NEV

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

wouldn't say frowned upon. Only way to hear some of the releases (or was) as they were unissued previously.

Hi Chalky

reason i ask is ,ive seen a few copies of "sheppards-stubborn heart/how do you like it" on ebay for arond£30-£50 mark .

same as the original mirwood release. why was it released??

Nev :wicked:

Social source share

Hi Chalky

reason i ask is ,ive seen a few copies of "sheppards-stubborn heart/how do you like it" on ebay for arond£30-£50 mark .

Nev :wicked:

JayBoy was part of the President set up.

Between those two labels they released scores of otherwise 'rare' or unobtainable Soul records.

I'd have said that JayBoy was the bedrock of most UK Soulboys collections in the early 70's.

Frown on 'em if you dare!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

JayBoy was part of the President set up.

Between those two labels they released scores of otherwise 'rare' or unobtainable Soul records.

I'd have said that JayBoy was the bedrock of most UK Soulboys collections in the early 70's.

:wicked:

Sean

Jay Boy released quite a few Mirwood titles with the same A / B Side as the Mirwood Original.

Not the only Label to do this, However Jay Boy is a Label that is quite collectable, good sound quality etc. :rolleyes:

Olympics - The Same Old Thing / I'll Do A Little Bit More

Mirwood_5529a_DJ_V.jpg-Mirwood_5529a_B_V.jpg-Action_ACT-4556b-1.jpg-Jay_Boy_BOY_74a.jpg

Mirwood_5529b_DJ_V.jpg-Mirwood_5529b_B_V.jpg-Action_ACT-4556a-1.jpg-Jay_Boy_BOY_74b.jpg

One of their best, and a Double Sider Too

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

dont know how true this was,but i was told

that the first pressings (SOUL SOUNDS)

were pressed at Presidents pressing plant ?

was this true,or a urban mith from years ago ?

Hi Keithw

The Deadwax Stamp and general appearance suggests they were, anyone know? :thumbsup:

Social source share

LOADS OF PEOPLE STILL PICKING UP JAYBOY STUFF WHEN I STARTED COLLECTING IN 1978,THE DEMOS LOOK LOVELY ,I KNOW MY MATE GAZ SIMONS HAS A BUCKETT LOAD.THE LOGO OBVIUOSLY SHOT TO INTERNATIONAL STARTOM WITH THE GEORGE MC RAE RELEASES.

GREAT LOGO OFTEN OVERLOOKED BY THE PURISTS ! :thumbsup:

BAZ A.

Social source share

I always think it was such a pity that Ray Merrell did the vocal on this. Fantastic backing track let down by a very lacklustre vocal.(in a "Northern Soul" context, I'm not saying he can't sing in his own way)

And no, I'm not a "must be a black artist" purist.

I just hate the vocal on it.

Apart from that. I absolutely love Jayboy, because it was by far the greatest label in my youth when first getting into the music. In particular, I think that the Mirwood setup are the real epitome of the northern sound, in my opinion more so than anything from Detroit or Chicago. I think the treason I believe this is because most of the big tracks were Dance records, as opposed to Soul.

Hope I'm not being Controversial :thumbsup:

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

LOADS OF PEOPLE STILL PICKING UP JAYBOY STUFF WHEN I STARTED COLLECTING IN 1978,THE DEMOS LOOK LOVELY ,I KNOW MY MATE GAZ SIMONS HAS A BUCKETT LOAD.THE LOGO OBVIUOSLY SHOT TO INTERNATIONAL STARTOM WITH THE GEORGE MC RAE RELEASES.

GREAT LOGO OFTEN OVERLOOKED BY THE PURISTS ! :yes:

BAZ A.

HOW DO BAZ :thumbsup:

PURISTS???? WHO CARES ABOUT THEM ANYWAY.ITS ABOUT MUSIC AFTER ALL!

NEVER MET ONE YET THAT WAS'NT OR IS'NT A HYPOCRITE!

LOOK FORWARD TO SEEIN YA SOON ,MAYBE JOE'S BAR OR EVEN B4 :P

MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE MADE IT SUCH AN INTERESTING THREAD!

GIVE YERSELVES A BIG PAT ON THE BACK CHAPS :thumbsup::thumbup::yes:

HAVE A GOOD BANK HOLS TOO

NEV

Social source share

HOW DO BAZ :yes:

PURISTS???? WHO CARES ABOUT THEM ANYWAY.ITS ABOUT MUSIC AFTER ALL!

NEVER MET ONE YET THAT WAS'NT OR IS'NT A HYPOCRITE!

LOOK FORWARD TO SEEIN YA SOON ,MAYBE JOE'S BAR OR EVEN B4 :thumbsup:

MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE MADE IT SUCH AN INTERESTING THREAD!

GIVE YERSELVES A BIG PAT ON THE BACK CHAPS :thumbsup::thumbup::yes:

HAVE A GOOD BANK HOLS TOO

NEV

yeah your right nev ,purists never sure what it means anyway,all them purists have the odd occasional murial day in them,i think joes barr will be great dug some lovely modern out for the night also as well as loads of overlooked seventies .

BAZ A.

PS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE MIGHTY CARLO AGAIN[THE STORIES I COULD TELL OF HIM,TASTE IN MUSIC IMPECCAPLE ALSO].

Social source share

yeah your right nev ,purists never sure what it means anyway,all them purists have the odd occasional murial day in them,i think joes barr will be great dug some lovely modern out for the night also as well as loads of overlooked seventies .

BAZ A.

PS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE MIGHTY CARLO AGAIN[THE STORIES I COULD TELL OF HIM,TASTE IN MUSIC IMPECCAPLE ALSO].

GOTTA GO BAZ ,AMERICAN IDOL IS ON ! :thumbsup::thumbup::yes:

CIAO FOR NOW

Social source share

I always think it was such a pity that Ray Merrell did the vocal on this. Fantastic backing track let down by a very lacklustre vocal.(in a "Northern Soul" context, I'm not saying he can't sing in his own way)

And no, I'm not a "must be a black artist" purist.

I just hate the vocal on it.

Paul

imo - its a great NS record :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Chalky

Nev :thumbsup:

'Cos Jay-Boy had the rights to the Mirwood catalogue!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

=========

im currently spinning sugar,sugar,sugar by willie & anthony ,,old mecca spin...also

ruby wilson - no.01 in my heart......

note: The other side of the Willie & Anthony record is "It's Never Too Late", and it's a fabulous "old school" type wailing ballad in the Sam & Dave vein. Hard to find on US Blue Candle, and recommended for Deep Soul freaks everywhere!

Social source share

Thought Ray Merrell Tears of Joy was the rarest/costliest on the label?

Julian

and probably the worst on the label imo,very sorry for that!!! :thumbsup:whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:thumbsup:

Sean

Quite right! That Jay Boy fed us fledgling Soul Boys plenty of good sides C.1972-4. Just releasing Jackie Lee's "Oh My Darlin" and the Fi-Dels make them worthy of honours for a start, and many of us were only too glad to be able to buy "That Beating Rhythm", "Cigarette Ashes", "The Temptation Walk", Jimmy Thomas, Phillip Mitchell, Dreams etc. when they came out in the UK, plus the re-issues Jay Boy put out like Erma Franklin's "Piece Of My Heart" - and Doris Duke's first UK release (as Doris Willingham) too.

The fact is that the aforementioned "purists" who turn their noses up at UK Jay Boy would have been most unlikely to have owned original US copies of all the Mirwood and Shout sides back then, as they were very rare and in-demand. It's only much later that they were able to acquire their endless sets of Mirwood Demos, issues and assorted variations on the cheap as larger quantities were turned up by record dealers!

(What a pity though that the lousy Ray Merrill side takes up so much of this thread when we could be celebrating the genuine SOUL sides Jay Boy issued)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I think I have all the jay boy collection.....

some good some bad.... :thumbsup:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

(What a pity though that the lousy Ray Merrill side takes up so much of this thread when we should be celebrating the great SOUL sides Jay Boy issued)

I'm sorry but this calls for Ken Williams;

shock.jpg

Ray Merrell is the best one on the label! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ray Merrell is the best one on the label! yes.gif

You're actually saying that a mediocre pop record by Ray Merrill is better than either Jackie Lee or the Fi-Dels? or Phillip Mitchell? or the great deep soul side by Willie & Anthony? :P right...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

You're actually saying that a mediocre pop record by Ray Merrill is better than either Jackie Lee or the Fi-Dels? or Phillip Mitchell? or the great deep soul side by Willie & Anthony? :P right...

...or Doris Willingham "You Can't Do That" ... or the 'other' (much more expensive but equally brilliant) Phillip Mitchell (The World Needs More People).... or James Conwell "Second Hand Hapiness"... Exciters "You Know It Aint Right" or even George McCrae "It's Been So Long".... no, he can't be Mel.

shades.gif

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

The best one you forgot to mention so far.

and only issued in the UK (i believe) is

Jay Boy 24 The Invitations - HOW'D YOU EVER GET THIS WAY c/w PICKING UP

PS in my personal experience the DEMO of Ray Merrell is maybe 5 times harder to find..but that's just me, someone else maybe has had more promo's than stock's.

We have loads of collectors who trying to run the series and even the later numbers sell like wildfire, especially if they are a promo.

As for the Soulboys and the bedrock comments. I absolutely agree, me and my mates just went to Ainley's in Leicester and ordered ANY Jay Boy record on the strength that it must be soul..and most probably good.

I'd say after Tamla Motown, Sue, Stateside & Action. JayBoy is probably the next most collectable UK soul label..

Sound Sounds I believe were pressed @President and there's another story and another highly sought after UK label..

Even after almost 40 years I still love to see those UK label we rumaged around for in our youth..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

PS in my personal experience the DEMO of Ray Merrell is maybe 5 times harder to find..but that's just me, someone else maybe has had more promo's than stock's.

We have loads of collectors who trying to run the series and even the later numbers sell like wildfire, especially if they are a promo.

As for the Soulboys and the bedrock comments. I absolutely agree, me and my mates just went to Ainley's in Leicester and ordered ANY Jay Boy record on the strength that it must be soul..and most probably good.

I'd say after Tamla Motown, Sue, Stateside & Action. JayBoy is probably the next most collectable UK soul label..

Sound Sounds I believe were pressed @President and there's another story and another highly sought after UK label..

Even after almost 40 years I still love to see those UK label we rumaged around for in our youth..

Edited by ken
Social source share

Absolutely right John, the Invitations release is UK only and top draw up-tempo Northern and must surely be one of the hardest if not the hardest on the label, no?

What would be its current market value ?

One can only make an educated guess and surmise that they must have recorded the track in a UK studio while touring in the late 60's.

Were they also not one of those groups that were falsely misrepresented by dodgy club promoters as being the real Temptations or Impressions ?

Social source share

Were they also not one of those groups that were falsely misrepresented by dodgy club promoters as being the real Temptations or Impressions ?

They toured as The Drifters, as I recall.

As a schoolboy me and a mate went to The Broken Wheel at Retford (71 ish) to see the Drifters... and I'm sure it was actually the Invitations but didn't realise it at the time.

Reminds me of the time my Sister went to see The Flirtations. They were billed as An 'Original Motown Group'... but (apart from The Flirtations never having recorded for Motown) turned out to be three Leggy Blondes... from Putney.

Say no more!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

They toured as The Drifters, as I recall.

As a schoolboy me and a mate went to The Broken Wheel at Retford (71 ish) to see the Drifters... and I'm sure it was actually the Invitations but didn't realise it at the time.

Reminds me of the time my Sister went to see The Flirtations. They were billed as An 'Original Motown Group'... but (apart from The Flirtations never having recorded for Motown) turned out to be three Leggy Blondes... from Putney.

Say no more!

Sean Hampsey

Here's a flyer for the Invitations from I think 1967 Sean on the Cheltenham leg of their tour, toured as the All Star Drifters promoted by Roy Tempest. Jerry Hipkiss originally posted this flyer on the Rare Soul Forum.

post-225-1178522645_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Yup, can confirm that the flyer is from '67. And I'm sure I've said this before, but with todays audio standards, some of the Jay Boy stuff really shows as being dubbed from a US 45, Dreams Band in particular but some of the Mirwood stuff as well (Jimmy Thomas springs to mind). Not that I'm complaining, it was the only way we could get the tunes at the time, but I always found the Action (and later, Contempo) Mirwood reissues superior in sound quality.

Jerry.

Social source share

You're actually saying that a mediocre pop record by Ray Merrill is better than either Jackie Lee or the Fi-Dels? or Phillip Mitchell? or the great deep soul side by Willie & Anthony? :shades: right...

It's not better than the Fi dels or Jimmy Conwell or The Sheppards but it is great

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

...or Doris Willingham "You Can't Do That" ... or the 'other' (much more expensive but equally brilliant) Phillip Mitchell (The World Needs More People).... or James Conwell "Second Hand Hapiness"... Exciters "You Know It Aint Right" or even George McCrae "It's Been So Long".... no, he can't be Mel.

:shades:

Sean

Sean I knew you would pick on Doris Willingham .

Always a top tip from Dave Godin - it's a brilliant record (play it right to end though so you can dig the guitar solo when it fades)

I reckon Bully would give it a 10 :shades:

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

Sean I knew you would pick on Doris Willigham .

Always a top tip from Dave Godin - it's a brilliant record (play it right to end though so you can dig the guitar solo when it fades)

I reckon Bully would give it a 10 :shades:

Came out in the USA as well - looks weird seeing a Jayboy import

Social source share

Guest martyn

When I first started collecting I would say 25% of my records were on JayBoy,paper boys money didnt stretch to US originals in them days.I think the only one I have left is Cigarete Ashes,wish I'd kept em all now instead of being a :shades: & selling when they became regarded as 'cheepies'.

Social source share

Came out in the USA as well - looks weird seeing a Jayboy import

That's right Pete, it was one of my first import 45's.

Picked up the US copy in a local shop around 1970 for a couple of bob and after getting a UK Demo sold it to Andy Whitmore in '84.

Lo and behold, in 1998 he turned up at The Phoenix with a small box of stuff for sale and I couldn't resist buying it back off him!

Paid (just) a bit more than a couple of bob though... but it was nice to have one of my first collectors pieces back.

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!