-mud

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Getting a bit over supplied round these parts now Jerry. 3 or 4 years ago, there was naff all about and nobody interested in going. Now I'm the one who can't be bothered to go anywhere and I find myself trying to find other things to do to get away from all the bloody soul do's opening up!! Abergavenny, Newport, Weston and now another Weston! Has everyone gone mad?

Guest andrew bin

Yet another happening in the oh-so-soulful South West -

The Royal Hotel, South Parade, Weston-super-Mare

Saturday January 29th 7.30 - 1am.

DJ's Des Parker (fresh back from the States)

Jerry "Hippo" Hipkiss, Paul O'Brien, Mick Lloyd and Ken Dunn.

...but I bet the tide will be out... :(

Jerry

link

We'll be there, looking forward to it (you also forgot to mention Merv)

going to be a fantastic night :)

........Andrew

Guest andrew bin

Getting a bit over supplied round these parts now Jerry. 3 or 4 years ago, there was naff all about and nobody interested in going. Now I'm the one who can't be bothered to go anywhere and I find myself trying to find other things to do to get away from all the bloody soul do's opening up!! Abergavenny, Newport, Weston and now another Weston! Has everyone gone mad?

link

Bet you were the one 3 to 4 years ago whinging that there's nothing going on down here, if you don't like the idea of a good soul night on your doorstep don't go, i'm sure you won't be missed

you also forgot to mention an allnighter in Cardiff this year a new R n B club opening also in Cardiff, Porthcawl Soul nights possibly starting up again plus various others

i personally love such a large choice on my doostep and we go to every one (make's welcome change from racing up the M6 every weekend)

.............Andrew

i personally love such a large choice on my doostep and we go to every one (make's welcome change from racing up the M6 every weekend)

And of course you're right Andrew - attendance isn't compulsory at NS events, if there's the demand there then let somebody go for it, as long as they take care not to dump on someones doorstep by clashing dates etc. Make hay while the sun shines, enjoy the fact that the scene's still going at the pace it is!

Now, what am I going to play........

BTW Mikey - hope tonight in Newport goes well, getting butterflies in your stomach yet?

Jerry.

Yet another happening in the oh-so-soulful South West -

The Royal Hotel, South Parade, Weston-super-Mare

Saturday January 29th 7.30 - 1am.

DJ's Des Parker (fresh back from the States)

Jerry "Hippo" Hipkiss, Paul O'Brien, Mick Lloyd and Ken Dunn.

...but I bet the tide will be out... :thumbsup:

Jerry

link

Wot 'sort' of music do you play and also when's next one on after this?

HI ONE AND ALL HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD NITE :)

SORRY CANT BE THERE DJING IN DERBY GOOD LUCK

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AT THE GRAND ATLANTIC 2nd APRIL 2005

HEAVENLY BLOCKED :):lol:

Edited by heavenly blocked

Wot 'sort' of music do you play and also when's next one on after this?

link

Well, I'm an unashamed stomper, as is Paul O'B, though he's shown a worrying tendency to purchasing the odd 70's track (spending too much time near Johnny O-T methinks :wicked: ) Mick Lloyd plays a fair bit of R & B plus classic oldies...got the general feeling? Won't be the most obscure or most expensive 45's, just goodies!

Jerry.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Jerry have you got the use of the car park there. I lived across the road for a couple of years and parking can at times be a bit of a nightmare.

Good luck with the dooooo BTW we're in Manchester I'm afraid :wicked:

Bet you were the one 3 to 4 years ago whinging that there's nothing going on down here,  if you don't like the idea of a good soul night on your doorstep don't go, i'm sure you won't be missed 

you also forgot to mention an allnighter in Cardiff this year a new R n B club opening also in Cardiff, Porthcawl Soul nights possibly starting up again plus various others

.............Andrew

link

Woah!!! Steady on Andrew. My post to Jerry wasn't a whinge and, knowing Jerry's sense of humour, I'm sure he didn't take it as one. There is a personal irony to all this in that, whilst still in love with the music, still keeping in touch with friends etc and logging onto this excellent site, I have other priorities etc at the moment and so have not been going to soul nights and niters. I'm very pleased there is so much choice in the area now for soulies down here.

Finally, no, I was not one of the whingers 3 to 4 years ago. In fact, between 1999 and 2001, I promoted the Cardiff nights at the Central Hotel, Splott Star Centre and Riverbank Hotel. I stopped running them through a combination of personal pressures and a reluctance to continue subsidising them because of erratic attendances. I am delighted for the respective promoters that the current events have been successful since, but I did try very hard 3 to 4 years ago when there was nothing on at all in South Wales.

Hope that sets the record straight Andrew. Hope the promoters of Weston have a good one this weekend.

I would also like to add that I looked into promoting an all nighter at the Coal Exchange, Cardiff and had a provisional date booked for September 2000. However, I pulled out because the numbers at that time just weren't down here or interested enough, certainly not for the type of niter or DJ line-up that I and my friends wanted to see down here. Best wishes for the niter at this superb venue later in 2005.

Guest andrew bin

thanks Mark, the allnighter's going to be great, a lot of people are looking forward to it, we can't understand why you never got any support , there are loads of people from South Wales that are and always have been dedicated Soulies we get quite a few of them at our do's at the Manor, from places such as Blackwood Porthcawl Swansea Pembroke Newport the Valleys etc, we are now even getting a lot of travelers which is fantastic we love to see people there from Manchester the Midlands West and Mid Wales Portsmouth Eastbourne and even some from the Home Counties it just go's to prove how dedicated some people are, we really do appreciate all the support, thanks (made some wonderful freinds) ranting_1.gif

I know what you mean about fluctuating attendances we had our lowest attendance so far on friday (about 140-150) allthough I did get some emails from people that were going to Tsunami Concert at the Millenium Stadium on Saturday, so we can't grumble (good to see so many people supporting such a worthwile charity) blush.gif

right, enough of this Bollucks

Back to what this thread is about

Good luck Mick Ken and Merv from the VSC, can't wait

there's never too much Soul about!

............Andrew

Edited by andrew bin

Andrew, thanks for the response. Glad the air's cleared and pleased you guys have got things going. We could never understand it with the Cardiff bashes either. I had Mike Wilkes involved, Wazzy, Edwin and so on. We were trying to be progressive which may have put the oldies fans off, but the stuff played at M4 Soul Club nights was superb with some excellent DJs - Hippo, Dave Rimmer, Gavin Page, Nigel Shaw, Nige Mayfield. Never mind, maybe just bad timing. Keep the choice going everyone!! Good luck for Weston.

Andrew, thanks for the response. Glad the air's cleared and pleased you guys have got things going. We could never understand it with the Cardiff bashes either. I had Mike Wilkes involved, Wazzy, Edwin and so on. We were trying to be progressive which may have put the oldies fans off, but the stuff played at M4 Soul Club nights was superb with some excellent DJs - Hippo, Dave Rimmer, Gavin Page, Nigel Shaw, Nige Mayfield. Never mind, maybe just bad timing. Keep the choice going everyone!! Good luck for Weston.

link

Probably was just bad timing Mark...as you know, I loved doing that spot at the Riverbank, although it remains to my eternal shame that I've never yet dj'd in Splott :yes::shhh:

Talk about on tenterhooks, Saturday morning and I'm waiting for Des Parker to call me and tell me if I've got a lift or not - I'm getting too old to be hitching back up the M5 at 2 on a Sunday morning!

See you later (fingers crossed)

Jerry

.............Andrew

Date and more details for the Cardiff niter please. Will make sure that gets put in the diary.

See you guys all over the place and it's about time we made the wales trip, although we're talking racing down the m5.

Gaye

Talk about on tenterhooks, Saturday morning and I'm waiting for Des Parker to call me and tell me if I've got a lift or not - I'm getting too old to be hitching back up the M5 at 2 on a Sunday morning!

Jerry

link

Well, by 7pm I was getting worried. No call from Des, he hadn't been to my house before, and let's say it's pretty well hidden! Keeping one eye on the FA Cup game on BBC1 and getting showered, shaved etc. on the assumption that I hadn't upset anyone that day so I'd get there somehow...finally the phone rings and it's Leon Brown of the Gloucester massive- "Jerry, Des is panicking, lost your phone number in a mass of papers and vinyl"! So, a quick call, and pretty soon Tanz, the girl with the longest legs on the soul scene, arrives in her people carrier - well, more like a record carrier with all Des's sales boxes in, and we're off down the M5, got to the venue at around 8.30, and what a superb venue. If you've been to Exeter you'll get the idea, comfortable bar, good dance floor in the adjoining room, and good quality sound as well. Quite a few of the regular South West faces, some notable exceptions, but the numbers in made it well worth putting on and Mick has three more dates lined up this year. Once everyone had levered themselves off the comfy leather sofas in the bar the dance floor was nicely full. Des did an excellent spot, Merv played loads of R & b, Ken warmed them up nicely, and Mick finished the night off in style. Back to the motorway and into bed for 3am. Everyone seemed to agree, it was a good night and could well become an established fixture and a complement to Heavenly Blocked.

Jerry.

Here's a request guys.

Every year about November a bunch of us soulies descend on Weston Super Mare along with about 50k other motocross types to watch the beach race.

PLEASE organise something.....anything as we are trapped in the town all week-end!

shhh.gif

link

---------------------------------

Don't know what the future dates are but will see Mick on Saturday and can let you know the future dates they've got booked.

Gaye

Here's a request guys.

Every year about November a bunch of us soulies descend on Weston Super Mare along with about 50k other motocross types to watch the beach race.

PLEASE organise something.....anything as we are trapped in the town all week-end!

:thumbup:

link

THE GRAND ATLANTIC DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS

2nd APRIL 2005

1&2 JULY 2005

3rd SEPTEMBER 2005

17th DECEMBER 2005

SORRY CANT DO ANYTHING IN NOVEMBER :P

GOOD LUCK IF YOU FIND A ROOM WILL BE WILLING TO LEND A HAND blush.gif

HEAVENLY BLOCKED :P:yes: