What Was The First Record You Paid " Real " Mony For ?

When recently listening to a compilation CD of old club classics , one particular track , besides the obvious memories associated with it , brought back the recollection that it was the first record that I had really paid money for ......

The record was Bud Harper " Mr Soul " .......

42 years on , I cannot recall now the exact price that I paid for it , but I know it cost me most of the weekly wage that I earned at that time .....

But it was worth it .....

What was the first record that you broke the bank for ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing - Stateside.

bought it from Select-a-disc Nottingham for £10

I was earning £12 a week at the time as a gasfitters apprentice..that was the start of the slow slippery slide into Northern soul addiction.

Within a week, my best friend had pushed the middle out, shaped into a plectrum for his guitar. Paul Arnott where are you now?? I've never forgiven you!

Social source share

Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing - Stateside.

bought it from Select-a-disc Nottingham for £10

I was earning £12 a week at the time as a gasfitters apprentice..that was the start of the slow slippery slide into Northern soul addiction.

Within a week, my best friend had pushed the middle out, shaped into a plectrum for his guitar. Paul Arnott where are you now?? I've never forgiven you!

god "Select-a-disc Nottingham" what a great shop that use to be.heap of s%$t now

Social source share

The first record I paid over £100 for was Tobi Lark "Happiness is here" (Topper) - won it on E-Bay about 5 years ago and crapped myself after, wondering how I was going to pay for it!!

Does anyone else go through the whole emotional range when finding records; the exhiluration on finding it, the guilt about spending money on a piece of plastic, the pleasure when putting the needle on the record, etc, etc, etc.!!

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I paid a fiver for Robert Parker's "I've Caught You In A Lie" in the summer of 1971. I used to hear it played out at every reggae do that I went to, and back then it was just about the rarest record I knew of, in soul or reggae.

My take home pay, at the time, was a little bit over eight quid, and I'd never spent more than two pounds on a record, including LPs. Went without a few weeks' worth of lunches, and bunked a few fares, to pay for that one, I can tell you.

Never paid more than a 'one-ner' for any record until the 1990s, when I broke my duck, twice in a month, with Melvin Moore "All Of A Sudden" and Tony Troutman "What's The Use".

If I thought about how many times I've paid out that and more since then, I'd probably have the world's greatest emotional meltdown....

Social source share

Does anyone else go through the whole emotional range when finding records; the exhiluration on finding it, the guilt about spending money on a piece of plastic, the pleasure when putting the needle on the record, etc, etc, etc.!!

Steve

EASTBOURNE

:thumbsup:

£30 - 18 years ago ...

post-2216-1178368311_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'd been buying soul records for 5-6 years, spending well less than a quid... when in 1974/5 I purchased a Garnett Mimms UK United Artists demo for the princely sum of £15.00 from Derek Sheldon.

I was earning about £11.00 a week at the time as an Apprentice Brickie!

Still remember the matrix number.... UP1130... and it set me off with a quest to own every UK released Soul record on Demo.

Never quite got there though! :thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Really can't remember, lookin' at 35yrs ago! Wages were soooo small then, probably everything I bought busted me! I know I got paid on Friday, and by Monday it had ALL gone on Soul, in one way or another, getting there, getting in, records etc. Didn't seem to matter then, could survive 'til friday on nowt. Think that was the root of why I don't drink. Beer or vinyl? Can't afford both, well..probably could, but no boose meant better vinyl than my mates could afford! Still makes me laugh, all these years later, when 'normal' types at work etc cant believe you would spend £50+ on a record, think you are mad, yet they happily spend the same getting p***ed 'round the town!

First record that really stands out in the memory as a lot of money, was early eighties I suppose. Getting paid £85 and immediatly going round to buy the Chandlers when it was THE big tune, and handing the lot over, then having to explain to me mum why I could'nt pay her any board that week!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Really can't remember, lookin' at 35yrs ago! Wages were soooo small then, probably everything I bought busted me! I know I got paid on Friday, and by Monday it had ALL gone on Soul, in one way or another, getting there, getting in, records etc. Didn't seem to matter then, could survive 'til friday on nowt. Think that was the root of why I don't drink. Beer or vinyl? Can't afford both, well..probably could, but no boose meant better vinyl than my mates could afford! Still makes me laugh, all these years later, when 'normal' types at work etc cant believe you would spend £50+ on a record, think you are mad, yet they happily spend the same getting p***ed 'round the town!

First record that really stands out in the memory as a lot of money, was early eighties I suppose. Getting paid £85 and immediatly going round to buy the Chandlers when it was THE big tune, and handing the lot over, then having to explain to me mum why I could'nt pay her any board that week!

Top Man ...... :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Al Williams Labeat demo from Soul Bowl late 70's for the princely sum of £20.00.

Before that it had been £5.00 for Herbert Hunter from Derek Sheldon, lot of money when still at school, I think it was crisp sarnies for a couple of weeks instead of school dinners to help pay for it. :lol:

Social source share

Al Williams Labeat demo from Soul Bowl late 70's for the princely sum of £20.00.

Before that it had been £5.00 for Herbert Hunter from Derek Sheldon, lot of money when still at school, I think it was crisp sarnies for a couple of weeks instead of school dinners to help pay for it. :lol:

I wonder if the copy of HH was my old one that Derek sold you .....

As for crisp sarnies ......... :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

How much???????????????

I'd charge you that for it now, never mind 6 or 7 years ago :lol:

The Yorkshireman's battle cry ........

Are you originally one of the children from here in God's county ? .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Roccia

How much???????????????

I'd charge you that for it now, never mind 6 or 7 years ago :lol:

Pete, I didn't know you, six or seven years ago... :lol:

Social source share

first 3 figure record, '87 or '88 Sir Ceasar on Ride, Show Me The Time. At the time it was a massive spin for Pat Brady, one known copy. Butch found 3 or 4, paid £150 for it. Carl Fortnum had one at the same time if I remember rightly.

Social source share

£6 for Shane martin on US Epic, at Wigan in 1974. The same night a british copy went for £12., I swapped the Shane Martin for A US Capitol End Of Our Love, Nancy Wilson. I did get an April Stevens UK Demo around the same time for £3, Sold it to My mate Sean Bimpson(RIP) for £8. Lot of meney then as an £11 a week 1st year aprentice.

Paul

Social source share

£19 quid for moses dillard and the dynamic showmen in 1982 ,i was 19 years of age at the time and took loads of cash to morecambe pier that i had saved for over a year,also bought the prominents on lummtone and the determinations on independent records off tim ashibende for a £10 each.Got home and the enorminty of what i had done sank in ,i ad such plans for that money!

BAZ A.

Social source share

The first record I paid over £100 for was Tobi Lark "Happiness is here" (Topper) - won it on E-Bay about 5 years ago and crapped myself after, wondering how I was going to pay for it!!

Steve

EASTBOURNE

I was lucky enough to get Tobi Lark from Soul Bowl around 74/75 for £3.50 I thought it a fair bit of money at the time. It's one of the few records I have left from that period and one I would never part with.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

I was lucky enough to get Tobi Lark from Soul Bowl around 74/75 for £3.50 I thought it a fair bit of money at the time. It's one of the few records I have left from that period and one I would never part with.

All the best

Manus

Manus,

I'll bet spending £3.50 on a record in 74/75 felt exactly the same as £100 in 2000/2001!!

You going to the all-nighter tomorrow night - perhaps we can swap stories on how good Tobi Lark is!!!!!

Steve

EASTBOURNE

Social source share

Hello Steve

It certainly felt like a lot of money at the time but well worth it. Really looking forward to tomorrows allnighter seems like a really good buzz about it. Maybe you can fit Tobi lark in. Pity about the Eastbourne nights folding used to really enjoy them.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Hello Steve

It certainly felt like a lot of money at the time but well worth it. Really looking forward to tomorrows allnighter seems like a really good buzz about it. Maybe you can fit Tobi lark in. Pity about the Eastbourne nights folding used to really enjoy them.

Cheers

Manus

Sure they'll be back... :lol:

See you tomorrow

Steve

Social source share

Betty Lloyd - I'm catching on.....

Sent a mate of mine off to Wigan one night saying "If so an so's still got that Betty Lloyd for 4 quid can you buy it for me"

"Sure no problem" He says. Sunday night in the pub we meet up "Got that Betty Lloyd " he says "but I quite like it so I think I'll keep it"

:angry: Paul

PS Worse thing is he didn"t even know the record "till I asked him to buy it for me!

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Hello to every one!

I was born in November, 1961. During the sixties, I heard the radio (I remember how I likes "Oh Happy Day" by Edwin Hawking Singers, "Reach Out" by 4 Tops,...) and the old turntable of my fathers (with old vynils by Platters, Drifters, Las Hermans Ben­tez,...) and, jointly with my sister (two year oldier than me), we acquired some 45's for heard on the "Faro" portable and monoarural turntable: from The Rubettes to Los Bravos, passing trough Isaac hayes, Billy paul, Pop Tops feat. Phil Trim... Until the summer of 1975, when I was 24 years old; I started to work as barman in a restaurant where I discoverd two PIR compilations (wich I only knows Billy Paul before as my sister got the "Brown Baby" 45). Little after I comes to the music store and acquired the "Ship Ahoy" album by The O'Jays. 31 years ago! I keep this album with the stick in gold color that says "Billboard - Mejor LP Soul 1974"

Social source share

Hello to every one!

I was born in November, 1961. During the sixties, I heard the radio (I remember how I likes "Oh Happy Day" by Edwin Hawking Singers, "Reach Out" by 4 Tops,...) and the old turntable of my fathers (with old vynils by Platters, Drifters, Las Hermans Ben­tez,...) and, jointly with my sister (two year oldier than me), we acquired some 45's for heard on the "Faro" portable and monoarural turntable: from The Rubettes to Los Bravos, passing trough Isaac hayes, Billy paul, Pop Tops feat. Phil Trim... Until the summer of 1975, when I was 24 years old; I started to work as barman in a restaurant where I discoverd two PIR compilations (wich I only knows Billy Paul before as my sister got the "Brown Baby" 45). Little after I comes to the music store and acquired the "Ship Ahoy" album by The O'Jays. 31 years ago! I keep this album with the stick in gold color that says "Billboard - Mejor LP Soul 1974"

Sorry, I should to say "in the summer of 1976, when I was 14 years old"

Social source share

tobi ledgend time will pass you bye demo bought it richard searling at the pendulum in manchester about half aweeks wages for an apprenice panter and decorator ,,, envy of my mates later at wigan when it was massive g hennigan and pete higson ,,, pete the first guy i knew that went stateside with italian enzo del bono early 70s ithink ,,, they met ollie mc laughlin ,,, brought back tons of great sounds for nothing we used to play them up in petes attic on his new ORANGE disco gear ,,,, great times ....

When recently listening to a compilation CD of old club classics , one particular track , besides the obvious memories associated with it , brought back the recollection that
it was the first record that I had really paid money for ......

The record was
Bud Harper " Mr Soul " .......

42 years on , I cannot recall now the exact price that I paid for it , but I know it cost me most of the weekly wage that I earned at that time .....

But it was worth it .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

when in 1974/5 I purchased a Garnett Mimms UK United Artists demo for the princely sum of £15.00 from Derek Sheldon. Sean

blimey Garnett Mimms thats spooky Sean! Seem to recall buying "Looking for you" on British for a tenner at a Rotheram 'School Of Dancing' all-nighter in March 1980* and thinking "I was in the big league now" hehe.

derek

Friday 21st March to be exact.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Malc Burton

£5 for Sandy Wynns on UK Fontana from Steve Glover in 1972.

(Prior to that, in early 1971 I'd had to walk 5 miles home from college after spending my bus fare on a US import of Mary Wells' "My Guy" of all things!)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All the best

Manus

Yes that Tobi Lark is a tremendous side. I had mine from Soul Bowl too, and you could usually rely on their records being in mint condition!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:Plaugh.giflaugh.gif Deja vu! Have you been reading my old diaries?? :thumbsup::lol::lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Magnetics I Have a Girl £30 and Lovers Without A Doubt £20, within a week in about 83, which was most of my weeks wages then!

Never paid more than that for years, (about 1990) until DJ'ng quite a bit bought one of the sounds of the day for £150 which was a lot lower % of my weekly wage by then, sweated over it for a week thinking have I just become one of those div's buying a record because its "trendy" for dj purposes, decided yes so sold the record and hung up my headphones!!

Social source share

Magnetics I Have a Girl £30 and Lovers Without A Doubt £20, within a week in about 83, which was most of my weeks wages then!

Never paid more than that for years, (about 1990) until DJ'ng quite a bit bought one of the sounds of the day for £150 which was a lot lower % of my weekly wage by then, sweated over it for a week thinking have I just become one of those div's buying a record because its "trendy" for dj purposes, decided yes so sold the record and hung up my headphones!!

Get them Headphones back on Jocko , :P

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Mary Love, you turned my bitter into sweet ,on uk King ,bought it off little Johnny from Wisbeach for £20 in 1977 at st.ives, would never sell it.!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert