Kentucky Fried Citizens

Simsy

I think the general feeling is from most soulies, they don't really mind the Northern tracks that have been played on the KFC ads and well, perhaps that is fair enough.

I must confess to (perhaps) over reacting just a tad when they first came out, tracking down the ad agency etc. They wouldn't give me a name, so I wrote to the marketing director and basically asked the question why was it necessary for them to play rare soul music, what's wrong with mainstream stuff, citizens love a bit of Freda Payne, or Aretha etc. Perhaps I was being naive and it would have cost them fortunes to play the mainstream stuff, but it got me thinking, someone there knows all this and that prompted me to include a particularly venomous line about "shame on you, shame on you". "How could you sell our wonderful music down the river for some fried chicken". I never got a reply, but I did hear later that a quite namey scene dj was behind it, so I asked him outright and he denied it.

As stated some may say I need to chill, but I just knew these mofo's would come back from Ibiza with their rising inflections saying "yeah I know all about that fried chicken music you listen to". Sure enough I was dj'ing at a do in the Harpenden Rugby Club a while back, playing mostly Northern, when this bird came up to me and said "I really like those fried chicken songs you played".

AAAAAAAAAAAgggggggggghhhhhhhh, I haven't spent the last twenty plus years, thousands of pounds, thousands of man hours giving this music, this scene my all to have some whip dick have any kind of insight into what wer'e about.

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting? :)

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think the general feeling is from most soulies, they don't really mind the Northern tracks that have been played on the KFC ads and well, perhaps that is fair enough. 

I must confess to (perhaps) over reacting just a tad when they first came out, tracking down the ad agency etc.  They wouldn't give me a name, so I wrote to the marketing director and basically asked the question why was it necessary for them to play rare soul music, what's wrong with mainstream stuff, citizens love a bit of Freda Payne, or Aretha etc.  Perhaps I was being naive and it would have cost them fortunes to play the mainstream stuff, but it got me thinking, someone there knows all this and that prompted me to include a particularly venomous line about "shame on you, shame on you". "How could you sell our wonderful music down the river for some fried chicken".  I never got a reply, but I did hear later that a quite namey scene dj was behind it, so I asked him outright and he denied it.

As stated some may say I need to chill, but I just knew these mofo's would come back from Ibiza with their rising inflections saying "yeah I know all about that fried chicken music you listen to". Sure enough I was dj'ing at a do in the Harpenden Rugby Club a while back, playing mostly Northern, when this bird came up to me and said "I really like those fried chicken songs you played".

AAAAAAAAAAAgggggggggghhhhhhhh, I haven't spent the last twenty plus years, thousands of pounds, thousands of man hours giving this music, this scene my all to have some whip dick have any kind of insight into what wer'e about.

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting?  :)

link

Had something to do with the guy at the ad agency who were contracted being into "our stuff".... or so I'm reliably informed....

Same as the felix cat food ones.... and some more that escape my memory....

Social source share

It doesnt matter in the slightest if KFC use rare soul to sell chicken in my opinion. Firstly it has been maybe 2 years since they began the campaign and it has made no difference to our scene whatsoever. Has anyone genuinely met someone at a soul event who has decided to check out a rare soul event since seeing the ads? I would be surprised if anyone has. To most people these songs are forgotten about once Coronation Street returns to the screen.

KFC will be changing their campaign soon like all the major companies do and the rare soul element will be gone forever.

Shane

Social source share

It doesnt matter in the slightest if KFC use rare soul to sell chicken in my opinion. Firstly it has been maybe 2 years since they began the campaign and it has made no difference to our scene whatsoever. Has anyone genuinely met someone at a soul event who has decided to check out a rare soul event since seeing the ads? I would be surprised if anyone has. To most people these songs are forgotten about once Coronation Street returns to the screen.

KFC will be changing their campaign soon like all the major companies do and the rare soul element will be gone forever.

Shane

link

I hope so Shane. I wrote the letter two years ago. I've been waiting for a change but it's still running. I don't care whether chicken ad viewers show up at our do's, but some of my listed points do rankle. Anyway, I was just interested to know what you dudes thought.

Cheers.

Social source share

I don't mind the use of soul tracks for ads either, what ticks me off is that as soon as something appears on an ad the price of the record triples.

Phil.

Social source share

I hope so Shane. I wrote the letter two years ago. I've been waiting for a change but it's still running.  I don't care whether chicken ad viewers show up at our do's, but some of my listed points do rankle.  Anyway, I was just interested to know what you dudes thought.

Cheers.

link

I understand the points above but, i actually met a young lad last year aged 18/19 who was burbling on about Californian Soul from a kfc advert as well as the others of that time he did the research and is now hooked, as i posted elsewhere here where i live a lot of younger people are turning to soul, wearing the patches/badges etc... especially at our local football team here on our forum footie forum soul thread a couple of threads have started about the music... i have stated on another thread eleswhere that before KO we play Northern soul and at half time and the end of matches we usually play in front of 1500/1800 so a big audience, thus far this season we have had a few compliments on our choice of music as it not mainstream....

Social source share

I understand the points above but, i actually met a young lad last year aged 18/19 who was burbling on about Californian Soul from a kfc advert as well as the others of that time he did the research and  is now hooked, as i posted elsewhere here where i live a lot of younger people are turning to soul, wearing the patches/badges etc... especially at our local football team here on our forum footie forum soul thread a couple of threads have started about the music... i have stated on another thread eleswhere that before KO we play Northern soul and at half time and the end of matches we usually play in front of 1500/1800 so a big audience, thus far this season we have had a few compliments on our choice of music as it not mainstream....

link

No that's a good thing, young people bothering to do research is good and getting hooked, spot on. As someone said recently, on Stuart McConie's show, this is the best music in the world. Easy on the badges! :)

Cheers.

Social source share

I must confess to (perhaps) over reacting just a tad when they first came out, tracking down the ad agency etc.  They wouldn't give me a name, so I wrote to the marketing director and basically asked the question why was it necessary for them to play rare soul music, what's wrong with mainstream stuff, citizens love a bit of Freda Payne, or Aretha etc.  Perhaps I was being naive and it would have cost them fortunes to play the mainstream stuff, but it got me thinking, someone there knows all this and that prompted me to include a particularly venomous line about "shame on you, shame on you". "How could you sell our wonderful music down the river for some fried chicken".  I never got a reply, but I did hear later that a quite namey scene dj was behind it, so I asked him outright and he denied it.

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting?  :)

link

=========

Think it's a slight over reaction, remember the 70Ts when we used to dance in a normal club, and then a crowd would form, mumbling about....there's a bloke over there doing the footsee. Never really worried me at all, just carried on enjoying the music :(

Winnie:-)

Social source share

=========

Think it's a slight over reaction, remember the 70Ts when we used to dance in a normal club, and then a crowd would form, mumbling about....there's a bloke over there doing the footsee. Never really worried me at all, just carried on enjoying the music :)

link

I hear you win. If I were a name dj though I would have turned that down, someone there had insider knowledge and did sell us out. Shame.

Social source share

Shane

link

At Dundee- People camre in because they wanted to hear the Kentuck fried Chicken music and kept coming back because they like d the music :)

Social source share

I think the new one where they sing at each other is hilarious!

Reminds me of that comedy sketch that Reeves and Mortimer did where they were blacked up singing 3 blind mice Luther Vandros stylee.

Not very PC but funny nevertheless

Jodie

Social source share

I must confess to (perhaps) over reacting just a tad when they first came out, tracking down the ad agency etc.  They wouldn't give me a name, so I wrote to the marketing director and basically asked the question why was it necessary for them to play rare soul music, what's wrong with mainstream stuff, citizens love a bit of Freda Payne, or Aretha etc.

link

Get a life mate................

Social source share

I don't care if they use 'our' music to flog chicken (it's not 'ours', it's the artists' and writers' and if they got paid, great).

If it opens it up to one more person that's a good thing.

I've always hated this exclusive, ring-fencing attitude to northern; I remember getting into northern in the early 80s as a kid fresh from the scooter scene. If was basically a 50-50 split: some older soulies looked down on you encroaching on their territory and some welcomed you with open arms. I know which lot I preferred!

What we need is a massive upsurge in interest - queues outside venues, CD sales going through the roof. Two years on, a lot of people would have drifted away but plenty more would stick around, providing the next generation of soulies. Which, at the moment, ain't there...and with attitudes like yours, Ian, will never be there. No offence, just the way I feel.

Social source share

I don't care if they use 'our' music to flog chicken (it's not 'ours', it's the artists' and writers' and if they got paid, great).

If it opens it up to one more person that's a good thing.

I've always hated this exclusive, ring-fencing attitude to northern; I remember getting into northern in the early 80s as a kid fresh from the scooter scene. If was basically a 50-50 split: some older soulies looked down on you encroaching on their territory and some welcomed you with open arms. I know which lot I preferred!

What we need is a massive upsurge in interest - queues outside venues, CD sales going through the roof. Two years on, a lot of people would have drifted away but plenty more would stick around, providing the next generation of soulies. Which, at the moment, ain't there...and with attitudes like yours, Ian, will never be there. No offence, just the way I feel.

link

Fair point Dan. I came in through the mod back door in the early eighties also. Nothing at all against new blood. Just didn't want to see a quality scene cheapend thats all. :)

Social source share

I , what's wrong with mainstream stuff, citizens love a bit of Freda Payne, or Aretha etc.

Citizens ?

Who came up with that load of bollocks ? Who are we now, the American mafia .Another pretentious buzz word that makes people feel elite. Theres enough bullshit going on without people talking like they are in a cheap gangster film. And we laugh at non soul people ?

For fcuks sake, lets grow up.

Steve

Social source share

Not just aimed at you Ian, saw it a couple of days ago on another thread. Its just posing IMO.

link

Cool, citizen may be a poxy term but I don't know what you'd call non soulies. By the way, your not Steve "stop your killing me Steve" are you?

Social source share

Cool, citizen may be a poxy term but I don't know what you'd call non soulies.  By the way, your not Steve "stop your killing me Steve" are you?

link

Only by boring you to death :)

Seriously Ian, not me. (At least I don't think so )

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Interesting topic. I'm split 2 ways. The veggie in me doesnt want 'our' music selling dead animals in breadcrumbs. but I tend to agree with Dan, that if a few young 'uns get hooked, and lets face it the alternatives at the moment are hardly appealing, then Northern Soul as a whole only benefits. There will be teething troubles, and guys will get stroppy when you wont play the records they want, but in the longer term we might make some new mates, and share our weekends with lots more like minded souls.

Social source share

if a few young 'uns get hooked, and lets face it the alternatives at the moment are hardly appealing, then Northern Soul as a whole only benefits. There will be teething troubles, and guys will get stroppy when you wont play the records they want, but in the longer term we might make some new mates, and share our weekends with lots more like minded souls.

link

hi Mikey, what do you mean by the alternatives??

& i always get stroppy when noone plays the records i wanna hear whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

hey, i dont think there's much hope of the 'youth of today' getting into northern. they're all off chasing funk 45s, dope beats & the like

link

Yeah, I guess so. But this music is too good for the scene to fizzle out completely. I've been to nighters that have been sparse over the years, but on the upside, there's always plenty of room to dance! If it was a choice between the above or those 'drinks on the dancefloor' types I referred to in my other thread, I know what I'd prefer.

Nothing against new blood though - peace whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

hi Mikey, what do you mean by the alternatives??

& i always get stroppy when noone plays the records i wanna hear :wicked::shades:

link

I was in Pizza hut with my girlfriend and her 6 year old the other night. The tape playing had the most stomach churning amount of sub standard Karaoke songs passed off as pop music, by bands like (Callum told me), Girls Allowed, Beyonce etc. If I was a pimply hormonal youth, I would once again be looking for alternatives, just like I did when the charts was over-run with rubbish like David Bowie and Elton John :thumbsup: , or quality like Mud, The Rubettes and Showaddywaddy whistling.gif

But part from janine, how many of us want to hear Dobie Grey at every night? Once in a while is fine. Which is actually the case for just about every track I can think of.

Social source share

Reminds me of the sightseers that invaded the scene in 74/75 because of documentries and "Northern" records in the charts. Most of them didn't stay long, but a lot of those who did are still around to this day. I'm sure that during the mod revival in 79 the same things were being said. Personally I like the KFC adds. I hadn't played stuff like Bob Brady and Bobby Garrett for years and I am now appreciating these sounds again. Also I can't stand the latest one when the family are singing.

Paul

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

hi mikey,

err, they were probably playing a cd not a tape - & it's Girls ALOUD. they are top pop stunnas :yes: . I probably love all that 70s pop stuff you hate

whistling.gif   :thumbsup:   :wicked:   :shades:

link

I actually kinda like it in a slapstick party kinda way now Wendy. Actually I love all Bowie's stuff, and have seen him quite a few times.

CDs you say, hmm interesting wink.gif

Social source share

Fair point Dan.  I came in through the mod back door in the early eighties also.  Nothing at all against new blood.  Just didn't want to see a quality scene cheapend thats all.  whistling.gif

link

Fair dos Ian, no offence intended.

Dan

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting?  whistling.gif

link

Calm down, its just some old records and KFC is better than Burger King so just be grateful. Classical music lovers don't make all this fuss. :thumbsup:

Social source share

First lot of ads didn't bother me that much, that is until the current spate of Kentucky adverts arrived. The new ads are still on a Soul theme (with a Soul Food strap line) and having highlighted soul music to the general public in the previous campaign, then goes ahead and takes the P**s out of the genre.

For those of you who haven't seen the latest ads, it shows a family having a pop at each other through singing in (what they feel) a 70s soul song (a very stereotypical soul song! lots of crooning, warbling etc)

So on one hand soul music is cool, dig it whilst plying footy in headlights and scoffing chicken, next round its parody for a bunch of miffs to giggle at! whistling.gif

Social source share

I remember DJ'ing at my local for a mate's birthday when Bobby Garrett, Jackie Wilson et al were still fairly current. I thought I can spin those so at least the punters would have heard something before. All the feedback I got was in the nature of nice music, but hadn't heard any of it before type. So maybe the impact of the KFC ads isn't as great as people think.

Social source share

First lot of ads didn't bother me that much, that is until the current spate of Kentucky adverts arrived. The new ads are still on a Soul theme (with a Soul Food strap line) and having highlighted soul music to the general public in the previous campaign, then goes ahead and takes the P**s out of the genre.

For those of you who haven't seen the latest ads, it shows a family having a pop at each other through singing in (what they feel) a 70s soul song (a very stereotypical soul song! lots of crooning, warbling etc)

So on one hand soul music is cool, dig it whilst plying footy in headlights and scoffing chicken, next round its parody for a bunch of miffs to giggle at! whistling.gif

link

Hear hear :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

So maybe the impact of the KFC ads isn't as great as people think.

link

I disagree Andy. Whenever I hear any of these records now I have cravings for deep fried rat fat with a crispy coating. This is why I try to avoid oldies nights.

Social source share

I remember DJ'ing at my local for a mate's birthday when Bobby Garrett, Jackie Wilson et al were still fairly current. I thought I can spin those so at least the punters would have heard something before. All the feedback I got was in the nature of  nice music, but hadn't heard any of it before type. So maybe the impact of the KFC ads isn't as great as people think.

link

===========

totally agree with you Andy, think it's actually had very little effect at all. There's not been hoardes of screaming youngsters appearing demanding Bobby Garrett, or Bob Brady etc. The tunes may have pricked the memories of some people who used to be into it, and hadn't realised there was still a scene going on. Don't think that's a bad thing:-)

Personally I think we sometimes disappear up our own arses with this, keep the scene pure thing.....it's a music scene.....it's there to be enjoyed.....there are no rules for who can and can't be part of it.

It would be interesting to know how ex-wheelies viewed the Casino opening, and it's subsequent influence on the scene. ie; bringing in loads of new soulies.

Everyone discovers different things in different ways. Some have said they came in via the scooter scene in the early 80Ts......didn't quadrophenia spark the resurgance in Mods around that time? The point I'm making is that anybody and everybody is and should be accepted, providing they're genuine whistling.gif

Social source share

Personally I think we sometimes disappear up our own arses with this, keep the scene pure thing.....it's a music scene.....it's there to be enjoyed.....there are no rules for who can and can't be part of it.

The point I'm making is that anybody and everybody is and should be accepted, providing they're genuine whistling.gif

northern soul isnt 'cool,' it's way too much trouble to get into it via a 'greatest hits' compilation or whatever. so everyone that is into it IS genuine, though i dont know about saying mods (or anyone!) has credibility just for being into retro stuff

Social source share

northern soul isnt 'cool,' it's way too much trouble to get into it via a 'greatest hits' compilation or whatever. so everyone that is into it IS genuine, though i dont know about saying mods (or anyone!) has credibility just for being into retro stuff

link

Northern Soul not cool ???? It's straight from the fridge baby!!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting?  :thumbsup:

link

I have no problem at all hearing Northern tunes played on adverts, in fact I get a buzz out of it!

Same with the old Felix ads too...

Ian - Why do you feel they were/are selling our music down the river?

Surely for a minority music, the exposure was unbelievable. I'da thought every soulie would be like me, buzzing at hearing tunes which never usually get the exposure, we feel, fully deserve. Altho fellow citizens :shades: probably had no idea they were even listening to Northern! whistling.gif

Hey don't just keep it, spread it too! :wicked:

Sam

Social source share

I have no problem at all hearing Northern tunes played on adverts, in fact I get a buzz out of it!

Same with the old Felix ads too...

Ian - Why do you feel they were/are selling our music down the river?

Surely for a minority music, the exposure was unbelievable. I'da thought every soulie would be like me, buzzing at hearing tunes which never usually get the exposure, we feel, fully deserve. Altho fellow citizens  :wicked: probably had no idea they were even listening to Northern! rolleyes.gif

Hey don't just keep it, spread it too!  :thumbsup:

Sam

link

I hear you Sam, I started out by saying most people on our scene feel as you do. It's not fried chicken music as the bird in Harpenden said. Fast food really is rubbish food and to associate that with with the quality music we listen to was just a little unsettling thats all. But no giggie, didn't want to go OTT on this. I'm off home for me dinner, let's hope she's not made me fried chicken!

Social source share

link

AGREED. The diversity of people on the scene nowadays shows how many different ways people have got into it. I'm not going to judge anyone who got into it via TV, I don't know what "genuine" in this context means.

I want as many to hear this music as is possible, it's the best music I have ever heard and has changed my life, if it does that to anyone else I'm glad. Sure the scene will change, but everything's got to evolve.

We need to encourage young 'uns, you can count how many twenty-somethings there are going out on just two hands (probably).

Also I don't think you need to be into retro, it stands up enough to be timeless

Social source share

I think its top if people are getting into the music even if they are hearing it on the tv. Who cares how they hear it. You shouldn't have to have an amazing story about how you got into the music or on the scene. If a young lad or lass heard those songs on tv and suddenly thought " wow, this is amazing stuff... i need to hear more", and then they go to a local night and get hooked then great. Whats wrong with that.

Surely this should be encouraged so that in years to come people are still out there on the floor keeping the music alive.

Why do a certain crowd like to think that this music is theirs and want to take it to their graves. Its pathetic.

I've been on the scene for about a year and listening for about 3 years and i might not know all the artists or have a mega record collection, but the point is i love the music and its changed my life.

If the KFC ads bring this great music into more young people's lives then FANTASTIC!!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

We need to encourage young 'uns,

link

But for a start we could stop calling anyone under the age of 35 or whatever it is "young uns" and accept them as being equal members of the scene? Not necessarily "to encourage" them but just not treat them like second class citizens should be enough.

This shouldn't be a retro scene (except in so far as the music is old) but sadly with the preponderence of oldies and the same old sounds on playlists (due to popular demand) it is certainly starting to look like one to me.

Bored of SE10

Social source share

Now tell me, if that's a fact am I over reacting?  rolleyes.gif

link

Thats 'citizens' for you Ian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!