Dee Dee Warwick - When Love Slips

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Another wicked cheapie that should be 're-activated' is Dee Dee Warwick's 'When Love Slips Away' on Mercury. Thanks to Backdoor Kenny playing this during a Sunday afternoon session at Cleethorpes, I instantly feel in love with Dee Dee's dulcet tones and I play this whenever I can shoe horn it into a set..........and on the B side is an old 8Ts cover up 'House of Gold' which was covered up as 'Hey Senor'...so a good double sider :) Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Another wicked cheapie that should be 're-activated' is Dee Dee Warwick's 'When Love Slips Away' on Mercury.  Thanks to Backdoor Kenny playing this during a Sunday afternoon session at Cleethorpes, I instantly feel in love with Dee Dee's dulcet tones and I play this whenever I can shoe horn it into a set..........and on the B side is an old 8Ts cover up 'House of Gold' which was covered up as 'Hey Senor'...so a good double sider  :) Jo

link

Tune :( My favourite female artist Jo.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Dee Dee along with Martha Reeves "Love Guess Who" are two of the best stripping records (I would Imagine?)

Phil

link

I'll suggest that to the ladies at Spearmint Rhino :)
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Another wicked cheapie that should be 're-activated' is Dee Dee Warwick's 'When Love Slips Away' on Mercury.  Thanks to Backdoor Kenny playing this during a Sunday afternoon session at Cleethorpes, I instantly feel in love with Dee Dee's dulcet tones and I play this whenever I can shoe horn it into a set..........and on the B side is an old 8Ts cover up 'House of Gold' which was covered up as 'Hey Senor'...so a good double sider  :) Jo

link

JO

Are you trying to send me to the poor house? I bought your last recommendation even tho i didnt know it, but will have to pass on this one. Keep 'em coming tho, its a great idea champioing less well known tunes.

Social source share

link

I Prefer Margos version of this even though its more expensive.

Also the Fashions version is equally as good and nearly as cheap :(

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I Prefer Margos version of this even though its more expensive.

Also the Fashions version is equally as good and nearly as cheap :)

link

You're right. The Fashions version on 20th Century is excellent but I prefer the 'stripped down' quality of Dee Dee. Don't know the other version.......will try and find a sound byte of that. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

JO

Are you trying to send me to the poor house? I bought your last recommendation even tho i didnt know it, but will have to pass on this one. Keep 'em coming tho, its a great idea champioing less well known tunes.

link

I know someone who has a MINT copy for £20......g'wan, you know you want it :) contact me off list if you're interested. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

They have to wear tassels for the full effect.

link

I suppose you'd want to apply the fake tans personally :( I can see a whole new slant - Soul 'n Strippers........performing LIVE to all your Northern favourites :( hmm, that's another thread - good stripping titles :) beats Northern Soul bingo Jo

Social source share

JO

link

I've got it Mikey and will definitely be playing it at Newport on Saturday (excuse the plug) - it is an absolutely blinding track...

Social source share

You're right.  The Fashions version on 20th Century is excellent but I prefer the 'stripped down' quality of Dee Dee.  Don't know the other version.......will try and find a sound byte of that. Jo

link

I have a Uk Stateside demo of the fashions.

The Margo & Marvettes was on PYE and is about£100 I think.

Ive had a US issue and white demo of DeeDee

A firend of Mine has aUK Mercury copy and has been playing it out for years

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

link

Ernie, what's the other side of the Fashions......Stateside demo - mmmmmm :) very lovely. Jo

Social source share

link

I agree a great double sider although I think House of gold is the stronger side. Her sister Dionne even admitted Dee Dee was the better singer of the two.

Another worth a listen by Dee Dee is Dont you ever give up on me on Mercury 72738.Cheap and a great flip too. :(

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got it Mikey and will definitely be playing it at Newport on Saturday (excuse the plug) - it is an absolutely blinding track...

link

Dan

Perhaps we can do a Jo Wallace tribute?

I have Pattie Ward, and the Dells, you have Dee Dee. Have you got the Yum Yums? Actually, if you have, fancy a straight swap for my Dells?? :)

Social source share

Dan

Perhaps we can do a Jo Wallace tribute?

I have Pattie Ward, and the Dells, you have Dee Dee. Have you got the Yum Yums? Actually, if you have, fancy a straight swap for my Dells??  :)

link

I do have a Yum Yums and I'll play that as well Mikey. As for swapping it for your Dells, though...maybe your Dells, a pint and a bag of chips?

Social source share

link

a bit high on Margo and the Marvettes,about 50max,I also prefer this version but Dee Dees is more soulful,Margo and the Marvettes are a white group from Ireland and it sounds great at a big hall.M+M is a better dancer mind IMO.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I do have a Yum Yums and I'll play that as well Mikey. As for swapping it for your Dells, though...maybe your Dells, a pint and a bag of chips?

link

A pint and a bag of chips?? I dont live in London any more Dan, they are cheap as....well...chips down here whistling.gif

Social source share

a bit high on Margo and the Marvettes,about 50max,I also prefer this version but Dee Dees is  more soulful,Margo and the Marvettes are a white group from Ireland and it sounds great at a big hall.M+M is a better dancer mind IMO.

link

I took the price from an old manship catalogue I think!

I wouldnt pay more than 50 for it in any case even though its very good whistling.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

backdoor here!!!i used to go for margo`s version,i have a couple o copy`s no way worth £50come on you dealers get real?d d`s version should be worth £50,any body wanna swopp a margo for a d d,let me know,demo please,thanks joe for mention in your thread.yours ken backdoor100club

Social source share

Another wicked cheapie that should be 're-activated' is Dee Dee Warwick's 'When Love Slips Away' on Mercury.  Thanks to Backdoor Kenny playing this during a Sunday afternoon session at Cleethorpes, I instantly feel in love with Dee Dee's dulcet tones and I play this whenever I can shoe horn it into a set..........and on the B side is an old 8Ts cover up 'House of Gold' which was covered up as 'Hey Senor'...so a good double sider  shhh.gif Jo

link

For me, this is the best and most soulful version, no exceptions!!!

I always play it out and champion it when I can, another great cheap and overlooked side crying out for some attention.

Still causes a spillage...lol

cheers

Paul :wub:

Social source share

For me, this is the best and most soulful version, no exceptions!!!

I always play it out and champion it when I can, another great cheap and overlooked side crying out for some attention.

Still causes a spillage...lol

cheers

Paul :wub:

link

Dee Dee, the best shhh.gif

Does anyone have a copy of "Where is that rainbow" ? I Want one !

Social source share

Another wicked cheapie that should be 're-activated' is Dee Dee Warwick's 'When Love Slips Away' on Mercury.  Thanks to Backdoor Kenny playing this during a Sunday afternoon session at Cleethorpes, I instantly feel in love with Dee Dee's dulcet tones and I play this whenever I can shoe horn it into a set..........and on the B side is an old 8Ts cover up 'House of Gold' which was covered up as 'Hey Senor'...so a good double sider  shhh.gif Jo

link

Stunning tune, and by far the best version IMO, I just love the throaty piano, and Dee Dee has one of the finest voices around IMo so much better then her sis Dionne, Fav Northern of Dee Dee's is "Do It With All Your Heart" fav soulful one is "You Dont Know" even love her original version of "Youre No Good" over Betty Everette's Think this would go down great on today's scene.

Steve

Social source share

a bit high on Margo and the Marvettes,about 50max,I also prefer this version but Dee Dees is  more soulful,Margo and the Marvettes are a white group from Ireland and it sounds great at a big hall.M+M is a better dancer mind IMO.

link

Rumour has it over here that she's actually Daniel O'Donnells big sister

John

Social source share

backdoor here!!!i used to go for margo`s version,i have a couple o copy`s no way worth £50come on you dealers get real?d d`s version should be worth £50,any body wanna swopp a margo for a d d,let me know,demo please,thanks joe for mention in your thread.yours ken backdoor100club

link

Hi Kenny

I'd gladly swap a dd for a margo........unfortunately my dd is only an issue

John

Social source share

Well done to Mr Wiggles on the Dee Dee sound clip. WHAT A CHOON!!!!!!!!

link

Margo does it best for me- but theres a very edgy version by The Identities too.

Social source share

Dee Dee along with Martha Reeves "Love Guess Who" are two of the best stripping records (I would Imagine?)

Phil

link

Love Guess Who has become one of my all time faves... I'll listen to it a new light now. Wonder if I can get my Mrs to put your theory to the test! :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Love Guess Who has become one of my all time faves...  I'll listen to it a new light now. Wonder if I can get my Mrs to put your theory to the test!  :yes:   :thumbsup:

link

Jesus Christ Rowly!

Just don't join in. Good job you live in the middle of nowhere behind your electric gates - the world's not ready for that!

Besides, won't it frighten the horses?

Social source share

Jesus Christ Rowly!

Just don't join in. Good job you live in the middle of nowhere behind your electric gates - the world's not ready for that!

Besides, won't it frighten the horses?

link

Says the man who was running around my gaff in his Boxers, baseballcap, strategically placed rosette & a monkey on his back!

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Says the man who was running around my gaff in his Boxers, baseballcap, strategically placed rosette & a monkey on his back!

link

Ahem. That's all thanks to the kind soul who put the LSD in my mushroom tea! :thumbup:

Social source share

I just love Dee Dee Warwick, I bought a CD comp of her Mercury and Blue Rock sides, it got some great songs, I really enjoyed hearing for the first time the originals of Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself (The Zombies) and I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (The Supremes/Temptations). Also northern classics such as Worth Every Tear I Cry & Locked In Your Love. Brilliant version of Alfie and Ring Of Bright Water. I recently saw that ROBW the movie was to be broadcast and waited up late to hear Dee Dee sing the theme, only to be greeted with Val Doonican!! Maybe her version was used on the US release?

TTM

Just posted up a email of thanks to members regarding this thread in the front page section

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=32

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!